Teams you've supported/watched for a short time - not including big clubs

Big Andy

Bloke
My family is split 50/50 City and United, so I was taken to Maine Road a lot by my uncle when I younger. My dad was a steward at old Trafford so I was always going in the red direction.

Now I follow Wrexham and Chester as they’re the nearest teams to me.
Wrexham is now my "local team" although trying to get tickets is like pulling teeth currently.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Back in the Football Italia days with James Richardson and Peter Brackley, Internazionale were my second team because they kept signing players I loved. Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Bergkamp, Pancev, Recoba. I also had a soft spot for Parma because of Zola, Asprilla, Sensini, Stoichkov…

Italian Football in the 90s was utterly mental. So many teams had world class players, players who are still legends today, and all that the same time; Milan, Inter, Juventus, Parma, Fiorentina, Roma, Lazio, Sampdoria, Napoli. And even teams like Genoa, Torino, Brescia, and Udinese, had players I dreamed of United signing!

Borninthe80ts

I think a few folk see it like me. In the 90’s I think I found football more enjoyable generally to watch and the style of teams seemed more contrasting. Football Italia was a staple in the house also so following teams from those eras was fun too.

I liked Sampdoria for periods during Pagliuca days Mancini days. Parma was mentioned and they had a few teams that did well in Europe in the Uefa cup. Milan with Savicevic in 94 set a new standard for a while in club football too.

I’d also throw in Mendieta and Aimars Valencia, Valeron’s Deportivo and Veron’s Lazio too. All had different styles and provided entertainment for me.

USREDEVIL

I liked Chicharito so i watched Bayer Leverkusen. Was fun, and i liked their other striker Stefan kiesling and the coach Roger Schmidt.

BuzzKillington

Went through a bit of a Stockport county phase in the late 90’s. My dad used to have a pub on Castle Street in Edgeley, which was like the Mos Eisley of pubs back in the day. As a 15 year old, finding a nice seat towards the back and getting a few sneaky beers whilst watching the local idiots and travelling scum punching the feck out of each other pre match was a good Saturday afternoon out. Could usually get a free ticket to the football later too as an added bonus.

I even went to Wembley to watch them take it on the road for the Autoglass final vs Stoke.

Stopped going sometime after that when City, on one of their numerous relegation stints, donated all their fans for a few seasons. It seemed much less palatable when the Munich chants started coming out.

USREDEVIL

Went through a bit of a Stockport county phase in the late 90’s. My dad used to have a pub on Castle Street in Edgeley, which was like the Mos Eisley of pubs back in the day. As a 15 year old, finding a nice seat towards the back and getting a few sneaky beers whilst watching the local idiots and travelling scum punching the feck out of each other pre match was a good Saturday afternoon out. Could usually get a free ticket to the football later too as an added bonus.

I even went to Wembley to watch them take it on the road for the Autoglass final vs Stoke.

Stopped going sometime after that when City, on one of their numerous relegation stints, donated all their fans for a few seasons. It seemed much less palatable when the Munich chants started coming out.
That's what Americans picture as a typical English childhood tbf :lol:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I used to watch football Italia every weekend growing up as a kid.

Always had a soft spot for AC Milan throughout the years. I know their a big club but that's literally my only other team I've shown interest in.

BuzzKillington

That's what Americans picture as a typical English childhood tbf :lol:
For a working class kid in the 90’s growing up in the Northwest it’s not atypical :lol:. I feel like watching random violence was a common theme of my youth. Can’t remember the last time I saw a fight, it was a weekly occurrence back then.

Baneofthegame

Portsmouth, where both my grandad and dad were born, plus nearby in Fareham now so a lot of my mates support them, not sure there’s a better home support in all 4 divisions to be honest.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Sassuolo 2019 - 2021. I was a fervent admirer of De Zerbi's work at Sassuolo. So much so, that in his time there, he became my second favourite active manager in the sport.

Shaktar Donetsk 2020-2022 - I started watching them because I enjoyed the metronomic Brazilian midfielder, Marcus Antônio. I was particularly enamoured by his performances at the U17 World Cup with his performance against Spain amongst others a stand out performance to my untrained eye as he appeared to have a semblance of serenity when in possession. So, when he joined Shaktar in 2020, I saw it as an opportunity to see him more often. Really liked Antonio's performance against an established midfield in Real Madrid. Then a year later, my second favourite active manager game (De Zerbi) joined them, it gave additional reason to watch them. With De Zerbi at the helm, I have fond memories of watching them play against Genk in the UCL qualifier, seeing the La Pausa in full effect was beautiful to see, and such a poignant contrast to fast paced intensity I'm used to in the EPL.

RC Lens 2021-2022 - Primarily to watch games of Cheick Doucouré as I had difficulty trying to watch RC Lens in Ligue 2, but once they got promoted I was able to watch in in 2021/2022.

Stuttgart 2020/21 - The exuberance of the side makes them a really enjoyable side to watch. Perhaps the most notable thing was the frequency in which they were having shots on goal.
González's ball retention in tight spaces. The exuberance of Wamangituka. Sosa's involvement in facilitating play on the left flank. The midfield conduit of Endo and Mangala. The dogged work of Klimowicz. The fleet footed Coulibaly at their disposal. There was a lot to like about that side. I do think the standout game was spectacle between Hoffenheim vs Stuttgart. I found it somewhat intrinsically beautiful the way Stuttgart frequently had 5 players in the box when the time hadn't reached 30 minutes yet. They were quite clearly going for it, and the efforts were rewarded as they got a second. In this way, the balance had once again turned, as the visitors were now in the driving seat. The game took another twist as Hoffeinheim scored the equaliser just a few minutes into the second half. With momentum shifting, it was the visitors that conceded again as now Hoffeinheim were leading. Just when you think they might do just enough to hang on, a goal from Stuttgart equalized in one of the last kicks of the game. It was probably the game I enjoyed watching the most in 2021 as it had
*An early goal in both halves
* Several shots from both sides
* Both sides took the lead
* A goal in the 90+ mins
* Six goal thriller

Victoria Guimares 2019-2022 - Initially to watch Marcus Edwards, then I noticed the brilliance of Edmond Tapsoba whose time there was sadly short lived.
Marcus Edwards

He initially caught my interest with his impressive performances for Spurs and England at youth level.

This is taken from a post of mine in 2017

In this post I was proven to be incorrect when I predicted it was only a matter of time before Edwards was introduced in the starting berth for Spurs. Pochettino would reveal how he was disappointed by his attitude, and mentality. As illustrated below:

Marcus Edwards has admitted to having a questionable attitude -

However, it seems like going out of his comfort zone (currently plays in Portugal for Vitória S.C) has brought some much needed maturity.

One area which Marcus Edwards has matured in his game is his eagerness to receive the ball.

The above is from a game against Benfica this season.

Here he receives the ball by the touchline, and his immediate reaction is to pick out his teammates, as opposed to dribbling with his head down in an attempt to do it all by himself. This has been a criticism of him in the past. To digress for a brief moment, it was very recently when Daniel James received criticism for playing with tunnel vision against Man City, going for goal when Bruno Fernandes was in a better position.

I particularly liked this moment against Benfica. Nice vision here, tantalisingly close. It was put to a halt as the keeper came out. But the idea was good.

Before

Now against Porto, he once again has the ball up. This time its when he's moving at pace.

After

Perfect execution here as this defence splitting pass leads to one of the best opportunities in the game.

Marcus Edwards vs the big three in Portugal

Benfica:
It was an encounter where Vitória S.C. put in an admirable performances. Not a one sided affair by any stretches of the imagination. Without mentioning the instances of the pictures above, there was a moment of individual brilliance with a dribble in a tightly congested area. In terms of position, he was consistently situated in dangerous areas. Sometimes he was offering himself as an outlet by staying wide and providing width, other times he was finding himself in between Taarabt and Pires, other times positioned by the half spaces.

Porto:
So apart from the defence splitting pass which is in an image above, he had other noteworthy moments.The game against Porto offered a different dynamic to the one against Benfica, as Porto were very dominant. In any case, Edwards had a shot cleared off the line, with the keeper beaten. In the latter stages of the game he almost got a pre-assist,

Sporting CP:
• 5 of 7 dribbles completed
• 5 shot contributions
• 4 fouls won
• 1 goal

European Stage
Scored against Arsenal and Eintracht Frankfurt.

There was another moment against Arsenal I liked .... a flee footed dribble which started from his own half and ended by him advancing to the opposing box at a very high pace.

Areas he can improve

Sometimes he can be a bit soft. There was a moment against Benfica where Taarabt barely touched him, and he was on the floor. He did win a free kick, but I felt it was soft myself. Additionally, he's one footed, I remember him shifting his body to do an outside of the boot pass with his dominant left footed, instead of the much simpler option with just using his right foot. In the dying stages of the game against Porto, he did a fantastic job of trapping the ball dead, beat a player from that standing position, and then he spoiled it by attempting another a dribble. A dribble which wasn't neccessary, even if it was successful. The moment needed a desperate shot, or a last ditch pass. On that note, I'd like to see him shoot more.

How difficult would it be to get him?

He has a £13.6 million release clause to my knowledge. Potentially great from his perspective too, as I spotted numerous occasions where he was let down by his teammates.

Ignores the run of Edwards, and squares it instead.
Edwards in space, full back turns around
Edwards free on the right, player dribbles to the left touchline and then gets dispossessed

Stats:
FWR (Forward right) - 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 appearances = 7.85 WhoScored rating
AMR (Attacking midfield right) - 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 appearances = 7.41 WhoScored rating
MR (Midfielder right) - 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 appearances = 6.90 WhoScored rating

Sevilla 2016/17 & Marseille 2021/22 - Quite simply because Jorge Sampoali is my favourite active manager in the sport.

Getafe 19/20 - 2022 - They aren't the quintessential Spanish side exceedingly comfortable in possession. They cede possession in an attempt to stifle the opposition, they exaggerate contact, feign injury, make niggling fouls to disrupt the rhythm of the game and then plead their innocence to the refs, goad players to get underneath their skin, try to get players booked, dogged running out of possession, defensive qualities, long balls etc. They remind me of a cross between Stoke under the tutelage of Tony Pulis, and Jose's Chelsea that were time wasting from the first minute in the game which Gerrard slipped. The difference in the encounter between Real Madrid and Getafe was a very late penalty. Against Ajax, they didn't concede a single shot on goal in the first leg. A real clash of philosophies which made it a cracking game albeit not from an aesthetic standpoint. It was entertaining seeing the hostility in their encounters against Barcelona. I wouldn't dare watch Getafe vs a midtable side as their football is brutal to watch.

Tony Pulis' Stoke - Similar reasons to Getafe.

Sheffield United 19/20 - Took an interest in them because of their overlapping centre backs

For 23/24 I'm excited to see Braga, Fluminense, Burnley and Spurs

Moriarty

Bury back in the day when Les Shannon was the manager. The Cemetery End at Gigg Lane was always loud and you could walk around the ground at half-time if you wanted. The had an old wooden kids' stand that you could sit in. The pies were great too. In those days, when United were away, Bury were at home so if I couldn't travel, I'd go with a few mates to Bury. Games against Bolton were tasty. Man, I can even remember Franny Lee playing for Bolton and Colin Bell playing for Bury.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Last few months I’ve been very interested in learning more about Portuguese soccer history and in particular started to read about Belenenses and huge legends of the club like Amaro, Matateu, Vicente, Feleicano, Pepe, and Artur quaresma and overall the huge history this club has. After their split with the administration the fake Belenenses has stayed in the league and were known as B-SAD however the real Belenenses and former champions of Portugal had to start from the lowest tier. I’ve since been accompanying them and was pleased to see they are now in the second division of Portugal. Massive Clube who used to be the third of the big three before Porto.

Another club I began learning and respecting more is Marítimo of Maderira, great club with a passionate fan base Some huge Portuguese players played for them during pre war era and they also have been champions of Portugal. Last season they were relegated to the second division but during the promotion play off game I loudly cheered when they scored a 90th minute goal to send the game to extra time, however they lost in penalties.

Cloud7

Leicester during that Leicester season.

Dortmund under Klopp although Dortmund aren’t a small team by any means, that was the first time in my memory/lifetime they were in the public eye like that.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I used to borrow Reading when I lived down there and I still keep an eye on their results.

When I was living in Spain, I had a main borrowed team (Valencia) and various random other teams I watched depending on where I was working and who I was working with - Elche, Hercules and even occasionally Levante were the bigger names amongst those.

I like live football, so I've been to quite a few matches as a neutral depending on where I was living/working at the time. About 5 minutes after arriving as a neutral I've more or less always picked a side, sometimes that lingers on after the match. More commonly though I'm only a fan for the rest of the match :D

Chip

Probably bordering big clubs, but used to really like Valencia and Dortmund as they were entertaining underdogs with an actual chance of challenging/winning a title once in a while.

Especially Valencia with Aimar, Kily Gonzalez, Mendieta, and Baraja and Dortmund with Koller, Rosicky, Ewerthon, and Ricken.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Boca Junior is another team I'm quite fond of.

JuriM

I loved to watch Malaga when they had Isco, Eliseu, Portillo, Roque Santa Cruz etc.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Went through a bit phase of following San Marino Calcio after playing as them on Football Manager.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
Much like a few others mine is influenced by football italia on channel 4 but still follow Roma pretty much just cause of Totti

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Bury back in the day when Les Shannon was the manager. The Cemetery End at Gigg Lane was always loud and you could walk around the ground at half-time if you wanted. The had an old wooden kids' stand that you could sit in. The pies were great too. In those days, when United were away, Bury were at home so if I couldn't travel, I'd go with a few mates to Bury. Games against Bolton were tasty. Man, I can even remember Franny Lee playing for Bolton and Colin Bell playing for Bury.
I used to go to Bury late 70's early 80's when United were playing away, changing ends at half-time as well, used to go to Rochdale and Stockport from time to time as well, mid 80's I used to do hospital radio in Stockport, they played at home Friday nights, the radio team did a commentary from the press box there, I stood in a couple of times when the regular guys were away, because of the roof you could only see 2/3rds of the pitch and it was pissing down usually, it was fun but TBH I was pretty crap at it!

Revaulx

Gillingham when I was at university; it wasn’t particularly close and the football was generally dire but it felt like a proper afternoon out.

That’s about it in terms of active support. I generally like Yorkshire teams that aren’t Leeds, and the smaller London clubs. Blackpool’s spell in the PL was quite compelling, partly because they played nice football but also because their owners made ours look top class.

Gasolin

What is a not a big club?

I watched Parma FC when they had young Buffon with Cannavaro, Thuram, Chiesa, Dino Baggio, etc... and even when they had Crespo.

I also watched Jeju FC in Korea a bit.

As well as Nantes when they had N'Doram, Makelele, Cauet, Ouadec, Gourvennec, Pignol... especially when they played in the CL against Juventus.

Also PSV when they had van Bommel, Park, Lee, Vogel, Cocu, Farfan and Hesselink, when they were playing against Milan AC in the CL.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Napoli when Cavani was there. Wolfsburg with Dzeko & Grafite. I used to watch a lot more football back then.

Revaulx

Gillingham when I was at university; it wasn’t particularly close and the football was generally dire but it felt like a proper afternoon out.

That’s about it in terms of active support. I generally like Yorkshire teams that aren’t Leeds, and the smaller London clubs.

Toblerone92

Milwall as I can see their ground from my house and one of my mates is a season ticket holder and Crewe Alexandra as they’re my father’s team.

I got to 5-10 games a season for each plus various other London clubs as it’s difficult to get to United.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Middlesbrough in the late 90s when they got to two cup finals and got relegated in the same season, with Ravanelli, Juninho and Emerson in the team plus Robbo as manager.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Isn't that like following United and Liverpool? :lol:
Yeah they hate each other! But having not grown up in the area I don’t have that hatred. I just enjoy watching the football…although getting a ticket for Wrexham is near impossible now, so I guess I’ll be going to more Chester games.