Tennis 2016

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Points don't count for Davis cup.

Djokovic was quite a distance ahead last year and the only tournament he gained points from was the French open.
I thought they've been saying he's about to lose about 275 or something from not playing in that final?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Points don't count for Davis cup.

Djokovic was quite a distance ahead last year and the only tournament he gained points from was the French open.
It does this year for some strange reason... I got confused about this as well but that's what's been confirmed.

Jazz

Nah, but he can add someone to improve his crap serve.

He's already got a hair transplant.
I thought this was a rumour:eek::lol:

As for him adding to someone else to his team, I agree. Just doesn't look like he's keen on bringing in someone else into his circle, but we'll see.

Bojan11

I thought they've been saying he's about to lose about 275 or something from not playing in that final?
Didn't know that. I assumed Davis cup was a entire different entity when it comes to point.

But Murray improved in every tournament this year besides maybe two or three. He basically did one better. He also played Vienna, I don't think he played there last year which was a extra 500 points.

Where as Djokovic has gone out early in quite a few tournaments that he won last year.

Bojan11

As much as I enjoy the Murray vs Djokovic rivalry, I do miss the good old Fed vs Nadal days. Wish they meet in a few tournaments next year. Strange seeing Federer as number 12.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What an effort by Muzza. So proud of him .. Agree with the fact that peak Dkojo would wipe the floor with him but I think next year Murray can get even better.

In the first set his big shots were excellent - needs to do that regularly if he wants to maintain energy for next year.

If Djoko slump continues Murray could get either Aussie or French open.

Jazz

As much as I enjoy the Murray vs Djokovic rivalry, I do miss the good old Fed vs Nadal days. Wish they meet in a few tournaments next year. Strange seeing Federer as number 12.
Think Fed will fall even further in the rankings. Can't wait to see how he goes next year. Funnily, I always thought Fed vs Novak a better match up. But can't beat Fed and Nadal in that Wimbledon final...

Skills

Snitch
Think Fed will fall even further in the rankings. Can't wait to see how he goes next year. Funnily, I always thought Fed vs Novak a better match up. But can't beat Fed and Nadal in that Wimbledon final...
Always thought the 2009 Australian Open final was better

Kag

Djokovic is nowhere near his best form but part of being the best is taking advantages of the mental superiority that comes with it. Murray would regularly swat almost everybody else to turn in a final against Djokovic and hit the ball like a halfwit. Roles reversed tonight to an extent.

Djokovic will return, but Murray is going to hang around. I just wish he'd increase his slam count to a number in line with the rest of his achievements.

RedFish

Djokovic is nowhere near his best form but part of being the best is taking advantages of the mental superiority that comes with it. Murray would regularly swat almost everybody else to turn in a final against Djokovic and hit the ball like a halfwit. Roles reversed tonight to an extent.

Djokovic will return, but Murray is going to hang around. I just wish he'd increase his slam count to a number in line with the rest of his achievements.
Yeah, those first 5 GS losses didn't help eh? Still, he has evolved when most would have plateaued. Producing a performance like tonight on the back of a gruelling match vs Raonic only yesterday is just a wonderful example of that. His 2 Olympic titles cannot be discounted though, and no doubt what Djoko wouldn't give to have just one of those......

wr8_utd

:'(
Congrats to Murray on a super year but I think a lot of the tennis media is writing off Djoko and hyping up Murray. Djoko just seemed to lose motivation and a bit of spark after his RG title and has looked tired and been carrying injuries since. I think he'll come back firing again in Jan.

Kag

Yeah, those first 5 GS losses didn't help eh? Still, he has evolved when most would have plateaued. Producing a performance like tonight on the back of a gruelling match vs Raonic only yesterday is just a wonderful example of that. His 2 Olympic titles cannot be discounted though, and no doubt what Djoko wouldn't give to have just one of those......
Indeed. I actually think Murray has a brilliant chance over the next two years to go all out at the Australian Open and Roland Garros to complete the set. The latter will be difficult, but he'd be extremely unlucky if he were to end his career having not gotten his hands on the big one down under.

Ixion

Managed to get my hands on a (very expensive) ticket for tonight and just got back from the match. Amazing from Murray! Djokovic's off court problems have affected him but that's not Murray's problem, he's beaten the player's ranked 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th this week. There can be no argument he's the best in the World at the moment and should be favourite for the Australian Open. Depending on the first tournament of the year he picks he can probably take his winning streak up to about 30 games now.

Bojan11

Just looked.

Federer is actually ranked 16 now. I am sure Federer and Nadal are annoyed also.

As well as Murray has done. Federer would have beaten Raonic at Wimbledon if he wasn't out for a few months before that. I felt the Cillic match took too much out of him. Nadal won Barcelona, Monte Carlo and reached the Rome final losing to Djokovic. He was starting to get some form and then sadly picks up a wrist injury.

Murray has benefited from Djokovics slump. I feel Federer and Nadal would have too if they did not pick up their injuries. More so Federer because he's destroyed Murray the last few times they met.

ZDwyr

Hopefully Murray can carry this into the AO. With Fed and Rafa slipping in the rankings and Del Potro always a danger, whoever manages to avoid tricky early encounters with them will be well placed. I think Raonic will be a big threat next year, can see him making another slam final and maybe winning one. Also expect Djokovic to come back closer to his usual level too.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
When are the SPOTY awards in the UK? Surely Murray has to be the favorite now?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
They are in December I think.
Scotland will more than likely vote out of the Union if BREXIT goes ahead (***personal thoughts on this deleted***) so it's his last chance really. He'll possibly be up for a SSSPOTY every year after that though ;)
It's hard to imagine that someone else deserves it more than him. He became and finished number 1 in the world, won the Final Masters in London, won Wimbledon, won a Gold medal for GB at the Olympics. Phenomenal year and his greatest achievements all happened in, or were connected to the UK somehow.

SqueakyWeasel

It's hard to imagine that someone else deserves it more than him. He became and finished number 1 in the world, won the Final Masters in London, won Wimbledon, won a Gold medal for GB at the Olympics. Phenomenal year and his greatest achievements all happened in, or were connected to the UK somehow.
Totally agree with you! Seems so long ago but some British Olympians might figure too don't forget.

Ixion

Just checked and Cilic moved up to 6 so Murray did beat everyone ranked 2nd-6th in the last week. No one can argue he's the best in the World right now.
They are in December I think.
Scotland will more than likely vote out of the Union if BREXIT goes ahead (***personal thoughts on this deleted***) so it's his last chance really. He'll possibly be up for a SSSPOTY every year after that though ;)
He's already won it twice.

SqueakyWeasel

No one can argue he's the best in the World right now.
He's already won it twice
See what you mean, I was answering someone else's enquiry and just happened to word it badly but meant he's in for a shot this year still (wasn't saying he'd never won it before).

This is what I'm starting to hate about this site, everyone trying to catch each other out for a small fecking burn!

Don't really feel at home here any more

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
See what you mean, I was answering someone else's enquiry and just happened to word it badly but meant he's in for a shot this year still (wasn't saying he'd never won it before).

This is what I'm starting to hate about this site, everyone trying to catch each other out for a small fecking burn!

Don't really feel at home here any more
You forgot to finish your last sentence with a full stop.

saivet

What an effort from Delpo today in the Davis Cup final. Croatia were 2-1 up and one win away from winning it today. Delpo played Cilic and went down 2-0 in sets. Came back to win it in 5 sets, despite going an early break down in the deciding set. Delbonis currently 2 sets up and a break in the third set against Karlovic. Looks as though Argentina will do it. Maradona was there and saw him very excited at the start of Delpos comeback.

Ban

Kudos to Argentina. What an atmosphere.
I feel sorry for Cilic but that's sport and that's tennis. Del Potros was immense.
Karlovic didnt have his day, it was too much of a task for him to win that 5th match.

Special mention for all those 'celebrities' who saw their first ever tennis match probably but had to be seen in the stands and had to see who else is there and who went home after Cilic lost.
I mean, staying for 5th match, who would want that.. It's not cool.

Congrats to Argentina, deserved!
Gotta love their fans. :)

saivet

Ivanovic has just announced her retirement. Citing fitness issues as the reason.

Bojan11

Ivanovic has just announced her retirement. Citing fitness issues as the reason.
That's sad to hear. But not surprising as she has been struggling for the last four years.

She had a great career though with a slam and world number one.

Nikhil

One of my favourite female tennis players. Always supported her and wanted her to win more Slams. She just won the one Roland Garros though. Couldn't compete against Serena Williams, Wozniacki and the others because of injuries.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Federer is back in action after a long time. Currently serving for the first set in Hopman Cup's first round match against brit Daniel Evans. That could've been Sir Andrew Barron Murray, OBE, but he was excused as he's fighting Snow Giants in faraway Norway.