Tennis 2023

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I Guess the motivation post Laver CUP for north American tennis players didn't last long. It is vital for tennis to have at least one top US tennis player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Any chance they might start taking football / soccer seriously instead?
The people involved in it take it seriously, but it's really a cultural issue. The average American don't care about Soccer as they care about American football, Ice Hockey, Basketball ir baseball. Even NCAA games probably generate more interest than MLS ( March Madness has a lot of viewers)

saivet

Rumours that Nadal should play in Rome and RG which is good news. Interested to see how he does in Rome, his body and his form. I think if Nadal loses to an inform/good player in at least one or two competitive sets then he should be in the mix at RG. Seems crazy to suggest he's only in the mix and not a strong favourite at RG but this injury has just kept him out for so long.

On the ladies side, Swiatek is an overwhelming favourite and you'd have to say Alcaraz is the favorite on the men's side but depending on the form/fitness of Nadal and Djokovic I don't think we can call Alcaraz a sure bet.

Nadal's ranking may also mean he could play Djokovic or Alcaraz in R4 and if he doesn't do well in Rome and others below him have a good tournament maybe R3 at RG.

Brophs

The One and Only
Just dropping in to post my annual there's-not-a-player-whose-story-I-believe-less-than-Karatsev's post.

saivet

No Nadal in Rome. Sounds as though Djokovic should play in Rome but not confirmed yet.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Alcaraz probably won't win Rome with just 3 days rest after Madrid and a long travel.

wr8_utd

:'(
Nadal about to hold his press conference in a bit. He's most likely to announce his withdrawal from RG at the very least. Some rumors even swirling he might completely withdraw from the rest of the year. This is starting to feel like Federers end.

saivet

Nadal about to hold his press conference in a bit. He's most likely to announce his withdrawal from RG at the very least. Some rumors even swirling he might completely withdraw from the rest of the year. This is starting to feel like Federers end.
It does very much feel like the beginning of the inevitable end. He's had the problem with the foot, abdominal tear and now a hip injury, three pretty serious and different injuries in a year. Heard on the Tennis Podcast that he's only won 5 matches since beating Fritz and withdrawing from the Wimbledon SF last year.

I think a big goal for him will be the Olympics next year in Paris, but let's see how his body holds up. I'm sure Federer wanted to make a final return to Wimbledon but it never happened for him.

Jev

Rune is good but fecking hell, such an unlikeable wanker.
He's a very nice, humble guy off-court, just a sore loser who occasionally turns into a monster on the court. He'll learn to control it, like Federer did, he's already gotten a lot better.

Brophs

The One and Only
Guess it’s just for a bit of support, but maybe eyes emoji?

saivet

Guess it’s just for a bit of support, but maybe eyes emoji?
I suppose even in a best case scenario where isn't quite ready to compete at RG and is back for the grass season, missing RG for the first time since 2004 is a pretty huge deal for him. Clutching at straws but hoping things aren't too bad...

saivet

Pretty much confirmed that he's planning to have a retirement tour next year. Aiming to return at the Davis Cup later this year (November).

Brophs

The One and Only
Hopefully he’ll get Roger to tog out one last time and spend 4 hours peppering his backhand with high-bouncing forehands.

Jev

Pretty much confirmed that he's planning to have a retirement tour next year. Aiming to return at the Davis Cup later this year (November).
Honestly, would he even get in the team ahead of Alcaraz, Busta, Agut and Davidovich Fokina?

Sad news this, felt almost like a retirement announcement.

wr8_utd

:'(
Went as expected. I think he'll play RG, Wimbledon and the Olympics and then retire next year. He's won his last Slam.

saivet

Honestly, would he even get in the team ahead of Alcaraz, Busta, Agut and Davidovich Fokina?

Sad news this, felt almost like a retirement announcement.
Can't recall PCB or RBA doing much of late to be honest and Nadal could probably be a doubles option in any case.

Brophs

The One and Only
Thread on Halep’s suspension. I’d agree with Ben Rothenberg. Taking a fight like this to social media wouldn’t be my idea of a well thought out plan.

saivet

Thought clay Medvedev might have arrived. Currently down a break in the 5th set to a guy I've never heard of before. From the bits of seen, Seyboth-Wild has played pretty well though.

saivet

Azarenka vs Andreescu was a great match, bit of a shame it was a R1 match.

ScholesyTheWise

Not tennis, but close enough. Incredible rally…

Wow. very very special.

I think people who never tried to play Badminton (sp?) can't appreciate how difficult this sport is.

I play tennis and table tennis from a very young age and to quite decent levels;
but, I found the transition to badminton - when I lived in China for a bit - to be extremely hard.

saivet

Omg, I fecking love Monfils.

Through all the injuries and struggles he's been through lately, that was beautiful to see. Amazing!

saivet

Djokovic in a bit of a tussle with Fuscovics, Djokovic was 5-2 up in the opening set but was struggling to hold every service game.

Djokovic will have to hope the windy conditions calm down a bit. Don't expect Fuscovics to keep this up but he's a solid player and a tough R2 opponent.