Tennis 2019

Brophs

The One and Only
Lopez v Simon doesn't ever really feel like it has gotten going. I think Lopez might need to win this in two, as he's starting to look a little tired, understandably.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mmmm.. not sure we'll see Novak/Nadal on the same side. Can't wait for the draw though.
It's 50% chance now.

Interestingly enough I find the 13-16 guys(Raonic, Cilic, Coric) to be much more dangerous floating around 1/8 finals than the 5-8 guys - Thiem, Zverev, Tsitsipas or Nishikori.

wr8_utd

:'(
Aye :) good final. Anderson would be seeded #4. Will love to see Djokovic / Nadal on the same side for once.
Mmmm.. not sure we'll see Novak/Nadal on the same side. Can't wait for the draw though.
Nah it's going to be Novak vs Anderson and Federer vs Nadal . 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 alternates every year and this year it's 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. So Roger getting the #2 doesn't make much of a difference at all.

saivet

Nah it's going to be Novak vs Anderson and Federer vs Nadal . 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 alternates every year and this year it's 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. So Roger getting the #2 doesn't make much of a difference at all.
Does it? First I've heard that

wr8_utd

Does it? First I've heard that
Even I'd never heard of it till I read it someplace on Twitter and then I checked out the draws for the last 6 years and it does indeed hold. Didn't have the patience to check beyond and couldn't find the official rules on this.
But if the rule/pattern holds it's Rafa vs Fed in the semis.

Enigma_87

You know who
Even I'd never heard of it till I read it someplace on Twitter and then I checked out the draws for the last 6 years and it does indeed hold. Didn't have the patience to check beyond and couldn't find the official rules on this.
But if the rule/pattern holds it's Rafa vs Fed in the semis.
Definitely not a rule it’s by chance and usually it’s 50-50 as I’ve said.

wr8_utd

Definitely not a rule it’s by chance and usually it’s 50-50 as I’ve said.
Maybe you're right and what I read was wrong. It has been true from something like atleast 2009 till 2018 though. I wonder if the pattern will continue.

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe you're right and what I read was wrong. It has been true from something like atleast 2009 till 2018 though. I wonder if the pattern will continue.
Pretty sure in 2009 Nadal withdrew as defending champion so #1 wasn't in contention at the time.

Otherwise that might have become a patter at some time, but still it's a draw so patterns do occur in 50-50% chance.

Of course we will see how the other players fall in the draw so being 2nd or 3rd makes a big difference.

wr8_utd

Pretty sure in 2009 Nadal withdrew as defending champion so #1 wasn't in contention at the time.

Otherwise that might have become a patter at some time, but still it's a draw so patterns do occur in 50-50% chance.

Of course we will see how the other players fall in the draw so being 2nd or 3rd makes a big difference.
Yeah I guess you're right and it's just been a coincidence it's gone on this long. Anyway, all this is immaterial as I don't really see Rafa making the semifinals so doesn't matter if he's facing Roger or Novak.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope Federer gets a good draw. At his age, it'll be very hard to beat both Nadal and Djokovic and a tough QF opponent. Can see him beating one of them though in the final on grass.

This may be his last chance at Wimbledon although I'd argue even next year 38 he can win it given his current level. But whatever happens, his fans should appreciate watching him play. People don't realise becuase he doesn't speak about it but the old man doesn't that many GS left in the tank.

saivet

Federer should be happy too.

Nadal not so much

InfiniteBoredom

That’s an awful draw for Nadal, if Kyrgios has his customary annual game raising match wouldn’t be surprised to see him going out there.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nadal finally with a tough draw. Roger should be happy with that. Djokovic too.

Pity we won't see Murray.

wr8_utd

Nadal finally with a tough draw. Roger should be happy with that. Djokovic too.

Pity we won't see Murray.
Yup was such an easy draw here last year with Rafa having to potentially go through Del Potro, Novak and Roger back to back to win the title.

Anyway, the draw has ensured Federer's path to the final because there's no way Rafa is making it through this draw :lol:

Also, like I was saying, the patter holds true for yet another year and it's 2 vs 3 this year.

Enigma_87

You know who
I much prefer the WTA, the games are so utterly ridiculous, much more entertaining to watch.
The only downside of GS matches is having to wait the women to stop fanning about before the men start.

Also imagine paying for a full day session - rains and you only have to watch some 6-0, 1-6, 6-1 game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yup was such an easy draw here last year with Rafa having to potentially go through Del Potro, Novak and Roger back to back to win the title.

Anyway, the draw has ensured Federer's path to the final because there's no way Rafa is making it through this draw :lol:

Also, like I was saying, the patter holds true for yet another year and it's 2 vs 3 this year.
Nadal is having a lot of issues with big serve, big hitters during the first week. Last year he played pretty much very suitable opponents for him. QF/SF/F is of course another matter and usually you get to play top players, but that is the same for Federer and Djokovic from 4th round onwards.

This year is pretty tough for him no doubt. Cilic at 4th is the worst opponent you can get. Shapovalov/Tsonga can be tricky at 3rd and of course if Kyrgios is on fire can take him out.

As for the pattern yes, once again it came true. :)

wr8_utd

Nadal is having a lot of issues with big serve, big hitters during the first week. Last year he played pretty much very suitable opponents for him. QF/SF/F is of course another matter and usually you get to play top players, but that is the same for Federer and Djokovic from 4th round onwards.

This year is pretty tough for him no doubt. Cilic at 4th is the worst opponent you can get. Shapovalov/Tsonga can be tricky at 3rd and of course if Kyrgios is on fire can take him out.

As for the pattern yes, once again it came true. :)
Pretty tough would be an understatement :lol:
I think it's one of the worst draws I've seen and I'm not remotely surprised Nick landed up in his quarter. I'd have been stunned if he'd ended up anywhere else. Nick is going to beat Rafa in R2 before going out to Shapo in R3.

Even Novak's joke actually isn't very easy. Monfils/FAA and Tsitsipas back to back is the second toughest of the 3 draws.

Bole Top

I can't even imagine more difficult draw than one that Rafa got. it's possibly the worst draw I've ever seen.

Bojan11

I highly doubt Rafas draw will end up like that regardless.

Kyrgios could do a Kyrgios. Shapovalov or Tsonga could be knocked out before that as they ain’t been in great form and same for Cillic. Thiems not done anything on grass yet.

wr8_utd

Shouldn't even be Rafa's draw , Wimbledon seeding is a joke
Somehow, you just know, even if Rafa was 2nd seed, he'd still get this type of draw. Federer in maybe his last draw at Wimbledon isn't getting a draw like the Rafa one.
Nadal was lined up for a Del Potro, Novak and Federer back to back last year and this year he won't even make it that far.

Skills

Snitch
The draw looks worse on paper.

Thiem is the only good player up until the SF, but he'll probably get knocked out before the QF stage.

wr8_utd

The draw looks worse on paper.

Thiem is the only good player up until the SF, but he'll probably get knocked out before the QF stage.
What? Nick will play the match of his life and that's a very good chance Rafa goes out in R2 itself. If he makes it past that he's going to face a Tsonga that almost beat Federer last week or Shapovalov who looked very sharp in beating Novak yesterday. In R4 it's a Cilic (great grass court player) who just beat Rafa in straight sets day before and then comes Thiem who would probably be the easiest match from R2 till the QF. That says it all really about the draw.
Ofcourse if he does somehow get through all of this, it's Roger and Novak back to back :lol:

Skills

Snitch
What? Nick will play the match of his life and that's a very good chance Rafa goes out in R2 itself. If he makes it past that he's going to face a Tsonga that almost beat Federer last week or Shapovalov who looked very sharp in beating Novak yesterday. In R4 it's a Cilic (great grass court player) who just beat Rafa in straight sets day before and then comes Thiem who would probably be the easiest match from R2 till the QF. That says it all really about the draw.
Ofcourse if he does somehow get through all of this, it's Roger and Novak back to back :lol:
Kyrgios is a pretender who's been living off his win over Nadal in 2014. Not a very good player, though he does a good job of making people believe his attitude and not his lack of ability is what holds him back.

Most of those guys won't even end up reaching that far (it's why they're seeded so low), but if it does Nadal still has a great chance up until the SFs. As long as he's not too beat up, Nadal looked a different beast last year at Wimbledon and this year in Australia.

wr8_utd

Kyrgios is a pretender who's been living off his win over Nadal in 2014. Not a very good player, though he does a good job of making people believe his attitude and not his lack of ability is what holds him back.

Most of those guys won't even end up reaching that far (it's why they're seeded so low), but if it does Nadal still has a great chance up until the SFs. As long as he's not too beat up, Nadal looked a different beast last year at Wimbledon and this year in Australia.
Nick is crap and doesn't put in any effort unless he's up against the big players. He also particularly dislikes Novak and Rafa so he's absolutely going to be up for it. The talent Nick possesses isn't questionable, it's the attitude and in games like this, he'll be up for it.

saivet

Disagree with this. His head to head against the big 3:

Nadal: 3-3
Djokovic: 2-0
Federer: 1-3

He only has a negative head to head against Federer and 2 of those losses were tight matches.

No doubt Djokovic or Federer would have been happy with Kyrgios in round 1 or 2.

I think you may be right with Thiem, but Tsonga probably will make R3 and Cilic in R4. Again players you wouldn't mind in a SF or F but they are potentially tricky matches early on even with question marks around them.

That being said, tough draws on paper can fall apart.

saivet

I wouldn't read too much into exhibition results

wr8_utd

I wouldn't read too much into exhibition results
Yeah Shapovalov probably won't be an issue but Cilic is a tough match on grass. Especially for something as early as R4.
If Rafa somehow makes the final or wins here it'll probably be his greatest tennis achievement ever.

saivet

Yeah Shapovalov probably won't be an issue but Cilic is a tough match on grass. Especially for something as early as R4.
If Rafa somehow makes the final or wins here it'll probably be his greatest tennis achievement ever.
Yeah agreed, though I don't see it happening unfortunately.