Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveFootball

I feel like we spent our centre midfielder budget on Fred, can't see it happening unfortunately.
Sell Matic, Fellaini and Lukaku to found this deal, or offers Matic + money in a package to get him, he's that good.

Andersons Dietician

Cheers, sounds like someone we could get and might improve our team. But if we have a limited budget, I'd like us to address other areas of the team first.
True RW, CB probably more pressing but I would have thought he’d be around 50 mil and if others are interested it could go higher. Budget? I’ve always presumed that if the right players are available then funds are there to make a deal. There is probably some base 150 mil but that can stretch if needed.

1 problem I would say is I’d imagine that Fekir will go this year, be it this window or the summer and I’m not sure they’d want to sell Ndombele on top of that unless the offer is really good. Aulas the owner always gets a good deal for them so it won’t be easy.

Silas

Was screaming for us to get this guy in the summer instead of Fred, whoever was in charge of that deal needs a hiding.
Same. While I wasn't really enthusiastic about getting a B2B midfielder instead of someone like Thiago or Isco, Ndombele made far more sense than Fred.

Ekeke

Here’s a video that shows quite a lot of his attributes and what he can do but obviously it’s a YouTube compilation and the game is a lot more complex but at least you’ll have more of an idea what he is like.

Wouldn’t say he is Kante or Herrera levels in hunting balls down but if a ball is to be won and he can do something about it he will be quite aggressive in that pursuit.

If there is a comparison to be made it’s maybe a more athletically gifted Dembele of Spurs with better defensive attributes.
Dembele at Spurs, at least in his best seasons there, was a much better ball winner. Dembele in his career in the premier league has had several seasons where he won the ball double the amount N'Dombele has won the ball for Lyon this season. So what you probably missed was that in his best seasons Dembele did hunt the ball down like Kantes and Anders you mentioned.

N'Dombele's strength other than his physical power is as much as anything his passing.

While Dembele's passing was probably just a bit short of taking him to the next level as one of the elite midfielders in the premier league - he was a fine passer but he wasnt going to unlock teams with a deft pass.

N'Dombele has a bit more of an eye for finding his attacking teammates with good passes. More on the Carrick level there than the Dembele level imo. But with vastly obvious physical differences and not as reliable as Carrick at finding a good defensive position.

N'Dombele has 4 assists this season and compared to some other players in France playing the same kind of position, 1.6 dribbles per game isn't more than the others although he does win a couple of freekicks.

However he does have slightly more key passes than for example Sangare, Veratti and Auoar. At the same time these are generally short passes as he plays less long passes than these players so probably not as often using expansive and range finding passes like Carrick would sometimes do. Probably just good medium or short range passes into attacking players in good areas who can then get their shots away

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Dembele at Spurs, at least in his best seasons there, was a much better ball winner. Dembele in his career in the premier league has had several seasons where he won the ball double the amount N'Dombele has won the ball for Lyon this season. So what you probably missed was that in his best seasons Dembele did hunt the ball down like Kantes and Anders you mentioned.

N'Dombele's strength other than his physical power is as much as anything his passing.

While Dembele's passing was probably just a bit short of taking him to the next level as one of the elite midfielders in the premier league - he was a fine passer but he wasnt going to unlock teams with a deft pass.

N'Dombele has a bit more of an eye for finding his attacking teammates with good passes. More on the Carrick level there than the Dembele level imo. But with vastly obvious physical differences and not as reliable as Carrick at finding a good defensive position.

N'Dombele has 4 assists this season and compared to some other players in France playing the same kind of position, 1.6 dribbles per game isn't more than the others although he does win a couple of freekicks.

However he does have slightly more key passes than for example Sangare, Veratti and Auoar. At the same time these are generally short passes as he plays less long passes than these players so probably not as often using expansive and range finding passes like Carrick would sometimes do. Probably just good medium or short range passes into attacking players in good areas who can then get their shots away
Sounds like a Herrera but slightly less defensive

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Here’s a video that shows quite a lot of his attributes and what he can do but obviously it’s a YouTube compilation and the game is a lot more complex but at least you’ll have more of an idea what he is like.

Wouldn’t say he is Kante or Herrera levels in hunting balls down but if a ball is to be won and he can do something about it he will be quite aggressive in that pursuit.

If there is a comparison to be made it’s maybe a more athletically gifted Dembele of Spurs with better defensive attributes.
Always seems to be on the stretch or on the brink of falling over in that video. Must say that it didn’t look massively different to Bakayoko at Monaco.

I also echo the sentiments that I’d prefer a deeper more technical midfielder. De Jong preferably. I think Herrera has enough to partner Pogba ahead of that player, and Fred will be able to demonstrate over the next year if he can take that role. If not, maybe look for another b2b to replace Herrera later.

Ekeke

Sounds like a Herrera but slightly less defensive
I think he's a better passer than Ander, more in that Carrick category like I said. Just not quite as expansive.

Ander can pull out a nice pass once in a while but mostly sticks to just keeping the ball moving in a simple and effective fashion. Think N'Dombele will find that good pass a bit more often in general. But yeah defensively have me down for Ander all day.

Bobski

If there is a comparison to be made it’s maybe a more athletically gifted Dembele of Spurs with better defensive attributes.[/QUOTE]

I also get a little of Anderson from that comp, though perhaps more of a natural deep midfielder than Ando was.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Very similar in style perhaps but Ndombele offers something different to what Pogba do. Ndombele can play both a defensive role or a b2b role. If we can bring him here to play behind Pogba and alongside Herrera we'd have the best midfield in the world.
Highly disagree
Pogba at the World Cup has shown better defensive workrate and contribution than Ndombele ever did in his career.
Ndombele can't play a defensive role, Pogba actually can It's just that he'd be wasted there.

Ndombele isn't a DM and he doesn't want to be a DM

LoveFootball

Highly disagree
Pogba at the World Cup has shown better defensive workrate and contribution than Ndombele ever did in his career.
Ndombele can't play a defensive role, Pogba actually can It's just that he'd be wasted there.

Ndombele isn't a DM and he doesn't want to be a DM
So 7 games during the WC made Pogba a better DM now? We simply brush away the amount of time he was a failed experience there during the last 3 seasons?

Ndombele is a much better ball winner and has great workrate and positionning, reason why I said he can play there better than Pogba.

Andersons Dietician

Remember you’re comparing a guy who was in his prime at say 25-26 to a 21 year old and if you take Ndombele last season there stats are almost identical except for some obvious difference. Yeah Dembele made 3.6 tackles compared to Ndombeles 1.9 but watching them I would still say that Ndombele is more defensively astute than what Dembele was but each to their own on that, depends how much faith you put in stats vs watching what people do on the field but I just can’t recall Dembele ever actively hunting people down in the same manner as Kante or Herrera, for me if a tackle was there to be made then he made it which is why I made the comparison although Ndombele for me a much more physically gifted player.

Although for me Ndombele is not a DM, he is someone that could do a job there is asked but he’d be better in Herreras role within the current team make up, but I would imagine if Pep gets his hands on him he’d be Fernandinho’s eventual replacement.

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

So 7 games during the WC made Pogba a better DM now? We simply brush away the amount of time he was a failed experience there during the last 3 seasons?

Ndombele is a much better ball winner and has great workrate and positionning, reason why I said he can play there better than Pogba.
The fact that you think Ndombele has great workrate and positionning makes me question how much you've watched him play.
These are notoriously his flaws which he adressed by saying he was a striker for his youth teams and his coaches used to scold him for only making efforts when his team had the ball
Then he added that he feels he "shouldn't have to defend" when he plays lower ranked teams as Lyon is better and should dominate.

LoveFootball

The fact that you think Ndombele has great workrate and positionning makes me question how much you've watched him play.
These are notoriously his flaws which he adressed by saying he was a striker for his youth teams and his coaches used to scold him for only making efforts when his team had the ball
Then he added that he feels he "shouldn't have to defend" when he plays lower ranked teams as Lyon is better and should dominate.
You are talking about the player he was before coming to Lyon as he did address many of his flaws since.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's not exactly what he said and he didn't address it, he was asked about his flaws at youth level and he answered that he was too nonchalant. He then said that it's nice to chase and regain possession against teams like City that have the ball all the time. The interviewer then asked if it was less interesting to defend against smaller teams like Guingamp and Caen, he answered that it wasn't less interesting but that a team like Lyon should be the one with the ball instead of chasing after it all game.

marktan

Only caught the second half vs PSG but looked pretty impressive. Can break up play, drive forward and has a good pass on him. Could be the successor to Matic for us?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Only caught the second half vs PSG but looked pretty impressive. Can break up play, drive forward and has a good pass on him. Could be the successor to Matic for us?
More a successor to Herrera.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
More of a successor to Herrera for sure. Would be a brilliant signing if we could get him. A real powerhouse midfielder who is very good technically too.

Rauður Djöfull

Watched the game tonight mainly to have a look at him and I think he was superb, hope our scouts are at least keeping an eye, Ole was in the crowd as well

ash_86

No way we're paying 80 million euros for him. Maybe same we paid for Fred and that's it.

Silas

Really like him as a player. I think I might prefer us to get Aouar (I think his playstyle would compliment Pogba and Herrera more), but either would be a good addition. Assuming we did sign him, I guess that would mean Herrera becomes the Matic replacement (which I think would work). 80m euros seems quite steep though. Pereira will probably be off then, or used further forward to account for losing Mata.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

I’m all for this as I’ve been on the bandwagon since last summer but I’m not really sure where he would play unless he is replacing Herrera and we have Fred who realisticly should be a back up for that position.

He could probably do a job coming in every so often to replace Matic but not sure that would be the best use of his talents. If we did get him the depth in midfield would be stupidly strong. 60-80 seems about right in the modern market, hopefully closer to 60.

J_XO

Koulibaly & Ndombele. Just get a rw in and that's the treble sorted next season :drool:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to Le 10 Sports, which is the equivalent of the Daily Star..

Silas

Could always include Fred in some sort of deal.
Too soon ?
Yeah I thought about that. Could work tbh, but i guess it depends on him showing enough between now and the end of the season to interest them (or even us). Although, they did take Memphis off our hands and I could imagine Fred doing well there as well.

Scholsey2004

Always seems to be on the stretch or on the brink of falling over in that video. Must say that it didn’t look massively different to Bakayoko at Monaco.

I also echo the sentiments that I’d prefer a deeper more technical midfielder. De Jong preferably. I think Herrera has enough to partner Pogba ahead of that player, and Fred will be able to demonstrate over the next year if he can take that role. If not, maybe look for another b2b to replace Herrera later.
Yeah. I haven't seen a centre of balance like that since buster Keaton or Chaplin.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Isnt his midfield partners bigger talents - Tousart and Aouar?

sam147

Needs to focus on his strengths in passing the ball between the lines. He is good at making interceptions. Very loose in his dribbling and he doesn't have the frame Pogba does to hold of his man in the PL, seems easy for him to do in the French league. He has pace and can drive forward at times. He has high energy so he would fit in perfectly especially at RCM. Pogba-Neves-Ndombele is the perfect modern midfield. I would be happy with either Neves or Ndomele in our current state.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I still have confidence in Fred, and don’t think his position needs improving just yet. Between him and Herrera, I think we have enough for right CM, and I think Gomes can also get a few games there against the right opposition.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I still have confidence in Fred, and don’t think his position needs improving just yet. Between him and Herrera, I think we have enough for right CM, and I think Gomes can also get a few games there against the right opposition.
I'd like someone for Matic's role, he's the only one without a direct replacement, Herrera could play his role to an extent but it's not quite the same as having a proper deep-lying midfielder.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd like someone for Matic's role, he's the only one without a direct replacement, Herrera could play his role to an extent but it's not quite the same as having a proper deep-lying midfielder.
Indeed. It’s clear the club has very high hopes for James Garner, but he’s only about 17. McTominay is some sort of mascot and while signing a new long-term deal, there’s been little indication that he’s in anyone’s plans.

I’m a fan of Leander Dendoncker personally, think he’d be a great signing to understudy Matic. I also like William Carvalho.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Indeed. It’s clear the club has very high hopes for James Garner, but he’s only about 17. McTominay is some sort of mascot and while signing a new long-term deal, there’s been little indication that he’s in anyone’s plans.

I’m a fan of Leander Dendoncker personally, think he’d be a great signing to understudy Matic. I also like William Carvalho.
Yeah Garner's still a few years off, be a while before he starts trying to stake a claim in the first team. I really liked the look of Dendoncker when we played against Anderlecht in the EL, he was their best player over the two legs, not seen much of him at Wolves though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah Garner's still a few years off, be a while before he starts trying to stake a claim in the first team. I really liked the look of Dendoncker when we played against Anderlecht in the EL, he was their best player over the two legs, not seen much of him at Wolves though.
For whatever reason, Dendoncker didn’t play at all in the league for the first few months this season. He’s come into the side over the last month or so though and has been very impressive. He reminds me of Matic so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.