Thai Cave kids | All 12 boys and coach rescued from cave | visiting United

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah f*ck swimming underwater in the pitch black. I'd rather live in the cave for the rest of my life.

Bring me in a generator bike with lights and shit, a mattress and drill me some sort of cave WiFi and I'm good.

GloryHunter07

I haven't read too much into this, but can they not send in expert divers to do some kind of tandem setup where they take a person out each? Probably an idiotic idea for anyone who knows anything about this situation.
That is an option, they do have lots of expert divers but it is still a very challenging route even for the experts. It takes them 6 hours to get to the kids.

Factor in a bunch of kids who cant swim, no light, current, unpredictable water levels and you get the idea

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
CNN saying they aren’t well enough to even make an attempt at the 6 hour trek, regardless of if it’s even feasible for people that can’t swim in the first place...

MDFC Manager

Jacob Goldberg, reporting for the Guardian, says that the diver died when he ran out of oxygen while placing air tanks at stages throughout the cave. His body has been sent to Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok and his hometown is Roi Et.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really surprised and sad that one of the rescue divers has passed away. It really highlights how truly difficult the route must be for the divers, and would only raise further doubts that they would be able to bring the people out via diving.

Also reading the live feed, they now have concerns that oxygen level in the cave itself is getting low. Plans to bring in a 5km hose to provide oxygen to the boys.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Sad to hear about the diver. I wonder if that's going to change their thinking at all? The chances of getting all out safely through diving must be incredibly slim.
This poor man ran out of air on the return trip - he'd been delivering supplies of oxygen to the boys. He was a Navy Seal, he'd left the service but came back to help with the rescue. These guys are so brave.

The fact that oxygen levels are falling so fast in the cave is very worrying.

Rajma

Feck feck, would eventual rainfalls only cut off the access to the area in the cave they currently are? Or flooding is unavoidable too?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
RIP to the diver. It seems to be getting nastier in general, with reports that rumours some of the children can't swim are false and that volunteers have negligently pumped water back into the cave network rather than out to safety. When the situation is clearly as dangerous as it is what's the need for the extra intrigue and challenges?

Sandyman

This poor man ran out of air on the return trip - he'd been delivering supplies of oxygen to the boys. He was a Navy Seal, he'd left the service but came back to help with the rescue. These guys are so brave.

The fact that oxygen levels are falling so fast in the cave is very worrying.
All the additional people can't be helping in that regard. Read in the Guardian that they are installing a pipe to pump air into the cave as oxygen levels have already dropped to 15%.
Can't even imagine what those involved must be going through :(

MDFC Manager

A video has emerged of Saman Kunan as he waited to board a plane to join the rescue mission in Chiang Rai.

“I am at Suvanahabhumi airport waiting to board the plane to join the mission in Chiang Rai,” he said.

“I’m accompanied by doctors from Navy and divers from Sea World that also donates lots of diving equipment. See you this evening. We will bring the kids home.”
Poor guy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ugh, that is awful. The whole thing felt quite exciting and interesting before, or something, but that just brings back how terrifying and dangerous this whole thing really is. Over 1,000 people involved in the rescue operation and they seem almost helpless towards getting them out safely*

*bit like brexit lolz

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Really sad situation.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah f*ck swimming underwater in the pitch black. I'd rather live in the cave for the rest of my life.

Bring me in a generator bike with lights and shit, a mattress and drill me some sort of cave WiFi and I'm good.
Someone on Reddit said they're actually looking into installing fibre optic so they can communicate easily.

MadMike

This is looking very bad now. Monsoon season days away. Dropping oxygen levels. Treacherous route to dive even for professional divers.

I have a really bad feeling about it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How many countries are contributing to the rescue operation?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
When I read it was a 4-5 hour return trip under water it really put it into perspective just how difficult it will be to get those kids out.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
When you hear of a navy SEAL dying on a route they might need to bring 12 kids out through, it really brings it home how fecked this situation is. I just hope that for once we can have a happy ending (for the kids, obviously its already not happy now there's been a death).

Castia

Fecking hell :(

It’s starting to look grim. I’d say it’s almost impossible to get them out via diving they should look at alternatives.

Dyslexic Untied

The ex navy seal who died is a hero in the true sense of the word. RIP.

Really hope they find a solution to this quickly. Such a terrible situation.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ugh, that is awful. The whole thing felt quite exciting and interesting before, or something, but that just brings back how terrifying and dangerous this whole thing really is. Over 1,000 people involved in the rescue operation and they seem almost helpless towards getting them out safely*

*bit like brexit lolz
This really the thread for brexit jokes? Show some respect

MDFC Manager

There's apparently one part of the route which is just 70cm wide :houllier: and 15 meters long.

I think I'd give up and die if asked to go through that, in pitch black underwater conditions.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There's apparently one part of the route which is just 70cm wide :houllier: and 15 meters long.

I think I'd give up and die if asked to go through that, in pitch black underwater conditions.
Where would this miles long tube be found? I'd guess that it would need to be fabricated and ways of sealing it designed before transporting it to the site and installing it. Fantasy solution.

SteveTheRed

feck this is awful. Really hope they find some solution but it looking bleaking by the minute.

That navy seal who died is a true hero, what an awful way to die but he did it trying to save others.

MDFC Manager

Where would this miles long tube be found? I'd guess that it would need to be fabricated and ways of sealing it designed before transporting it to the site and installing it. Fantasy solution.
Yeah that's not gonna happen. But just wanted to post the part about the 70cm section which has to be traversed through anyway.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I used to be a dive instructor and instructor trainer with a small amount of cave diving experience but nothing like the length of cave we are talking about here. Cave diving is fraught with danger for even incredibly experienced divers as we have witnessed today. If they try to get the kids out on scuba there will be deaths almost for sure. They can't even swim and a panicked diver can drain an air tank very quickly even assuming they keep the mouthpiece in. Getting them through the long 70cm stretch could kill them all I fear.

That said do we know if where they are is safe when the monsoon hits? Water could rise and oxygen levels sound like they are low. :(

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
They would also have to carefully consider what happens to the water moved away from the volume the tube would occupy.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

I wouldn't even walk through there when the water wasn't there. I'm pretty claustrophobic though.

The Purley King

Read somewhere that the kids had heard animal noises in the cave. So they are either hallucinating - possible I guess given the low oxygen levels, or there may be a chimney at the top that comes out onto the mountain and the sound of animals in the forest above is making its way down to them through that hole. People are looking for a possible route down from above now.
Grim situation.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Read somewhere that the kids had heard animal noises in the cave. So they are either hallucinating - possible I guess given the low oxygen levels, or there may be a chimney at the top that comes out onto the mountain and the sound of animals in the forest above is making its way down to them through that hole. People are looking for a possible route down from above now.
Grim situation.
Seems odd that the oxygen levels would be falling though, if there's a natural chimney to the outside.

The Purley King

Seems odd that the oxygen levels would be falling though, if there's a natural chimney to the outside.
Yeah possibly. I think there are quite a few people in that pretty enclosed space, so would imagine that the air down there wouldn't mix effectively with the outside even if there was an imbalance in oxygen levels. I dunno though - I know nothing about the physics of it.