Music Taylor Swift

CoopersDream

Happy Eras Tour month!

Less than three weeks away from the concert I'm attending. Hard to think it's not gonna be a great show.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
They're still ridiculously expensive here. Dunno if the article goes into the relative price vs spending power in each country.
Probably didn't but I think Americans are better off using their money for a vacation and going to a concert while they're in another country. The price for her tickets are ridiculous. Why is it cheaper in some European countries? More laws to prevent price gouging?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The European prices aren't great but I can't imagine Swift does European tours that often (?) but those US prices are hilarious maddening.

No wonder she's rolling in it.

CoopersDream

Isn't that just because the demand is higher in the US and people are thus willing to pay more (given that there were like 15 million people who wanted tickets for the second leg with around 600k there should not be much surprise that there are a few who could pay a lot for them)? I would think that there is no actual non VIP ticket that went for $340 in Europe.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm sure she puts on a memorable show (you would think so) but I don't think there's any act out there I would pay over £100 to see let alone paying something in the region of 1K or 2K.

CoopersDream

How would you even keep this from happening though without also making it a very rigid system?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I'm sure she puts on a memorable show (you would think so) but I don't think there's any act out there I would pay over £100 to see let alone paying something in the region of 1K or 2K.
It's ridiculous, and people wonder why some don't like her and think she is overrated. You pay less for watching 2 of the best teams in the world playing football. You pay less for entire F1 weekend with good seats, and that lasts three days, and costs far more to organise.

So many people paying so much money for a music concert means that she is definitely one of most overrated things in the world. At least regarding entertaining industry, there is no doubt about that.

CoopersDream

It's ridiculous, and people wonder why some don't like her and think she is overrated. You pay less for watching 2 of the best teams in the world playing football. You pay less for entire F1 weekend with good seats, and that lasts three days, and costs far more to organise.

So many people paying so much money for a music concert means that she is definitely one of most overrated things in the world. At least regarding entertaining industry, there is no doubt about that.
But what does it matter that some people are willing to pay a lot of money to see Taylor Swift? It's not like these are the actual prices of the tickets. Disliking someone for this is essentially disliking them for being popular. It seems a bit daft.

CoopersDream

The way music concerts always used to be run. Fixed ticket prices. This whole fleecing as much money as possible out of your fanbase at each event is a new phenomenon.
Well second hand market has always been a thing. No music act has ever had this demand, though.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well second hand market has always been a thing. No music act has ever had this demand, though.
The second hard market isn’t one that’s driven by the greed of the artist. So not comparable. There have been plenty of incredibly popular artists doing live shows over the years (with fixed ticket prices). And I would say very few of them did as many live shows per year as Taylor Swift.

CoopersDream

The second hard market isn’t one that’s driven by the greed of the artist. So not comparable. There have been plenty of incredibly popular artists doing live shows over the years (with fixed ticket prices). And I would say very few of them did as many live shows per year as Taylor Swift.
But it's the second hand market that has these prices. There's no actual tickets left to buy for any of her concerts, so if the prices at this point is 2k, it's resale tickets.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But it's the second hand market that has these prices. There's no actual tickets left to buy for any of her concerts, so if the prices at this point is 2k, it's resale tickets.
Ah. Ok. Then I completely misunderstood. I thought it was some sort of official surge pricing model. If it’s just touts then that’s a story as old as the hills. And not the artists fault.

CoopersDream

Ah. Ok. Then I completely misunderstood. I thought it was some sort of official surge pricing model. If it’s just touts then that’s a story as old as the hills. And not the artists fault.
Bur of course it's still ridiculous. But then again, I know that a lot of people are flying in from Australia to see Taylor in Stockholm because it was relatively easier to get tickets here. Clearly people has a lot of money to spend.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
But what does it matter that some people are willing to pay a lot of money to see Taylor Swift? It's not like these are the actual prices of the tickets. Disliking someone for this is essentially disliking them for being popular. It seems a bit daft.
Because she is well known to being great girl and very kind to her fans? That's literally one of the main arguments why she has so many fans, Swifties, etc.

But I don't really dislike her, I don't care about her as a person, I just think she is very overrated as someone who entertains people because he is not worth the hype.

CoopersDream

Because she is well known to being great girl and very kind to her fans? That's literally one of the main arguments why she has so many fans, Swifties, etc.
Her being kind to her fans and whatnot wouldn't stop me from selling my ticket for 2k if I could and wanted.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Her being kind to her fans and whatnot wouldn't stop me from selling my ticket for 2k if I could and wanted.
There are number of options to stop that. If she actually cared. But again, I am not that bothered about her as a person, my point was that she is overrated considering how much people pay for it.

CoopersDream

There are number of options to stop that. If she actually cared. But again, I am not that bothered about her as a person, my point was that she is overrated considering how much people pay for it.
Has anyone actually managed to do that in good way? I can't remember a single high profile concert without a second hand market. The unique thing for Taylor though is her popularity which obviously skyrockets the prices.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Has anyone actually managed to do that? I can't remember a single concert without a second hand market. The unique thing for Taylor though is her popularity which obviously skyrockets the prices.
If fans were hoping to go to Japan the night before the Super Bowl to see Swift perform, the cheapest ticket currently available on StubHub is $310, while VIP packages run up to $7,450.
Buying her tickets from official reseller isn't cheap either.

MiceOnMeth

Taylors ticket prices are actually very reasonable if you manage to get one before they sell out in 0.0000003 seconds

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
But seriously it really should be against the law to charge that much for a ticket.
That's the real issue and no artist would advocate for some type of regulation because higher ticket prices means more money in their pockets. I understand the artists do have to make money but there should be a maximum amount tickets can be priced at. How can a normal person compete with verified resellers when trying to acquire tickets? They recently had a law put in place for all fees to be included in the prices because you would see a ticket for $100 but added fees takes it up to $200.

This is a good read.

Go Ahead and Blame Taylor Swift for Ticket Prices

Swift was no bystander to Tuesday’s meltdown. Like a growing number of popular entertainers and businesses, she and her representatives chose in advance to address what she knew would be huge demand through dynamic pricing. Associated before now mainly with airline tickets, hotel rooms, and Uber rides, dynamic pricing is a mechanism where the cost of something rises or falls within a short time span according to demand. Dynamic pricing usually works fairly well, but when supply and demand get seriously out of whack, things can go haywire.

Tuesday’s Taylor Swift sale was for a reserved segment of available concert seats sold in advance of other seats through Ticketmaster’s dynamic pricing system. Ticketmaster wasn’t the first to apply dynamic pricing to live performances: Broadway theaters have for decades been selling high-priced premium seats way up front in the orchestra. And according to Ticketmaster, the company never sells seats in this manner without explicit consent from the performing artist. If this person doesn’t want Ticketmaster to sell premium seats, Ticketmaster doesn’t do so.

CoopersDream

Taylors ticket prices are actually very reasonable if you manage to get one before they sell out in 0.0000003 seconds
Yeah, they certainly were decently priced in Sweden. Obviously there was some VIP packages that were expensive (as those I bought) but in general decent prices, certainly better then some other acts. Then that resellers can get much more because of the huge demand is another story.

Sweet Square

That's the real issue and no artist would advocate for some type of regulation because higher ticket prices means more money in their pockets. I understand the artists do have to make money but there should be a maximum amount tickets can be priced at. How can a normal person compete with verified resellers when trying to acquire tickets? They recently had a law put in place for all fees to be included in the prices because you would see a ticket for $100 but added fees takes it up to $200.

This is a good read.

Go Ahead and Blame Taylor Swift for Ticket Prices
Thanks for this. Really interesting.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I can't actually understand why so many people are fixated with Taylor Swift. Her songs are lame and she is a semi decent singer at best.

It's a shame that artists such as her and One Direction get so much hype from young people, whilst ignoring actual great musicians.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I can't actually understand why so many people are fixated with Taylor Swift. Her songs are lame and she is a semi decent singer at best.

It's a shame that artists such as her and One Direction get so much hype from young people, whilst ignoring actual great musicians.
One Direction? Is it 2015?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

32 songs in the top 55. Beyond ridiculous.
I don’t really care about Taylor Swift one way or the other, but I do think things like this are completely meaningless in the modern era, aren’t they? I mean clearly she’s the first to do it so kudos and whatever, but also no one actually buys records much anymore so being able to get loads of tracks off a popular album in a chart that mostly goes off steaming numbers is kinda, nothing? Isn’t it? Like it’s basically self fulfilling for the most popular person in the first real era where this is a thing?

I see she’s apparently going to break Madonna’s record for something or other soon, but also… she’s not, is she? Not really. As whatever record it was Madonna set it in an age where people had to actually go out and physically buy the record in a place, which is just much more impressive and indicative of its genuine cultural significance.

It’s like the Avatar films being the biggest films ever by dint of everyone seeing them in 3D and IMAX which are necessarily more expensive tickets, when actually Gone With The Wind or Jurassic Park or whatever were actually seen by significantly more real people and ended up having way more impact on the cultural memory.

Basicallt Taylor Swift is the Avatar of music is what I’m saying. Am I? Yeah, sure. That sounds like something.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don’t really care about Taylor Swift one way or the other, but I do think things like this are completely meaningless in the modern era, aren’t they? I mean clearly she’s the first to do it so kudos and whatever, but also no one actually buys records much anymore so being able to get loads of tracks off a popular album in a chart that mostly goes off steaming numbers is kinda, nothing? Isn’t it? Like it’s basically self fulfilling for the most popular person in the first real era where this is a thing?

I see she’s apparently going to break Madonna’s record for something or other soon, but also… she’s not, is she? Not really. As whatever record it was Madonna set it in an age where people had to actually go out and physically buy the record in a place, which is just much more impressive and indicative of its genuine cultural significance.

It’s like the Avatar films being the biggest films ever by dint of everyone seeing them in 3D and IMAX which are necessarily more expensive tickets, when actually Gone With The Wind or Jurassic Park or whatever were actually seen by significantly more real people and ended up having way more impact on the cultural memory.

Basicallt Taylor Swift is the Avatar of music is what I’m saying. Am I? Yeah, sure. That sounds like something.
Most of the grossing numbers for films are adjusted for inflation and Avatar still did exceptionally well - just slightly behind Gone with the wind. Whether people like it, Avatar is culturally relevant, in the same way Taylor Swift is. Which doesn't speak to their artistic merit or quality, but it's a bit of a weird point to try to make.