Ten Hag's cultural re-reset

Skills

Snitch
It's quite likely that our strongest starting XI soon will have only 1 british player featuring (Sancho). That's going to be a massive contrast to the team that finished second a few years ago that was the product of the cultural reset. That team heavily featured : AWB, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Rashford & Greenwood in our starting XI. From 6 down to only 1 regular British starter.

Was this done consciously?

How do those of you who were big proponents/fans of the original cultural reset feel about this?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Talent reset is what it is.

The culture of being mediocre is no longer acceptable

Nero

Ole's reset was never a nationality thing, it was an attitude and mentality thing. Unfortunately it didn't work out too well.

Ten Hag's reset also has nothing to do with nationality.

There never was a 'Brexit FC', evidenced by the fact Ole bought more foreign players than British players.

Jam

So much can be said of cultural resets. So little can also be said of them.

What I will say is that I don’t want the team to just live off good vibes and be best mates. You don’t need that to be successful. You need individuality but also to respect and die for the other ten people on the field - and to also not be afraid to call them out either.

I’m loving the unity at the back we currently have - but bet you bottom dollar it is thoroughly professional and they won’t be afraid to call each other out if a mistake is made. You need that mutual respect in the first place to do.

mu4c_20le

Throw off the British yoke. It was holding us back all along..

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he was shellshocked in the first two games when he saw a non-team and quickly addressed it which speaks volumes of his authority. Buying players he knows only strengthens that authority. He's also shown he's quite capable of making huge decisions in dropping Shaw, Maguire and Ronaldo. The manager is the most important person at the club for the first time since 2013. Hopefully it continues.

ElectroManiac

The only reset happening is that if you don't put the effort and perform on the pitch you are out.

Is not ETH fault that most of our British player has been underperforming.

Nick7

If AWB, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, and Rashford perform, maybe as unlikely as that is, they will play and rightly so. The “cultural reset” should not be about nationality, it should be about mentality.

DepaysCowboyHat

As I am not from England, I've always felt it a bit hypocritical too think to much on the nationality of the players representing the club although I might understand English people to have another thought on the matter.
Just my two cents.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
It's easy to say that the culture has changed. The big reason to me is the type of players coming in. Determined, tenacious players with talent.

Malacia isn't the best all round player by any means but his effort is brilliant which is much better than a talented lazy bastard.

Some players will flourish with a confident, functioing team who we may have written off before

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Ole's reset was never a nationality thing, it was an attitude and mentality thing. Unfortunately it didn't work out too well.

There never was a 'Brexit FC', evidenced by the fact Ole bought more foreign players than British players.
There were reports that he wanted to maintain a British core.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's quite likely that our strongest starting XI soon will have only 1 british player featuring (Sancho). That's going to be a massive contrast to the team that finished second a few years ago that was the product of the cultural reset. That team heavily featured : AWB, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Rashford & Greenwood in our starting XI. From 6 down to only 1 regular British starter.

How do those of you who were big proponents/fans of the original cultural reset feel about this?
I don’t think he cares about nationality… it’s all ability and mentality.

Just so happens that quite a few of our British players are lacking in both… hence dropped. Think he gave them a chance (pre season, first league game) then rightly dropped them. His job is to win games… other players made/makes that more likely.

NewYorkRed

Some history being rewritten so soon already I see. The poster is spot on, Ole’s vision was to build around a British core. And I won’t lie; I was behind it. British players tend not to want to leave us to go to Madrid/Barca/Munich. All 3 of those teams also build around generally their own national players. Problem is, we picked the wrong British players. If we had Reece James instead of AWB, Saka/Chilwell instead of Shaw, Bellingham etc we would have been just fine.

That said, I don’t think ETH is going for non-British players. He is going for talent. And talent that he is already familiar with.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's easy to say that the culture has changed. The big reason to me is the type of players coming in. Determined, tenacious players with talent.

Malacia isn't the best all round player by any means but his effort is brilliant which is much better than a talented lazy bastard.

Some players will flourish with a confident, functioing team who we may have written off before
He's 23, I think he will be one of the best LBs in Europe

mu4c_20le

Some history being rewritten so soon already I see. The poster is spot on, Ole’s vision was to build around a British core.
I looked everywhere and all I see is speculation and assumption from people based on his signings. Did he actually say this? Or are you writing history.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
As long as we maintain the academy product record and continue to give the kids a chance, I don't care what the lineup looks like.

Greck

This is muddling the timeline. We ended up diversifying but it was well known our transfer strategy for the summer of 2020 was the British core. You don't buy 3 cost inflated british players by coincidence. I think it was even reported before our targets basically confirmed it. We were linked with madison, rice, sancho and co. If our potential targets made it plausible, our actual transfer put it beyond doubt, Maguire, AWB and James.

Of course it didn't mean we would never buy foreigners, rather that the spine would be British. Ole and co also relaxed the policy a bit once the desperation for results kicked in.

Reiver

Couldn't give a shit how many English players are in the starting 11. EtH has instigated a talent reset, not a cultural one.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
It's obviously about mentality, not nationality.

Greck

There were reports that he wanted to maintain a British core.
There's nothing even wrong, Bayern goes after the best germans and Barca/RM have a god given right to every spanish star. It sucked because we made it the first criteria ahead of talent or fit. Because of how they bungled the execution people might deny it was ever an objective but you just have to read between the lines.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There's nothing even wrong, Bayern goes after the best germans and Barca/RM have a god given right to every spanish star. It sucked because we made it the first criteria ahead of talent or fit. Because of how they bungled the execution people might deny it was ever an objective but you just have to read between the lines.
Yes i agree, there's nothing wrong as long as British players are better than their foreign colleagues. In our case they haven't been.

Member 125398

It's obviously about mentality, not nationality.
Agreed, but it is often useful to buy Premier League proven players. The aim should be to establish a position of strength whereby you can cherry-pick any outstanding players every year or two.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Agreed, but it is often useful to buy Premier League proven players. The aim should be to establish a position of strength whereby you can cherry-pick any outstanding players every year or two.
True, but Premier League proven doesn't have much to do with nationality either.

Of course it's always good to have a couple players from the academy/locals in the squad, but other than that I wouldn't say nationality matters one bit.

Member 125398

True, but Premier League proven doesn't have much to do with nationality either.

Of course it's always good to have a couple players from the academy/locals in the squad, but other than that I wouldn't say nationality matters one bit.
I think you need a few players with some loyalty to maintain stability. I'm not suggesting they have to be British but it's more likely they'll have an affinity to the league. Players like Antony are amazing to have (I hope) but if he does well and Madrid/Barca come calling he'll be more than interested.

NewYorkRed

I looked everywhere and all I see is speculation and assumption from people based on his signings. Did he actually say this? Or are you writing history.
Stop trying to be smart by acting daft. Your answer is also in your own post, but you already knew that.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
I think you need a few players with some loyalty to maintain stability. I'm not suggesting they have to be British but it's more likely they'll have an affinity to the league. Players like Antony are amazing to have (I hope) but if he does well and Madrid/Barca come calling he'll be more than interested.
But what does loyalty give you when the mentality or quality isn't there? You need players that will give anything to win. Players who will "die on the pitch". If that's for 3 good years then so be it. You'll find someone else with the right attitude.

For the fans it's nice if they can identify with the squad so having some English players is important in that sense, but as a manager who needs results quickly, nationality shouldn't be a concern whatsoever.

Loon

:lol:
I personally think it stems from ten Hag's look at the squad and seeing who he can rely on. Rangnick made the mistake of saying it publicly. Hopefully he can continue the change in January if we can drum up interest in the players he wants to ship out.

Someone

Something
He's being super pragmatic and is only looking for players who can play based on merit and nothing else. That's the only acceptable culture that a top club should have. Ole wanted a British core, and that's not wrong, but he picked the wrong players, and his faith in them wasn't rewarded. I'm sure ETH understands the value of having that but that won't a priority for a while.

Edwards6

Think the biggest thing so far is he's got them working hard and actually playing as a team rather than 11 individuals, he's mentioned a few times about the whole team defending as a unit. By leaving Maguire, Ronaldo and Shaw out he's proving he'll pick the team based on merit and not reputation or name

mu4c_20le

Stop trying to be smart by acting daft. Your answer is also in your own post, but you already knew that.
I was simply asking for a source since you presented an opinion as if it were a fact. Is Ten Hag building an Eredivisie core?

BoulderDevil

Culture does not equal nationality. Ten hag is targeting technically gifted players that can also run. Maguire, awb, and shaw do not fall into those categories. I wouldn’t be surprised to see ten hag target English players who are technically gifted or just develop them from the academy

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He picked players that can play football without losing their composure every 10 mins and not the ones that can only play it one way (if I score goals I dont have to press, if Im good at defending I dont have to worry about helping the attacks).

NewYorkRed

I was simply asking for a source since you presented an opinion as if it were a fact. Is Ten Hag building an Eredivisie core?
He’s going for players that he’s worked with before for the most part. That also has nothing to do with the original post but this is such a weird debate so i’m not gonna go on further. If you don’t think Ole’s plan was based on a British foundation then fair play thats your opinion.

red_de_pologne

Not on McSauce’s watch

Dr. StrangeHate

It has nothing to do with being British. The players that have been reduced to the bench just had too many deficiencies.