Team America at the World Cup

Mali_Zeus

Could someone explain to me how MLS works, does it work through draft system like NBA and other am. sports? I heard something like homegrown players, clubs taking players who were born in their town but havent trained there. something like that.

AlwaysRedwood

Could someone explain to me how MLS works, does it work through draft system like NBA and other am. sports? I heard something like homegrown players, clubs taking players who were born in their town but havent trained there. something like that.
Yes, they draft players from American colleges. But the players coming out of college declines every year. 10 of this year's squad spent some time in US colleges. But it's quite different from the NBA because there aren't that many good players. Draft is very small. Just 3 rounds.

MLS has invested $20 million in the Academies, so they are looking at home grown talent. The players are trained by coaches who have been sent to Clarefontaine in France to gain their UEFA coaching badges. These academies were set up in 2007, so they are new and the players coming out of them are just making names in MLS.

There was only one player in this year's squad who was a product of the academies. DeAndre Yedlin. And he was impressive.

So, the next world cup, you will see an entirely different breed of young US soccer players.

The term homegrown has nothing to do with the geographic relation to the club. Homegrown just refers to training players to play European type football here in the states by our own coaches.

Mali_Zeus

Yes, they draft players from American colleges. But the players coming out of college declines every year. 10 of this year's squad spent some time in US colleges. But it's quite different from the NBA because there aren't that many good players. Draft is very small. Just 3 rounds.

MLS has invested $20 million in the Academies, so they are looking at home grown talent. The players are trained by coaches who have been sent to Clarefontaine in France to gain their UEFA coaching badges. These academies were set up in 2007, so they are new and the players coming out of them are just making names in MLS.

There was only one player in this year's squad who was a product of the academies. DeAndre Yedlin. And he was impressive.

So, the next world cup, you will see an entirely different breed of young US soccer players.

The term homegrown has nothing to do with the geographic relation to the club. Homegrown just refers to training players to play European type football here in the states by our own coaches.
I see, thank you for your explanation. :)
Idea of academies is very good. And I was impressed exactly by Yedlin, never heard of him, but had a very good game vs Belgium. Do you think with this academies and all will American team be better in 4 years and technically more equipped?
This team doesnt lack in moral, atmosphere and self confidence by any means, but they do lack in quality.

AlwaysRedwood

I see, thank you for your explanation. :)
Idea of academies is very good. And I was impressed exactly by Yedlin, never heard of him, but had a very good game vs Belgium. Do you think with this academies and all will American team be better in 4 years and technically more equipped?
This team doesnt lack in moral, atmosphere and self confidence by any means, but they do lack in quality.
Much better in 2018. Vastly better in 2022