Tennis 2016

saivet

Thought I'd start the new thread with the Australian Open less than two weeks away.

In the mean time, I've been following the ATP 250 in Doha. Nadal vs Djokokic in the final tomorrow. Currently their head to head is 23-23. Expect Djok to take it but hoping for a good performance from Rafa.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Watched a little bit of it. Djokovic was just scary good. Nadal didn't even play that badly.

Expect Djokovic to win at least 2 slams this year.

Last edited:

Bole Top

Nadal: "I don't know anybody who's ever played tennis like this. Since I know this sport I've never seen somebody playing at this level."

saivet

Nadal: "I don't know anybody who's ever played tennis like this. Since I know this sport I've never seen somebody playing at this level."
Difficult to argue with this really. It's not just Nadal he's beating comfortably but Murray and Federer too.

Bole Top

Berdych also said something similar earlier: "I have probably played maybe over 600 matches in my career, and met guys like Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, all those probably in their best times, but I have never, ever experienced anything like that."

imo, current Djoko is comparable to Federer in his prime.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
interesting thing about novak is that he's 28 now and this is the time where age, believe it or not, starts to slowly become an issue.

saivet

Federer is a few years older than him, Nadal is a year older than him and suffered bad injuries in the past, Stan is a few years older than him. Even Murray is older than him, albeit only by a week :p.

I can't really see any of the younger guys stepping up either. The only thing I look at is how good he was in 2011 only to be pegged back the following two years. Can't see it happening again though.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
interesting thing about novak is that he's 28 now and this is the time where age, believe it or not, starts to slowly become an issue.
True. It will be interesting to see how his body reacts to all the years he has thrown himself around to the limit, with his insane stretching and sliding when defending. He may be lighter on his feet than Nadal was, in regards to punishing his body but I'm wondering if we will see a faster decline in him and in more injuries than for example Federers levels from age 28 onwards. I can't see Novak being around at a high standard when he is Rogers age thats for sure. I think he has two seasons left at the top bar injury.

I'd just love to see him miss Wimbledon (sorry Novak) and for Roger to win one last major...

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
I'd just love to see him miss Wimbledon (sorry Novak) and for Roger to win one last major...
No kidding... he's now been in what... three major finals in the past two years and has come up short each time. but i think his 2014 loss to cilic in the SF with no novak waiting on the other side was a huge opportunity missed.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
No kidding... he's now been in what... three major finals in the past two years and has come up short each time. but i think his 2014 loss to cilic in the SF with no novak waiting on the other side was a huge opportunity missed.
Maybe the stars will align for him one more time. Could he not just play less tournaments and go into majors fully rested and fit? Like Agassi did after his comeback.(or the williams sisters) Roger needs some luck too now. Still think he should stick to his coming into the net tactic which seemed to be better when he played Novak. Long baseline style games and five setters should be thrown out by him and his coaches. I've said for years he has to change to that shorter points, more aggressive coming to the net etc.

Aah well, maybe I just don't like that we have come to the end of Federers time haha. I hate seeing Tiger Woods struggling too. Time does for us all I guess.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Federer still in the top 3 in the world and is competing at a high level. He's in contention at most slams.

For his age that is really amazing. Dont think you can expect much more for him. On the current tour it's only Djokovic who he can't live with, and that too only in a 5 set match. There's no shame in that.

The comparison with Woods doesn't work. Woods is barely competitive at any of the majors these days.

Bole Top

matches between Djokovic and Fed usually don't last that long. they played maybe two 5 set matches in those 40+ encounters. even in GS's, he can easilly beat Murray and Waw in straight sets, but Djokovic is just too good these days to allow that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Going to the Aus Open on Monday. Always wanted to go :D

saivet

Going to the Aus Open on Monday. Always wanted to go :D
Nice which stadium are you in?

I hope to go to Wimbledon again and hopefully the French Open for the first time. The Aus and US Open are ones I hope to visit some day too

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think it's just a ground pass, so no idea if we can see any big games but it'll be good just to be there and part of it.

saivet

I think it's as good as it could have got for Rafa. Verdasco in R1 and Anderson in R4 are tricky but ties he should win. He had to get one of the top 4 in the quarters and as a Rafa fan I'm just glad it's not Djokovic.

Think it will be Murray but I think Rafa could get to the final. Djok will crush him but here's hoping someone knocks him out before.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Murray vs Stan and Djokovic vs Federer my picks for semis.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I think it's just a ground pass, so no idea if we can see any big games but it'll be good just to be there and part of it.
Ground pass is great, you can go around and just watch whatever match you're interested in or which is thrilling right now. You probably won't be able to see Djokovic or Murray but you'll still be able to see plenty of famous players, like Tsonga, Monfils, etc.
I actually enjoyed it maybe more than watching one evening match in the arena, where it's quite likely that you'll see one of the big four destroying some nobodie in 3 sets.

ZDwyr

Have a feeling Murray won't go as deep as everyone is expecting. Think the whole baby thing and the change to his schedule might be a distraction. Novak is my pick (obviously). Can only see Wawrinka beating him.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Wow. Is it entire matches thrown or, is it spot fixing like cricket where certain points were being fixed?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Wow. Is it entire matches thrown or, is it spot fixing like cricket where certain points were being fixed?
Not sure, it is relatively common in tennis for players to throw certain games (eg will lose their second game on serve in second set). Friend works as a trader at a bookmaker and have often have eastern Europeans open accounts and put £10k on a player to win a certain game. Obviously this is in the low ranking events.
The only reason I can think for targeting Wimbledon is that you can get absolutely huge sums of money on it at any bookmaker. I'd imagine it would be spot fixing thinking about it now. No reason to throw a match when you can throw 2 games and make twice as much.

*By relatively common I mean in terms of % of tennis fixes are commonly spot fixes.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I'm guessing that would end up being someone who won doubles or even mixed doubles rather than an actual big name.
You'd imagine so, most likely someone near/post retirement age who was successful a while back. The money involved in high level tennis nowadays should be enough to protect against Match Fixing, similar to top level football.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Not sure, it is relatively common in tennis for players to throw certain games (eg will lose their second game on serve in second set). Friend works as a trader at a bookmaker and have often have eastern Europeans open accounts and put £10k on a player to win a certain game. Obviously this is in the low ranking events.
The only reason I can think for targeting Wimbledon is that you can get absolutely huge sums of money on it at any bookmaker. I'd imagine it would be spot fixing thinking about it now. No reason to throw a match when you can throw 2 games and make twice as much.

*By relatively common I mean in terms of % of tennis fixes are commonly spot fixes.
Interesting. Players in towards the end of the top 50 don't earn a lot. Well by a lot I mean enough to support themselves for the rest of their lives, considering their career lasts only till the their early 30s. Plus I imagine traveling to these events must be quite expensive too.

I can certainly see the temptation to make a quick 20,000 by throwing a game or two.

I'd say only the regular top 20 players do extremely well financially.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
(Not mine)

New film to be made about the tennis match rigging scandal.
Only available on Netfix.

Blatzo

For those asking this is highly, highly likely to be spot fixing: players being told to throw (for example) their second game of the set or whatever.

Nole coming out and saying it's not common is a bit odd - how would he know?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
For those asking this is highly, highly likely to be spot fixing: players being told to throw (for example) their second game of the set or whatever.

Nole coming out and saying it's not common is a bit odd - how would he know?
A couple of fixes have actually gained a decent amount of publicity, one in America last year had articles etc written about it, reported to authorities however usually the governing bodies bizarrely back the players. I will try to find it. The Governing Body does not care, it is the same in football, FIFA and UEFA are aware of match fixing and do not care. Players will be aware of it.

Edit: Found article, http://www.sportdw.com/2015/02/fix-tennis-match-denys-molchanov.html

I noticed the odds movement when the match was in play and tuned in, it became a joke. Can't remember if it was this or another one when they started to serve underarm.

Last edited:

Blatzo

Davydenko and Arguello (sp?) have been named as having been investigated but were cleared of any wrongdoing.

Djokovic has admitted to having been approached (or at least that his team was approached) but that it was instantly nipped in the bud and was one isolated incident.

I feel as though there is a big name who some articles are alluding toward but nobody is prepared to say it outright (I will refrain also to protect myself and this site).

The really frustrating thing with sports these days is we know cheating, match fixing, PEDs exist at the highest level. We just feign ignorance and try to be blissful

Blatzo

Blatzo

The articles on fixed tennis matches which analyse betting patterns are really interesting.

Are there any examples of people piling on a certain player after prices crash only for the game to have not been a fix? It would only take one rich, reckless person betting big on an underdog to create a chain reaction.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The articles on fixed tennis matches which analyse betting patterns are really interesting.

Are there any examples of people piling on a certain player after prices crash only for the game to have not been a fix? It would only take one rich, reckless person betting big on an underdog to create a chain reaction.
Never seen price manipulation in tennis, happens often in football but generally it is possible to tell it is fixed or manipulation as you can see how much is staked per person so 3 x £20,000 stakes are a lot more dodgy than 20 x £3000 stakes. Tennis fixes are also pretty bloody blatant to watch. In the article there is a vine that sums up the match, played deliberantly threw his racket on a shot.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Pretty sure the betting volume depends on number of bets being made instead of one large bet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Davydenko and Arguello (sp?) have been named as having been investigated but were cleared of any wrongdoing.

Djokovic has admitted to having been approached (or at least that his team was approached) but that it was instantly nipped in the bud and was one isolated incident.

I feel as though there is a big name who some articles are alluding toward but nobody is prepared to say it outright (I will refrain also to protect myself and this site).

The really frustrating thing with sports these days is we know cheating, match fixing, PEDs exist at the highest level. We just feign ignorance and try to be blissful
Doubt it's any top player.

wr8_utd

:'(
Just another embarrassing bottle job from Nadal after the USO Fognini performance. 2 sets to 1 up and loses. Was 2-0 up in the fifth and lost 6-2. He's done really in terms of ever winning a slam or even coming close to one.