Ten Hag | First MUTV Interview (10am BST) | Press Conference (12pm BST)

L1nk

What has Arnold done to make you prefer VDS over him so much? “i would much rather” - VDS literally handles the commercial side of things & left the football to Overmars.

Which is exactly what Arnold is doing now
VDS is a vastly experienced footballer who loves this club-- as reiterated by ETH in his interview this morning- and was between the sticks for one of our most successful periods, who has gone on to be a very successful CEO at Ajax, a very well respected club, and no doubt has a lot of pull and sway in the game because of his previous history in it. Richard Arnold is a banker with 0 experience in football and was the right hand man of Ed Woodward until recently taking his position, some would argue he's helped oversee one of the worst commercial drives for a club of our size and strength of position considering most other clubs have caught up to us now in terms of sponsorships and valuation.

Is this even a real question?

Unam333

Thought the same. Sure, a little broken in parts but he wouldn't have been speaking it regularly, so can only improve. His vocabulary was fine.
He's in an English speaking environment. He can only approve.
I'm really excited.

Kaizane

ETH getting the psychological warfare in early, making a point to shake hands with everyone within distance.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Love it.

10/10 would follow into battle.

BlueHaze

It’s a big worry fans what him to alienate the entire squad before he’s even worked with them. It’s called being realistic, our players have under performed and he will not be able to replace all of them.
A coach offering an olive branch and talking about unity and want he wants from the players is very positive for me. He also talked about renewing the squad, so he’s not so naive that he doesn’t think we need additions. Some fans are just locked into a negative cycle and need to move on from it. Love how he spoke to the press and how he’s conducted himself thus far. Long may it continue.
You are right about the bolded part. Impossible to replace all in one window but in terms of being realistic there is also that aspect that many of them have shown under various managers they are not up for it and they need to be sold or Erik will struggle too.

MattyLT

"I talk to a lot of people" + "it's part of my analysis" + "I draw my own conclusions" = "I'll give you lot a chance to show me what you can do, but don't think for a second I'm not already onto your shenanigans".

Maybe making too much of it, but I loved the fact that he made it clear he has been, and will be, talking to former managers and players as part of his analysis, rather than just making it about "starting fresh", "new leaves" and so on. Anyone in that dressing room having downed tools, thrown managers under the bus, leaked stories to the press, and thrown their toys out the pram, should take heed of what he said there. Because that's the most subtle, non-negative way he could have publicly let it be known that what players have been doing up til now will matter going forward.

Last edited:

DepaysCowboyHat

Doesnt speak bad english at all, although he has a heavy accent he makes his points clear and is very understandable.
Came out very well.
Now its up to us to give him time and support.
Good luck Erik!

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
In no way a media-friendly press conference. gave the bear minimum of answers and kept his cards very close to his chest. Probably exactly the right thing to do right now.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
As a Dutchman I can say his English isn't much worse than his Dutch.

Natener

He's sounds like a mafia boss to me when he speaks. Like do not feck things up or he's feeding me to the fishes.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well they all sound good until they lose their first game. That's when you know.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
"an era can come to an end"

that's the quote that could, could, become immortalised.

TheReligion

Abusive
Interesting some of the Caf want and expected him to come out and slag the squad off.

You can tell who on here has experience in managing people and who lives in a bubble. Fascinating.

R'hllor

Yea thats why we are so sucessful.

Edit: Even thou, dont know why someone would expect ETH to come out and shit all over them.

Paul778

I'm a bit concerned after todays press conference that things are moving too slowly.

If ETH wants the players to take a break and then talk to them after their holidays there's a good chance he's not finalising the players he needs for quite a while.

So the usual screwed up transfer window where we don't have players lined up and we end up scrambling about in the last week of the window or saying there's no value in the market.

This season more than any we need to do our business early and let ETH try to get a tune out of them

CM

You can't always draw conclusions from these interviews and press conferences but I do like the way he speaks. He seems sure of himself and has firm principles which is at least a good start.

Ten Hag's success will be contingent on how much support he receives from the club but I'd like to think after a season like the one we've just had that support will be unconditional. Good luck to him, this club is an unholy mess at the moment.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'm a bit concerned after todays press conference that things are moving too slowly.

If ETH wants the players to take a break and then talk to them after their holidays there's a good chance he's not finalising the players he needs for quite a while.

So the usual screwed up transfer window where we don't have players lined up and we end up scrambling about in the last week of the window or saying there's no value in the market.

This season more than any we need to do our business early and let ETH try to get a tune out of them
thats quite a conclusion you’ve jumped to there!

RedDevil@84

That beats the whole purpose of having Murtough and Fletcher in whatever roles thay are. Aren't they supposed to work on transfers and not wait for ETH to come and talk to existing players

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

We aren't doing anything next year, so get that in your head right now. Better to set expectations early.

We will probably push for the top 4 and try to get close in the cups, that's about it.

We can't make big squad changes, we might sign 3/4 at best. If you think he will suddenly turn this shitshow around by tomorrow you're going to be surprised.

Mike Smalling

You gotta love the Dutch. Generally, they are a bit too direct for comfort, but what is exactly what is needed in this club.

TheReligion

Abusive

Think you’re just worrying over nothing tbh

Hughie77

What I liked about the press conference was ETH , answered the questions , but didn't elaborate them. Press will pick quotes, that suited there narratives and he didn't bite.
Asked about what Ronny is going to give him next season, answered goals, then the guy said about is he going to be a leader etc ,ETH I will be telling Ronny before you .

I hope he's like that all the time.