Team America at the World Cup

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
One of the problems with US soccer is that youth development is done, for the most skilled players by travel teams outside of school or other less expensive and more inclusive areas. You need money and a big commitment from a family to participate in travel teams that require players to pay fees and have their players transported large distances for tournaments. As a result, a kid may show promise at a young age in a pee-wee league, and see talented friends join travel teams. This kid's family may not have the money or time to dedicate to such a team-and so less talented players from more committed families move up the ladder.

I think this has a big effect on Hispanics-many of whom come from strong soccer cultures-but may not have the money to participate in the suburban-based travel team system.
Yeah I see, that explains a little bit. But then again, Jaap Stam has never played in a youth-academy. Just his local amateur side playing on sunday training two or three times a week. He joined their first team aged 16 finished school played with his brother and mates until the age of 20 getting drunk after matches. Aged 20, he went on trials at a small second division club, joined their second team and built up from there. Same goes for Dirk Kuijt, he also played for his local amateur team up until he was 18. And that's just two players I know off, I'm sure there are plenty of examples. African players for instance, playing on the streets bare footed or at low level village clubs until age 16 or 17.

So perhaps the problem is more in recognizing talent, I don't know how many footballers between age 16-20 there are in America. But on 300 million inhabitants I'm sure there are some, and it doesn't really matter what level or academy they play if you do your scouting right, you must be able to have some true quality players.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Yeah I see, that explains a little bit. But then again, Jaap Stam has never played in a youth-academy. Just his local amateur side playing on sunday training two or three times a week. He joined their first team aged 16 finished school played with his brother and mates until the age of 20 getting drunk after matches. Aged 20, he went on trials at a small second division club, joined their second team and built up from there. Same goes for Dirk Kuijt, he also played for his local amateur team up until he was 18. And that's just two players I know off, I'm sure there are plenty of examples. African players for instance, playing on the streets bare footed or at low level village clubs until age 16 or 17.

So perhaps the problem is more in recognizing talent, I don't know how many footballers between age 16-20 there are in America. But on 300 million inhabitants I'm sure there are some, and it doesn't really matter what level or academy they play if you do your scouting right, you must be able to have some true quality players.
Jaap Stam would definitely be the exception not the rule right? Since most Dutch players were in academies at young ages.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
One of the problems with US soccer is that youth development is done, for the most skilled players by travel teams outside of school or other less expensive and more inclusive areas. You need money and a big commitment from a family to participate in travel teams that require players to pay fees and have their players transported large distances for tournaments. As a result, a kid may show promise at a young age in a pee-wee league, and see talented friends join travel teams. This kid's family may not have the money or time to dedicate to such a team-and so less talented players from more committed families move up the ladder.

I think this has a big effect on Hispanics-many of whom come from strong soccer cultures-but may not have the money to participate in the suburban-based travel team system.
Also those travel teams play way too many games a year. Which leads to very little practice time and many overuse injuries.

Henrik Larsson

Jaap Stam would definitely be the exception not the rule right? Since most Dutch players were in academies at young ages.
Well not really, there are plenty of examples like Kuyt and Stam just in Holland over the last 25 years. Van Basten for example played for amateur sides from his hometown until Ajax signed him aged 17 or 18. And we're one of the most developed countries world wide if you look at football academies and stuff, so obviously a lot of our players went through academy, but a lot of players also didn't.

Like I said, look at the African or South American poor underdeveloped countries who still have ridiculous amounts of talents. And even more importantly: general opinion is that players like Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart are just natural talents, same goes for Rooney or Gerrard. Yes they went through academies, but if they hadn't, they would have at least been 95% of the players they are today. You can't really teach them a lot, they develop by just playing loads of regular football, break through in first team aged 16 or 17 when they're not even fully grown because they are so naturally skilled already.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well not really, there are plenty of examples like Kuyt and Stam just in Holland over the last 20 years. Van Nistelrooy for example, didn't go to an academy, just his local amateur side. Joined a second league side (so that's lower than MLS) aged 17 and grew from there. And we're one of the most developed countries world wide if you look at football academies and stuff, so obviously most of our players went through academy because there are so many.

But like I said look at the African or South American poor underdeveloped countries who still have ridiculous amounts of talents. And even more importantly: general opinion is that players like Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart are just natural talents, same goes for Rooney or Gerrard. Yes they went through academies, but if they hadn't, they would have at least been 95% of the players they are today. You can't really teach them a lot, they develop by just playing loads of regular football, break through in first team aged 16 or 17 when they're not even fully grown because they are so naturally skilled already.
But all the other guys you mentioned were in academies at young ages. And what do you mean by natural talent? You think they got out of bed one day and suddenly they were fantastic Footballers? To become an elite Footballer you need natural talent, but you often also need the right guidance and the right training.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The issue is that many of the most talented athletes don't see football as a career choice in the US. MLS players don't make tons of money and are fairly low exposure throughout large parts of the country, especially the southeast where American football is king. In other countries, football is the universal sport because you can play it anywhere. Here, there are basketball courts or hoops everywhere; American football and baseball can be played anywhere as well. Football is typically middle- or upper-class because of the cost of travel teams, leagues, etc. In European countries, training and development is low cost, free, or players get paid for it. Here, it costs thousands of dollars a year to be a member of a travel team where the best players play.

There are millions of regular Americans who could have been amazing players but focused on other sports that they couldn't feasibly go pro in because of physical limitations. If the people who aren't big enough for the NFL and NBA had changed focus to soccer in their youth, the talent pool here would be enormous. However, how many inner city kids in the US watch football or even play it? Virtually none. It's most prominent in suburbia.

Henrik Larsson

But all the other guys you mentioned were in academies at young ages. And what do you mean by natural talent? You think they got out of bed one day and suddenly they were fantastic Footballers? To become an elite Footballer you need natural talent, but you often also need the right guidance and the right training.
Marco Van Basten too, was voted two or three times Best Footballer in the World and he played for local amateur sides until age 17 or 18, no academy. And like I said the list goes on and on. And yes, some other ones were at academies because their talent was so obvious, they got scouted at a young age. But without the academy they still would be brilliant. Young talented players just need a stage where they can develop by playing football as much as possible, preferably against older opponents, but level of the opponents doesn't matter that much, it just has to be challenging for them (like Stam, Kuyt and Van Basten playing at an amateur first team aged 15 or 16 already against fully grown men in their prime). Robben and Rooney for instance they just played a couple of years for various youth squads at their hometown club (everton and groningen), mostly with older players, never with or against players the same age, until they made first team debuts at very young ages, both 16.

Wes Brown and John O'Shea on the other hand, both brought up in the famous Man United academy. Joined first team aged 18, trained and played with the best players in the world for over ten years. Ten years, almost everyday, with the right guidance and training and they hardly developed as players. That's how important having natural born football talent is. And yes you're just born with that, you have to develop it by playing a lot.

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Obviously I was trying to be a bit provocative, it's the 'oh, do you play sucker' what bothers me the most. But your post has made me very curious, because, for instance, I'm from Holland and I believe the Dutch FA has roughly 1 million people registred as football players on 16 million inhabitants.

If you substract the seniors (over 40 years old still playing) there are roughly 600.000 footballers in Holland. If you look at the 20 best, there's talent like Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, but also good players like Huntelaar, Kuyt (not anymore obviously), Afellay, Nigel de Jong, Strootman, etcetera.

My question is: if you say (and I know that's true) that football is so popular at younger levels in America, they have money, how come USA don't have any decent players at all? Dempsey was alright, but not even on Kuyts level, same goes for Donovan. Johansson and Altidore are laughable. From what I recall football has been popular in the states for a while now, looking back George Best played there, Cruijff did, that's thirty fourty years ago.

And like I said, I understand that a lot of the great athletes (Phil Jones, Pepe, Khedira-like players) choose other sports because of the money and popularity. But how many (young) footballers are there in the USA? I would say more than a million for sure, so that's more than in Holland, more than in Belgium, more than in Portugal, more than in Uruguay, etc. Yet they haven't produced one Schalke 04/Everton level creative footballer.

My guess would be because they had no succes and have no football know-how, they are genuinely clueless about what football is about and how to select and judge young players, how a youth academy should be set up and all. But it's not exactly rocket science and the info is not really secret, so how come they literally don't have any talent at all while they have 300 million (that's more than Brazil who could build 3 world class squads) inhabitants?
Basically poor kids can't afford to play it. I had a lot of immigrant kids in my team mostly Mexicans and others from central and south america. We had to find ways of subsidizing their fees and it was a pain every year.

Henrik Larsson

Basically poor kids can't play it. I had a lot of immigrant kids in my team mostly mexicans and others from central and south america. We had to find ways of subsidizing their fees and it was a pain every year.
So more of a practical case, like transportation to a football club, equipment, monthly fee for the football club and all? I can see that, although I would normally say football is the cheapest sport in the world, all you need is a ball. But in America it's pretty expensive?

AR87

I was born and raised in American and player football from the age of 5 locally and then from 7-18 I was on a travel team and played for my high school as well from 14-18. Most of the problem is as somebody mentioned earlier that playing games is prioritized over training and perfecting skills. Additionally practice is often not more than just playing 7 v 7 or some iteration of that with little tactical input from the coach or manager. This is basically the case for nearly all levels of the game at youth level. As a result when you're playing so many games, winning becomes the priority over actually developing talent.

I was the best player on my team tactically and in terms of keeping possession, but because A) I'm Indian and B) I'm not particularly tall, strong or very athletic I basically was just shunted out to play as our left back. The logic was simply that since I wasn't particularly physically gifted I should play defense and that I had the best left foot on the team except for the one guy on the team that was actually a lefty and played in front of me on the left wing. I don't really care to go in depth about my struggles, but my point is simply that the prioritization of certain skills is a direct reflection of what is valued at youth level.

This has been very evident in the USMNT under every coach prior to Klinsmann as the only real qualities that we possessed were great fitness levels and athleticism. Other than that the team was atrocious technically and in terms of build up in attack and defensive organization. Dempsey and Donovan were solid players, but neither is particularly brilliant that they should ever be the best players on the team around whom the team should be built around. Obviously even under Klinsmann we aren't great technically or tactically, but there is definitely a shift in what is being prioritized on the field.

Ultimately another major problem is that there are 4 other major sports in this country which offer better coaching and easier paths to professional level in basketball, American football, baseball and hockey. There's definitely been a large increase in the level of interest in football in the USA over the last decade and it is part of the national consciousness to a level it wasn't before. Comparing the USA's lack of success to smaller countries like the Netherlands or Uruguay is stupid because the best athletes in America will always move to other sports and the best soccer players in the USA will not receive proper instruction to develop.

Also to dismiss the USMNT because the population at large doesn't care for the sport or because fans don't truly understand the game is ridiculous. I probably have a far greater understanding of the nuances of basketball or American football than the majority of fans of these sports in the UK or abroad elsehwhere, but that doesn't somehow make me more worthy of caring about the results of the game. The USA isn't the only country with stupid uneducated fans that fail to grasp the finer points of football.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
So more of a practical case, like transportation to a football club, equipment, monthly fee for the football club and all? I can see that, although I would normally say football is the cheapest sport in the world, all you need is a ball.
Not in America mate, everything is money in America. Theres uniform fees, coaches fees, tournament fees, hotel and travel costs etc etc. The Mexicans for example most of their parents just worked all the time and had little time or money to invest in a sport that for all intents and purposes their kids play for free with each other in the park everyday. It was a battle to deal with this situation and then combine these kids in with rich white kids. But I made it happen most years and had some brilliant teams.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Marco Van Basten too, was voted two or three times Best Footballer in the World and he played for local amateur sides until age 17 or 18, no academy. And like I said the list goes on and on. And yes, some other ones were at academies because their talent was so obvious, they got scouted at a young age. But without the academy they still would be brilliant. Young talented players just need a stage where they can develop by playing football as much as possible, preferably against older opponents, but level of the opponents doesn't matter that much, it just has to be challenging for them (like Stam, Kuyt and Van Basten playing at an amateur first team aged 15 or 16 already against fully grown men in their prime). Robben and Rooney for instance they just played a couple of years for various youth squads at their hometown club (everton and groningen), mostly with older players, never with or against players the same age, until they made first team debuts at very young ages.
But, you are assuming that players who played in amateur sides were not getting proper coaching. A lot of the amateur sides you mentioned were probably the equivalents of a League 2 side in England or a Serie C side in Italy.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
@Henrik Larsson You're right in that all you need is a ball and cleats. The expense comes in for paying to support the infrastructure required for providing quality coaching. Some travel teams in my area (DC suburbs) often go 4-500 miles for tournaments to play other elite junior teams. This is expensive. Moreover, elite travel teams employ coaches-which are also expensive.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Obviously I was trying to be a bit provocative, it's the 'oh, do you play sucker' what bothers me the most. But your post has made me very curious, because, for instance, I'm from Holland and I believe the Dutch FA has roughly 1 million people registred as football players on 16 million inhabitants.

If you substract the seniors (over 40 years old still playing) there are roughly 600.000 footballers in Holland. If you look at the 20 best, there's talent like Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, but also good players like Huntelaar, Kuyt (not anymore obviously), Afellay, Nigel de Jong, Strootman, etcetera.

My question is: if you say (and I know that's true) that football is so popular at younger levels in America, they have money, how come USA don't have any decent players at all? Dempsey was alright, but not even on Kuyts level, same goes for Donovan. Johansson and Altidore are laughable. From what I recall football has been popular in the states for a while now, looking back George Best played there, Cruijff did, that's thirty fourty years ago.

And like I said, I understand that a lot of the great athletes (Phil Jones, Pepe, Khedira-like players) choose other sports because of the money and popularity. But how many (young) footballers are there in the USA? I would say more than a million for sure, so that's more than in Holland, more than in Belgium, more than in Portugal, more than in Uruguay, etc. Yet they haven't produced one Schalke 04/Everton level creative footballer.

My guess would be because they had no succes and have no football know-how, they are genuinely clueless about what football is about and how to select and judge young players, how a youth academy should be set up and all. But it's not exactly rocket science and the info is not really secret, so how come they literally don't have any talent at all while they have 300 million (that's more than Brazil who could build 3 world class squads) inhabitants?
I'm from India. We are still qualifying for Asian Cup. Lolzy

Henrik Larsson

But, you are assuming that players who played in amateur sides were not getting proper coaching. A lot of the amateur sides you mentioned were probably the equivalents of a League 2 side in England or a Serie C side in Italy.
Nope not even the equivalent of a Serie C side or something, Holland is a small country. What I mean is that you don't actually need that much of an academy to produce have great players.

Ad I find it so difficult to understand why there haven't been any in the USA at all basically, while there have been a lot of people who play football there.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Even Canada has over 30 million people and we can't provide the proper infrastructure for kids to go on and do something with football. Imagine 300 million and the best talent you can produce is Clint Dempsey and Landon fecking Donovan.

Henrik Larsson

I'm from India. We are still qualifying for Asian Cup. Lolzy
Yeah but, and I mean no disrespect, India (as China) is a very, very poor and underdeveloped country if you compare it to the United States of America, so that's a different situation. China for instance has the biggest population, but how many Chinese are struggling to feed themself, living in rural areas and such? I don't know, but I'd guess 30 or 50% or something? I image they have other priorities than playing football.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I hope something goes awry and the USA accidentally beat Germany. The Kroos and Reus fanboys here would be butthurt for weeks!

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Yeah but, and I mean no disrespect, India (as China) is a very, very poor and underdeveloped country if you compare it to the United States of America, so that's a different situation. China for instance has the biggest population, but how many Chinese are struggling to feed themself, living in rural areas and such? I don't know, but I'd guess 30 or 50% or something? I image they have other priorities than playing football.
You can hardly call Uruguay developed, but you included them because it suited your opinion.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Not at all, plus I answered everyone. Or do you mean I'm not right about the fact that you don't need quality academies to get quality players?
It's not a priority for young athletes. Simple answer. Soccer, as you condescendingly bring up repeatedly, is not the best option for the top young players.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
It's not a priority for young athletes. Simple answer. Soccer, as you condescendingly bring up repeatedly, is not the best option for the top young players.
To be fair, it also requires a radically different skill set to the one most decent athletes in the US will aspire to, surely? Your top athletes are going to be pushed down the "be a beast" route subconsciously I reckon so by the time they realise football is a thing they might be good at I'd imagine they're already well on the way to being a NFL/NBA "athlete" rather than a footballer.

Henrik Larsson

You can hardly call Uruguay developed, but you included them because it suited your opinion.
Not at all man, what is your problem? My question is exactly the same for India, China and the United States, why have they not produced any special talent? But since India and China have very different cultures, political histories and are less developed than the USA, I can see a lot of reasons.

Whereas the USA, who share a lot of similarities with Europe, I am very curious about the reasons why, because I can't see any real obvious ones like in China or India.

I used Uruguay to show that even very small countries inhabitant wise can still have great teams. For instance Uruguay 3.5 million people, 50% female = 1.75 million men. Let's say 1/3 has the right age and plays football that's 600.000 footballers. Surely there are 600.000 footballers in America in the same age category, how come Uruguay has way more talent? Uruguay don't have better sport academies that USA, if they're underdeveloped like you say, that's for sure. Football is a lot more popular/only way out there, that's a reason why there could be a better level, but it still leaves questions.

Eboue

To be fair, it also requires a radically different skill set to the one most decent athletes in the US will aspire to, surely? Your top athletes are going to be pushed down the "be a beast" route subconsciously I reckon so by the time they realise football is a thing they might be good at I'd imagine they're already well on the way to being a NFL/NBA "athlete" rather than a footballer.
Lots of good hockey, baseball and football players that aren't psychical beasts.

Eboue

Not at all man, what is your problem? My question is exactly the same for India, China and the United States, why have they not produced any special talent? But since India and China have very different cultures, political histories and are less developed than the USA, I can see a lot of reasons.

Whereas the USA, who share a lot of similarities with Europe, I am very curious about the reasons why, because I can't see any real obvious ones like in China or India.

I used Uruguay to show that even very small countries inhabitant wise can still have great teams. For instance Uruguay 3.5 million people, 50% female = 1.75 million men. Let's say 1/3 has the right age and plays football that's 600.000 footballers. Surely there are 600.000 footballers in America in the same age category, how come Uruguay has way more talent? Uruguay don't have better sport academies that USA, if they're underdeveloped like you say, that's for sure. Football is a lot more popular/only way out there, that's a reason why there could be a better level, but it still leaves questions.
Maybe your attitude is the reason you aren't getting the responses you want.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

I do not know what else we need to tell you. The posters on here have hit almost all of the major points.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Nobody wants the yanks to become a force in international footy. That'd be fecking awful. They've already got far too much influence as it is.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Nobody wants the yanks to become a force in international footy. That'd be fecking awful. They've already got far too much influence as it is.
They won't until most of the kids play it on the streets. Like Eboobé's been saying, their best sportsmen will gravitate to other sports.

Not sure that nobody wants them to though. I'd imagine a fair few US folk probably want them to become a force, for a start.