Tennis 2023

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The Sinner-Alcaraz SF was a real treat. I hope Sinner beats Medvedev in the final to win his first 'big title', which I also hope would then act as a springboard to grand slam success.

It will be interesting to see how the Alcaraz-Sinner h2h develops.

From Alcaraz's point of view, a title in Buenos Aires, a final in Rio, a title in Indian Wells and semi-final in Miami is an very strong start to the season, and I hope he enjoys a successful European clay court season.

I still wouldn't be at all surprised if Nadal and Djokovic win the next 2 grand slams - despite Nadal's injury troubles he has only lost 3 best of 5 set matches on clay in his entire career (2 of which were against Djokovic), and grass is understandably the surface with the weakest competition - but I really don't want that to happen.
Nadal is done, I fear… Djokovic otoh, as long as his body keeps up at +35yo (the cliff is there, as we are seeing from many other top level sports)… However, if you were that same poster lamenting the huuuge gap between the gods generation and the Medvedev/Zverev/Tsitsi/Berrettini one, the incoming kids will possibly make you happier!?

Skills

Snitch
Djokovic will win Roland Garros and Wimbledon again.

US Open to Alcaraz or Sinner. Changing of the guard in 2024 when the AO is won now by someone other than Djokovic

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Still have to eat more pastasciutta that Sinner kid, then… off to go with the clay season now!

saivet

I think the clay court swing on the ATP side is due to be very interesting. Assuming they are all fit you'd have to think that it will be either Nadal, Djokovic or Alcaraz that will win RG.

I'd be surprised if it isn't one of those three but I think there are a number of players that could make things interesting if fit and in form. Tsitsipas, FAA, Sinner and maybe Zverev are ones to look out for.

I think on the WTA side things are more clear cut with Swiatek being the huge favorite but Wimbledon is more open on the WTA side compared to the ATP.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Medvedev's 19 career titles have come at 19 different tournaments in 19 different cities, which is an interesting stat. Only 1 of those titles (Mallorca in 2021) was won away from hard courts, and it will be interesting to see if he can improve on clay and grass this season.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Nadal is done, I fear… Djokovic otoh, as long as his body keeps up at +35yo (the cliff is there, as we are seeing from many other top level sports)… However, if you were that same poster lamenting the huuuge gap between the gods generation and the Medvedev/Zverev/Tsitsi/Berrettini one, the incoming kids will possibly make you happier!?
Most of my criticism was aimed at the generation / generations of players born in the early 90s (i.e. those born around the time of Dmitrov) - with Thiem a notable exception, they were basically a black hole in the sport, that in addition to not sufficiently challenging the big 3 took an eternity to overtake the likes of Ferrer and Berdych (basically needing to wait until they physically declined). The number of 'big' titles at masters series level or above, won by players born between 1989-1995 is shockingly low. While I have huge respect for all of the big 3 and their achievements, they greatly benefited from the general weakness of the early 90s (or 1989-1995) born players. It’s pretty crazy that there’s a realistic chance that Djokovic could win as many grand slams in his 30s as in his 20s.

I had a lot more respect for the Medvedev / Zverev / Tsitsipas generation who did far better in terms of winning big titles and challenging the big 3, but my problem with them is that I find them generally boring to watch, with them playing fairly bland 'academy style' tennis. On top of that while I find Medvedev to be an interesting and funny personality off the court (despite not finding him overly fun to watch), I find Zverev and Tsitsipas to be completely unlikeable people as well. Therefore I was never excited about them.

I was definitely happier with the early 00s born players - I already thought that Alcaraz was a lot of fun to watch and a breath of fresh air in late 2021 before he made his big breakthrough at Miami last year.

Last edited:

Godfather

Impressive by Medvedev. He's got such a weird technique for pretty much every shot but it works. Also he's just an immense athlete.

saivet

Nadal has withdrawn from Monte Carlo. He's been practicing for a while but not ready to return yet. Hopefully he can make his return in Barcelona and if not Madrid at the very latest.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Nadal has withdrawn from Monte Carlo. He's been practicing for a while but not ready to return yet. Hopefully he can make his return in Barcelona and if not Madrid at the very latest.
As RG is played in late May he still has more than time to prepare himself for that, which is probably his main focus. Curious to see how physically is Nadal atm.

saivet

As RG is played in late May he still has more than time to prepare himself for that, which is probably his main focus. Curious to see how physically is Nadal atm.
Yeah more than enough time but I think he would like to play at least 2 tournaments before. Just seen that Alcaraz has pulled out of Monte Carlo through injury too, hopefully not too serious.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Some nice games tommorrow:
Djokovic - Musetti, Hurkacz - Sinner, Medvedev-Zverev, Rublev - Khachanov, Rune - Berretini possibly.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Some nice games tommorrow:
Djokovic - Musetti, Hurkacz - Sinner, Medvedev-Zverev, Rublev - Khachanov, Rune - Berretini possibly.
Musetti knocking out Djokovic will be good for his morale, hopefully more ups than downs in the coming weeks.

EDIT: tasty QF vs Sinner tomorrow!

saivet

If Medvedev can get himself comfortable on clay I think he can make himself at least a serious contender at tournaments, rather than just another player in the draw. The fundamentals are there and he's had some good clay results in the past, just lacks consistency on the surface compared to others like Zverev and Tsitsipas who are a lot more comfortable with their movement and variety on the surface.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Musetti knocking out Djokovic will be good for his morale, hopefully more ups than downs in the coming weeks.

EDIT: tasty QF vs Sinner tomorrow!
Musetti made a very good game. Djokovic style might take a toll when he loses precision to pinpoint his defensive shots, most of it due to the opponent's strategy. Musetti is young and will win a GS in his career someday.

slyadams

Having watched the video over Novak's on court tantrum it makes me wonder why the umpire entertained him so much. She said what she and the linesman saw, why stand there for minutes pointing at the ground.

saivet

Nadal out of Barcelona and a doubt for Madrid. Rome is a month away now so if he doesn't play there that would be a massive worry.

Alcaraz expected to be back in Barcelona.

As things stand Djokovic has to be the favorite at RG but due to be an interesting clay season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Tsitsipas is trying to get the plane to Athens in time to celebrate the Holy Friday.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Nadal out of Barcelona and a doubt for Madrid. Rome is a month away now so if he doesn't play there that would be a massive worry.

Alcaraz expected to be back in Barcelona.

As things stand Djokovic has to be the favorite at RG but due to be an interesting clay season.
RG is vey demanding phisically and at Novax age each year gets heavier. He's still the favorite, though.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Would love Rune to get it done here, if nothing else for this absolutely sublime fit;

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Rune vs Sinner in a couple hours, the best we can have from the almost-there.

Jev

Rune vs Sinner in a couple hours, the best we can have from the almost-there.
And what a match it was. Rune looking very strong here on the clay after a disappointing hardcourt season. He's a strong outsider for Roland Garros.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Like both these guys, would prefer Rune win but hopefully a good match!

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
So… are we having about ten substantially legit contenders for the clay season and the main prize in Paris? Nice!

Godfather

Just watched the highlights of the Rublev Rune final and man that is some great tennis both played. I also have a soft spot for nutcases so I like both of them.

Godfather

You can never rule Djokovic out but if Alcaraz stays fit I see him as the favourite for RG.