Tennis 2021

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Women's semifinals could be epic too. Sabalenka vs Fernandez and Raducanu vs Sakkari. Could have two teenagers in the final.

Dan_F

Ahhh yes the girl born to Romanian and Chinese parents in (checks notes) Canada... but she's good so rule Britaina right...
Let me just put my Union Jack away then. According to this thread you can only really be a proper fan if you watched her in the qualifiers, or maybe it’ll help if you’re Canadian. But even then, you’ll be called a Stan.

The views are almost as elitist as the sport itself.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ahhh yes the girl born to Romanian and Chinese parents in (checks notes) Canada... but she's good so rule Britaina right...
Some of us are proud to be a multicultural nation.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Let me just put my Union Jack away then. According to this thread you can only really be a proper fan if you watched her in the qualifiers, or maybe it’ll help if you’re Canadian. But even then, you’ll be called a Stan.

Some of us are proud to be a multicultural nation.

Enough of those wonderful union Jack wavey types seem to think my son can't be British even though he's born here because he's a "slanty eyed chink"... so yeah let's just say that ones britishness does seem to depend if your seen as an immugrunt or one of the good immigrants...

(For clarity I'm born in UK to two immigrants parents .... married to another immigrant (of mixed ethnicity) with my son born in UK so yeah I'm not exactly anti multiculturalism but I've encountered Enough in the UK who are to know its not exactly a tiny minority

Moby

Dick
(For clarity I'm born in UK to two immigrants parents .... married to another immigrant (of mixed ethnicity) with my son born in UK so yeah I'm not exactly anti multiculturalism but I've encountered Enough in the UK who are to know its not exactly a tiny minority
So it only makes sense for you to turn into exactly the same

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Enough of those wonderful union Jack wavey types seem to think my son can't be British even though he's born here because he's a "slanty eyed chink"... so yeah let's just say that ones britishness does seem to depend if your seen as an immugrunt or one of the good immigrants...

Even if the press and some anti immigrants are celebrating/using her for ulterior motives, it's still an overall positive that someone born in Canada to Chinese and Romanian parents can be the face of British tennis. She will motivate the next generation and raise the level of discussion on other important things like race and immigration. I can relate to your wariness around these things but let's celebrate the positives.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Obviously it’s ok to support athletes of your nationality unless you’re British. Not that my judgement has anything to do with being British or not, I just haven’t seen a female tennisser as talented as this in a very long time and she still has so much to improve. And that’s without even considering she’s the first ever qualifier to reach the semis at the US Open, only the 3rd player outside the top 100 to do so AND she’s only just started playing on the ladies tour… go figure..

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So it only makes sense for you to turn into exactly the same
I'm just waiting for her to loose a match and then see her torn apart like the players who missed penalties... who knows perhaps she's white enough to pass the immigrant / immigrunt test

Looks like she will be around for a while and like Andy Murray when she wins she will be British and when she looses she will be Scottish/ Canadian... though hopefully she won't do something stupid like say she supports whoever is playing against England

TheLiverBird

She's lived in Britain since she was two, went to school here and trained here. Of course she's British.

Unless she says differently, but that would be her choice.
Exactly this

She has multicultural parents, but all she knows is being brought up in Britain.

she’s as British as any of us born here in that respect

To say someone isn’t British because they weren’t born here or “jumping on the bandwagon” just because she’s “good”…..isn’t that abit old fashioned in thinking? Or moronic, or perhaps both I think

besides, no one is jumping on that bandwagon claiming her as ours because she’s good, she’s ours because she identifies as British, and she’s good because of her coaching and training in Britain, we haven’t snatched her

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Exactly this

She has multicultural parents, but all she knows is being brought up in Britain.

she’s as British as any of us born here in that respect

To say someone isn’t British because they weren’t born here or “jumping on the bandwagon” just because she’s “good”…..isn’t that abit old fashioned in thinking? Or moronic, or perhaps both I think
That poster is attacking the old fashioned thinking as he's been the victim of it. Celebrating one uber-achiever (maybe one day) probably doesn't mask the bullshit he and his family face regularly.

Balljy

That poster is attacking the old fashioned thinking as he's been the victim of it. Celebrating one uber-achiever (maybe one day) probably doesn't mask the bullshit he and his family face regularly.
Of course not and we'd all rather no-one had to go through it and were treated as the British people they are. That doesn't mean that the majority of us who just see her as as a talented young tennis player shouldn't talk about her as British though.

It hadn't even crossed my mind until it was brought up here although I had read about her upbringing at Wimbledon.

TheLiverBird

I'm just waiting for her to loose a match and then see her torn apart like the players who missed penalties... who knows perhaps she's white enough to pass the immigrant / immigrunt test

Looks like she will be around for a while and like Andy Murray when she wins she will be British and when she looses she will be Scottish/ Canadian... though hopefully she won't do something stupid like say she supports whoever is playing against England
It like your speaking for the entire nation

your talking utter drivel

of course there are people out there with this mindset, but not the majority

Andy is British when he wins, he’s still British when he loses, same for Emma

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
People are drawn to a story, and to a personality - or at least to what we see of their personality. My favourite male player is Rafael Nadal - but not because some bars in Mallorca sell full English breakfasts.

Sections of the racist and massively hypocritical British press prey on nationalism with loaded phrases and even mask their racism with praise for black athletes - as long as they conform and as long as they are successful. So I get the frustration with that.

However, it also doesn't mean that British fans who watched her at Wimbledon, and who saw her at her (winning) happiest and then at her (losing) most stressed, won't have a particular soft spot for her. But then, that won't actually change if she now tells me she's a Chinese/Romanian who wants to play for Canada.

I'm old enough to remember Evonne Goolagong and alert enough to have seen them fawn over Roger Federer :smirk: Wimbledon crowds (including the TV watching variant) have favourites.

And an 18 year old who looks like she's loving playing? What's not to love.

Classical Mechanic

though hopefully she won't do something stupid like say she supports whoever is playing against England
She's the anti-Murray

I think the whole 'British when they're winning, Scottish when they're losing' etc is largely overblown. Where are the examples of it? I was thinking about it in the Olympics where the commentators were referring to athletes as Welsh/Scottish and British interchangeably in the same way they might refer to some an athlete as Yorkshireman etc. They do this if they are winning or losing.

Brophs

The One and Only
Every single slam this thread degenerates into some form of boring shite.

Brophs

The One and Only
In actual tennis chat, for some reason I think Zverev is more likely to take out Djokovic than Medvedev. I think he’ll beat either in either straights or for the loss of a set, though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
In actual tennis chat, for some reason I think Zverev is more likely to take out Djokovic than Medvedev. I think he’ll beat either in either straights or for the loss of a set, though.
I can't handle these midnight matches :smirk: so I didn't see Djokovic yesterday (this morning). Is he really looking that beatable?

I watched him at the Olympics and he looked (mentally) all over the place - but I couldn't work out if that was because of the weird playing conditions, because he wasn't taking it seriously, or something else.

Brophs

The One and Only
I can't handle these midnight matches :smirk: so I didn't see Djokovic yesterday (this morning). Is he really looking that beatable?

I watched him at the Olympics and he looked (mentally) all over the place - but I couldn't work out if that was because of the weird playing conditions, because he wasn't taking it seriously, or something else.
Shit. I didn’t phrase that well. What I meant was, Zverev is more likely than Medvedev to beat him but I still think Djokovic probably beats either. Zverev looks really switched on this fortnight. Not sure I’ve seen him quite so efficient and untroubled before.

I think this is basically Slam Djokovic now. He can win in second gear mainly and every so often there’s an iffy set, but you always feel that, even if only mentally, he’ll just have too much in the big moments.

Ladron de redcafe

Shit. I didn’t phrase that well. What I meant was, Zverev is more likely than Medvedev to beat him but I still think Djokovic probably beats either. Zverev looks really switched on this fortnight. Not sure I’ve seen him quite so efficient and untroubled before.

I think this is basically Slam Djokovic now. He can win in second gear mainly and every so often there’s an iffy set, but you always feel that, even if only mentally, he’ll just have too much in the big moments.
The only thing I'd point out is that Zverev seems to have a mental block that stops him from breaking through. He could be 2 sets up in a slam final and as soon as a finish line emerges on the horizon, he proceeds go capitulate. I just wouldn't trust him to beat someone like Djokovic in a semi final until he actually does it.

Medvedev is hit or mess, but at his best is as tricky as anyone.

MadMike

She's lived in Britain since she was two, went to school here and trained here. Of course she's British.

Unless she says differently, but that would be her choice.
Unless her ancestors arrived on these isles with the Anglo-Saxon invasions, then she's an imposter and not one of us :mad:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Zverev is definitely a tougher match-up for Djokovic than Medvedev. I see Zverev winning in 4 sets. His serve down the middle has been on point and his backhand is super crisp and accurate.

saivet

Winning the CYGS is impressive in any circumstance, however if Djokovic does it, his run at all 4 slams has been incredible.

Australian Open - beat Zverev in the QF and faced Medvedev who was the form player in the final

French Open - beat Nadal and also beat Tsistispas who was the the form player on clay from the younger players

Wimbledon - relatively straightforward path to the final but he played Berrettini who was the form player (probably the only realistic threat) on grass in the final

US Open* - faces Zverev in the SF who beat him in the Olympics a few weeks ago and potentially faces Medvedev in the final who is the form player on hard courts

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them beats him, but if he can do it, I think this kind of achievement would cement his status as the GOAT (as it stands I think he is leading in that regard anyway).

Suedesi

Bullshit - I just don't find it "absolutely glorious following a future superstar at the start of their career." Glorious, heroic, brave - this type of language associated with an armchair fan is so over the top I find it grating. But feel free to misquote/misrepresent me in the future.

Suedesi

Exactly - the juxtaposition is hilarious. Not quite Daily Express levels mind, but funny.

LDUred

*checks notes*

The general tenor of your posts in this thread is borderline racist.

If you have seen any of her interviews she speaks with a cut glass British accent. If she says she's British, she is British end of story. And it's none of your business whichever way.

For what it's worth, Chris Froome is by dint of birthplace Kenyan, Boris Johnson is by the same token American with Turkish ancestry. No-one has any issue with them being deemed British.

Take your bigotry elsewhere.

Last edited:

Dan_F

Bullshit - I just don't find it "absolutely glorious following a future superstar at the start of their career." Glorious, heroic, brave - this type of language associated with an armchair fan is so over the top I find it grating. But feel free to misquote/misrepresent me in the future.
That fine, I’ll take that at face value, but you might want to bold the part you’re actually referring too. I’m still not reading it back as you taking issue with using the word glorious in your original post, more with people jumping on a bandwagon. Even more so when referring to Coco Gauff further down.

Suedesi

*checks notes*

The general tenor of your posts in this thread is borderline racist.

If you have seen any of her interviews she speaks with a cut glass British accent. If she says she's British, she is British end of story. And it's none of your business whichever way.

For what it's worth, Chris Froome is by dint of birthplace Kenyan, Boris Johnson is by the same token American with Turkish ancestry. No-one has any issue with them being deemed British.

Take your bigotry elsewhere.
You can't be serious.

He's lamenting the fact that even though his kids were born in the UK to two UK-born parents they are still considered by some as "slanty eyed chinks" whereas the uber-achieving teenage phenom who's half Chinese and born in Toronto is embraced by the media and public as a Brit. Surely you can see his/her point.