Tashan Daniel: Murdered on the London Underground

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Absolutely vile.

I grew up in London and always feared something like this would happen to me through no fault of my own. The amount of times someone would try and start for no reason with a “what are you looking at?”. There’s no response that gets you out of that situation and it’s only used because someone wants to fight.

I stopped sitting on the top deck of buses and then taking them altogether. I walked home with my phone in my sock or got lifts everywhere from my parents. It’s something that has always stuck with me. I can’t imagine what Tashan was feeling but it makes me feel sick. His poor family as well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Absolutely vile.

I grew up in London and always feared something like this would happen to me through no fault of my own. The amount of times someone would try and start for no reason with a “what are you looking at?”. There’s no response that gets you out of that situation and it’s only used because someone wants to fight.

I stopped sitting on the top deck of buses and then taking them altogether. I walked home with my phone in my sock or got lifts everywhere from my parents. It’s something that has always stuck with me. I can’t imagine what Tashan was feeling but it makes me feel sick. His poor family as well.
This is always an instigator. I remember once someone said that, to which I responded "not much". Had my mates not come round the corner at that exact moment, I'd have been in a fight.

Once I had a child, there was all that acid throwing crap going round. Me and my wife decided to relocate to Hemel Hempstead. It's quieter but still commutable to London.

Fridge chutney

Heartbreaking. I was viciously assaulted and almost died on a metro system when I was minding my own business. But I survived and so can't really complain. There are scumbags everywhere and hopefully those cretins who did that to Tashan will never be released into society again.

H10

Huseyin 10
This is always an instigator. I remember once someone said that, to which I responded "not much". Had my mates not come round the corner at that exact moment, I'd have been in a fight.

Once I had a child, there was all that acid throwing crap going round. Me and my wife decided to relocate to Hemel Hempstead. It's quieter but still commutable to London.
Yeah there's no way of answering that as the person asking is obviously seeking trouble. I've had one where I was asked why I was 'screw facing' his friend, when I wasn't even looking at either of them. I replied with a stern 'I wasn't' and despite there being 2 of them, I got my food and left before it escalated.

Growing up in a London estate I guess I was 'street smart' to know where I could go and where I couldn't. But yeah moved to outskirts of London as can't imagine my kids growing up in London either.

RedTiger

Half mast
Heartbreaking. I was viciously assaulted and almost died on a metro system when I was minding my own business. But I survived and so can't really complain. There are scumbags everywhere and hopefully those cretins who did that to Tashan will never be released into society again.
Wow fridge that came out of nowhere! Are you ok talking about or not?

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Absolutely vile.

Incredible that you felt you had to make these alterations to your life just so you didn’t face into a horrible situation through no fault of your own.

I’m sure this goes on in most societies but thankfully I’ve never really witnessed anything like this where I live. I’d like to think that if people did witness this kind of aggression/bigotry/racism someone would stand up but easier said than done.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Incredible that you felt you had to make these alterations to your life just so you didn’t face into a horrible situation through no fault of your own.

I’m sure this goes on in most societies but thankfully I’ve never really witnessed anything like this where I live. I’d like to think that if people did witness this kind of aggression/bigotry/racism someone would stand up but easier said than done.
There have been many instances of people ‘standing up’ and ending up getting beaten to death or stabbed, so really can’t blame people for not doing it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Yeah I was mugged three times growing up. Once at knifepoint. Left there when I was 23 and have had no desire to ever go back. Been encouraging my parents to move to a different city for so long now.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah I was mugged three times growing up. Once at knifepoint. Left there when I was 23 and have had no desire to ever go back. Been encouraging my parents to move to a different city for so long now.
Sorry to hear that man, must have been very traumatic. Something that stays with your forever I'd imagine.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The worst that ever happened to me in Toronto was that I was walking home up Yonge Street one night in a United top and some guy said to me "Manchester United sucks", to which I laughed, said 'you must be a gooner' and kept walking, as I went past and he saw the back of my shirt he continued with 'Ryan Giggs sucks, too". I laughed harder and kept walking. London sounds mental in parts. Is most of this after dark or does it go down during the day, as well?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sorry to hear that man, must have been very traumatic. Something that stays with your forever I'd imagine.
Yeah it shapes the way I am today. My gf used to find it odd that I would tell her not to keep looking at people acting odd or brazen on public transport but she gets it now. I’m pretty much always hyper sensitive to my surroundings.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The worst that ever happened to me in Toronto was that I was walking home up Yonge Street one night in a United top and some guy said to me "Manchester United sucks", to which I laughed, said 'you must be a gooner' and kept walking, as I went past and he saw the back of my shirt he continued with 'Ryan Giggs sucks, too". I laughed harder and kept walking. London sounds mental in parts. Is most of this after dark or does it go down during the day, as well?
Some guy walked up to me and told me he wanted to slit my throat. That was my third week there :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Some guy walked up to me and told me he wanted to slit my throat. That was my third week there :lol:
That was near CAMH, right? Not unusual and probably just posturing. Now that I think about it I had a couple of interesting encounters on the TTC and with an aggressive homeless person but never felt threatened.

Last edited:

Rajma

Tragic story. Looking back to my time spent in London I stayed in some dodgy places like Stratford/City Airport and sometimes would be walking back home while drunk through these areas at night on my own. Pretty stupid in the hindsight as I could have easily have been mugged or worse.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Horrible fecking scrote. Doesn't deserve to be alive.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I watched that vid last week, it was a terrible, senseless murder. The attackers really were just mooching about looking to start a fight.

He looked such a happy, nice guy too. Just going to the football with his friend, minding his own business.

Fridge chutney

Wow fridge that came out of nowhere! Are you ok talking about or not?
Yeah, it was unpleasant, but I'm back to normal after a few surgeries. The guys were lowlives looking for a victim, I think. They had weapons so I guess I'm lucky it wasn't worse. Poor Tashan wasn't so lucky.

People can be terrible.

RedTiger

Half mast
Yeah, it was unpleasant, but I'm back to normal after a few surgeries. The guys were lowlives looking for a victim, I think. They had weapons so I guess I'm lucky it wasn't worse. Poor Tashan wasn't so lucky.

People can be terrible.
Good to hear that you're back to normal. I wouldn't blame you if its still affecting you as I have many friends in my social circles who have lasting psychological problems after ultra violent incidents.

Keep safe brother.

Rajma

People can be terrible.
Glad you’re better mate. London housing prices will get a reality check in the upcoming decade imo with so many people beginning to work from home on permanent basis. It’s not really a great place to live in most cases.

dbs235

Tragic story. Looking back to my time spent in London I stayed in some dodgy places like Stratford/City Airport and sometimes would be walking back home while drunk through these areas at night on my own. Pretty stupid in the hindsight as I could have easily have been mugged or worse.
Making me think the same about myself now. Was often on the tube alone at night all over London a few years ago.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I lived in London for 10 years and never once felt threatened in any way. Most of this knife crime is gang related and if you’re too old or don’t look like you might be in a gang then chances are you won’t even be on their radar. Obviously no consolation to the family of this poor lad but does put the risk of it happening to anyone else into perspective.

Always a chance of getting mugged. Like every big city anywhere. But you can take sensible precautions to keep that risk to a minimum.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Toronto ain’t all hunky dory either. My brother has been stabbed outside a bar and jumped by about 10 people. I didn’t actually know about it until a year later when we’re at a bar and it happened to have the same bartender who recognized him as the “badass who fought 10 guys by himself.”

My other brother almost got caught in a mugging too around downtown. He’d went to use a port a potty and there was guys going round pulling the doors open and pulling knifes on the drunk people taking a piss who didn’t lock the door. He’s lucky his friend noticed shit was sketchy and they all followed and made sure nothing happened. As there ended up being a stabbing that night.

When I was back home in January, was also lucky the bouncers of a bar noticed some guys waiting outside for us looking for a fight and let us out the back door.

Unfortunately, some of my friends havent been so lucky with a couple being shot and another being hit with a car. There is a lot of wannabe thugs in Toronto just itching for a fight on a night out.

During the day there is less shit, although I never took much of the TTC. I can only remember on the GO train once when this guy pulled off his shirt ones and just paced up and down the train aggressively swearing. Was definitely a bit scared he was gonna attack someone.

London is another breed with the fecked up people on the tube though and at all times of the day. It’s like a regular occurrence of people yelling and swearing and always someone trying to punch and kick the train. Loads of people with the “what are you looking at” shit although surprisingly I’ve never seen it escalate beyond that. They always just posture and then walk away. It’s a fecked up place though, I saw someone being chased down my street with what looked like a machete a few weeks ago.

Even though I’ve probably seen more shit happen in Toronto, it does feel just way sketchier and unsafe in London. Walking through Stratford at 3am to head to the airport I used to be shitting bricks.

paulscholes18

Absolutely vile.

That’s true. Unfortunately Tashan wasn’t in any position to just walk away. Alex obviously set out that day to stab someone and to look for a tiny reason to do it

Fridge chutney

Good to hear that you're back to normal. I wouldn't blame you if its still affecting you as I have many friends in my social circles who have lasting psychological problems after ultra violent incidents.

Keep safe brother.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Thankfully it hasn't had a lasting effect, I'm all good now. But reading stuff like this article hits close to home. Can't imagine the trauma that Tashan's family is going through.

Fridge chutney

Glad you’re better mate. London housing prices will get a reality check in the upcoming decade imo with so many people beginning to work from home on permanent basis. It’s not really a great place to live in most cases.
Thanks mate. You might be right about housing prices London. That said, my experience was in North America (Toronto).

Tarrou

I've lived in Toronto and London. I never felt particularly threatened in either city to be honest. Though Toronto definitely felt more chilled out.

In London I'd avoid going east late at night if I could help it, but that's about it. In Toronto I'd sometimes get a bit unnerved by all the meth heads in and around west queen west, but they never actually bothered me.

Worth remember that the murder rate in London is still fairly low in comparison to a lot of big cities (including Toronto).

The risk of something horrific happening like in the OP is present in every big city though, sadly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have been told "what are you looking at" a couple of times. Last time was at a but stop in Coventry. In my experience, it's best to just keep quiet and ignore.

Eugenius

I grew up in London. I think basically in secondary school age there's a constant threat (assuming you live in the inner cities really) of getting mugged or harassed by someone. I think most of my school friends have had some aggro along those lines, without growing up or frequenting particularly dangerous areas of London. You always had to be careful about walking through a park alone, or even just walking on a quiet street in dark autumn evenings.

I've been attempted to be mugged twice, and quite frankly a lot of it is people being chancers and being able to steal someone's phone to brag to their friends or make a bit of money. Mainly people also of the same age.

Then there's the gang stuff where there's a lot of stupid post code stuff ('where's your ends?' etc) which is the more scary end of people who want trouble. And the odd nutter who just unfortunately wants to fight someone.

But as an adult literally I get zero hassle from anyone. I can walk through a completely unlit park without fear. Partly I guess gentrification has changed things. But I think there's just an age bracket where kids are easy targets and people think it's cool to mug and harass others.

paulscholes18

Minimum of 25 years for his killer, and his mate got 6.5 years in a young offenders institute