Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Actually the SF will likely be another day match. They've got both SFs on Friday and given his half of the draw played first, I imagine they'll put his SF on in the day session with the other SF the night session.
Wow 5 out of 6 matches in the day is rough. Also going to go into the final (if he makes it) without having played in the evening conditions.

wr8_utd

He will clinch the title.
Play like how he did today and he's not going to beat Berretini or Medvedev. Needs to cut out the mental lapses and maintain his level for an entire match which is something he has not done well in 2 years now.

saivet

Wow 5 out of 6 matches in the day is rough. Also going to go into the final (if he makes it) without having played in the evening conditions.
Yeah, it would only be the Khachanov match he's played at night, which I think is where he produced his highest level of tennis this tournament. He did play a few night matches in the Melbourne ATP 250 on RLA but that was a couple of weeks ago now.

That being said, I'd be inclined to think that he's been requesting to play in the day as he generally prefers day matches over night ones. The organisers would probably be happy with it too as they've been able to put Barty as the headline player in the night sessions and have Nadal headlining the day session.

MattofManchester

Actually the SF will likely be another day match. They've got both SFs on Friday and given his half of the draw played first, I imagine they'll put his SF on in the day session with the other SF the night session.
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about this too much going for the SF. Berrettini has too many weaknesses for Rafa to exploit and Monfils will have the same issues as Nadal, despite his athleticism.
Shapovalov on his day is an extraordinary hitter off both wings with great athleticism, which made him a harder matchup.

wr8_utd

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about this too much going for the SF. Berrettini has too many weaknesses for Rafa to exploit and Monfils will have the same issues as Nadal, despite his athleticism.
Shapovalov on his day is an extraordinary hitter off both wings with great athleticism, which made him a harder matchup.
Yeah, Berretini has a fairly weak backhand but the man is very tough mentally. He's got one of the highest BP saving rate on tour so it'll still be a tough match. Shapov can be extraordinary at times but you just know he's got a lot of errors in him when it really matters.

saivet

Looks as though it will be Berrettini in the SF for Nadal and auite a similar path to his US Open title in 2019. Monfils would have been the preferred opponent and while Berrettini is capable of beating Nadal, you'd have to make Nadal the favourite to make the final. Serve well and target his backhand will be the way to go.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Monfils vs Rafa would be a great match. Never heard of anyone who doesn't love Monfils. Such a likable dude.

InfiniteBoredom

Huge for Berettini to get that break, stemmed the bleeding and if he consolidates here should go on to win.

Nadal loving this either way though.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Berrettini booked his place in a Slam SF again but he is not ruthless enough yet to convert a higher rate of crunch time opportunities, which is the most glaring weakness against super top players like Djokovic and Nadal. As for Shapo lamenting Nadal being allowed a lot of time between points, he is right of course… but that’s life… heritage. :wenger:

wr8_utd

Rafa getting beefed on about his time between points as per the usuals.
Berrettini booked his place in a Slam SF again but he is not ruthless enough yet to convert a higher rate of crunch time opportunities, which is the most glaring weakness against super top players like Djokovic and Nadal. As for Shapo lamenting Nadal being allowed a lot of time between points, he is right of course… but that’s life… heritage. :wenger:
Funny thing is, both Shapo and Nadal above the allowed time so if he's complaining about Nadal, he should look at himself as well. Shapo was at an average of 29 seconds between points while Rafa was at 31.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Funny thing is, both Shapo and Nadal above the allowed time so if he's complaining about Nadal, he should look at himself as well. Shapo was at an average of 29 seconds between points while Rafa was at 31.
Are you kidding me or yourself? Of course, Nadal takes his fecking time when it matters the most… if heritage does not suit you as a term, let’s call it gamesmanship… which worked well again, and destabilised his opponent.

However, let’s move on and see what happens tonight… Sinner vs Tsitsipas is a great match, on paper! As for the ladies, Swiatek seems a big stage player and with a possible, mouthwatering final against in-form again Barty in sight.

wr8_utd

Are you kidding me or yourself? Of course, Nadal takes his fecking time when it matters the most… if heritage does not suit you as a term, let’s call it gamesmanship… which worked well again, and destabilised his opponent.

However, let’s move on and see what happens tonight… Sinner vs Tsitsipas is a great match, on paper! As for the ladies, Swiatek seems a big stage player and with a possible, mouthwatering final against in-form again Barty in sight.
He does but it's a bit rich coming from Shapovalov when he himself appears to have been above the limit. They both went over the allotted time and only one dealt with it without letting it affect them.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Cheater? In what way?
Wasn’t there this thing with Nadal that he shouldn’t have been allowed into the country because it hasn’t been at least 14 days since there was a first positive result of a PCR test? But he entered the country after 10 days?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
He's a Novak fan so he'll probably accuse Rafa of timewasting or faking injuries while completely ignoring the bazillion times Novak pretends to be injured or close to pulling out and then goes on to miraculously rediscover his energy and form.
Nah, time wasting at serves doesn’t bother me at all, I don’t know why everybody gets so worked up with that.

RORY65

Wasn’t there this thing with Nadal that he shouldn’t have been allowed into the country because it hasn’t been at least 14 days since there was a first positive result of a PCR test? But he entered the country after 10 days?
I think that was irrelevant because he tested negative before he flew, it seems that was a misunderstanding of a subsection of a rule that didn't apply in this case (i.e. if he had still been testing positive when he flew he would have had to have first tested positive more than 14 days before).

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Fair enough. Deleted my comment after you replied to the initial post. Not that I agree with it.
I wasn’t even aware it was an issue until they introduced the 24 seconds regulation, which I always thought was stupid. Different players prepare for serves in different ways, and it’s not really many top players that would take ages before serving anyway, like Nadal with his whole routine, or Djokovic with his endless ball tipping thing.‍♂

wr8_utd

I wasn’t even aware it was an issue until they introduced the 24 seconds regulation, which I always thought was stupid. Different players prepare for serves in different ways, and it’s not really many top players that would take ages before serving anyway, like Nadal with his whole routine, or Djokovic with his endless ball tipping thing.‍♂
I can understand that it would be annoying to an opponent or those watching on TV but it really is not the big deal people make it out to be.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I think that was irrelevant because he tested negative before he flew, it seems that was a misunderstanding of a subsection of a rule that didn't apply in this case (i.e. if he had still been testing positive when he flew he would have had to have first tested positive more than 14 days before).
How do we know Nadal tested negative before boarding? Have the test results been published?

RORY65

How do we know Nadal tested negative before boarding? Have the test results been published?
“The first four days were terrible, I couldn’t move. I had awful joint pain, I was either on the sofa or in bed, unable to move. I had a high fever. That was the first four days. Then I was very tired for three days. Around the eighth day, as I have a bike at home, I started to do half an hour very lightly in order to start working. Then I had a negative [test] and I was able to train the odd day at home. I decided to leave for Australia because I understood that it was best for me mentally and in terms of my tennis.”

I'm not aware of the results being made public but presumably his own words align with the information that was provided to the Australian authorities although given what a mess they made of the situation there's definitely a lack of clarity.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
“The first four days were terrible, I couldn’t move. I had awful joint pain, I was either on the sofa or in bed, unable to move. I had a high fever. That was the first four days. Then I was very tired for three days. Around the eighth day, as I have a bike at home, I started to do half an hour very lightly in order to start working. Then I had a negative [test] and I was able to train the odd day at home. I decided to leave for Australia because I understood that it was best for me mentally and in terms of my tennis.”

I'm not aware of the results being made public but presumably his own words align with the information that was provided to the Australian authorities although given what a mess they made of the situation there's definitely a lack of clarity.
Yes. I think in the spirit of fairness Nadal’s negative test should have been published and verified. If there was no test but he still travelled to Australia, this would have been against the law and he should have been deported. Smells of corruption if he wasn’t required to present evidence and we’re simply expected to take Nadal’s word for it.

RORY65

Yes. I think in the spirit of fairness Nadal’s negative test should have been published and verified. If there was no test but he still travelled to Australia, this would have been against the law and he should have been deported. Smells of corruption if he wasn’t required to present evidence and we’re simply expected to take Nadal’s word for it.
I'm sure he would have had to present evidence to the relevant authorities of a negative test, it's just that that evidence hasn't been made available to the public which it would have been helpful if it had been given everything else that has happened.

InfiniteBoredom

I'm sure he would have had to present evidence to the relevant authorities of a negative test, it's just that that evidence hasn't been made available to the public which it would have been helpful if it had been given everything else that has happened.
He had no obligation to do that, as far as the guy and Australian authority are concerned, he is double vaxxed and presented a negative test at the time of entry, fully complying with the rules in place.

Novaxx’s own folly is not an excuse to put pressure on other players for disclosing their own documentation when they have done nothing wrong, and his fans being a bunch of fannies crying foul just show how pathetic they are.

wr8_utd

Why? He is under no obligation to do that and his proof of vaccination as well as his PCR report would have been assessed by the authorities. Novak's test details were only published because he was involved in a legal battle which mandated documents to be uploaded online. Nadal or any other player is under no such compulsion to publish their results. Also, unlike Novak, Rafa also immediately announced on social media that he had tested positive and was isolating.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Everyone entering Australia at that time had to provide a certified negative PCR test taken within 72 hrs of departure to customs officials.

From the 23rd a certified negative RAT is also ok but not a lateral flow rest.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Tsitsipas with no issues here whatsoever, interesting.

saivet

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him this tournament but credit to him for making the SFs. I wasn't convinced he'd do that well this tournament coming off the back of elbow surgery but this has been a very good tournament for him regardless of what happens next.

I thought Sinner would trouble him, especially given that Fritz should have beat him in the previous round.

Brophs

The One and Only
Didn’t see the match but Sinner is a bloody good player. Surprised to see him have a comfortable win in straight sets.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah I thought Sinner would at least take a set. Sets up a fun grudge match in the semis. Great chance to get his first slam.

Status
Not open for further replies.