Tennis 2021

saivet

She's now beaten Osaka, Kerber and now Svitolina back to back. Incredibly entertaining final set.

Last edited:

Suedesi

What can't you stand about her? She's been fantastic.
No real reason. You can justify why you like/dislike something or someone but oftentimes there's no real reason. In the words of psychologist Paul Rozin who works on aversions, "Our explanations for why we like or dislike things are pretty lame. We have to invent accounts."

Balljy

Remarkable start from Raducacu against Bencic. Bencic 2-0 in a flash. Raducanu has brought it back to 3-3.

It's still Bencic's match really - experience and form - but a decent show so far.
She's got the first set now. She seems to start slow and build into matches for some reason, which I'm not sure she'll get away with all the time.

She's definitely a proper talent based on what we're seeing here.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
She's got the first set now. She seems to start slow and build into matches for some reason, which I'm not sure she'll get away with all the time.

Impressive tournament for her, however today turns out. She's so new to the tour, never mind to slams and top flight competition.

PoTMS

Raducanu is amazing. She has everything about her to become the next global international female superstar.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bencic won't give up but looking outmatched. Takes an important first game of the second set

SoCross

Radacanu’s game seems so simple but so effective. Impressive. Definite star in the making.

Dan_F

Probably nerves. She struggled to close out a couple of matches too.

She’s getting teasy now.
I’m not sure anyone who hasn’t lived in Cornwall will understand that.

T_Model101

Raducanu is a superstar
I saw a Daily Mail article then other day that said her current coaches performance would be judged at the end of this tournament, with Emma's father being a key decision maker....
I have no doubt that she'll soon be surrounded by sycophants and hangers on, and posting generic, Anthony Joshua style Facebook posts
But it's absolutely glorious following a future superstar at the start of their career

Dan_F

What's glorious about it?
I’m guessing, apart from the actual tennis, it’s the refreshing nature of not seeing bland, generic, social media posts by a PR team. Or highly scripted interview answers.

Not a fan?

Zen

Her social media looks..... tremendously generic to be fair :lol:

Seems like theres something here, but I'll reign my judgment for a bit, the Womens game recently has some wild out there Slam winners, forget semi-finalists.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
There’s clearly more than just “something here”. To put it in perspective, Raducanu wasn’t even playing on the Ladies tour until a few months ago and now she’s reached semifinals of a slam as a qualifier and without losing a set. The similarities in style between her and a certain Serbian male tennisser are uncanny, she’s playing like a female Novak Djokovic. And to think she’s only going to improve physically & tactically… I haven’t seen anyone like her since a young Serena Williams broke through.

Looks like Britain has a future superstar on their hands.

Brophs

The One and Only
Raducanu is a superstar
I saw a Daily Mail article then other day that said her current coaches performance would be judged at the end of this tournament, with Emma's father being a key decision maker....
I have no doubt that she'll soon be surrounded by sycophants and hangers on, and posting generic, Anthony Joshua style Facebook posts
But it's absolutely glorious following a future superstar at the start of their career
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/t...-dark-future-coaching-role-Emma-Raducanu.html
It seems like her dad had just as much input into the writing of that article as he does his daughter's career. He must be worth a few quid to be advertising in a national newspaper like this.
with Raducanu’s father Ian the key figure in judging which direction to take
The seemingly unusual choice was in line with the way Raducanu’s father has been happy to go against orthodox thinking when it comes to his daughter’s career.
Whatever the approach adopted by the Raducanus, conventional or not, the outcome is undoubtedly impressive.

Suedesi

Most of us like being there at those, "a star is born," moments.

I liked being there when Giggs made his (real) debut. I liked being there when Cristiano came on as a sub.

It is glorious watching a new talent emerge.
If you'd followed her through the qualifiers maybe your point would stand. Right now you're jumping on the bandwagon. I feel the same way about American fans jumping on the Coco train, media loves new heroes.

Suedesi

There’s clearly more than just “something here”. To put it in perspective, Raducanu wasn’t even playing on the Ladies tour until a few months ago and now she’s reached semifinals of a slam as a qualifier and without losing a set. The similarities in style between her and a certain Serbian male tennisser are uncanny, she’s playing like a female Novak Djokovic. And to think she’s only going to improve physically & tactically… I haven’t seen anyone like her since a young Serena Williams broke through.

Looks like Britain has a future superstar on their hands.
Behave

Suedesi

I’m guessing, apart from the actual tennis, it’s the refreshing nature of not seeing bland, generic, social media posts by a PR team. Or highly scripted interview answers.

Not a fan?
If you scroll through the previous page you'd see that I am a fan.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If you'd followed her through the qualifiers maybe your point would stand. Right now you're jumping on the bandwagon. I feel the same way about American fans jumping on the Coco train, media loves new heroes.
I watched her at Wimbledon :smirk:

I don't watch junior tennis, so I'm never going to live up to your high expectations for being impressed, unless you count my niece playing for her school team. And Giggs and Ronaldo weren't novices when they debuted for United either :lol:

Balljy

I think most people who are commenting here are general tennis fans who watched her at Wimbledon and have continued to since. That was pretty much the first time you could actually see her play without watching untelevised junior matches.

Suedesi

I watched her at Wimbledon :smirk:

I don't watch junior tennis, so I'm never going to live up to your high expectations for being impressed, unless you count my niece playing for her school team. And Giggs and Ronaldo weren't novices when they debuted for United either :lol:
Fair enough, and I hope she does well.