Tennis 2023

wr8_utd

:'(
6 of the top 8 in the QF's.... that's gotta be some kind of record. Even when the big 4 just made every QF for fun that was a rarity that I don't recall often.
Even more surprising given its grass where they're largely all crap :lol:
Sinner, Rune and Alcaraz all could have a decent chance. Rublev is not without chances either, but his chances are very small.
Alcaraz might get a set but that's about it, imo.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
is interest in Tennis at an all time low?
There are no interesting people in it any more , arguably feckin darts is getting more press these days

Jev

There are no interesting people in it any more , arguably feckin darts is getting more press these days
Not sure why it would be? We just got out of the best era in tennis history, the field is now broad and competitive with several generations competing closely. The most winning player of all time is still playing, we have got three new young prodigies all playing entertaining tennis, the quality is high and the sport has become much more pleasing on the eye than it was in the 90s/first half of the 00s. I think tennis is in a great place right now. I also don't understand why you think there are no interesting people, if anything I think there are more personalities than previously.

Last edited:

saivet

I think on the women's side, it's thriving. I think the coverage is somewhat linked to their current popularity and the country they are from. Swiatek, Rybakina and Sabalenka for example are three really great players but from a UK or even US perspective, they're not the stories the media is looking for.

I think Jabeur has a personality and story that cuts through a bit more.

saivet

Looking forward to Rublev v Nobo today, hope Andrey can cause a big upset.
Do you think he can? I'm not even sure Rublev believes he can compete. I'm struggling to see him winning a set and think he can only win the match if Djokovic is hurt, and hurt badly.

Bole Top

there will certainly be less service games where Djokovic can only look at the ball going past him. that alone should make it easier than against Hubert.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Do you think he can? I'm not even sure Rublev believes he can compete. I'm struggling to see him winning a set and think he can only win the match if Djokovic is hurt, and hurt badly.
The odds are against him of course but he has great resolve and is a nice bloke to boot.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Swiatek a little off form but saved the second set from 4-1 down in the tie break.

Just broken early in the 3rd! Will do very well to win from here.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Swiatek with a lot of really wild mishits off the frame etc.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I think so too, other than Novak or Alcarez, there's no one else I'm particularly keen on watching. Compare this to 10/12 years ago when you had the likes of roddick, Hewitt, Tsonga, Murray, Del potro on top of Novak, fed and Nadal. What a line up.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Swiatek out, Rublev getting one set vs Novak. Mmmmmhhhh, we can declare with the utmost confidence that this topic’s predictions make the most Wacky Races image in the entire other-sports section, right? :wenger:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think so too, other than Novak or Alcarez, there's no one else I'm particularly keen on watching. Compare this to 10/12 years ago when you had the likes of roddick, Hewitt, Tsonga, Murray, Del potro on top of Novak, fed and Nadal. What a line up.
Those guys weren't particularly watchable compared to most of the top 10 today.

Jev

Those guys weren't particularly watchable compared to most of the top 10 today.
Exactly. Those guys are from an era of tennis nobody should miss. People are just nostalgic for the old times and overly harsh on the current batch because they're following the greatest tennis era ever. The game is way more entertaining now than it was prior to the emergence of the big three.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Zverev, Tsitsi, Medvedev are a s*d trio for sure and clearly alienated many fans from the golden 3+2 era.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Djokovic's balance and elasticity, age 36, is just ridiculous. Those retrievals when he morphs defense in to attack, on the run, pushed out wide, are different class.

Bole Top

Djokovic is like Veidt from Watchmen, just insane physical ability for his age. he can probably catch bullet as well.

ExoduS

Rublev playing well today. That is good. Sinner is gonna be tough, tough opponent of Novak wins today.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rublev playing well today. That is good. Sinner is gonna be tough, tough opponent of Novak wins today.
Sinner has had a poor season and he's played 5 nobodies to make to to the semi final. He's going to be under prepared for the humongous challenge that Novak poses.

Duafc

Village Lemon
all that shit Rublev is wearing... just why?
Really annoys me.

The watch and 17 different bracelets more than the 4 different chains.

His trainer also has the worst, most unnecessary, pair of sunglasses on to watch a game of tennis.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Clapping like a seal here when Rublev wins an important point, but deep down I know well that Djokovic will win in 4.

Jev

That was probably Rublev's chance if he had gotten the break there. Good game but expecting Djokovic to wrap it up in this next set. He's not looking unbeatable in these last two games, though.

ExoduS

Drama in that last game. Should been routine but Rublev almost got a break. Not sure if Novak is poor or if Rublev is above usual level. Some crazy shots by Rublev but then some easy mistakes by Novak.

saivet

Drama in that last game. Should been routine but Rublev almost got a break. Not sure if Novak is poor or if Rublev is above usual level. Some crazy shots by Rublev but then some easy mistakes by Novak.
Rublev has played close to his best but Djokovic has been a bit patchy at times.

Feel Rublev needed to break and win that set to stand any chance.

On current play, Rublev can take it to 5 sets.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Djokovic is a freak. None of these newer guys will stop him.

I’ve never warmed to him though, find him difficult to like.

Every sports entity that I dislike seems to just be owning everything at the moment: Djokovic, Verstappen/Horner and City.

Bah.

ExoduS

I really feel bad for Rublev. I think if he got someone else other than Djokovic in Australia or here, he might have advanced. Ah. Well, keep trying and eventually he will get through.

Zen

Can you imagine a final against anyone other than Alcaraz from the other side :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Alcaraz vs Rune is the first time that two u21 players are contesting a quarter final in Wimbledon.

Vernon Philander

Great performance again from Novak, lovely little touch at the end too trying to find give away most of his contents from his bag to all the kids

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Apparently Alcaraz vs Rune is the first time that two u21 players are contesting a quarter final in Wimbledon.
This is a game, at such an age and stage, even the old cold heart of @wr8_utd cannot avoid warm a bit to.