Tevez poster in Manchester city centre

Ecroyd

Strangely aroused by Lizard King
isnt their new stadium technically not in in manchester (to the same extent old trafford inst) or is that just bollocks

ralphie88

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1127055_fans_see_red_over_tevez_poster?rss=yes

Fans see Red over Tevez poster
July 20, 2009

A GIANT poster hailing Carlos Tevez's switch to City has been splashed with red paint.

The cheeky blue billboard, which left United fans seething after it went up on Deansgate last week, was pelted with paint on Sunday.

A number of paint-soaked sponges were found around the base of the poster, which featured the former United terrace favourite above the slogan 'Welcome to Manchester'.

Derek Wallace, editor of City fanzine King of the Kippax, said the attack showed just how worried Reds fans were about City's spending spree.

He added: "This was totally predictable.

'Bitter'

"They like to dish it out - like the poster they've got at Old Trafford showing how many years it is since we won anything - but they really can't take it back. It shows just how bitter they are."

One poster on the MEN website also had a dig at the vandals:

"Bit of advice lads, get a longer ladder and don't use water-based paints next time, it's been lagging it down today and it's all washed off."

Tevez, 25, turned down the offer of a contract at United to seal a £25.5m switch to City.

He had previously been at Old Trafford on an extended loan. The Argentinean said last week that 'part of his heart' would always be with the Reds' fans.

french88devil

When you get to read United forums and City ones, it's quite obvious that we are the bitter. :houllier:

City haven't won anything for more than 30 years, they only sign grabbing money whores, i must admit that i'd love to be a city fan. What a shame, i support Man Utd, the Premier league champions for 3 years...

The Law of Denis

When you get to read United forums and City ones, it's quite obvious that we are the bitter. :houllier:

City haven't won anything for more than 30 years, they only sign grabbing money whores, i must admit that i'd love to be a city fan. What a shame, i support Man Utd, the Premier league champions for 3 years...
Of course we're bitter, I mean City have the bloody poster, never mind the trophies we don't have a bloody poster :mad:

Moriarty

Has anyone painted the fecking thing yet? Do I have to do this myself? You young 'uns....In my day, we'd have torn it to pieces and started a bonfire with it on the Kippax. :)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That city bloke has a point... I mean us having a fans banner INSIDE Old Trafford mocking their 33 years without winning anything is the same as their club paying for a poster of a former united player celebrating a crucial goal in last season's title race for United.

No wait... he has no point at all; the clueless bitter bluenose citeh supporting cnut.

The_Red_Hope

Small time cnuts!! With all the money they have and all the players they have bought, we are still the first things on their mind. Money can't buy everything.

mickthered

I think last nights MEN was taking the piss out of the citeh fans
shown a selection of quotes over tevez from their web site from citeh fans and what a surprise not one of them came from Manchester

Bread

Are United fans still bitter about this? They did it for a laugh, grow up and take it with a pinch of salt. You are giving them the reaction they want...
are 'united fans' who the hell do you support?

get your cock out of tevez's arse and have a laugh yourself, we're supposed to plot revenge and mock back, it's football.

Kelvin

Sir Alex Ferguson has branded Manchester City "arrogant" over a controversial poster campaign.

No sooner had City completed their capture of Carlos Tevez following the Argentina international's successful two-year stint at Old Trafford than a giant poster was erected at the bottom of Deansgate, one of Manchester's busiest shopping areas, declaring: "Carlos Tevez, welcome to Manchester."

The poster emphasises the fact City are based in the city of Manchester, whereas United are in Salford, something Blues fans have pointed out regularly down the years as they laid claim to the title of Manchester's only club.

If that was not bad enough, a spoof e-mail has also appeared, in which Michael Owen, complete with crutches, is pictured under the headline "Welcome to Stretford", as a wind-up at the injury-blighted forward joining United in a surprise move this summer.

With City also spending massive amounts of cash in an attempt to gatecrash the top four, the blue half of a divided city, so often downtrodden by United's contined success, can sense a shift in power.

Their United counterparts have already reacted in fierce debate and now Ferguson has waded into the argument.

"It is like one of those war adverts - Your Country Needs You," he said.

"Arrogance comes in lots of different ways. I think it is daft."

No-one has owned up to putting the Tevez poster up, although as a club City have expressed similar sentiments on official merchandise in the past.

'This is our City', 'Greater Manchester' and 'Pure Manchester' were all the brainchild of advertising agency Grey London and depict City's pride in their roots compared to United, who Blues fans would argue have lost their soul in the drive to increase profits.

Ferguson is not interested in the subtleties.

His view is quite straightforward - a jealous club, eager to make a cheap point having spent more years than they care to remember playing second fiddle to their hugely successful neighbour. A situation, according to Ferguson, that has been in existence since he first came south from Aberdeen in 1986.

"They were having a go at Manchester United," he said.

"They have had a problem ever since I came down here - Manchester United.

"You have to understand, when they get their moment to grasp for and to seize for, they are going to take it."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5453322,00.html

Bread

i would love us to actually ut some revenge poster up. but we have more class.

fecking hate the pricks, 33 years of feck all speaks for itself

BahamaRed

Legend
More from Fergie........:lol:

United boss vows pay-back after billboard taunt

FUMING - Sir Alex Ferguson

By NEIL ASHTON, 25/07/2009
SIR ALEX FERGUSON has launched a savage attack on Manchester City over their controversial billboard of Carlos Tevez.

The United boss branded City arrogant and showed contempt for Tevez, who has been heralded with a huge poster on a main road in the centre of Manchester.
Fergie also claimed City new boy Emmanuel Adebayor called United to try and engineer a move to Old Trafford instead. But the former Arsenal striker was turned down flat.
Ferguson said: "The billboard is City, isn't it? They are a small club with a small mentality. :lol:
"All they can talk about is Manchester United, that's all they've ever done and they can't get away from it. That's stupid. That arrogance will be rewarded in the right way. It's a go at us, that's the one thing it is. I don't look upon City as my biggest challenge.
"They think taking Tevez away from Manchester United is a triumph. It is poor stuff. I thought he would go to City a long time ago. Now I don't have to deal with certain players who are miserable because they are not playing. I have good professionals here.
"What's Mark Hughes got, 10 strikers? So if he picks a squad to go to Chelsea he has to leave seven behind, or five at least. He has to deal with that. It will not be easy."
Fergie also revealed striker Adebayor - desperate to sign for a club playing Champions League football - called United and Chelsea in the hope they would hijack his move to Eastlands from Arsenal.
The United chief added: "At the last minute, from what I can gather, I know Adebayor or his agent phoned us after he had agreed a deal with City and then did the same to Chelsea.
"You ask why he is going to Manchester City and it can only be for one reason. He was desperate to get to Chelsea and he was desperate to get to us.

"I am not saying they are different to any other player but when someone offers you more money, that is a big attraction. That is the reason those players have gone there. I can't say I'm enthusiastic about the season because of everything that has gone on but there is an edge being put on us because of all the buying City have done.
"Do you know what City's biggest triumph is? It's getting those players there. I don't know if they will do anything. It's not easy to get in that top four so the biggest success is just to get the players there. They might not get beyond that.
"The top four has been established a long time. Liverpool or Chelsea won't die. City's spending is only demoralising if you panic.
"The one who has the challenge is Arsene. I know he doesn't have the money and how he uses that £25m will be very interesting. The test might not come from City. Tottenham, Aston Villa and Everton will all have a say."save

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
hes playing a dangerous game, is the gaffer. of course its hard to disagree with anything he says, just not often to see a manager coming out and really saying what most of the nation has been thinking (about the reason for players going to City etc). SAF's habit of speaking frankly is a refreshing change from most other managers who seem more concerned with being politically correct and not stepping on anyone's toes.