Thai Cave kids | All 12 boys and coach rescued from cave | visiting United

Silva

As the Thailand cave rescue efforts continued today, Elon Musk said he was on hand to do whatever he can to help extract publicity.

Deeply distressed by the amount of attention being gained by people risking their lives to save the boys, Musk said he had a cool submarine that could retrieve the same amount of attention in half the time, just with a few tweets.

With the situation becoming more desperate by the day, Musk says he will now consider sending a team of expert publicists to Thailand to help with the evacuation efforts.

A spokesperson for Musk said the conditions were terrible. “It’s taken an incredible toll on him. To endure more than ten days watching on while the world’s media is focused on something other than him – it takes a lot of mental strength and courage”.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Apparently, the water pumps died out not long after the people were rescued according to some Australian volunteers, suggesting it's done in the nick of time. Even otherwise, it's a heroic attempt but if true, that's just wow, can't describe it

Charlie Foley

Why are we talking about Elon Musk. Can't it have its/ his own thread?

Delighted they're all out. Thoughts with the family of that brave man who lost his life.

MDFC Manager

This is a real life miracle. Whether you believe in some god who made it happen, or the fact it was strong and brave people, it happened against all odds.

Thank feck, a real feel good story of what us humans can actually do when we work together. We can come together and we can survive.

As it fecking should be.
All done with good old human spirit and bravery, rather than than on-paper tech (yeah talking about that prick..)

Wow! :houllier:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Said it before and will say it again, these divers are heroes as good as they come. Will be an amazing feat if they get everyone out today. The divers are the ones who should be brought to the World Cup final and given standing ovations and what not. Would be cool if the players could do that sort of standing in line tribute thing that we did for Chelsea with our reserves some years ago. Don't recall what that is actually called.
Good points

Lj82

And big fecking surprise, the guy he was having a Twitter tantrum about not actually being the rescue chief... turned out to be the rescue chief. And the expert he referred to was a) not in charge and b) later decided himself that the submarine would not be practical.

I think Elon Musk lives in an Ayn Rand novel.
F**ing hell! I only just read his posts. The Thai rescue chief didn't even say anything too negative. Absolutely no need for him to be so defensive over it.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair to Elon, he actually sent that mini-sub to the cave. Was it too big to be used, or they didn't want to use some prototype untested technology?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
To be fair to Elon, he actually sent that mini-sub to the cave. Was it too big to be used, or they didn't want to use some prototype untested technology?
They had already extracted 8 of the boys when he rocked up with his gadget. Why on earth would they ditch their successful procedure for something that was designed on the other side of the world and hadn't been tested in the cave?

Revan

Assumptionman
They had already extracted 8 of the boys when he rocked up with his gadget. Why on earth would they ditch their successful procedure for something that was designed on the other side of the world and hadn't been tested in the cave?
Yep, it makes sense that they didn't use it. At the same time, I wouldn't blame Elon for trying to help. I mean, it could have been a plan B if suddenly rain would have started again, making the procedure they were using difficult for the last few people remaining there.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Too big, too stiff to go through the bends in the rock and really just an untested prototype.

As the email talking to him about it says, it's an interesting idea that could be relevant to rescuers somewhere, in some work, if it gets fully developed. But it wasn't useful to them, in that rescue and it certainly wasn't a relevant intervention on the last day of a rescue mission that was already demanding a lot of precision and focus from the rescue team.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yep, it makes sense that they didn't use it. At the same time, I wouldn't blame Elon for trying to help. I mean, it could have been a plan B if suddenly rain would have started again, making the procedure they were using difficult for the last few people remaining there.
You can help without spouting PR and self righteous crap on twitter and then attacking the press afterwards. If it was just a case of helping, he wouldn't have made a big deal about it and constantly banged on about it while those seals were risking their lives trying to save the boys. He's a prick, a left-wing version of Trump.

Roosney

Which four did they rescue from the dark cave first? Karius and Milner I suppose?

InfiniteBoredom

You can help without spouting PR and self righteous crap on twitter and then attacking the press afterwards. If it was just a case of helping, he wouldn't have made a big deal about it and constantly banged on about it while those seals were risking their lives trying to save the boys. He's a prick, a left-wing version of Trump.
There's nothing remotely left-wing about Elon Musk.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
As much of a media whore as Musk has turned out to be at least that email exchange between him and Rick Stanton indicates he was encouraged to build the thing. Stanton said they were worried about the smallest boy. As far as I'm aware they were leaving the weakest till last so the sub rocking up on the Tuesday might have been useful, even if only for the last extraction.

Such a ridiculous looking bit of kit though, given the especially tight bends the rescuers reportedly had to struggle through.

Silva

As much of a media whore as Musk has turned out to be at least that email exchange between him and Rick Stanton indicates he was encouraged to build the thing. Stanton said they were worried about the smallest boy. As far as I'm aware they were leaving the weakest till last so the sub rocking up on the Tuesday might have been useful, even if only for the last extraction.

Such a ridiculous looking bit of kit though, given the especially tight bends the rescuers reportedly had to struggle through.
But a spokesman for Mr. Stanton said Tuesday that the cave proved to be too narrow for the mini-submarine.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/world/asia/elon-musk-thailand-cave-submarine.html

There were hundreds, if not thousands, of people from the local area and around the world who did contribute helpful and unhelpful things to the rescue mission and none of them pretended to be fecking comic book heroes while going about it. They didn't get a videographer to show off their awesome kit, they didn't tweet about how amazing their primary school ideas were "what if we built a wittle submarine" and when told their idea doesn't work they didn't turn up to the cave like Gaza trying to talk down a madman.

GBBQ

Any news report I have read said the weakest boys were taken out first.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/thai-cave-rescue-weakest-boys-rescue-underway-2018-7?r=US&IR=T
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5931537/Weakest-boys-left-Thai-cave-reports.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-caves-Adelaide-doctor-said-ready-move.html

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
An amazing story this - absolutely delighted that it has had the best possible ending. The guys that got the kids out are proper heroes.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Said it before and will say it again, these divers are heroes as good as they come. Will be an amazing feat if they get everyone out today. The divers are the ones who should be brought to the World Cup final and given standing ovations and what not. Would be cool if the players could do that sort of standing in line tribute thing that we did for Chelsea with our reserves some years ago. Don't recall what that is actually called.
If they want it sure, but I doubt the majority of them are the kind of person to want that level of near-circus exposition, these are grown men. Official commendations are probably the most appropriate route.

Dr Griggs said it was likely Dr Harris would be a reluctant hero over his role in the successful rescues.

"I suspect Harry will feel much the same as others, and I, have felt," he said.

"When you've been a part of a team, you really feel at little bit embarrassed, or sheepish, about [the accolades] because it is a big team effort."

Cloud7

Apparently, the water pumps died out not long after the people were rescued according to some Australian volunteers, suggesting it's done in the nick of time. Even otherwise, it's a heroic attempt but if true, that's just wow, can't describe it
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/thai-cave-rescue-hero-emerges-to-family-tragedy-10519594

The Australian doctor who participated in the rescue just found out that his father had passed away while he was on the mission. :(
RIP to the brave souls father.

As @Pogue Mahone said, as morbid as it is, material for the inevitable movie just keeps on piling up. Getting them out just when the pumps where starting to fail, one of the heroes suffering loss in their moment of triumph, most writers probably wouldn’t even be able to do a script this well if they tried.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
First picture of the kids has been released.

Also, it does seem, like we discussed previously, that the boys were sedated.

Sources in the rescue operation, including divers who took part, told the BBC that the boys were heavily sedated ahead of the rescue to prevent them panicking in the dark, narrow, underwater passageways.

They were then strapped to one of two rescue divers tasked with shepherding each boy through the underwater parts of the system, and bundled into stretchers to be carried through the dry parts.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44797035

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
RIP to the brave souls father.

As @Pogue Mahone said, as morbid as it is, material for the inevitable movie just keeps on piling up. Getting them out just when the pumps where starting to fail, one of the heroes suffering loss in their moment of triumph, most writers probably wouldn’t even be able to do a script this well if they tried.
You know it's gonna be Hans Zimmer on the beat when Michael Bay's filming the scene where Scarlett Johannsen and Brad Pitt stretcher a heavily sedated Matt Damon out of the cave into the chopper piloted by George Clooney.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When are the Thai cave kids back in training?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is Elon Musk always like this? I'm sure his intentions were great but the way he imposed himself on this operation surely could have been a bit more...subtle?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Two of the British divers leaving Thailand. The one modelling Shaun the Sheep is John Volanthen looking for all the world like an IT consultant from Bristol going home from his holidays. He was one of the divers who found the kids.

Told he was a national hero, Mr Volanthen protested: 'It's not like that. If you could do the same for someone else's child, you would."

He got interviewed as he came through Heathrow.
https://news.sky.com/story/british-diver-we-are-not-heroes-after-thai-cave-rescue-11434068

"It was an international team of military and civilian divers, working alongside the Thai Navy, all pulling together."
"We are not heroes. What we do is very calculating, very calm. It's quite the opposite."