Tennis 2020

saivet

Tsitipas in big trouble. What a farce.

I don’t even know why he played at Hamburg, when he got knocked out the US open early. He should have played in Rome.
He did play Rome, just he lost his first match. It's an issue with those tournaments right before a slam, lose early and confidence dented even further but go too deep and there is potential fatigue.

Bojan11

He did play Rome, just he lost his first match. It's an issue with those tournaments right before a slam, lose early and confidence dented even further but go too deep and there is potential fatigue.
He needs a new coach or something. He has got Patrick, but that’s not full time. I don’t know why some of these players like Zverev and Tsitipas hire their parents as coaches. It worked for Nadal having his Uncle as coach. But you always got that feeling Toni Nadal was a lot more disciplined and he would definitely not take any of the shit that Tsitipas and Zverev throw at their parents during games.

Since beating Fed last year at the AO, I don’t think Tsitipas has improved. He seems to have gone backwards.

saivet

Serena has withdrawn from the tournament. Assume it's injury related but it doesn't seem clear why just yet.

Jagga7

Bertens vs Errani was one of the most absurdly entertaining matches I have ever watched. Neither could hold serve, Bertens needed to be wheel chaired off court and Errani got a bit nasty, screaming "feck off" on her way out of the court.
:lol: Some classic WTA stuff.

saivet

Bertens vs Errani was one of the most absurdly entertaining matches I have ever watched. Neither could hold serve, Bertens needed to be wheel chaired off court and Errani got a bit nasty, screaming "feck off" on her way out of the court.
:lol: Some classic WTA stuff.
:lol: the commentators were just talking about it. Be two very interesting press conferences

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Anyone watching Ruud vs Thiem?

Some lovely tennis on show.

This Ruud kid is extremely talented.

saivet

Anyone watching Ruud vs Thiem?

Some lovely tennis on show.

This Ruud kid is extremely talented.
I watched some of the first set and Ruud is a good player who probably will have felt he had enough opportunities to win that set. I readThiem was very good in the second and third set. I think it's important he got the job done in straight sets as he possibly has to beat Wawrinka, Schwartzman, Nadal and Djokovic in a row to win the title.

saivet

Wawrinka down 2-1 to some guy I've never heard of. Was quite looking forward to a potential Wawrinka - Thiem 4th round.

Bole Top

seeing Monfils lose earlier this week for some reason reminded me of another player who's completely forgotten these days - Dolgopolov. literally nowhere to be seen even though he hasn't retired. even his wiki doesn't get updated anymore.

saivet

seeing Monfils lose earlier this week for some reason reminded me of another player who's completely forgotten these days - Dolgopolov. literally nowhere to be seen even though he hasn't retired. even his wiki doesn't get updated anymore.
No idea where he is these days, but pretty sure he's had a lot of injury issues.

Jazz

I'm in shock at the moment. Halep getting beaten up so far by Swiatek. This Polish teenager is playing brilliant, brilliant tennis so far.

Edit - she won in straight sets. Amazing performance at 19!

Last edited:

Jazz

Do you guys remember Petr Korda? Used to irritate Sampras whenever they played:D
His son is here playing Rafa and my goodness he looks like his dad's twin!

saivet

Do you guys remember Petr Korda? Used to irritate Sampras whenever they played:D
I had no idea who Petr Korda was before this match was scheduled to be honest but his son playing Nadal is a super fan. He named his cat Rafa and had a picture with him as a kid.

RORY65

Petr Korda won the Australia Open, his 2 daughters have both won the Australia Open golf and his son has won the junior Australian Open already.

Jazz

I had no idea who Petr Korda was before this match was scheduled to be honest but his son playing Nadal is a super fan. He named his cat Rafa and had a picture with him as a kid.
I'm old so that's why I remember all these folks. Sampras hated playing him :lol:

Yes the commentators mentioned that his cat is called Rafa:)

Jazz

Petr Korda won the Australia Open, his 2 daughters have both won the Australia Open golf and his son has won the junior Australian Open already.
It's interesting that his children all seem to be in sports and doing well!

Never heard much about him after he retired.

Jazz

Thiem faffing about here :rolleyes:

No way should this be going to a 5th set

Bojan11

Rafa is loving this as even if Thiem wins this he’s tiring as Gaston loves his drop shots. Then Thiem has Schwartzman next, which could be another long match.

Bojan11

Going to be questions asked about why Zverev played today if he had such a high temperature. Just crazy. You putting the whole tournament at risk.

saivet

Rafa is loving this as even if Thiem wins this he’s tiring as Gaston loves his drop shots. Then Thiem has Schwartzman next, which could be another long match.
I think Schwartzman will beat Thiem. Thiem even in his matches prior today won in straight sets but he seemed to be lacking something.

Bole Top

Djokovic - Khachanov later, probably the first real "test" for one of the top 2. Djokovic will most likely beat him with ease but at least on paper it should be more than a training match where you practice your drop shots. matches vs Galan and Berankis were like watching him play against WTA players.

saivet

Djokovic - Khachanov later, probably the first real "test" for one of the top 2. Djokovic will most likely beat him with ease but at least on paper it should be more than a training match where you practice your drop shots. matches vs Galan and Berankis were like watching him play against WTA players.
I think it has the potential to be a good match, though mentally I don't think Khachanov will be able to concern Djokovic for more than a set or two.

Good to see Rublev and Tsitsipas have both made it through to the QFs after of them were down 2-0 in sets in round 1.

wr8_utd

:'(
Diego takes the TB 7-1. While he's been really good, Thiem has been awful every time he's had chances on Diego's serve. So passive, too much slicing and too many errors.

saivet

This game at 4-4 in the second set feels pivotal. What, 7 break point opportunities missed for Thiem so far?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Thiem wins the set but doesn`t look too great physically. If he`s struggling after two sets that`s not a good sign.

wr8_utd

I think Diego will long have nightmares about those 3 points at 5-4 in the second set.

wr8_utd

Diego breaks and will serve for the third. Wihch means Thiem will break back.

wr8_utd

Ofcourse, Thiem breaks back to love with 4 unforced errors from Diego. This match is so predictable.

wr8_utd

Diego loses three games in a row now with a bucketload of errors and Thiem to serve for the third.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Great match. Thiem needs to finish this in 4 now, otherwise he`ll be cooked against Nadal if this goes to 5 hours +.

wr8_utd

Great match. Thiem needs to finish this in 4 now, otherwise he`ll be cooked against Nadal if this goes to 5 hours +.
I don't think Rafa's match will even take place today at this rate. There's another match on Chartrier before he plays so I don't think tiredness will be that huge a big factor for either of them.

Bojan11

I don't think Rafa's match will even take place today at this rate. There's another match on Chartrier before he plays so I don't think tiredness will be that huge a big factor for either of them.
Rafa wouldn’t mind that. Playing Wednesday and Friday that’s if he doesn’t have a long match himself.

Schwartzmann needs to get another break.

saivet

Provided this doesn't go on to anything silly like 18-16 in the 5th set, I think they will just play Nadal Sinner under the roof in the late evening.