Team America at the World Cup

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Most peoples money is going to be on Germany to win the group. Including me.

Second place is going to be a tough call. I think it will be between Portugal and Ghana but who knows. If the US turn up and get a shock result they could easily be in running.

I suppose that is the beauty of only playing each team once in the group stage. A surprise result can turn the entire group on its head.

I think I will say Germany and Portugal to qualify from that group though.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I hate America when they play football (and call it soccer, like it sucks and is for suckers or something).

All their great athletes go to NFL or NBA or whatever. And they're clueless about how real football is a sport that requires technique and vision as much as strength or pace (so their athletes are gone to different sports, but what about their Xavi/Iniesta non athletic players?).

USA have what, 300 million inhabitants? Uruguay has 3.5 million, so the whole of Uruguay is 1.5% of the USA, yet they have a football team that's 20 times as talented, simply because they are not ignorant over the sport.

I hope the USA fade away and don't come back until they realized that football is a proper game, and at least half of their squad has to be able to play real football, not just run and look like idiots.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I hate America when they play football (and call it soccer, like it sucks and is for suckers or something).

All their great athletes go to NFL or NBA or whatever. And they're clueless about how real football is a sport that requires technique and vision as much as strength or pace (so their athletes are gone to different sports, but what about their Xavi/Iniesta non athletic players?).

USA have what, 300 million inhabitants? Uruguay has 3.5 million, so the whole of Uruguay is 1.5% of the USA, yet they have a football team that's 20 times as talented, simply because they are not ignorant over the sport.

I hope the USA fade away and don't come back until they realized that football is a proper game, and at least half of their squad has to be able to play real football, not just run and look like idiots.

:lol: spastic

Moonwalker

:lol:

RedBistro

Who's in the squad?

Brad, Brad, Brad, Brad, Brad, Clint, Jed, Ned, Tim, Timothy, Terrence, Landon, Kyle, Dwayne?

Lyricist

I'm German and in 2010 I think aside of Spain the best team Germany came up against was Ghana.

Germany and Ghana were pretty equal in that game but you could tell some of the Ghanaian players were better athletes. Both teams had the same amount of chances, in the end though Germany won through a shot from outside the box by Özil.

I've been reading quite a bit of American media since the draw of the group stages and it always strikes me as crazy that Ghana is considered to be by far the worst team in the group. I think they have a great squad and on paper (no offense) look more dangerous than the USA. I could totally see the group to be wide open. Portugal in 2012 could've easily drawn or beat Germany (though this time Podolski and Gomez won't start, instead Reus, and some other player of his calibre will step up for Germany).

I really think that Group G will provide top class games, I can't wait for this to start.

Good luck to you guys too!

Reactions: Eboue

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm German and in 2010 I think aside of Spain the best team Germany came up against was Ghana.

Germany and Ghana were pretty equal in that game but you could tell some of the Ghanaian players were better athletes. Both teams had the same amount of chances, in the end though Germany won through a shot from outside the box by Özil.

I've been reading quite a bit of American media since the draw of the group stages and it always strikes me as crazy that Ghana is considered to be by far the worst team in the group. I think they have a great squad and on paper (no offense) look more dangerous than the USA. I could totally see the group to be wide open. Portugal in 2012 could've easily drawn or beat Germany (though this time Podolski and Gomez won't start, instead Reus, and some other player of his calibre will step up for Germany).

I really think that Group G will provide top class games, I can't wait for this to start.

Good luck to you guys too!
In 2010, Ghana was pretty fortunate to beat the US in extra time in a largely even game. Germany are by far the best team in the group. Portugal have Ronaldo but the rest of the squad is uninspiring. Most of Ghana' star players are getting old now. The US squad isn't amazing but they've put together some very good performances.

I hope we can get revenge for Germany's cheating in 2002 to knock us out of the quarters though. :lol:

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I hate the USMNT. I half agree with @Henrik Larsson because they truly are ignorant of the sport. Half of North Americans will tell you 'soccer' is a pussy sport and that Football or Baseball are the biggest sports in the world. Seriously, I know people who genuinely don't believe football is as big as baseball and hand egg globally. A lot of people at my high school thought football was a joke.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Everyone had written off the US prior to when they played POR in WC 2002 but they went 3-0 up after 30 mins and ultimately held on for the win.
I remember it cos I was holding my infant son trying not to wake him while the goals were going in.
I don't expect the same this time though. My son is about 150 lbs now. ;)

The 1st game is crucial. Shocker, I know.
If they can win then they have a chance to advance. Otherwise I think they're screwed.

justboy68

Just because the majority of the US are ignorant of the beautiful game is no reason to hate on the ones that actually do follow it. If anything they deserve even more respect for showing such enthusiasm for the game even though it is traditionally far removed from their culture. I hope they do decently well, at least enough to not put a scupper in football's development over there (could that be a realistic fear if they get absolutely twatted?). Maybe they will beat Ghana third time lucky.

From what I know of their team it really is short on quality although they make the most of what they've got. Michael Bradley is huge for any chances they might have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Lyricist

In 2010, Ghana was pretty fortunate to beat the US in extra time in a largely even game. Germany are by far the best team in the group. Portugal have Ronaldo but the rest of the squad is uninspiring. Most of Ghana' star players are getting old now. The US squad isn't amazing but they've put together some very good performances.

I hope we can get revenge for Germany's cheating in 2002 to knock us out of the quarters though. :lol:

I don't think you're giving Ghana or Portugal enough credit. Portugal, despite struggling to qualify for the Euros or the WC directly in recent years has still always qualified...in the past 2 big tournaments (Euros and WC) they've been knocked out by Spain each time and they've done well against them I thought. Portugal has great players aside of Ronaldo, players like Vierinha might even make the American starting eleven despite not being first choice for Portugal (I think). A Portuguese team is currently playing the second EL final in a row. Joao Moutinho, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Quaresma, Nani, ... are all good and very experienced players, reducing the team to just Ronaldo is wrong in my opinion.

I saw USA vs Ghana in 2010 and I wouldn't exactly say Ghana was lucky! Maybe they weren't heads and shoulders above the USA but I think to suggest they were lucky is stretching it a bit. Ghana's players are getting older, so what...they're just growing in experience and their squad really isn't overage or anything like that. Talking about Ghana being lucky in 2010, if anything they were incredibly unlucky not to be in the semis. Remember Suarez' handball? Had it not been for that they'd have been the most successful African team at a world cup ever by reaching the semis.

I'm not writing the USA off or anything but I've got huge respect of Portugal's skill, Ghana's athleticisim, and the USA's spirit. Butin the end the other teams in the group have a good spirit as well and it will take the USA a lot to match the individual class of some of these teams.

Let the national team watch a couple of Hollywood underdog sports movies before the tournament and it might just work out. :D

Reactions: crappycraperson

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

:lol: what a rant. Some of it is correct but a lot of it is stereotyping. I coached there for 10 years and it is the biggest sport by far at the grassroots level. They pour a lot of money and time into it. What they need it better coaching at the top level and they would be a much stronger football nation.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
what are the permutations for the USA meeting Russia in the KO's? They'll finish last in this group like they did in 06.

txred

A lot of love flowing in this thread I see...

This group turned out basically as bad as it could have for the USA. I guess the law of averages held true after the very easy group last time around. It's unfortunate, really, because this squad, for all its detractors home and abroad, is much improved from the last World Cup. I mean, we brought (and played!) Edson Buddle and Robbie Findley ffs.

At any rate, you'd have to fancy us to finish last or third at best. The most crucial matchday is surely the first, with Ghana v USA and Germany v Portugal. If the US can nick all three points and Germany win by two goals or more (4-0 please), then maybe we can begin to hold out hope for an unlikely progression. To be honest, the last time these two teams met (Ghana), I thought we were the better side overall. It obviously means nothing, but both of their goals were due to massive brain lapses by defense and Tim Howard (Howard certainly didn't cover himself in glory with his positioning). That's obviously the sign of a poor team, but to dismiss the US entirely or to say they can only hope for a point might be a bit much. Or it might not...

The US are certainly very polarizing as a squad; overrated by many Americans and many neutrals underrate them. A year ago, with Dempsey playing decent in England, Altidore playing well in the Netherlands and for his country, and Bradley doing a job a Roma, I was very optimistic that we could make a splash in 2014. Bradley and Dempsey are now playing well in the MLS, though it's the MLS, and Altidore was probably one of the worst forwards in the Prem this season. Our back line is young, but often unspectacular and we're still heavily reliant on the old guard of Donovan, Dempsey, and Howard. Is Klinsmann capable of magic? Will our other foreign imports shine (on my count, we could have as many as five starters being foreign-born/naturalized citizens)? It obviously remains to be seen. American fans like myself will do well to temper our expectations, but I hope the players are doing the exact opposite. At the very least, a decent level of quality play might be something to build on as we try to change the setup and perception of football in this country.

Reactions: Annihilate Now!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Players who won't make it or shouldn't: Parkhurst, Beckerman, Edu, Wondolowski, Bedoya, Chandler, and Beasley. The problem is three of them are fullbacks.

The rest have potential or something to offer. At least Riccardo effin Clark isn't in the squad.

Gerald G

I think it'll be tighter than expected between USA, Portugal and Ghana but Germany will win it. Ghana always seem to perform well in the big tournaments. They seem fully motivated. Portugal usually struggle in the qualifying but perform on the big stage too. I'll still go Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA.

NM

Let's do this! Germany, Ronaldo, and Ghana in the same group. Who will make the final 23?
So true! Portugal is Ronaldo.. You guys will beat Ghana I think. The key will be the Portugal game. If you can get something, it will be big. The order of fixtures will be key too.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So true! Portugal is Ronaldo.. You guys will beat Ghana I think. The key will be the Portugal game. If you can get something, it will be big. The order of fixtures will be key too.
We play Ghana, Portugal, then Germany. Portugal in Manaus.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Let's do this! Germany, Ronaldo, and Ghana in the same group. Who will make the final 23?
Germany, well what can anybody say on this,they will be luck to keep the scoreline down.
Ronaldo, I think he well drift past their back line with ease tbh, despite a shaky Portugal side I don't even see them getting a point.
Ghana: Will be an interesting match I think,Ghana are an ageing team but the USA's stars aren't spring buds.

My group prediction
Team Points
Germany 9
Portugal 4
Ghana 2
USA 1

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
:lol: what a rant. Some of it is correct but a lot of it is stereotyping. I coached there for 10 years and it is the biggest sport by far at the grassroots level. They pour a lot of money and time into it. What they need it better coaching at the top level and they would be a much stronger football nation.
Obviously I was trying to be a bit provocative, it's the 'oh, do you play sucker' what bothers me the most. But your post has made me very curious, because, for instance, I'm from Holland and I believe the Dutch FA has roughly 1 million people registred as football players on 16 million inhabitants.

If you substract the seniors (over 40 years old still playing) there are roughly 600.000 footballers in Holland. If you look at the 20 best, there's talent like Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, but also good players like Huntelaar, Kuyt (not anymore obviously), Afellay, Nigel de Jong, Strootman, etcetera.

My question is: if you say (and I know that's true) that football is so popular at younger levels in America, they have money, how come USA don't have any decent players at all? Dempsey was alright, but not even on Kuyts level, same goes for Donovan. Johansson and Altidore are laughable. From what I recall football has been popular in the states for a while now, looking back George Best played there, Cruijff did, that's thirty fourty years ago.

And like I said, I understand that a lot of the great athletes (Phil Jones, Pepe, Khedira-like players) choose other sports because of the money and popularity. But how many (young) footballers are there in the USA? I would say more than a million for sure, so that's more than in Holland, more than in Belgium, more than in Portugal, more than in Uruguay, etc. Yet they haven't produced one Schalke 04/Everton level creative footballer.

My guess would be because they had no succes and have no football know-how, they are genuinely clueless about what football is about and how to select and judge young players, how a youth academy should be set up and all. But it's not exactly rocket science and the info is not really secret, so how come they literally don't have any talent at all while they have 300 million (that's more than Brazil who could build 3 world class squads) inhabitants?

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
One of the problems with US soccer is that youth development is done, for the most skilled players by travel teams outside of school or other less expensive and more inclusive areas. You need money and a big commitment from a family to participate in travel teams that require players to pay fees and have their players transported large distances for tournaments. As a result, a kid may show promise at a young age in a pee-wee league, and see talented friends join travel teams. This kid's family may not have the money or time to dedicate to such a team-and so less talented players from more committed families move up the ladder.

I think this has a big effect on Hispanics-many of whom come from strong soccer cultures-but may not have the money to participate in the suburban-based travel team system.

RedTiger

Half mast
I reckon Wondolowski should go to brazil due to his international form being quite good so far as well as being a good player to bring on in the last half hour if they need a goal. The only real problem for them is the back line, otherwise the attackers and midfield will give the other teams problems.

Shady

Someone should post Jeff Stelling's rant about "Team...". Annoys me.

CantonaGiggs1

Oh great, the American bashing thread.

Just because they don't like a sport does not make them ignorant. They just don't give a shite about it (and never will).They have tried to like it and it just doesn't happen. It is what it is.

I am sure many of you hate American sports. It doesn't mean you are ignorant about it, you just do not like it(no matter how much exposure you were to have to them).

P.s Football in America will always be a kids' sport ( till the age of 12)

margarito86

Players who won't make it or shouldn't: Parkhurst, Beckerman, Edu, Wondolowski, Bedoya, Chandler, and Beasley. The problem is three of them are fullbacks.

The rest have potential or something to offer. At least Riccardo effin Clark isn't in the squad.
Brooks and Green shouldnt be on there either.

Honestly, i thought Torres could have turned out to be a solid player under Jurgen.. But doesnt seem like Jurgen fancied him. I'm not sold on Omar Gonazales, but i'd take him over brooks.

If anyone saw the first half of USA vs Mexico in march, you would see that Jurgen has done quite the job.. then the second half happened and mexico showed some good play. I think the US will shock some people - and i'm glad we are being underestimated; it will be that much sweeter. You can take my word for it, US will make it ot of the group stage.