Tennis Thread 2011

wr8_utd

:'(
Murray takes the first set :D

I don't really like AM but it's good to see someone other than Djoko winning a tournament!

Hopefully Murray doesn't do a Rome this time and crumble though.

wr8_utd

Does Murray have a chance today? He spent most of yesterday clutching his hamstring whereas Djokovic had a nice rest.
Ofcourse he's got a chance.

As I said in the last post, I think the two people with the best chance of beating Djokovic are Fed and Murray.

And Murray's just won the first set as well. Djokovic looks in pain.

wr8_utd

Murray breaks Djoko in the first game of the 2nd set. I really think Djoko should not play if he's got an injury. Why take a risk?

Montreal and Cincinnati are famously difficult to win back to back. He must be exhausted right now!

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I'm not watching the match but apparently from the comments I read Novak looks absolutely knackered out there and has some problems with his shoulder? I agree with wr8, not worth risking a bigger injury.

Brophs

The One and Only
He retired at 0-3 down. He looks shot physically and didn't seem to be able to swing above his head on the right side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Was looking a decent encounter, shame about the injury, think it's more overuse than anything sinister.

wr8_utd

Enigma will be here telling us that Djokovic can't be considered a great player because he retired which is something Fed would absolutely never do ;)

Brophs

The One and Only
Was looking a decent encounter, shame about the injury, think it's more overuse than anything sinister.
I thought it was pretty poor, for the most part. Djokovic was at 50% and Murray was just keeping it in court as he knew he just had to stick with him.

wr8_utd

With the long rain break now maybe Djokovic could have waited before retiring?

Anyway interesting to see how they get the presentation going in this downpour :lol:

wr8_utd

I thought it was pretty poor, for the most part. Djokovic was at 50% and Murray was just keeping it in court as he knew he just had to stick with him.
Yep it was quite an average match but to be honest the entire tournament has been amazingly mediocre imo. Nadal, Fed and even Djokovic looked very ordinary for most parts.

wr8_utd

Less than 4 days after the amazingly tiring USO final, Nadal comes back to play for Spain and absolutely hammers Gasquet 6-3 6-0 6-1

wr8_utd

Yeah Andy win another Shanghai Open because that's all you can really win :lol:

He'll win this and then maybe the end of year London Masters and then the Brits will go Murray crazy before he disappoints them with another 4 set loss to a Top player at the Aussie Open :lol:

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Fantastic effort from Murray 3 titles back to back

It might not be grand slam but actually to come back after the beatings from Nadal in the biggies this is a fantastic effort.

Its easy to sneer about it but any player has to get their head together in some way and usually Murray answer is that he doe'snt win a match for 6 months.

He's smashed up Nadal on the way so maybe it'll help get his head together when the slams come around

It's exactly the kind of thing he needs to do to prepare for the oncoming future battles

Winning = confidence in any shape or form

Well done Murray

wr8_utd

Congratulations to Murray on the 3 titles and the #3 ranking but people talk about confidence and such stuff but I honestly don't see how winning these titles will make too much of a difference. Murray has been the best amongst the top 4 at the Hard Court Masters for a while now. He might even win the end of year Tour Finals but it's the Grand Slams where the likes of Fed, Nadal and Djokovic bring out their best form.

Nadal's Masters series performances outside of clay have been mediocre for 2 years now but he's still reached 6 of the last 8 Slam finals and won 4. This ranking will be a boost for Murray but he really needs to beat a top player at a Slam and win of them to get some real confidence. And I do believe he'll win a Slam one day.

wr8_utd

It's a positive, you can't take that away. Before Djoko went on his incredible run he was being somewhat written off but i think Novak has inspired Murray. I probably recycle this every year but i truely believe he'll win one next year.
Actually Djoko was the man in form post Wimbledon last year. He was brilliant on the American Hard Courts and in the US Open and even after that in the Davis Cup. I remember backing him for the Australian Open after the USO Final last year but didn't really expect him to have such a good year.

These 3 titles will do Murray a world of good in terms of confidence but the real confidence boost will be beating Nadal/Djoko/Federer in a Slam match that really matters. I've always believed that he'll win a Slam and I'm sure he will in the next year or two but he needs to get a big win in a Slam rather than these small tournaments where no one really cares much anymore.

CheadleBeagle

Actually Djoko was the man in form post Wimbledon last year. He was brilliant on the American Hard Courts and in the US Open and even after that in the Davis Cup. I remember backing him for the Australian Open after the USO Final last year but didn't really expect him to have such a good year.

These 3 titles will do Murray a world of good in terms of confidence but the real confidence boost will be beating Nadal/Djoko/Federer in a Slam match that really matters. I've always believed that he'll win a Slam and I'm sure he will in the next year or two but he needs to get a big win in a Slam rather than these small tournaments where no one really cares much anymore.
I think Murray must win a Slam next year or he won't. Roger and Nadal are a bit past their bests and Djokovic probably will not be able to repeat this year. Murray will perhaps be able to sneak one in there as by 2013 there will be some new young players ready to break through like Tomic, Raonic, Dmitriov etc. and Murry will be a couple of years older.

wr8_utd

Federer is probably past his peak but I don't think Nadal is. He reached around 10 finals this year and won 1 Slam and 2 Masters Series titles and was in 2 more Slam finals. Not the record of someone past his best but he was certainly unlucky to come up against Djokovic in the form of a lifetime.

Agree what you say about Murray though.

wr8_utd

Nishikori (yes really) just beat Djokovic in Basel....6-0 in the third set!!!

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Nishikori (yes really) just beat Djokovic in Basel....6-0 in the third set!!!
Nole's shoulder again. I think he just didn't want to resign so he stayed on for the third set although it already was a formality at that point in the match.

wr8_utd

Djokovic was 2-3 points from the match in the 2nd set and I just switched back to the United game. I was shocked when I saw that he'd lost.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Djokovic was 2-3 points from the match in the 2nd set and I just switched back to the United game. I was shocked when I saw that he'd lost.
From what I read in our media his shoulder problems are quite worrying. I think it's the third match now he lost this year because of it.

Brophs

The One and Only
He clearly only turned up for the bonus. But who can blame him?