Tennis 2016

Giggsy92

The draw for the ATP Finals is hilariously lopsided - Murray, Stan, Nishikori and Cilic in one group, Djokovic, Raonic, Monfils and Thiem in the other. Going to be tough for Murray to finish year end number one, especially given his rubbish recent record at the O2.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Good article in the Serbian Politika about Djokovic. Highlighting the loss of Vajda, the disappearance of Nadal and Federer and the overall high level career pressure as reasons for Djokovic's implosion. One stat remains, the better head-to-head against all his rivals, Nadal, Federer, and Murray. The general impression of Murray is quite good. There is, however, the inevitable fact that Murray achieved the no.1 ranking during the complete absence of Nadal and Federer and due to Djokovic 'losing' rather than Murray 'winning' points. Nevertheless, everyone is pleased Murray has finally reached the spot. Team spirit in Murray's box was commended, cheerful, encouraging and high-spirited, basically the complete opposite of what was happening in Novak's team. Going forward, Djokovic will have to decide what his goal is and if reaching number 14, or number 17, is a strong enough motivation to 'kill yourself' for it, also considering there's quite a number of other records he has broken that won't be repeated in the coming decades.

ZDwyr

The Olympic loss really broke Novak. That was one of the few things left he would have really wanted, and now it is very unlikely he will be able to achieve that. Must have been tough to take.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Profited massively from Federer and Nadal slowing down so much, but kudos to him, his second half of the season was tremendous. He deserves his time out of the 3 huge shadows.

Bojan11

Profited massively from Federer and Nadal slowing down so much, but kudos to him, his second half of the season was tremendous. He deserves his time out of the 3 huge shadows.
He was beating peak Nadal in 2011. The only thing he profited from Nadal slowing down was a French open. The other surfaces, I think Djokovic is the better player.

Skills

Snitch
He was beating peak Nadal in 2011. The only thing he profited from Nadal slowing down was a French open. The other surfaces, I think Djokovic is the better player.
I agree, but I do think Rafa found a solution to the Djokovic problem in 2013, but unfortunately he was pretty much broken then anyway (and this was his last swansong) and then it was over for him soon after.

If it wasn't for his injuries in 2009, then 2012 I think he might've become the first to win all the grandslams twice. Djokovic of course still has a great shot at that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great match between Murray and Nishikori.. brilliant point by Murray during the tie break, one of his all time best points but Nishikori deservedly takes the first set. He looks like he has Murray's number in terms of playing style.. hits with more power and aggression off both wings.

Murray needs to start hitting lines because his defensive strategy isn't working here. Nishikori is too technically sound to be expecting errors off his racquet.

ZupZup

Great match between Murray and Nishikori.. brilliant point by Murray during the tie break, one of his all time best points but Nishikori deservedly takes the first set. He looks like he has Murray's number in terms of playing style.. hits with more power and aggression off both wings.

Murray needs to start hitting lines because his defensive strategy isn't working here. Nishikori is too technically sound to be expecting errors off his racquet.
I think Murray has been far too passive... especially on some of the big points like when he has had set point in the tie break. He'd be better off going for a big shot now and then rather than just trying to wait for a Nishikori error which just isn't happening. Seems a lot like their US Open match so far. Better start in this second set for Murray though!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think Murray has been far too passive... especially on some of the big points like when he has had set point in the tie break. He'd be better off going for a big shot now and then rather than just trying to wait for a Nishikori error which just isn't happening. Seems a lot like their US Open match so far. Better start in this second set for Murray though!
Yep very similar to the US Open match, but I felt in that match.. Nishkori was still tentative and not expecting to win, but managed to battle it out.

In this game Nishkori feels he has Murray's number, so Murray is playing like the underdog almost. He needs to man up and go toe to toe.

ZupZup

That break to go 5-4 up from Murray in the second was amazing... the point where he ran 76m and then followed it up with another big point when Nishikori was trying to give him the run around... sensational.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Murray takes it.. jeez what a tight match. Nishikori with better endurance would have taken it but Murray battles through.

Nishikori has a slam title in him.

ZDwyr

Warinka's record against world number 1's:

Not in Grand Slam finals: 0-20
In Grand Slam finals: 3-0

Such a strange player. Hoping for the Murray/Novak showdown. Would be nice for Murray to beat Djokovic just to further instill that he deserves to be #1.

RedFish

Warinka's record against world number 1's:

Not in Grand Slam finals: 0-20
In Grand Slam finals: 3-0

Such a strange player. Hoping for the Murray/Novak showdown. Would be nice for Murray to beat Djokovic just to further instill that he deserves to be #1.
Yeah, he's a hot streak player (Wawrinka). When on song, he's virtually unbeatable. Regardless of who wins this event though I think Murray will be hovering in and around the no 1 spot if not cementing that position. I say that only because no one can maintain the kind of run Novak has had forever. They'll be fighting it out for a good few years yet no doubt.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Awesome by Murray! What a match! Let's hope he has some energy left for the final.

Ixion

Can't believe Murray won that. Think it will have taken a lot out of him especially to play again tomorrow. Not many 3 set matches go over 3.5 hours!

Jazz

He must be fecked after that epic match.
He will be but needs to recover somehow. Shame you have all these media duties and shit to do before you can get some food and then rest.

Jazz

That was great, you'd take that as a final all day. Murray is awesome.
Yeah it could have been the final. Milos was surprisingly resilient. I've never seen him this good mentally. If he keeps this up, he's going to do some damage next season.
Murray really was excellent. Unbelievable fighter. Bloody wish our players had that mentality (sigh).

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Awesome win for Murray. And is it just me or is Nishikori always gash against Djokovic?

saivet

Awesome win for Murray. And is it just me or is Nishikori always gash against Djokovic?
It's true, though he has had a few crackers with Djokovic in the past. Nishikori had two long matches on the bounce. 3 hour match vs Murray and a 3 set match against Cilic yesterday. Djokovic has certainly been blessed with his draw in London.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
He beat Djokovic at the US Open in the SF in 2014. Lost in Rome this year in the final set in a tie-breaker.

Djokovic H2H against most is unreal.

Murray has only been on court just over 3 more hours this week, which is not much considering two matches have been about 7 hours alone. Murray had breezes against Cilic and Wawrinka like Djokovic had against Nishikori and Goffin.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Thought Murrays serve looked dodgy at the start but he's picked it up, some great tennis at times. Didn't think he'd break first.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Djokovic is so far from his best. What a shame. Hopefully he'll come out better to start the second.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Fantastic from Murray to keep the pressure on. You'd never know he played over 3-1/2 hours yesterday. I'd be dead :lol: