g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Tennis 2023

TheLiverBird

There's so much goddamn pressure on Alcaraz it's actually quite absurd.... dudes getting (near) Federer levels of noise, and then the absurd negativity after than first set too, not needed. I guess it's easy to forget he's 20.
Tennis is SO desperate for a new male “great” that any young player that looks like they have potential literally has the world of Tennis thrown on their shoulders

Alcaraz has broke the mould though in that he is only 20 and Already has a GS under his belt, it’s how he now copes with this unrelenting pressure and expectation he will now carry for the rest of his career, he has too embrace it, and not fear it

wr8_utd

:'(
The point at 40-30 is my biggest issue with Carlos. The over the top aggression when its not needed. Djokovic is running back into position, he could have played the points, constructed it, gone for the corners and made the old man run but he chooses to pummel it down the middle of the court and ends up getting broken. I really don't know why his coaching team doesn't get him to calm down a bit at times.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ah, yes forgot about Stan. He did it twice too!
At this rate an unseeded 40 year old Stan in the first round is probably the best bet to stop the calendar slam than any of the other bums in the circuit.

saivet

The point at 40-30 is my biggest issue with Carlos. The over the top aggression when its not needed. Djokovic is running back into position, he could have played the points, constructed it, gone for the corners and made the old man run but he chooses to pummel it down the middle of the court and ends up getting broken. I really don't know why his coaching team doesn't get him to calm down a bit at times.
He is still really young and maturity will come in time. It also works against the majority of the field. Do agree and I think like we both said before the match he needs to play the percentages better against Djokovic as it's not all about highlight reels.

Jev

Djokovic taking the piss with that serve clock. The rules really should be changed, less time, a second serve clock and then start actually enforcing the rules. There's no reason why a player should bounce the ball 15 times before a serve.

wr8_utd

He is still really young and maturity will come in time. It also works against the majority of the field. Do agree and I think like we both said before the match he needs to play the percentages better against Djokovic as it's not all about highlight reels.
Yup and so far its going exactly how we expected it to. I have faith this is something he'll develop over the years.

Jev

And his antics towards the crowd are so childish. Such small dick energy from such a great player.

Bobski

Djokovic is just too clever and patient for Alcaraz, who has the shots but not yet the game management.

wr8_utd

Two games in a row when Carlos has been 40-30 up and gone for a shot that was unnecessary, hit it long, and then lost the game.

Jev

The man has gotten no love from the crowds in 15 years. I don't blame him.
He's a child. He doesn't understand that the crowd are simply hoping for a good match and therefore want Alcaraz to get some momentum going. He takes everything personally. It was the same with Sinner on Friday.

Zen

Two games in a row when Carlos has been 40-30 up and gone for a shot that was unnecessary, hit it long, and then lost the game.
Sorry but that was the absolute bang on shot.... it would of just continued otherwise until the same/similar space opened up for either of them.

wr8_utd

He's a child. He doesn't understand that the crowd are simply hoping for a good match and therefore want Alcaraz to get some momentum going. He takes everything personally.
I'd understand if this was an isolated incident but Novak has never gotten the love even when he's been the one who was an underdog vs Nadal and Federer. So again, I do understand why this frustration has built up over the years.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
He's a child. He doesn't understand that the crowd are simply hoping for a good match and therefore want Alcaraz to get some momentum going. He takes everything personally. It was the same with Sinner on Friday.
Yeah sure that's the reason. They consistently want him to lose for his entire career except at AO so why wouldn't he rile them up? They wouldn't even applaud for a great rally like that.

Zen

It's hard to win back the fans once you've disrespected them enough. He definitely had love at one time, just not Nadal-Federer levels. And he's realized it works to rattle his inexperienced opponents now, which is a little sad, but WINNING mentality!

Bole Top

Spanish players seem to rarely have a big serve. the last one was F. Lopez I think.

wr8_utd

Yeah sure that's the reason. They consistently want him to lose for his entire career except at AO so why wouldn't he rile them up? They wouldn't even applaud for a great rally like that.
Its also a bit sad the hate he gets from the fans given he's about the classiest guys even in defeat. Even at 40-40 he chose to applaud the volley from Carlos there.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's all show/psychology tbh. He needs to be the underdog in his own eyes to excel - it's how he surpassed Nadal and Fed. Now the battle he creates is between him and the crowd because there is zero contest against him and the current field.

Jev

Some great tennis in this set. Hopefully we can still get the game we were hoping for. Alcaraz is playing well but probably needs this set to believe.

wr8_utd

Carlos with another good start on a Novak service game. I don't know if the stats back it up but he seems to be doing better in the longer rallies.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Its also a bit sad the hate he gets from the fans given he's about the classiest guys even in defeat. Even at 40-40 he chose to applaud the volley from Carlos there.
They'll look past that because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Jev

It's all show/psychology tbh. He needs to be the underdog in his own eyes to excel - it's how he surpassed Nadal and Fed. Now the battle he creates is between him and the crowd because there is zero contest against him and the current field.
Absolutely, he likes to believe the whole world is against him and it clearly works for him mentally. It just makes him a bit of a tit.

wr8_utd

Missing a second serve return at 0-30 is poor there. Djoko was under serious pressure.