Tennis Thread 2013

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He just doesn't have the weapons to beat any of Nadal, Djokovic or Federer.
Or Murray. He should have put a piss poor Murray away at Miami, but he just couldn't finish the job. He hasn't got the weapons to hurt most players, but he grinds them down and bores the pants off them.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
It was the rain, wr8, I know you would give your right arm to have sex with Rafa but he was going down in the fourth set after losing the third one already. Get real.

JP77

Keep telling yourself that.

:lol:

She is but the reason why she is winning grand slams left right and centre is due to the appalling lack of depth in women's tennis.

I don't really think that's true at all. Women's tennis is nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make out and there's a good enough depth in it. The problem is, Serena is arguably the greatest of all time. She's pretty much leagues ahead of all of the other women (and not just of this current generation, but of most of them). That doesn't make the rest of them shit or mean that she's only succeeding because there's no depth. She's winning as much as she is because she's that great, that's just the truth to it all. Right now she's in the zone.

Quite remarkable what she's done when you take everything into account (I.E health, injuries etc).

jem

Also, I'm not too sue this is Novaks peak really. I'd say during his ascent and at his peak he beat Nadal 7 times in a row..
I agree with this. Djokovic has been weirdly inconsistent lately (yet resilient as ever, strangely enough.) The test for Nadal will be Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Win one or both of those, and then we can say he's back at the top again.

Neutral

BTV
Once Monica Seles got stabbed by that retard, who did Graf have to play other than Arantxa? Because prior to Seles getting stabbed, Graf won only 2 out of 10 Grand Slams in a 3 year period(She of course had already won 9 GS titles by 1993).

Jana Navotna doesn't count, neither does Marie Joe Fernandez

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
[quote"Neutral, post: 13617306, member: 51449"]Once Monica Seles got stabbed by that retard, who did Graf have to play other than Arantxa? Because prior to Seles getting stabbed, Graf won only 2 out of 10 Grand Slams in a 3 year period(She of course had already won 9 GS titles by 1993).

Jana Navotna doesn't count, neither does Marie Joe Fernandez[/quote]
I believe she won against hingis in her last grand slam title... surely she counts as a decent player

Neutral

BTV
Was that the final where Hingis lost the plot and did the underhanded serve? Or am I mixing up different events(I probably am)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Was that the final where Hingis lost the plot and did the underhanded serve? Or am I mixing up different events(I probably am)
I think yes... she won with the first one saving a match point but messed up the second
1997... hingis won all the slams that year except the french where she lost to graff

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Federico Delbonis, world number 114, beat Federer today in semis in Hamburg.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Nice return to the court from Murray. 6-4 7-6 win over Granollers in Rogers Cup.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Pospisil vs Raonic the first semis... Raonic playing fairly well.

The other semi should be Rafa vs Nole but well see... coming up next Nole vs Gasquet.

edit: 6-1 6-2 for Nole... feck! haha...

Rafa's turn in 15min

Scrumpet

There are no words
Bartoli is retiring. Wins Wimbledon in the last match of her career!

EDIT: Ok, she really didn't, BBC lied to me.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
holy mama!

Isner beats Djokovic in 1/4 of Cincinnati... Del Potro also in semis.

Now Berdych vs Murray and later Roger vs Rafa... sweet

Bojan11

So Nadal could be number 2 in the world and possibly number 1 by the end of the year. Crazy.

I don't think I've seen him play this well on hardcourts.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not really crazy. Nadal is literally defending zero points in the hardcourt season unlike the other top players.

Seveneric

It IS kinda crazy though, when you consider where he was at this stage last year and even earlier this year, people were actually doubting if he'll even be returning. Now he comes back and has made like 11 out of 12 finals of the tourneys he's played this year.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It IS kinda crazy though, when you consider where he was at this stage last year and even earlier this year, people were actually doubting if he'll even be returning. Now he comes back and has made like 11 out of 12 finals of the tourneys he's played this year.

It's not really when you consider that despite his injuries, he's been winning many of the major titles he's competing in. That's one GS, and he's won 2 hard court events recently plus a number of clay court ones earlier in the year.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's the new no.2, but in reality he'll be the no.1 by the year end. His record this year is ludicrous, 53 to 3. And no hard court defeats all year. 5 Masters titles out of the 6 he's actually taken part in and he's reached something like 11 finals from 12 tournaments entered. Wimbledon is his only real blemish all year. Has he burnt himself out though in his attempt to restore his ranking? Time will tell but Murray and Djokovic will be tough to shift over 5 sets, even for a Rafa in this form.

Seveneric

It's not really when you consider that despite his injuries, he's been winning many of the major titles he's competing in. That's one GS, and he's won 2 hard court events recently plus a number of clay court ones earlier in the year.
But that's what makes it crazy though? Did anyone really expect him to come back and win so much? He's won 3 hardcourt masters in a year, can't remember the last time he did that, if he's ever even done it and within a shot of #1. For a guy who was supposed to fall away to make way for players like Del Potro, what he's done is crazy and unexpected imo

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
But that's what makes it crazy though? Did anyone really expect him to come back and win so much? He's won 3 hardcourt masters in a year, can't remember the last time he did that, if he's ever even done it and within a shot of #1. For a guy who was supposed to fall away to make way for players like Del Potro, what he's done is crazy and unexpected imo

Yeah I know what you mean, when you said 'crazy' I thought you were referring to the idea that he'd be able to get back to number 1 with the way he's years been, ie you didn't think he deserved it but I can see now that's not what you were saying.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Federer is 7th seed at the US Open. His lowest seeding in a decade atleast.

Even though I'm no fan, its a bit weird seeing his career go down the way it is. He's no longer really competitive at GS or the masters. Too many good players ahead of him.

He should call it a day soon. Surely, he can't be enjoying this.

Wonder if he's waiting for one last magical GS run, ala Sampras.

Bojan11

Not really crazy. Nadal is literally defending zero points in the hardcourt season unlike the other top players.

Of course it is crazy. The guy came back from a serious injury. It wasn't like last time where he just had Federer, when he came back. This time he has Djokovic and Murray. He has come back from injury before but sometimes for a tennis player they might not be back to their best because of it.

So for Nadal to win 3 hardcourts is crazy. He wouldn't have gained those points if the other top players had actually performed. His draw for the US open is decent. As he avoids Murray and Djokovic in the semi. If those two meet in the semi then it could be a 5 hour game on hard courts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Federer is 7th seed at the US Open. His lowest seeding in a decade atleast.

Even though I'm no fan, its a bit weird seeing his career go down the way it is. He's no longer really competitive at GS or the masters. Too many good players ahead of him.

He should call it a day soon. Surely, he can't be enjoying this.

Wonder if he's waiting for one last magical GS run, ala Sampras.

He won Wimbledon last year. Also, its not unusual for 32 year old Tennis players to be on the decline. Doesn't mean players of Federer's calibre should be written off though. He could easily nick another slam if conditions are right.

Bojan11

Agassi got to finals in his late thirties.

Look at Haas. Tennis is different now to 5 years ago. You don't see many 17 year olds play in the major tournaments. Federer showed enough against Nadal last week that he could compete with the top players. I do think the back injuries haven been a problem.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's clearly nowhere near the player he once was. But over the next 2 years, which is 8 grandlsams I can see him lifting his game for two, hopefully winning one of them.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
There's no chance of Federer ever winning another Slam, I'm sorry to say it. Even if the top 3 were out injured I still wouldn't back him anywhere.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Of course it is crazy. The guy came back from a serious injury. It wasn't like last time where he just had Federer, when he came back. This time he has Djokovic and Murray. He has come back from injury before but sometimes for a tennis player they might not be back to their best because of it.

So for Nadal to win 3 hardcourts is crazy. He wouldn't have gained those points if the other top players had actually performed. His draw for the US open is decent. As he avoids Murray and Djokovic in the semi. If those two meet in the semi then it could be a 5 hour game on hard courts.
Nadal comes in as the slight favourite I think. His ridiculous hard court form this year would warrant that. The draw means Nadal is a shoe-in for the final and there's only 4 people who can win this tournament, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and Del Potro. And the draw probably means that Del Potro is highly unlikely because he'd have to beat each of the top 3 in order to do it. Players are judged mainly on Slams and while Haas has competed well all year, that is in best of 3 set Masters series, Grand Slams are a different beast for the older guys. Gulbis has a decent draw here and could get to the QF's and meet Rafa whereas Del Potro is more than capable of taking any of the top 3 out, maybe even 2 of them but like I say, I can't see him beating all 3 of them from the QF onwards to win the tournament.