Thai Cave kids | All 12 boys and coach rescued from cave | visiting United

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A couple of background stories coming through now. Their team played football yesterday. Along with the messages from them all about looking forward to seeing their teammates, and hoping they'd all be able to watch the WC final on TV together came a comment from their chief coach.

Which seems startlingly political until you realise that the young coach waiting to be rescued goes home some nights to his grandmother's house in Myanmar and that some of the kids being rescued are stateless. Including this one:

Born in Myanmar's self-governing Wa State, young Adul - who also speaks Thai, Burmese, and Chinese - has been at the [Ban Pa Moead] school since he was seven years old.

He left his family behind to get a better education in northern Thailand, but his parents still visit him at the Christian church where he's been taken in.

Wa State, a self-ruled region not recognised internationally - nor by Myanmar - is not allowed to legally issue passports

Fighting between ethnic rebels from United Wa State Army and Myanmar troops has historically driven thousands from the state seeking safety and greener pastures, including to nearby Thailand.

Adul is among more than 400,000 people who are registered as stateless in Thailand, according to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) - though some estimates put their numbers at 3.5 million.
That's an AFP news agency report being quoted by the BBC.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The doctors who've stayed in the cave with the group are also incredibly brave. That's real commitment to your patients.
I knew they'd had at least one navy medic and three Seals staying with them since they found them, but I guess I'd assumed some kind of shift system was in place. The way they're talking about it today, it sounds like these guys have stayed with them all through. Either way, we're talking about incredibly brave, and highly skilled people.

Sandyman

Reports: 'ninth boy rescued'
Both CNN and Reuters are reporting that a ninth boy has been rescued. Reuters cited an official with knowledge of the operation. CNN cited two sources: a Thai navy source and a member of the rescue team.

The Guardian in trying to get confirmation.
From the Guardian. AP reported earlier that an ambulance was seen leaving the site.

Lj82

Yeah it seems like it was the same group of divers/doc who stayed with them throughout.
I'm guessing that's because the number of divers with the requisite ability to reach that part of the cave is too small to do a rotation.

Sandyman

A Guardian source has confirmed that a ninth boy has been rescued from the cave.
Excellent news. This also means that they are making excellent time.

GBBQ

It seems he built a mini-submarine to help rescue the kids with some rocket parts.
Surely this would not be much use considering there were sections where a person couldn't fit through if they were wearing an oxygen tank?

Sandyman

Surely this would not be much use considering there were sections where a person couldn't fit through if they were wearing an oxygen tank?
Think there were a couple of tweets from Musk showing the mini-sub and they were only as big as the children in terms of size.

Javi

Doesn't look like it. This is testing footage:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah it seems like it was the same group of divers/doc who stayed with them throughout.
I'm guessing that's because the number of divers with the requisite ability to reach that part of the cave is too small to do a rotation.
Also someone is put at risk every time you need to go back and forth.

NinjaFletch

And if you looked at it it was basically a coffin with air tanks. I'd have taken my chances with the currents if I were the boys.

I know Musk was invited to give his input, but the Thai Navy Seals and the divers have got this. He should know when to stfu and stop trying to make it about him.

Javi

I know Musk was invited to give his input, but the Thai Navy Seals and the divers have got this. He should know when to stfu and stop trying to make it about him.
By the govt. of Thailand?

NinjaFletch

By the govt. of Thailand?
Someone close to the rescue team had a nephew who worked for SpaceX I think, or at least that's what I thought I had read. Not able to find it now.

And the Thai statement just put out seems very much like it should be read as 'thanks but no thanks'.

Last edited:

Sandyman

A Reuters witness saw two people being carried out of the Tham Luang cave on stretchers. They were the first two to be taken out on Tuesday, the third day of the rescue operation.
Still based on witness reports. No official confirmation.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Doesn't look like it. This is testing footage:

How small does one have to be to fit in that giant suppository? Only anaesthetized, I guess.

Plus that "narrow" passage looks a lot bigger and straightforward than the passages in the cave. The sub would need to be flexible. And Elon probably knows this, but didn't want to waste a chance to show up there before the rescue was over.

GBBQ

How small does one have to be to fit in that giant suppository? Only anaesthetized, I guess.

Plus that "narrow" passage looks a lot bigger and straightforward than the passages in the cave. The sub would need to be flexible. And Elon probably knows this, but didn't want to waste a chance to show up there before the rescue was over.
Yeah exactly, divers there are comfortably getting through with the tanks on their backs and the sub is a similar size to them so would definitely struggle. It smacks of a PR exercise for the Musk brand.

Javi

No idea. Looks like this test was yesterady when it was already known that the rescue team has a strategy in place to get the kids out. Not sure what to make of his attempt.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It smacks of a PR exercise for the Musk brand.
Sickeningly so. He's had all sorts of stuff he wanted to advertise. The drilling system that doesn't exist. The ground penetrating radio that he didn't have. I didn't trust most of his business promises beforehand, I trust them even less now. It's like hearing from engineering's answer to a Donald Trump tweet machine.

NinjaFletch

they're taking them off and dragging them behind at the narrow parts
They mean that the divers in the video are comfortably getting through that 'narrow' space with gear on whereas we know they can't in the real cave. So Musk's demonstration just shows how unfeasible the sub idea is.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Still based on witness reports. No official confirmation.
That's likely to remain unconfirmed until the press conference at the close of today's operations, or at least until the first batch are out. The Guardian's contact (another inside source but a different one to the Reuter's contact) is confirming it now as well. They've been good on this over the last few days.

Lj82

That's likely to remain unconfirmed until the press conference at the close of today's operations, or at least until the first batch are out. The Guardian's contact (another inside source but a different one to the Reuter's contact) is confirming it now as well. They've been good on this over the last few days.
I think it's more or less accurate. Reuters reporting it too.

[QUOTE/]5.37pm: A tenth person has been seen carried out of the cave complex on a stretcher, says Reuters citing a witness.

5.14pm: A ninth person has been rescued from the cave complex, Reuters says, citing an official with information about the mission. Speaking to AFP, a police source confirmed that the boy "has been transferred from the cave entrance to the field hospital".

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...e-thai-boys-day-3-live-blog-10515144.[/QUOTE]

Dyslexic Untied

The Elon Musk thing is embarrassing.

Fine that he wants to help, that deserves praise in itself. But he must know that showing up, with completely unproven technology on (hopefully) the last day of the operation when everything so far has gone better than expected, is completely idiotic and will be regarded as nothing more than a stunt to brand yourself and your technology.

edit: come to think of it, his appearance is about as weird as that time Paul Gascoigne showed up to help that maniac on a shooting spree with a fishing pole and some beer.

Sandyman

Yeah the Navy Seal have confirmed the 9th on their FB page. Good pace so far. Can't be said enough how incredible this rescue has been.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Fine that he wants to help, that deserves praise in itself. But he must know that showing up, with completely unproven technology on (hopefully) the last day of the operation when everything so far has gone better than expected, is completely idiotic and will be regarded as nothing more than a stunt to brand yourself and your technology.
Completely agree.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

edit: come to think of it, his appearance is about as weird as that time Paul Gascoigne showed up to help that maniac on a shooting spree with a fishing pole and some beer.
:lol: @ the edit. About as helpful too.

Lj82

Agree. In the initial stages I thought it was all fair and good that he tried to offer some suggestions and help. But at this stage when the people at the frontline have already devised a viable plan and have already extracted more than half of the kids, Musk's appearance at the cave is just pointless and purely self-serving.

GBBQ

Yeah exactly the timing is completely bonkers. There's no way any sane person would sanction the use of the sub when the method in use has successfully extracted 8 people and gone exactly according to plan each time.

But the worrying thing is people are more likely to remember Musk (and I have seen twitter posts calling him a great man) than the doctors and divers who have actually put their life on the line in executing such a risky strategy.

NinjaFletch

Yeah exactly the timing is completely bonkers. There's no way any sane person would sanction the use of the sub when the method in use has successfully extracted 8 people and gone exactly according to plan each time.

But the worrying thing is people are more likely to remember Musk (and I have seen twitter posts calling him a great man) than the doctors and divers who have actually put their life on the line in executing such a risky strategy.
And don't you worry, when the inevitable Hollywood film is made the American interest angle will see his role amplified to the extreme.

Saying that, I'm sure South Park will inevitably do a good line in Elon Musk satire where he turns up, like Al Gore, to save the day in various weird and wacky ways.