Ten Hag | First MUTV Interview (10am BST) | Press Conference (12pm BST)

Red_toad

Great interview, apart from him referencing our 2nd place finish countless times.

That’s a big worry, as it might indicate, that he doesn’t want that many changes, which would be very concerning
It’s a big worry fans what him to alienate the entire squad before he’s even worked with them. It’s called being realistic, our players have under performed and he will not be able to replace all of them.
A coach offering an olive branch and talking about unity and want he wants from the players is very positive for me. He also talked about renewing the squad, so he’s not so naive that he doesn’t think we need additions. Some fans are just locked into a negative cycle and need to move on from it. Love how he spoke to the press and how he’s conducted himself thus far. Long may it continue.

L1nk

In terms of a couple of the players, we’ve got a few players who used to be at Manchester United who have links to Ajax. One is Edwin van der Sar, who is a United legend and also an Ajax legend. What have you said with him about joining Manchester United?
“Yeah, we had some conversations about it. Actually, he was the first one I told that I’d be leaving Ajax and would go to Manchester United. I think in his emotion he’s still Manchester United. He’s a fan: he’s the biggest fan, maybe yeah? Especially in Ajax. But he has to lead Ajax in this moment and I’m sure he will always support Manchester United and he will support me, as long as we are not playing against Ajax.”

I cannot think of a more appropriate DoF for the club than VDS, he's done incredible work at Ajax. ETH clearly wants to make that a reality too.
He's a CEO, he would take Richard Arnolds position, he's not a DoF

BarstoolProphet

His work at Ajax is a fairly strong indicator of his qualifications for the job, no?
Well, like I said he is CEO there, a role currently occupied by Arnold at United. The poster asked for him in the role as DOF, which until recently was held by Overmars at Ajax.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The comparison that comes to mind for me in terms of the way he comes across is someone like Wenger. Basically a big dork rather than someone super-charismatic but if he's successful then that just becomes part of his vibe.

Generally personality qualities get perceived through the prism of results.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Isn't he from a rich family? :lol:
He is from a very wealthy family but as down to earth as they come. Have spoken with him at Ajax numerous times. I love the guy. No bullshit approach. Dont think the media will like him there. He's stricly business.
Our players loved him though.
The guy is a machine when it comes to work ethics.

Reactions: jojojo

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's a CEO, he would take Richard Arnolds position, he's not a DoF
Well, like I said he is CEO there, a role currently occupied by Arnold at United. The poster asked for him in the role as DOF, which until recently was held by Overmars at Ajax.
Yeah, sorry, I mixed up the CEO and DOF roles.

I meant for VDS to become the CEO in the future rather than the DOF.

L1nk

Yeah, sorry, I mixed up the CEO and DOF roles.

I meant for VDS to become the CEO in the future rather than the DOF.
I mean I would much rather him than Arnold that's for sure. Although at least some things seem to be shifting in a better direction under him than Woodward for the time being

Big Andy

Bloke
Simon Jordan and Danny Murphy ain't impressed
The media are already starting to peddle a narrative that he's out of his depth. What Murphy and Jordan can't grasp is that this is a second language for him and one he's only recently started learning with any real intent. Those two would struggle in their first language, let alone a second.

Both of them need to feck right off. They're worried in case he's really good and they challenge their precious Liverpool team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s a big worry fans what him to alienate the entire squad before he’s even worked with them. It’s called being realistic, our players have under performed and he will not be able to replace all of them.
A coach offering an olive branch and talking about unity and want he wants from the players is very positive for me. He also talked about renewing the squad, so he’s not so naive that he doesn’t think we need additions. Some fans are just locked into a negative cycle and need to move on from it. Love how he spoke to the press and how he’s conducted himself thus far. Long may it continue.
Agreed with this.

People are actually wanting him to publicly call Maguire a bad captain and want him replaced before he's even worked with him ffs :lol:

It's a new start, the players who remain will need to prove they are worthy.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
some of the questions from supposed veteran reporters is mind boggling. Hi Erik what do you think of Manchester the town fekkin hell

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Great first nterview on MUTV. Loving the cut of this guy's jib. :drool:

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
some of the questions from supposed veteran reporters is mind boggling. Hi Erik what do you think of Manchester the town fekkin hell
I, for one, always wanted to know what Erik ten Hag thinks about Manchester the town, and I'm glad that someone spent multiple years studying journalism, then expended hard work, leaping through the hurdles of his career path, climbing the rungs of the ivory tower of the profession, in order to shed the light of truth on the fog of our ignorance that had clouded this pearl of knowledge.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I mean I would much rather him than Arnold that's for sure. Although at least some things seem to be shifting in a better direction under him than Woodward for the time being
What has Arnold done to make you prefer VDS over him so much? “i would much rather” - VDS literally handles the commercial side of things & left the football to Overmars.

Which is exactly what Arnold is doing now

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
First press conferences are always full of light question, tbh.

Some of these Journo's may have been instructed by the club beforehand to not go too in-depth with their questions, possibly down to the slight language barrier, at the present.

MrSingh2002

This was my concern. It was a Covid season, it should not be looked at as a barometer for future success.
Yeah plus I didn't like the press conference how he spoke repeatedly about giving the squad a chance.

Hope he doesn't live to regret it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah plus I didn't like the press conference how he spoke repeatedly about giving the squad a chance.

Hope he doesn't live to regret it.
There will be individuals in this squad who were always going to get a 2nd chance like it or not.

stu_1992

Like the press conference. No nonsense with the media. Keep them at arms length, but still polite. They'll try to throw him under the bus at the first opportunity anyway. No major headlines coming out of it anyway, anyone who wanted fireworks will be disappointed.

Unam333

Nothing wrong with his English. Pretty good as its his secondary language. Don't understand why people in Holland were/are mocking his English.

MUFC OK

Thought he was good. Didn't get drawn into talking useless guff despite the attempts of the media. Straight to the point and no nonsense. Felt like he was in control and that's exactly what we need.

RedDevilRoshi

Just watched both interview & press conference. I liked what he said and of course looking forward to when he properly gets started.

Straight to the point an no nonsense.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Nothing wrong with his English. Pretty good as its his secondary language. Don't understand why people in Holland were/are mocking his English.
Dutch people are probably among the best non-native English speakers in Europe, perhaps Scandinavians are a bit better. If he were from Italy or France his English would be considered quite good.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Isn't he from a rich family? :lol:
He's from a no nonsense grafter type of family who've become wealthy over the last 40 years, through real estate development.

The Twente/Enschede area where he's from is a relatively poor part of my little country, where people traditionally were textile slaves or lived a rural/farmer type of life.

tomaldinho1

I like your optimism but we will be well and truly fecked next season if we only add two players this summer.
I can see us signing quite a few players to be honest although I think they'll be more along the lines of JWP, Richarlison, Kessie, Rafinha etc. and maybe 1 or 2 big name signings like De Jong if we can convince him to join. No CL football is a bit of a kicker for recruiting the best players but my take is we need to raise the base level of our team before we go for the huge signings so 7/10 consistent and hardworking players will be great additions.

James35

The presser was as expected. Hopefully some of those answers were generic and political. I’m expecting him to cut a lot of the shit out of this team and only time will tell if that actually happens. If he continues to pick poor players and doesn’t correct the most glaring issue which is our midfield. Then I will worry that nothing much will change.

But for now I’m excited to see what he does this sunmer.

klsv

Shocked he didn't call Dave a coward, Maguire a fridge, Bruno a cnut and Rashford a lazy twat while asking for 20 transfers in the summer. Makes you think.

Robindinho

Thought the same. Sure, a little broken in parts but he wouldn't have been speaking it regularly, so can only improve. His vocabulary was fine.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good stuff. Only thing that struck me was that he said that the players dictate the style

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its just them looking down on him and the area where he comes from. Country bumpkin in their eyes.