TeamViewer looking to review current deal | Snapdragon/Qualcomm will be the new sponsor

Sparky Rhiwabon

Haven’t the EPL put a block on ownership linked sponsorships to stop Newcastle inflating their revenue? Team viewer have been unhappy for months - this hasn’t come out of the blue - and we signed the deal during the pandemic when the financial world was very different so likely can get more anyway.
Yeah, this is what I was going to say, TeamViewer have been looking for a way out of the deal, I doubt that this is anything to do with potential owners.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah, this is what I was going to say, TeamViewer have been looking for a way out of the deal, I doubt that this is anything to do with potential owners.
The TeamViewer talks only started when a board member questioned the reasoning behind the deal, stating it was “appalling judgement” for a company that only makes $50m in revenue a year. They’ve been looking for a way out of this because they can’t afford to pay it, so it’s within United’s best interests to let them go and find someone that can pay them.

RedDevil@84

I am so confused with the use of the word "buyout".
Why do we need to pay them when they were the ones who wanted out?

crossy1686

career ending
I am so confused with the use of the word "buyout".
Why do we need to pay them when they were the ones who wanted out?
It’s a buy back, so they paid us for so many years, we’re going to pay them back ‘some’ money in order to end it early and get someone else in for more money. Whatever we pay them will be less than what they paid us and it’s probably in the small print as an option.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Everyone knows who Amazon are, why would they want to be on our shirts?
There was perhaps baseless rumours that tech giants are looking at sports teams.

E.g. Apple, Amazon.

it's a tiny bit of their operating revenue per year (what United would cost, they turn those kind of profits in a day).

But the likes of Amazon would use it to make documentaries, have content and build United to be a superpower again.

(probably baseless claims though)

red thru&thru

I was joking taking into account that they've been linked as being prospective new buyers.

However, well known organisations do sponsor the shirts of football teams.

Ps, why do Amazon sponsor Napoli's sleeve?

Brophs

The One and Only
I know it’s what happened with TeamViewer, but generally shirt sponsorships aren’t for the purposes of introducing people to the existence of a company they’d never heard of before. Just that constant presence on tv, media etc. is what they’re looking for. Ubiquity across sports media makes sense for anyone with the money to pay it.

crossy1686

career ending
I was joking taking into account that they've been linked as being prospective new buyers.

They do? I didn’t know that. Maybe Amazon don’t do well in Italy?

I thought it was a joke to be fair but they have a pretty good strong hold in the UK, or at least I thought they did.

Mmm-Qatarian

Haven’t the EPL put a block on ownership linked sponsorships to stop Newcastle inflating their revenue?
I have a feeling this would only apply if the money coming into the club was reported as "sponsorship revenue", or something to that effect.

Don't take me at my word because I'm not certain on this at all, but were a company to purchase United and then decide to put their own name on the shirt, I can't see why the league would have an issue.

Mmm-Qatarian

They do? I didn’t know that. Maybe Amazon don’t do well in Italy?

I thought it was a joke to be fair but they have a pretty good strong hold in the UK, or at least I thought they did.
To be clear, I don't think for a second that Amazon are going to buy United. If they were to do so, though, I doubt it'd be Amazon that went on the shirt - they'd probably go with one of their subsidiaries. (They might use the shirt to advertise Prime, for example)

red thru&thru

I could see a big sponsorship deal coming in which would look after the shirt sponsorship, renaming of OT/Carrington, as part of the refurbishment/rebuild.

red thru&thru

To be clear, I don't think for a second that Amazon are going to buy United. If they were to do so, though, I doubt it'd be Amazon that went on the shirt - they'd probably go with one of their subsidiaries. (They might use the shirt to advertise Prime, for example)
Your owners cannot sponsor you. However, we all know there's way around this, thanks to City and Newcastle.

But the great thing for us, we could actually get more money than anyone for these sponsorships and no one wiuld batter an eyelid, as we've constantly broken sponsorship records.

However, announcements like today, keep emphasising the fact to me, that the sale of the club is quite far down the line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I think United could give them exposure in the Asian market, where the potential is as yet untapped for Amazon.

red thru&thru

I think United could give them exposure in the Asian market, where the potential is as yet untapped for Amazon.
Yeah, that would be one reason.

But the more I think about it, the less I believe it will be Amazon. As I said above, new owners can't "sponsor" themselves.

For instance, I couldn't see Jeff Bezos buying us and then being sponsored by Amazon, as he still has shares in Amazon.

New owners and new sponsorship would have to be cleverly thought through, which I have no doubts has happened.

Mmm-Qatarian

Your owners cannot sponsor you. However, we all know there's way around this, thanks to City and Newcastle.

But the great thing for us, we could actually get more money than anyone for these sponsorships and no one wiuld batter an eyelid, as we've constantly broken sponsorship records.

However, announcements like today, keep emphasising the fact to me, that the sale of the club is quite far down the line.
Ah apologies. Out of curiosity though, would the fact that owners can't sponsor their own club prevent them from just shoving their logo on the shirt without paying any money to do so? If a company were to buy United, they'd also be acquiring this option to buy the rights to the shirt sponsorship from TeamViewer. I'd just wonder what would be the legal complication with said company taking up that option and then saying "Well, we own these rights so rather than sell them off anywhere we'll just put our own brand on the shirt". I'm probably being a complete dumbass but I don't see how that would be inflating the club's revenue?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, that would be one reason.

But the more I think about it, the less I believe it will be Amazon. As I said above, new owners can't "sponsor" themselves.

For instance, I couldn't see Jeff Bezos buying us and then being sponsored by Amazon, as he still has shares in Amazon.

New owners and new sponsorship would have to cleverly thought through, which I have no doubts has happened.
I completely agree.

red thru&thru

Ah apologies. Out of curiosity though, would the fact that owners can't sponsor their own club prevent them from just shoving their logo on the shirt without paying any money to do so? If a company were to buy United, they'd also be acquiring this option to buy the rights to the shirt sponsorship from TeamViewer. I'd just wonder what would be the legal complication with said company taking up that option and then saying "Well, we own these rights so rather than sell them off anywhere we'll just put our own brand on the shirt". I'm probably being a complete dumbass but I don't see how that would be inflating the club's revenue?
Ideally, a club should run on it's own. Being independent of the money it brings in to comply with FFP rules, which determines how much you can spend.

So for example, if Amazon was to buy us, what is stopping them sponsoring the shirt for £300m, or more, a year? This isn't fair on the rest of the clubs.

pascell

As TeamViewer are a tech company and we've negotiated to end the deal early, could this be an indication we're being taken over by another tech company?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
As TeamViewer are a tech company and we've negotiated to end the deal early, could this be an indication we're being taken over by another tech company?
Guys big news we're getting taken over by Grammarly!

Josep Dowling

I’m gunna say no purely because TeamViewer don’t have the budget to pay United’s sponsorship. It has nothing to do with ownership changes at the club.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I genuinely think it’s simply a case of them wanting out due to their finances and the absurdity of spending such a high proportion of their revenue on sport sponsorships combined with us knowing we can get more money now than a deal negotiated during the pandemic. Mutually beneficial to both parties.

vanthaman

Winner
Couldn't give a shit about them beyond the fact their logo looks better on a shirt than chevrolet
Exactly this. And their logo is pretty shit anyway, I want a sponsor that is one width and one height, and one colour. The team viewer box being bigger than the text was annoying but 1000 times better than Chevrolet.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I genuinely think it’s simply a case of them wanting out due to their finances and the absurdity of spending such a high proportion of their revenue on sport sponsorships combined with us knowing we can get more money now than a deal negotiated during the pandemic. Mutually beneficial to both parties.
That's our last two sponsors regretting sponsoring us for so much

Crackers

greasy ginfers
How quickly could this
Hard to tell, it's not enough information on its own.

Nick7

Both were absurd deals for different reasons. Team Viewer are also regretting sponsoring Mercedes too - their revenues aren’t big enough to spend 250m over 5 years sponsoring a football team. Properly bonkers stuff.
Tezos are pulling out from Red Bull F1 too. So the training ground kits will probably be next.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm pretty sure the possibility of terminating the sponsorship has been in play before any indication the club was for sale.

red thru&thru

Not necessarily, no. Theoretically, you can't sponsor your own club.

But a lot of common sense would say new owners will take the opportunity to be creative in who is going to be the next shirt sponsors.

DevTheRed

Interesting timing with all the talk of a takeover incoming. Wonder who it will be next.. are Sharp still about?

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
It’s a buy back, so they paid us for so many years, we’re going to pay them back ‘some’ money in order to end it early and get someone else in for more money. Whatever we pay them will be less than what they paid us and it’s probably in the small print as an option.
I'd be surprised if they forked out the whole sum in a single payment right at the start. Surely they'd agree x no of years at £ym per year and then pay annually. I doubt a sponsor change would come mid season, although it has happened elsewhere, so it would be interesting to know exactly what the buy back actually is.

Eugenius

I'm fairly sure Teamviewer would probably have to make up part or all of the shortfall if we don't get the same revenue figure.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bit annoying, just bought the home shirt as a Christmas present for my nephew

AlPistacho

I'm pretty sure the possibility of terminating the sponsorship has been in play before any indication the club was for sale.
Probably already been mentioned but TeamViewer investors have problems with the United deal and formula 1 deal. So I think it really is a case of it being “it’s me not you”