Tennis 2020

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Schwartzmann wins. Great performance from him.

saivet

Good start from Schwatzman. He really is a good player and nice to watch too.

Somewhat limited because of his serve though.

saivet

Even forgetting which side of the draw he's in, Djokovic is definitely a draw winner. Garin in R4 is potentially a tricky match, but I think he should be making the SFs comfortably and will likely be in the final.

Nadal's draw is tricky from R4 I think, Fognini has cause him problems on clay and while I wouldn't expect Zverev to beat him he's a worse player to face than Monfils or Berretini.

Thiem's draw is nasty with a potential tricky match in every round.

Bojan11

Even forgetting which side of the draw he's in, Djokovic is definitely a draw winner. Garin in R4 is potentially a tricky match, but I think he should be making the SFs comfortably and will likely be in the final.

Nadal's draw is tricky from R4 I think, Fognini has cause him problems on clay and while I wouldn't expect Zverev to beat him he's a worse player to face than Monfils or Berretini.

Thiem's draw is nasty with a potential tricky match in every round.
Even Goffin would be a tough match. These sort of players give Nadal and Djokovic a lot harder time than they did before because the latter two are getting older, so physically they getting worse. Nadal vs Schwartzmann the longer the rally went you favoured Diego.

It is rare that they win. But they definitely do give them tough matches especially when it comes to longer rallies.

Nadal has been dominant. But this isn’t a normal French open. Conditions will be different and don’t forget the roof. Nadal comes in with no clay titles, when usually he wins atleast 1 or 2.

saivet

Even Goffin would be a tough match. These sort of players give Nadal and Djokovic a lot harder time than they did before because the latter two are getting older, so physically they getting worse. Nadal vs Schwartzmann the longer the rally went you favoured Diego.

It is rare that they win. But they definitely do give them tough matches especially when it comes to longer rallies.

Nadal has been dominant. But this isn’t a normal French open. Conditions will be different and don’t forget the roof. Nadal comes in with no clay titles, when usually he wins atleast 1 or 2.
Agree on Goffin though his form has been ropey for a while. The different conditions and new roof makes everything less predictable.

Jagga7

The French Open is going to be such a shit show, weather is awful and is forecasted to be the same all week.

Bojan11

Anyone think Murray is going to call it a day? I don’t see him staying if he gets swatted around like that.

saivet

Anyone think Murray is going to call it a day? I don’t see him staying if he gets swatted around like that.
I don't think so, clay is his weakest surface and he's not played on it since 2017 when he killed off his hip. Stan has been out of form but still a good player. I think Murray is content with not being what he once was as long as he's fit and can compete against most players on tour.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Jannik Sinner probably a future top 5 player and Grand Slam winner

saivet

Fognini out in round is good news for Rafa. Comfortable win for Thiem against Cillic who has Sock next. If Ruud makes it through to R3 a match against Thiem should be good.

Serena currently not playing great..

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't know if it's the court or the balls but the quality of tennis in this Nadal match has been pretty poor from both guys. Novak, and his drop shots he's been playing for the last two months, should really help him with the low bounce here.

saivet

I don't know if it's the court or the balls but the quality of tennis in this Nadal match has been pretty poor from both guys. Novak, and his drop shots he's been playing for the last two months, should really help him with the low bounce here.
It's not been great. I watched the first set and Nadal was got his early break and nothing more than that. Wouldn't read too much into this match though.

wr8_utd

It's not been great. I watched the first set and Nadal was got his early break and nothing more than that. Wouldn't read too much into this match though.
He wasn't great but I think it's conditions and balls that everyone will struggle with and not just Rafa. I see this is as being quite a poor quality RG this year.

saivet

He wasn't great but I think it's conditions and balls that everyone will struggle with and not just Rafa. I see this is as being quite a poor quality RG this year.
Yeah probably, most player are lacking match sharpness on clay too. I think the quality will naturally increase as the tournament goes on.

saivet

I knew he wasn't great on clay but surprised to see Medvedev has never won a main match at Roland Garros. He's lost in the first round 3 years in a row. Potentially 4th year in a row, being a set and a break down.

Bojan11

I knew he wasn't great on clay but surprised to see Medvedev has never won a main match at Roland Garros. He's lost in the first round 3 years in a row. Potentially 4th year in a row, being a set and a break down.
He lost 6-1 in the fourth. Pathetic and Djokovics draw just got easier. Tsitipas is really the only guy who can cause him problems, but I doubt he’d make it to the semi finals.

saivet

He lost 6-1 in the fourth. Pathetic and Djokovics draw just got easier. Tsitipas is really the only guy who can cause him problems, but I doubt he’d make it to the semi finals.
Potentially Rublev too but he's in in Tsitsipas' quarter, so not much to worry about there.

wr8_utd

Honestly, Medvedev would be a cakewalk of a match for Djokovic in the very unlikely event that Medvedev ever even made it that far. He's just not very good on clay.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Why do players struggle so much depending on which surface they play on?

Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have won Grand Slams on clay grass and hard courts. One initially favoured grass, the other hard courts and the third one clay. They adapted to the other surfaces.

Why can other players not adapt similarly? If a Nadal can win Wimbledon, why do players less good on clay adjust even more badly to different surfaces?

Bojan11

Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have won Grand Slams on clay grass and hard courts. One initially favoured grass, the other hard courts and the third one clay. They adapted to the other surfaces.

Why can other players not adapt similarly? If a Nadal can win Wimbledon, why do players less good on clay adjust even more badly to different surfaces?
Medvedev has beaten Djokovic on clay.

He is not useless on clay. The closest court outside a clay court that resembles French is US open, which is slow. So Medvedev should definitely be doing better at the French. He has a good game and he’s very good on the baseline. Defensively when he’s on form he is one of the best on tour.

saivet

I think it's just a difference in talent levels but also a lack of determination to be good on a surface is an issue. I think a lot of players write of playing on clay as they're not good on it and don't think they ever will be and similarly with some players on grass.

It's also easier r to adapt the better you are. I was too young to follow him but I've heard that Sampras had a similar mentality about playing on clay. Did it because it was necessary but he wasn't really that up for the challenge.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I think it's just a difference in talent levels but also a lack of determination to be good on a surface is an issue. I think a lot of players write of playing on clay as they're not good on it and don't think they ever will be and similarly with some players on grass.

It's also easier r to adapt the better you are. I was too young to follow him but I've heard that Sampras had a similar mentality about playing on clay. Did it because it was necessary but he wasn't really that up for the challenge.
Interesting, thanks. A lack of determination at this level is astounding. They literally have one job.

Wawrinka struggling on grass always struck me as odd. Though grass clearly is the most special one to play on, with clay and hard courts slightly closer to one another. Despite recent slowing down of grass courts.

saivet

Medvedev has beaten Djokovic on clay.

He is not useless on clay. The closest court outside a clay court that resembles French is US open, which is slow. So Medvedev should definitely be doing better at the French. He has a good game and he’s very good on the baseline. Defensively when he’s on form he is one of the best on tour.
I'm not sure if it's the movement he struggled with on clay but that Djokovic win aside he's done nothing on the surface. Never made a clay final and 0-4 at Roland Garros. It is strange though as you'd think his style of play may make him a good clay court player.

Bojan11

Sampras had a good excuse. There was like a two or three week gap between that and Wimbledon. He might have not won as many Wimbledon’s, if he made deep runs in the French. Medvedev is useless at the French and he’s not really done anything on grass.

saivet

Sampras had a good excuse. There was like a two or three week gap between that and Wimbledon. He might have not won as many Wimbledon’s, if he made deep runs in the French. Medvedev is useless at the French and he’s not really done anything on grass.
Not sure what it is with Medvedev but time will tell. There's probably something more technical to his poor results on clay, but I haven't watched enough of him on clay to be honest as he keeps losing early :lol:

Bojan11

Not sure what it is with Medvedev but time will tell. There's probably something more technical to his poor results on clay, but I haven't watched enough of him on clay to be honest as he keeps losing early :lol:
He probably lacks a big shot and that’s what all the best players have. His run in America last year were amazing, but it was more his defensive work and ability to grind out results. He has a great serve, but that’s not much use on clay.

saivet

Mistake from the umpire which should have had Mladenovic winning the set 6-1 but ending up losing it 7-5.

Bojan11

Tsitipas in big trouble. What a farce.

I don’t even know why he played at Hamburg, when he got knocked out the US open early. He should have played in Rome.

wr8_utd

Tsitsipas losing is another result that really isn't a surprise. That AO at 2019 apart, he really is absolutely rubbish at Grand Slams. Rublev wins from 2 sets down. He's the only who may actually give Novak a match before the final.