Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
I saw Murray 3-0 up in the final set and I come back now and it's 4-4? What is he upto!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I saw Murray 3-0 up in the final set and I come back now and it's 4-4? What is he upto!
He never makes it easy does he?
:lol: I missed the first two points, came back just as we won the third and was like "what?"

Glad I was wrong, though! I thought the 5th set would be too much for him considering how much defending and running he had to do throughout the game.

awesome to see him playing at a level like this. Wish he had gave the people booing him during the interview the bird :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
:lol: I missed the first two points, came back just as we won the third and was like "what?"

Glad I was wrong, though! I thought the 5th set would be too much for him considering how much defending and running he had to do throughout the game.

awesome to see him playing at a level like this. Wish he had gave the people booing him during the interview the bird :lol:
Unfortunately I didn’t catch it, what channel is the it on? Eurosport?

Hopefully he has some rest time now and can come back strong.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Unfortunately I didn’t catch it, what channel is the it on? Eurosport?

Hopefully he has some rest time now and can come back strong.
Yeah! It's also on discovery sport on Amazon Prime if you have that.

Berbasbullet

I’m sad to report the fans weren’t booing Murray but apparently Siuuuing Murray which is a very very strange thing to happen.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought they were siuuuing as well at first, honestly :lol:

apparently karatsev was getting them during his match, too. Maybe Novaxx Djocovid fans are on the loose.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Murray should be beating him and while I expect him to get a win, I can also see him getting embroiled in a fairly long physical battle.
I was browsing a tennis forum and had a look at what they were saying about Murray. I agree with someone who criticised his lack of winners, and said he should play more aggressive; citing his volleys as a weapon.

Past two games I've seen of his these past few days, when he's down and needs a point, he does switch on the aggression, and he's soooo much better when he does.

Berbasbullet

I was browsing a tennis forum and had a look at what they were saying about Murray. I agree with someone who criticised his lack of winners, and said he should play more aggressive; citing his volleys as a weapon.

Past two games I've seen of his these past few days, when he's down and needs a point, he does switch on the aggression, and he's soooo much better when he does.
I agree with this, he obviously has a phenomenal defence, but he does need to come forward more and dictate, and surely it’s in his best interest given his condition?

saivet

Scheduling at tournaments, particularly those with night session will continue to baffle me. Depending where you are in the world it may work in your favour but too often we're getting matches at the Australian Open and/or US Open starting at silly times like 10pm. It's approach 10pm in Melbourne yet we're waiting for Mussetti vs De Minaur to finish (should be over soon) before we get to see Raducanu vs Stephens.

No idea what transport is like in Melbourne but must be a bit of a pain, especially if the final match is a fairly long one.

slyadams

I get that Murray loves to compete, but its so strange to see a former world number 1 and multiple slam winner coming back from an injury and struggling to perform to anything approaching his previous best and basically becoming a bit of a tour journeyman. Can anyone think of an example of another sportsperson doing such a thing?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Raducanu vs Stephens starting in a few minutes… really intriguing match and two similar players, albeit Stephens is a seasoned pro who went on finding marginal glory after her 2017 US Open win… still a good player in the circuit, though.

saivet

It sounds like booing and that's what Murray thought but it was some fans doing Ronaldo's celebration screaming siuu. Pretty weird thing to be shouting all the time.

saivet

Medvedev vs Kyrgios in R2. I'd expect Medvedev to win comfortably provided he doesn't get rattled (which is entirely possible. Interestingly the head to head is 2-0 in favour or Kyrgios, though those two wins were in 2019, prior to him making the US Open final.

choccy77

The problem with sport thesedays and something that has been discussed about our own young players also on here......

They just said on TV that Emma Raducanu has received £35m in endorsements in the last year.

That's an obscene amount of money for an 18yr old to earn and considering she has won only 1 event, with that much money being thrown at her, where is the motivation to improve and do better, if she already has everything handed ro her already.

Same can be said about the United players and the crazy wages and the lack of motivation they seem to display on the pitch, knowing they are going to be paid on and off the pitch no matter if their performance is bad.

It's a crazy world.

saivet

Raducanu 5-0 up in less than 15 minutes. We weren't sure what we would get from Stephens but early signs are undercooked arriving to Australia late and getting married a couple of weeks ago.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Raducanu 5-0 up in less than 15 minutes. We weren't sure what we would get from Stephens but early signs are undercooked arriving to Australia late and getting married a couple of weeks ago.
Hmmm... Marrying Jozy Altidore and now she can barely hit a ball...

wr8_utd

I get that Murray loves to compete, but its so strange to see a former world number 1 and multiple slam winner coming back from an injury and struggling to perform to anything approaching his previous best and basically becoming a bit of a tour journeyman. Can anyone think of an example of another sportsperson doing such a thing?
It's a pity his injury wasn't even a minor one. It must be close to impossible to truly compete with a metal hip.

wr8_utd

Medvedev vs Kyrgios in R2. I'd expect Medvedev to win comfortably provided he doesn't get rattled (which is entirely possible. Interestingly the head to head is 2-0 in favour or Kyrgios, though those two wins were in 2019, prior to him making the US Open final.
Given Nick is only usually inspired vs the Top players (or rather the Big 3), this might be a competitive and fun match.

slyadams

It's a pity his injury wasn't even a minor one. It must be close to impossible to truly compete with a metal hip.
Right. It's a little bit like when Tiger came back and at times he could barely keep the ball in play. But at times he was always a bit like that so you knew there was a chance and he ended up winning the Masters again. I don't see Murray doing that, so its just very strange seeing him out there basically as an also ran most of the time. There must be something driving him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
For some reason Raducanu rubs me the wrong way. I don't watch women's tennis but, I'm petty, so I hope she loses anyway.

wr8_utd

Right. It's a little bit like when Tiger came back and at times he could barely keep the ball in play. But at times he was always a bit like that so you knew there was a chance and he ended up winning the Masters again. I don't see Murray doing that, so its just very strange seeing him out there basically as an also ran most of the time. There must be something driving him.
I just think he probably wanted to go out on his own terms and not because an injury forced him out. And given the time he spent off court and the fact that he sees people like Federer playing even at 40, maybe made him want to continue to play even if he's not the most competitive.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Good win for Raducanu - if she'd gone through without Stephens ever showing up it would have done nothing for her. Recovering in the third set is a big deal.
Came here to post that, her first 3-set match so it's nice to get that out of the way early in the tournament and be confident in yourself that you can win games like these as well.

Really hoping she does well in Australia.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Came here to post that, her first 3-set match so it's nice to get that out of the way early in the tournament and be confident in yourself that you can win games like these as well.

Really hoping she does well in Australia.
Me too - I love watching her. She's a real throwback player in regards to the women's game, and is super tough. To think what she has achieved since her Wimbledon exit is beyond belief.

Don't think she'll win it, but if she can get to week 2 following her build up to the competition, she can leave with her head held high.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Given his horrific injury problems he just seems delighted that he can be back competing at a decent level. It's like you think he should just jack it in if his chances of winning a major are very low now, whereas he seems to be loving playing in front of crowds.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Given her meteoric rise and new celeb status in the anglosphere, Raducanu really needs a full year on the circuit to benchmark her median level (top 50, top 20, top 5), see is she truly likes the often unglamorous grind and make a plan for the next 3-5 years as a professional tennis player.

At a minimum, bag a couple more grand slams along the way and she is sorted for life, free to pursue whatever she likes. Again, Stephens is a good sport: 2017 US Open winner, 2017 Federation Cup winner, 2018 Roland Garros finalist… then nothing relevant to sustain her hype, like so many other girls in the recent years.

Dan_F

A bit harsh in your assessment, he’s had some decent matches since coming back, however he’ll have a few problems getting much further than this now.

He’s always been a defensive player and doesn’t have the ability of a Federer to hit the kind of winners that older players tend to rely on. Really it’s incredible that he’s continuing to play at this level given the way he grinds it out. As others said previously, I’d love to see him just go all out sometimes.

His seeding/ranking will also mean he will continually get tough draws early on, such as Tsitsipas in the US Open last year and either go out or at least struggle in 5 sets and wear himself out. He’ll need a bit of luck to progress deeper.

Fts 74

Murray is just enjoying playing again no one can begrudge him that after what he's been through.

He says himself he way he plays probably means it could all end tomorrow but he is the ultimate competitor he absolutely loves it.

Even in his prime he had a habit of making it hard for himself.

I love watching him play, his matches are rarely boring.

Doracle

He’s playing at or around top 20/30 level so, whilst not anywhere near his peak, he’s still pretty good. He’s said he’d quite like to reach 50 career titles and, whilst he’s not going to win another slam, if he stays fit for the next year or so, a few more 250/500 titles isn’t beyond his current level, is that might be a realistic goal.

Im sure if he was getting destroyed every week he’d just retire. However, it generally still takes a pretty good player to beat him in tough matches and it’s great to still see him playing. There’s less of the wow factor watching him now but his matches still often have incredible levels of drama.

baskinginthesun

One of the commentators on his match yesterday talked about this. Basically, he is still young enough to compete at this level and that competitiveness in him is all he's known for the last 20 years of his life. That's what drives him. Plus, before his injury he wasn't in a place or ready to retire. Im sure he's got it figured out now but, something else needs to take over from the sheer competitiveness of grand slam tennis to keep him busy in retirement so he doesn't get bored. Tbf, I'm sure this is what all major sports persons go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.