Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyadams

Given his horrific injury problems he just seems delighted that he can be back competing at a decent level. It's like you think he should just jack it in if his chances of winning a major are very low now, whereas he seems to be loving playing in front of crowds.
Not saying he should jack it in, but when you've been the best, it takes a certain mindset to continue when you know you're nowhere near the best anymore. For example, you won't see many elite footballers dropping down the leagues. You'll never see Kevin De Bruyne turning out for Barnsley at 40 just because he could cut it.

I'm not knocking the guy, its admirable.

SuperiorXI

I'm not a big tennis fan but I have to say all the attention that they're giving Raducanu is a bit strange... is this normal? So much pressure for the youngster to deal with. BBC sports twitter never shuts up about her.

She must have incredible mental toughness to deal with it all.

saivet

I'm not a big tennis fan but I have to say all the attention that they're giving Raducanu is a bit strange... is this normal? So much pressure for the youngster to deal with. BBC sports twitter never shuts up about her.

It's a pretty incredible run that she went on firstly at Wimbledon and then at the US Open so it's expected to be honest. Murray still gets the attention and so did Konta when she was at her peak but there just aren't many top British players to follow the closely. It's only Andy Murray and Dan Evans in R2 for the mens singles and Raducanu and Watson (who had her spotlight at one point) in R2 for the women.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not saying he should jack it in, but when you've been the best, it takes a certain mindset to continue when you know you're nowhere near the best anymore. For example, you won't see many elite footballers dropping down the leagues. You'll never see Kevin De Bruyne turning out for Barnsley at 40 just because he could cut it.

I'm not knocking the guy, its admirable.
Yeah it must be frustrating when he can see how Fed, Nadal and Djokovic's bodies have held out in comparison. As others have said though, he's still a top 20 or so level player and able to get to a tour final. Hingis came back as a doubles player and Navratilova carried on way past her prime for the love of the sport.

If you think about snooker, Davis and Hendry carried on long after they were totally dominant, becoming bit part players. In F1, Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen have all spent years on end in uncompetitive cars picking up very occasional podiums where they can.

If you've only ever done one thing since you were a kid, retiring at 34 must be very daunting, even if you're a multimillionaire. That's a lot of years to fill.

MattofManchester

Nadal looks solid, but there's a lot missing right now.

Feels like he'll struggle to compete at Zverev/Medvedev level.

His groundstrokes are inconsistent and he's been dropping the ball way too short on the return and in general.

I hope it improves, but as of now he'll struggle massively in more difficult matches.

Yagami

Good post resistant

His groundstrokes are inconsistent and he's been dropping the ball way too short on the return and in general.

I hope it improves, but as of now he'll struggle massively in more difficult matches.
Agreed

Rafa's break point conversion rate was especially poor here. Could've ended the match a lot sooner, which, considering the conditions he was playing in, would've been very beneficial.

GueRed

Alize Lim presenting on Eurosports is cute isnt she.
that sexy french accent as well! ohlala

GueRed

I'm just a casual fan but isnt it expected?
She's a Grand Slam winner. British tennis history hasnt been exactly teeming with them

Plus she's marketable young, talented, got the looks etc. The media always latch on to someone like that who ticks those boxes...

wr8_utd

:'(
Agreed

Rafa's break point conversion rate was especially poor here. Could've ended the match a lot sooner, which, considering the conditions he was playing in, would've been very beneficial.

It's been the Rafa of the last year or so. Erratic groundstrokes, fair amount of errors and very poorly played big points. He'll have to massively step up in level if he does make it far enough to play Zverev.

saivet

Hurcacz two sets down to Mannarino and Karatsev has dropped the first set against McDonald.

Khachanov a set and a break up so a likely R3 match against Nadal.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Murray v Daniel looking too tough for Murray. Daniel looked like he was racing away with it, then it was Murray winning a streak of games, then back with Daniel - and Daniel is two sets up now.

Raducanu starts fast against Kovinic, 3 games to 0 up and Raducanu to serve.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Kovinic takes it back to 3-3 and looking strong now. Raducanu gets fresh (blister) strapping on her hands - too much tennis/training for her this past week?

Murray and Daniel trade breaks at the start of the third set.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Kovinic playing well now and takes the first set (despite going 3-0/2 breaks down at the start). She's kept the pressure on Raducanu's single handed forehand and those blisters!

Murray/Daniel scrapping it out in the third, but Daniel looking stronger at the moment.

saivet

Can Raducanu only slice? Saw she had blisters earlier so must be considerably affected

InfiniteBoredom

Murray out.

Was a good effort.

Dimitrov also out already, from the perennial underachiever to a journeyman. Mad to think he took Nadal to 5 sets here a few years ago.

saivet

Dimitrov also out already, from the perennial underachiever to a journeyman. Mad to think he took Nadal to 5 sets here a few years ago.
I think the most bizarre thing about Dimitrov's loss was that it was to Paire. Assuming Medvedev can see off Kyrgios he'll have Van de Zandschulp next and either Cressy or O'Connell in R4 to make the QFs. His draw on paper was nice but think the way things are going he has to be such a strong favourite.

wr8_utd

:'(
Murray out.

Was a good effort.

The man has his moments. He dumped Federer out of the USO as well.
I think the most bizarre thing about Dimitrov's loss was that it was to Paire. Assuming Medvedev can see off Kyrgios he'll have Van de Zandschulp next and either Cressy or O'Connell in R4 to make the QFs. His draw on paper was nice but think the way things are going he has to be such a strong favourite.
This might actually be a difficult game gives his unorthodox style of play and he's been in form pre AO.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Can't see any way that Raducanu can survive this with no forehand. What a shame

saivet

This might actually be a difficult game gives his unorthodox style of play and he's been in form pre AO.
I think you're right about Cressy causing him a bit of trouble as I don't think Medvedev likes playing against the serve and volley play but Cressy seems to serve on volley on every singly service point so would expect him to figure his way out of it even if he has some early trouble.

saivet

Krygios takes the third set...will switch back to Raducanu. Been a difficult morning multitasking on tennis and work!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Raducanu out - did she have an injury? Just watched a bit of the last set and the majority of her forehand strikes were weak undercut hits.

RORY65

Raducanu out - did she have an injury? Just watched a bit of the last set and the majority of her forehand strikes were weak undercut hits.
She had a blister so was slicing the forehand for most of the match and it obviously took the edge off her serve but Kovinic still did well to get through.

Also can people stop shouting "siu" on Rod Laver? It's kind of cringy when it happens at Old Trafford but at least it makes sense.

ZupZup

Yeah, she had blisters on her hand... she was struggling with it from the first set but did very well to make it as close as she did.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
She had a blister so was slicing the forehand for most of the match and it obviously took the edge off her serve but Kovinic still did well to get through.

Also can people stop shouting "siu" on Rod Laver? It's kind of cringy when it happens at Old Trafford but at least it makes sense.
Yeah, she had blisters on her hand... she was struggling with it from the first set but did very well to make it as close as she did.
Cheers! Obviously going out isn't great but maybe under these circumstances not the worst thing for her, also takes a bit of hype pressure off her for the next tournaments.

Kyrgios played that final set in true Kyrgios fashion, bit annoying that it didn't go to 5 but Medvedev was clearly the better player.

slyadams

He remains the best value in tennis.
Crowd: Booooooooo
Courier: I think they're saying Siuu
Crowd: Boooooooooooooo
Courier: Its a soccer thing, they're saying Siuu
Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Courier: When Ronaldo scores you see, they say Siuu
Crowd: Now listen Jim, just feck off OK

The Firestarter

Crowd: Booooooooo
Courier: I think they're saying Siuu