Tennis 2015

Bojan11

Nadal did compete with Dkoko last month. It was closer than the scoreline suggested. Nadal can definitely now compete with Murray and below it seems but how he does against a big hitter who's having a good day is yet to be seen. And ofcourse Fed and Djoko
He's beaten quite a few top 10 players apart from Federer in the last month or so.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nadal vs Djokovic today. Will Djokovic lose to both Federer and Nadal in the space of a week?

Giggsy92

Djokovic hasn't looked great in his last two matches so he's definitely there for the taking (unless he steps it up a level, which is what he usually does to be fair). Federer vs Wawrinka should be good too, depending on which Stan shows up.

Bojan11

it was. 23-23.
It was 14-7 to Nadal before 2011.

In defence of Nadal, I don't think playing Ferrer for more than 2 hours helped him yesterday, whilst Djokovic had the day off.

But Djokovic produced the same performance that he did all year against Nadal and Nadal has no answer. I think Nadal proved this week that he can find the answer. He needs to improve on his serve in the off season.

amolbhatia50k

It's natural that it's shifting towards Djokovic. Nadal's peak was much younger than Djokovic's barring that one year he had a few years back. So it's only expected that he'd dominate earlier and Djokovic now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Missed this. Sounds like a comfortable win for Djokovic.
It didn't even look competitive. Nadal is so past his peak.. he looks incredibly limited in terms of movement and has no chance against a peak Djoko.

I don't know what to make of recent Djoko rise as world's best player and where he features in the all time list. Being a huge fan of his I'd love to say hand on heart he is part of a big three and is the equal of Federer and Nadal in their prime but there is no doubting this is a weaker era than that 2006-2011 era. The names are all there but the performances are not. Yes Federer has got back on track but how much of that is down to the decline of Nadal and as good as he is now, Djokovic isn't finding him as difficult as he would in his prime especially in the grand slam matches.

I expect Djokovic to raise his game on Sunday and take the title.

Bole Top

4-0 in matches and 9-0 in sets this year - against Rafa.

I'm pretty sure he will surpass him in terms of grand slams.

amolbhatia50k

It didn't even look competitive. Nadal is so past his peak.. he looks incredibly limited in terms of movement and has no chance against a peak Djoko.

I don't know what to make of recent Djoko rise as world's best player and where he features in the all time list. Being a huge fan of his I'd love to say hand on heart he is part of a big three and is the equal of Federer and Nadal in their prime but there is no doubting this is a weaker era than that 2006-2011 era. The names are all there but the performances are not. Yes Federer has got back on track but how much of that is down to the decline of Nadal and as good as he is now, Djokovic isn't finding him as difficult as he would in his prime especially in the grand slam matches.

I expect Djokovic to raise his game on Sunday and take the title.
I don't think Djokovic is up there with Federer and Nadal. Still a good way to go for that.

Djokovic definitely the favorite for Sunday no matter who he faces.

Zen

I don't know how you can't have Djokovic up there, he's a top 5 all-time cemented. He has two of the top 5 seasons ever most likely, and one of them was when the "big four" truly existed. Federer clearly has the sustained consistency over years, which only females come close to matching(well Graf and Nav). Nadal has insane one court dominance.

I'd have it Fed - Djoko - Nadal as of now, shame about injuries on Nadals part, but his success isn't spread across enough for me to continuing putting him above Djokovic, who's clearly superior on hards and possibly/probably grass, he's also been his closest genuine rival on clay. Federer mentally lost it with Nadal circa 2008, especially on clay....but I doubt Djokovic of now would of done much better, Nadal was special on clay.

amolbhatia50k

I don't know how you can't have Djokovic up there, he's a top 5 all-time cemented. He has two of the top 5 seasons ever most likely, and one of them was when the "big four" truly existed. Federer clearly has the sustained consistency over years, which only females come close to matching(well Graf and Nav). Nadal has insane one court dominance.

I'd have it Fed - Djoko - Nadal as of now, shame about injuries on Nadals part, but his success isn't spread across enough for me to continuing putting him above Djokovic, who's clearly superior on hards and possibly/probably grass, he's also been his closest genuine rival on clay. Federer mentally lost it with Nadal circa 2008, especially on clay....but I doubt Djokovic of now would of done much better, Nadal was special on clay.
By up there I mean right alongside. Nadal ahead of Djokovic for me as of now.

Zen

You also said a "good way" from it....he really isn't. He's now pretty much in the top tier with Fed, Nadal, Borg and Sampras, he may be fifth in that group, but he's also the one in that group with brightest future. He's 100% out of the group with Agassi, Connors, Mac, Lendl, Edberg, Wilander etc....Murray in fact could do with a couple other things to get into that second tier, though he could win the most single handed of Davis Cups next week, and has a Singles Gold Medal, but either way, needs a couple more slams.

amolbhatia50k

You also said a "good way" from it....he really isn't. He's now pretty much in the top tier with Fed, Nadal, Borg and Sampras, he may be fifth in that group, but he's also the one in that group with brightest future. He's 100% out of the group with Agassi, Connors, Mac, Lendl, Edberg, Wilander etc....Murray in fact could do with a couple other things to get into that second tier, though he could win the most single handed of Davis Cups next week, and has a Singles Gold Medal, but either way, needs a couple more slams.
He's not in the same tier as Federer ffs. You just put him 5th in the same tier. Might as well make top 10 and claim the 10th is right up there with federer.

Bojan11

Djokovic needs to win the French to get past Nadal for me or win more slams than Nadal.

I'm hoping one of the younger players comes up and challenges him. But there's not many young players. Federer and Nadal aren't going to suddenly go back to the how they were at their peak. They might do it in the one grand slam like French open or Wimbledon.

When you look at these tour finals. You got the top four, then the likes of Berdych, Wawrinka and Ferrer. The latter three have been top 10 regulars for the last 5 years or so. Nishikori was the youngest player. Then you had the likes of Anderson and Gasquet missing out who were in the top 10.

There's not even one young player coming through and really even trying to make the top 10 let alone challenge for a grand slam or masters.

ZDwyr

Djokovic needs to win the French to get past Nadal for me or win more slams than Nadal.

I'm hoping one of the younger players comes up and challenges him. But there's not many young players. Federer and Nadal aren't going to suddenly go back to the how they were at their peak. They might do it in the one grand slam like French open or Wimbledon.

When you look at these tour finals. You got the top four, then the likes of Berdych, Wawrinka and Ferrer. The latter three have been top 10 regulars for the last 5 years or so. Nishikori was the youngest player. Then you had the likes of Anderson and Gasquet missing out who were in the top 10.

There's not even one young player coming through and really even trying to make the top 10 let alone challenge for a grand slam or masters.
I genuinely think Kyrgios can do it if he gets his head on straight, but he seems determined to be the next Monfils. Although the other negative for him is that he doesn't have the fitness base of Djokovic yet either.

amolbhatia50k

It does appear to be a worry. I remember when Federer was at his peak he singled out Djokovic as a future top player/GS winner and I was like alright this guy must be talented. There's noone about right now I see claiming to be a potential GS winner in 2 years time. Players like Raonic, Kyrgios don't look like they're of that level to me.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
It does appear to be a worry. I remember when Federer was at his peak he singled out Djokovic as a future top player/GS winner and I was like alright this guy must be talented. There's noone about right now I see claiming to be a potential GS winner in 2 years time. Players like Raonic, Kyrgios don't look like they're of that level to me.
up to Rafa to stop him at RG next year, and Wawrinka/Murray :nervous:/some surprise or even Rafa himself on the other slams.

yes, i think Rafa will be back to his best. #believe

Bojan11

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/rankings/singles

You look at that list and there's not many young players in the top 50. Coric is the youngest at 19. You got a lot of experienced players taking advantage of that. Maybe it's me thinking that everyone should be like Nadal or Del Potro and just start beating top players at a young age. But there's not many under 25 year olds in the top 30.

I bet the likes of Solderling and Del Potro are gutted to be injured as they would be challenging for slams in this period especially as those two were better than Wawrinka for me. Del Potro beat Federer at his peak, who won like 5 US opens in a row at the time at the age of 20.

Zen

He's not in the same tier as Federer ffs. You just put him 5th in the same tier. Might as well make top 10 and claim the 10th is right up there with federer.
In about 50 years, if not less, there will be a top 10 wheres theres also exceptionally little between them. For now, it's clearly just a top 5, next to no one had the same reservations they have about Djokovic for Federer when he was on 10 Slams with a couple of insane seasons behind him and no French Open......why have them for Djokovic who's on 10 Slams with tougher top tier competition at least, probably an even more insane season this year....and while not as amazing, also insane consistency.

amolbhatia50k

In about 50 years, if not less, there will be a top 10 wheres theres also exceptionally little between them. For now, it's clearly just a top 5, next to no one had the same reservations they have about Djokovic for Federer when he was on 10 Slams with a couple of insane seasons behind him and no French Open......why have them for Djokovic who's on 10 Slams with tougher top tier competition at least, probably an even more insane season this year....and while not as amazing, also insane consistency.
Because federer went on from 10 grandslams and got another 7. You can't sit on 9/10 grandslams and pretend to be on the same tier as a guy on 17. Let's see where he stands in 3-4 years time when imagine he'll be a peripheral figure like most players are. Whether he's then on 13 or 18.

Sam

Federer should have gone for the stubble look earlier on in his career :drool:

Shiva87

Federer just falls away on the big points with Djoko. Its not good to see anymore for a Fed fan :(. It's sad how Djoko can play within himself for 2 sets, and still beat Fed who looks like he is playing on his edge throughout.

Watching today's game reminded me so much of what Fed used to do to Safin. Safin would come up with some great points and look like he is playing out of his skin, and Fed would still breeze through the match.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
The only player right now who can truly beat Djokovic is Wawrinka in top form. His aggressive style, beautiful baseline shots and out of the world passing shots pins Djokovic back and doesn't allow him to dominate the match like he normally does. Also, his backhand is the best I have ever seen before.

Problem is, he doesn't have any consistency in his game.

lonelyred

That's the fourth consecutive ATP World Tour Finals win for Djokovic, nobody's done that before. (He has five in total now, like Lendl and Sampras, Federer has six.)

Last edited:

Bojan11

The only player right now who can truly beat Djokovic is Wawrinka in top form. His aggressive style, beautiful baseline shots and out of the world passing shots pins Djokovic back and doesn't allow him to dominate the match like he normally does. Also, his backhand is the best I have ever seen before.

Problem is, he doesn't have any consistency in his game.
Federer showed he can in a few events this year. But that's also dependant on Djokovic also. If a Djokovic coming out who is making unforced errors and Federer is on top form then Federer will win. But if Djokovic is making very little errors then Federer will find it tough.

This is why I said yesterday that it's disappointing Soderling and Del Potro are injured. Both those guys had aggressive games and were better than Wawrinka for me. Murray should be thanking Del Potro for Wimbledon 2013. Del Potro took a lot out of Djokovic that game and there was literally nothing left in the final. I think at times Federer needs something like that to happen to Djokovic for him to have a chance of beating Djokovic in a final.You look at the last two grand slam semi finals Djokovic played were against Cillic and Gasquet. Both he beat very easily. He embarrassed Cilic.

I think for Nadal though he needs to come up with a plan to beat Djokovic. He did in 2013 where he won a lot of their meetings. It's not like the Federer situation where Federer is 34.

It's up to guys like Murray and Nadal to change their game to beat Djokovic. Federer can do that also, but part of beating Djokovic is that you gotta outlast him as he will take you to the distance most of the times. Murray and Nadal are the same age as Djokovic and should be matching him physically.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
It's not just outlasting Djokovic, it's matching his precision. Numerous times yesterday the commentators mentioned how consistent he is with his winner down the long line, even when in full movement. Something Wawrinka managed to do at the French Open. But the other thing is also Djokovic's returns, which everyone agrees is probably the best ever seen in the professional era. Your best serve which would normally produce a weak return and enable to close with a winner- that option is just so rarely available. So there are many elements to Djokovic's game apart from the 'physically outlasting' theory.

Btw, two-three out of four GS over the next three years or so? Doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

Bojan11

We'd see if Djokovic gets two-three slams in the next few years. I know you are his number one fan on here and aren't able to give anybody else credit whenever he loses. Which is kind of sad.

But like Nadal said the other day, it's hard to play at this level for five years straight. There's going to be a time when your body catches up with you and he starts to get injuries. Nadal and Murray have suffered some bad injuries over the last few years. Is Djokovic going to have another year like this one, I don't think he will personally. Even the last time he won three slams in a year he followed that up with one slam the following year. 2013 and 2014 he also won just one slam.

It will be hard to keep that level up especially in a year where the olympics takes place.

Bole Top

he has a good chance of winning 14 or 15 slams. if he wins at least four grand slams in the next three years and keeps positive record against Nadal and Fed, he will cement his place in all time top 3.

amolbhatia50k

Also, can we please speed up the courts now ffs? The joke is over. Apparently Nadal said the courts could be faster. If Nadal out of all people are saying the courts can be faster they really should be much faster. The serve volleyer is already dead, the attacking tennis will also soon be dead the way it's going. All we'll be left with is a top 100 full of guys who sit well behind the baseline.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
We'd see if Djokovic gets two-three slams in the next few years. I know you are his number one fan on here and aren't able to give anybody else credit whenever he loses. Which is kind of sad.

But like Nadal said the other day, it's hard to play at this level for five years straight. There's going to be a time when your body catches up with you and he starts to get injuries. Nadal and Murray have suffered some bad injuries over the last few years. Is Djokovic going to have another year like this one, I don't think he will personally. Even the last time he won three slams in a year he followed that up with one slam the following year. 2013 and 2014 he also won just one slam.

It will be hard to keep that level up especially in a year where the olympics takes place.
Don't take it so seriously, it's only tennis. Anyways, Novak said that he basically gifted the second set to Roger which if we're honest is a fair assessment. Roger also indicated that he'd like a bit of credit for the win but it's wasn't very convincing, he knew full well that Novak just dropped his level and made it much much easier for him to win. Roger's previous win a few months back was more convincing tbh. But no one is saying that Roger didn't deserve to win or that he isn't an awesome player. Djokovic has also in the past benefited from some of the top opponents dropping a level, so it's not a big deal really.

Best things really is that Nadal is getting better and hopefully he will improve further and find to his best form again.