Tennis Thread 2013

RORY65

It's difficult to see him turning this round, he's not even hinted at creating a chance on the Wawrinka serve. It's up to Wawrinka to keep this up, he's been absolutely outstanding (apart from the odd, weird mishit).

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Needs a collapse from Wawrinka, it's not going to happen. He's flawless today and has always been capable of reaching these heights. Murray is in a daze and can't get near him.

Seveneric

Needs a collapse from Wawrinka, it's not going to happen. He's flawless today and has always been capable of reaching these heights. Murray is in a daze and can't get near him.
This is no different from how good Wawrinka looked against Djokovic at the AO earlier this year and he still turned it around.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
This is no different from how good Wawrinka looked against Djokovic at the AO earlier this year and he still turned it around.
Wawrinka is playing better tennis now than then, he is serving incredibly.

Brophs

The One and Only
If Murray loses this it'll be pretty annoying, as Wawrinka has no hope of winning this tournament. Just another semi that'll end up with a top player strolling through.

mehro

Ass face
If Murray loses this it'll be pretty annoying, as Wawrinka has no hope of winning this tournament. Just another semi that'll end up with a top player strolling through.
What rubbish. Wawrinka's played a brilliant match and it'll be a deserved victory if he can hold on just a little bit longer. Did you say the same something about Del Porto in 2009? Or Ivanisevic in 2001?

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Stan will probably beat Djokovic if he repeats this form. He should have beaten him in Aus, and he's playing even better right now.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Murray out. He was quite poor today and it's disappointing to see him crumble out in such a feeble way but Wawrinka was superb. He'll give Djokovic a good game in the semis at this rate.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Great performance by Wawrinka. Best I've ever seen him play.

Djokovic Vs Nadal in the final.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Incredible game. Can't see him replicating that against Nole should he go through, but he was on a masterclass just then. Fantastic shots.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Murray has been poor since Wimbledon but nobody has mentioned it. We all take it for granted now that he'll reach Slam SF's and Finals. He just struggles against players who hit hard and go for their shots. Not a single break point today, that is quite amazing.

Seveneric

Don't understand how he handled last year's windy conditions which was like a wind tunnel, better than today where it wasn't even that bad

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Don't understand how he handled last year's windy conditions which was like a wind tunnel, better than today where it wasn't even that bad
Think it was more to do with Berdych not handling the wind as well because his serve is a big weapon of his.

Seveneric

Think it was more to do with Berdych not handling the wind as well because his serve is a big weapon of his.
True, but then even in the match against Djokovic(which was probably the worst I can remember seeing in a while), he adjusted his tennis and still played reasonably well

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's still had a great year, he won Wimbledon after all and I'm sure he'd have taken these results at the start of the year even if today has been disappointing. Hard court was always regarded as his strongest surface but you have to say now his best surface right now is grass.

In a way I want Stan to beat Djokovic because he is playing so well but then it would be highly unlikely that he would beat Nadal in the Final. The final should always be the pinnacle of a tournament, therefore we need to see Novak v Rafa, what a spectacle and physical battle it would be. Both will be very happy to see Murray out though.

Bread

Didn't get to see the Match but have watched highlights and it's immediately clear how good Stan played and that Murray had an off day, not seen him that far behind his baseline in a very very long time. I do wonder if a crazy 12 months finally took it's toll. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Saying that if it is, he's a double grand slam winner, didn't think he'd be able to say that not so long ago!

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
In a way I want Stan to beat Djokovic because he is playing so well but then it would be highly unlikely that he would beat Nadal in the Final. The final should always be the pinnacle of a tournament, therefore we need to see Novak v Rafa, what a spectacle and physical battle it would be. Both will be very happy to see Murray out though.
True that. Its all in the head... he can beat anyone on his day, but the chances he play his best tennis in the final rounds of important tournaments is minimal, and thats when you face the best players. He has the the weapons, but usually lack of those "nerves of steel" when matters the most.

Similar player to Fernando Gonzalez. In Australia 2007... Humillate Nadal and Haas, a masterclass, only to loose easy vs Roger in the final, playing a terrible tennis in comparison with semis and 1/4. Feña was 28 back then, like Stanislas now... im guessing he is getting into his best moment (mental and physical relation). The next 2 or 3 years will be very good for Stanislas. I would like him to win something important. Up to him.

I think he will beat Nole, but loose to Rafa...

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
The chances of Wawrinka playing 3 world class matches in a row is so remote. If anyone was to beat Murray though I'm glad it's Wawrinka. Great player and guy according to almost everyone who's met him.

Bojan11

Strange year for Murray. I know he's won Wimbledon, but it's been a bit flat the rest of the year.

Funny how people were going on about how Murray and Djokovic are players to beat after Wimbledon. I personally think if you beat Nadal then you have won the grandslam. He was poor at Wimbledon, but I dont think he was 100%. He is playing a level above everyone at the moment and only person who could beat him is Djokovic. If Nadal and Murray both play their best then Nadal will always win.

Also yeah great result for Wawrinka and Gasquet. I bet Federer will be nervous as he might not qualify for the world tour finals. Wawrinka was unlucky against Djokovic in the Australian open. He certainly can take it to five sets.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
US Open 2013 has been very underwhelming. Just hope the finals in both men's and women's are the expected ones, that is, Djoker vs Nadal and Serena vs Azarenka.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Strange year for Murray. I know he's won Wimbledon, but it's been a bit flat the rest of the year.

Funny how people were going on about how Murray and Djokovic are players to beat after Wimbledon. I personally think if you beat Nadal then you have won the grandslam. He was poor at Wimbledon, but I dont think he was 100%. He is playing a level above everyone at the moment and only person who could beat him is Djokovic. If Nadal and Murray both play their best then Nadal will always win.

Also yeah great result for Wawrinka and Gasquet. I bet Federer will be nervous as he might not qualify for the world tour finals. Wawrinka was unlucky against Djokovic in the Australian open. He certainly can take it to five sets.

This is the excuse Nadal fans will say every single time he loses early in Slams. Nadal is just quite a shaky starter and has had a few close shaves during his winning Slam titles as well. It's probably better if Djokovic beats Wawrinka because the final could be an absolute epic whereas Wawrinka v Nadal could be over in 2-3 hours.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Women tennis needs azarenka to win tomorrow. Come on azarenka!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Azarenka will be dominating tennis herself when Serena calls it a day.

RORY65

Azarenka will be dominating tennis herself when Serena calls it a day.
I'm not sure about that, her serve is vulnerable and thus she can't boss matches like Serena, but she's clearly the 2nd best in the world right now and her record over the last 18 months of making the 4 slam finals on hard courts is outstanding.

Seveneric

Women tennis needs azarenka to win tomorrow. Come on azarenka!
Did men's tennis need anyone other than Federer to win between 2005-2007 when he dominated almost everything? People seemed to enjoy it then, so I don't see why it's different with Serena.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Did men's tennis need anyone other than Federer to win between 2005-2007 when he dominated almost everything? People seemed to enjoy it then, so I don't see why it's different with Serena.
Yes, it did. Federer needed competition and when Nadal emerged it helped Men's tennis as a whole.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Serena is still so far behind Graf. It was interested that she openly said she's not as good as graph because she hasn't owns as many grand slams and that it was as simple as that.

Btw, djokovic's level really has dropped in recent times hasn't it? Doesn't seem to have the same authority. The way he got thrashed by Murray in the Wimbledon final was nuts. I can see nadal doing the same to him in the final of this one ( if hew makes it) unless he gets back to somewhere closer to his usual level.

Hitchcocker

Holy shit, is anyone watching this match? Stan is 4-1 up against Nole! Come on Warinka!