g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Alcarez vs Berrettini is 5-5 in the 5th set, so a potential final set tie break to watch

Amir

So, Berrettini won. His first serve served him well in the super tie break and Alcaraz made a few errors in the final points. But what a talent. If he stays fit he's gonna be big.

Meanwhile, Osaka is out. Lost to a very good Anisimova. Be interesting to see her against Barty, who isn't great when being pushed in the Australian Open (and hasn't been so far this year).

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just reading that Federer will be able to do some practice sets soon. Would love to see him back but, at his age, and all the surgeries he's had already, you just have to believe he knows what he's doing.

I wonder if he'll not bother with the hard and clay courts and stick to grass now.

wr8_utd

:'(
So, Berrettini won. His first serve served him well in the super tie break and Alcaraz made a few errors in the final points. But what a talent. If he stays fit he's gonna be big.

Meanwhile, Osaka is out. Lost to a very good Anisimova. Be interesting to see her against Barty, who isn't great when being pushed in the Australian Open (and hasn't been so far this year).
He really got nervy in the TB. Shanks, DF, terrible errors.

MattofManchester

Nadal definitely improving with every round.
This is a marked level up from his second round.

Still think he lacks some consistency over extended periods of time.

Expect he'll beat Karatsev without much difficulty.

If he can beat Zverev, I'd make him favourite.

saivet

Mannarino takes the first set against Karatsev, though Karatsev dropped the opening set in his previous two matches before going on to win.

saivet

Nadal definitely improving with every round.
This is a marked level up from his second round.

Still think he lacks some consistency over extended periods of time.

Expect he'll beat Karatsev without much difficulty.

If he can beat Zverev, I'd make him favourite.
I think as long as Medvedev is in the draw he'll still be the favourite.

MattofManchester

Nadal lost it a bit. Actually, a lot.

Played passive the entire set. And is now just lobbing the ball for Kachanov to smash it.

Baffling. And frustrating.

wr8_utd

Nadal lost it a bit. Actually, a lot.

Played passive the entire set. And is now just lobbing the ball for Kachanov to smash it.

Baffling. And frustrating.
This is standard Rafa Nadal in the last few years when he has to close out a match. Either he gets comfortable or complacent or just nervy but he plays some ridiculously bad third sets.

MattofManchester

This is standard Rafa Nadal in the last few years when he has to close out a match. Either he gets comfortable or complacent or just nervy but he plays some ridiculously bad third sets.
This is his own fault though.

Start of the third set, he reverts back to being ridiculously far behind the baseline, returning short and allowing Kachanov to control.

How can he be so good but also so stubborn at the same time?

wr8_utd

This is his own fault though.

Start of the third set, he reverts back to being ridiculously far behind the baseline, returning short and allowing Kachanov to control.

How can he be so good but also so stubborn at the same time?
I honestly don't know if it's just complacency or confidence issues because it makes no sense anymore. When he's in real trouble, then he'll play aggressive and proactive tennis again. There are times it feels like he gives away sets just to get more time on court because some of his bizarre third sets just don't make sense.

MattofManchester

I honestly don't know if it's just complacency or confidence issues because it makes no sense anymore. When he's in real trouble, then he'll play aggressive and proactive tennis again. There are times it feels like he gives away sets just to get more time on court because some of his bizarre third sets just don't make sense.
Start of the fourth set, stands up on the baseline. Breaks immediately.

I give up.

Seems to be a mental thing, rather than physical.
He just seems to lose all concentration.

saivet

Good reaction from Rafa in the 4th set. I think it will actually do him so good to have been tested today, albeit only for one set.

He'll play Mannarino or Karatsev in the next round. I've not been watching it but they've been playing over 2 hours and it's only the start of the third set having split the previous two. Hoping for Mannarino to get through it but Nadal should be able to deal with Karatsev who has had a lot of court time this tournament following from his title he won last week.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Apart from needlessly dropping the 3rd set, nice stuff from Rafa. Vamos!

saivet

3.5 hours on the clock and Mannarino takes a 2-1 lead over Karatsev, sounds like a bit of a marathon.

saivet

Mannarino took the 3rd. Long way back for Karatsev here, Nadal’s life got a lot easier.
Definitely. Even if Karatsev can come through this, it will likely be over 4 hours for him today. His previous match wasn't long but his first round match was 4hr 52 mins!! All this in addition to his Sydney title he won a week before the AO.

wr8_utd

If Nadal makes it past the next match, he's got Shapovalov or Zverev in the QF. Win against Zverev and I think he can take the title also.

InfiniteBoredom

If Nadal makes it past the next match, he's got Shapovalov or Zverev in the QF. Win against Zverev and I think he can take the title also.
Tsitsipas or Medvedev are both very tough opponent on this surface, and mentally I rate them as better than Zverev.

No Novaxx is still a golden chance for him though, regardless of form, Thiem could be back raring to go as well by the time of the French so he should try to make the most of this opportunity.

saivet

This cup has Medvedev smug head written all over it honestly.
Had a look at his draw and unsurprisingly, he's got a winning head to head against everyone he's played against...except RBA where he is 0-3, all on outdoor hardcourts too. That being said I don't think RBA will make it to the SF to play him anyway.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Had a look at his draw and unsurprisingly, he's got a winning head to head against everyone he's played against...except RBA where he is 0-3, all on outdoor hardcourts too. That being said I don't think RBA will make it to the SF to play him anyway.
Maybe Botic can stop him this time :wenger:

I don't mind though, Medvedev is my favoriete player on the tour I think. Such a magnificent cnut.

massi83

Why are they booing him? Why are tennis crowds such weapons? He should do a Mendelev (?).

Last year it was the Serena farce. US open crowds making the others look like angels.
Relieved that Mendelev won. Djokovic will cross Federer and Nadal in terms of GS soon enough (probably AUS open) but A) the later the better and B) thank feck for some real quality in the men's game outsiders the big 3. About time. Mendelev is the only one who genuinely looks like he truly belongs (even before this). Hopefully that young Spanish kid is the next to explode.
Hope Mendelev thrashes him again.
:lol: I often don't like try hard characters but it's actually pretty cool how honest Mendelev is
I would like to hear his honest opinion about these posts :wenger:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The only thing longer and more boring than the Djokovic episode has to be the open itself. Does it always go on this long?

saivet

The only thing longer and more boring than the Djokovic episode has to be the open itself. Does it always go on this long?
Yeah always two weeks. I think an issue is that the more stacked half of the mens draw and the more stacked draw of the women's have been scheduled for the same day which made me look at today's schedule and not bother getting up to watch any of it.

Yesterday's R3 matches were more interesting on paper and in reality than today from what I've heard anyway.

Yagami

Good post resistant
What a set. What a tie break. What play from Nadal to win it.

saivet

Woke up and thought to watch the end of the first set at 5-5 lasted so fecking long and now I can't get back to sleep.

Double break in the 2nd for Nadal and looks like Mannarino is struggling physically. Possibly the impact of a marathon match a few days ago and a gruelling first set.

Shapo a set and a break up against Zverev interestingly enough.

Hopefully I'm back up for Barty - Anisimova :D

Status
Not open for further replies.