That 1998 World Cup Final: France 3 Brazil 0

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Zidane's 2nd goal header looks very iffy to me. It's from a corner and the Brazilian who's supposed to be marking him falls to the ground (for some reason) and leaves him with a free header.
Not really, in both cases Zidane runs from the edge of the box, probably because the coaching staff spotted a weakness in Brazil set piece defense. The player that falls(Dunga) is trying to keep up with Zidane who is running at speed toward the goal and makes a sharp cut to the first post.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The theory was that the game was fixed and when you look back at how that French team qualified for the final, especially that game against Paraguay you'd tend to believe in a conspiracy.
Was amazed at the way Brazil played, couldn't believe it.
Paraguay got battered. It was a defensive display for the ages, but the better team went through.
Is it far fetched to think Ronaldo was poisoned? I mean epileptic fits can have many triggers some which you can get by skin contact or food.

I honestly doubt the pressure will get to a professional footballer to that level. It''s not like he was playing in a weak team that was incapable of beating France wit him having an average game.
The xylocaine explanation is the most reasonable one. And once he has a fit in front of everyone else it's only natural they'll walk through the motions on the pitch worrying about Ronaldo being on it when he clearly shouldn't have.

Theory 2: Brazil’s Players Accepted Bribes to Throw the Match

This theory has the Brazil squad being offered £15 million, according to The Guardian, as well as the right to host a future World Cup in exchange for throwing the match against France. Part of the agreement is also said to have included the guarantee of a favourable draw in 2002.

Ronaldo, uncomfortable with the arrangement, pulled out of the squad but changed his mind after Nike told him he was risking his sponsorship money.

The story about Ronaldo having a fit or sufferering from food poisoning is bollocks imo!
Lunacy, who came up with that shit? :lol: Surely it's there as a sample of what completely ridiculous theories people can come up with.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Zidane's 2nd goal header looks very iffy to me. It's from a corner and the Brazilian who's supposed to be marking him falls to the ground (for some reason) and leaves him with a free header.
Can't remember if it was first or second header but one of them Roberto Carlos was a total statue on the line, just stood there and the ball went through his legs I think so that could've easily been kept out.

Sauldogba

The hypothesis about accepting brides is pure rubbish. £15 million would be enough money to make the squad or even multiple players throw the match in 1998? Anyone that believes that theory please PM because I am selling stocks and property for quick cash.

Its acknowledged by multiple people that Ronaldo was not right that day. Was it illness, epilepsy, he was drugged? Who knows. The real conspiracy I remember related to Nike and how Nike got involved with the NT decisions to play a clearly unfit (for whatever reason) Ronaldo and how that disrupted the entire team before the final began.

(oh and Romario should have been selected in the first place)
That was big money back then though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not really, in both cases Zidane runs from the edge of the box, probably because the coaching staff spotted a weakness in Brazil set piece defense. The player that falls(Dunga) is trying to keep up with Zidane who is running at speed toward the goal and makes a sharp cut to the first post.
Aye. Brazil's set-piece defending in the final was consistent with (a) how they defended crosses all tournament - i.e. shite and (b) a shellshocked team that lost its mental focus which is the most important aspect of defending set-pieces.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Probably a bit conspiracy theorist, but I don't think that the Nike forced Ronaldo to play angle is all that far fetched.
Ronaldo simply didn't look like he wanted to be out on that pitch - which for then the world's greatest player in a World Cup final seems a bit bizarre. Whole thing seemed to affect the Brazil side too. They played like they were shell shocked, and not in a 'rabbits in headlights' type scenario.

Deleted member 101472

It wasn't a conspiracy ffs. Several members of the team, coaching staff and ronaldo himself have confirmed what happened. I don't know whats so unbelievable about it all, it was hardy the greatest brazil side.

FootyCrew

Despite all this theory involving Ronaldo and Nike's sponsorship, it was claimed some times Ronaldo really felt funny some hours ago (convulsion) and told everyone he wouldn't play that match. Naturally, Edmundo would start on the teamsheet (it was even announced in the WC official line-up) but Dr.Toledo gave Ronaldo "carte blanche" and Ronaldo pressed Zagallo to put him in the line-up. It was pretty clear he was in no condition to play and affected his teammates psychologically - look at when he bumped into Barthez and how his teammates looked like shocked in worry for Ronaldo's safety. He recognized his own mistake some days after that match, admitting he shouldn't have asked Zagallo to play that final. Too late, though.

It was a shame because Brazil actually convinced more as a team until that final. I remember Netherlands was regarded as the best team in that competition and Brazil knocked them out deservedly since A Seleção demonstrated much more spirit, stamina and guts in ET - in fact, Brazil could've decided that game before extra-time if Ronaldo hadn't tried to dribble Van Der Sar when the match was 1-0 in Brazil's favour. France did a good job against two dark-horses in the two first matches but struggled a lot against higher tier teams. Even without Ronaldo, Brazil still could've had a fair good chance to win if Edmundo had started as it was originally planned. He was one the few Brazilian players who demonstrated seriousness in that match - there's a classic scene at which he shouted at Rivaldo for having touched the ball off the field - and let's be honest: although he was not Ronaldo, he was still a great player at that time, a truly beast one year ago. The lucky ones who watched Edmundo playing for Vasco da Gama in 1997 are well-aware of it.

Don't you know the own Brazilian football history, dude?
WC 1958: Brazil 5 x 2 France
No... France doesn't always beat us.

You're right... they weren't. They had a pretty solid defense and weak attack in contrast to that Brazilian team. Not as talented as some squads like Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina. France 2000, on the other hand, was that great IMO.

Besides I remember FIFA pre-selected 6 Brazilian players, 6 Dutch players and 5 French players out of 38 to contest for the best players in that WC before the final.
Brazil: Cafú, Roberto Carlos, Junior Baiano, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldo
Netherlands: Van Der Sar, Frank de Boer, Ronald de Boer, Cocu, Overmars, Bergkamp
France: Barthez, Desailly, Thuram, Zidane, Henry

Just taking a note that I strongly disagree with Junior Baiano in this list. Cesar Sampaio deserved it more, though.

We won because Netherlands got shattered in extra-time and lost every guts and stamina they still had. I judge they were a better and more balanced team overall but I cannot say it was an unfair match in the end taking into account Brazil played more heartily as time passed whilst Holland became more and more frail after they scored.
Im argentinian...and Argentina wasn't favorite in that WC, as a matter of fact the only great players we had were only Simeone, Zannetti and Batistuta...and let me tell you that Batistuta never delivered at main stage in World Cups, he was really critiziced back then for his poor performances when facing strong steams at WC.
We didn't even deserve to beat England, we were given a penalty that clearly wasn't a penalty....
And Pasarella was criticized pre and post WC, because he always was an average manager.
France had easily better squad than us.

Brazil,Netherlands, and France had the best squads at France 98.

FootyCrew

Come 2002 and France finished bottom of their group.

The monetary incentive to have the host nation progress as deep as possible in the WC, correlated with how another host team (S. Korea) seem to overperfrom, has kept many conspiracy theorists busy
France had a great squad, the best of the tournament, along with Brazil and Netherlands.They hardly overperformed at that WC.

How can you compare France with South Korea? My god

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Im argentinian...and Argentina wasn't favorite in that WC, as a matter of fact the only great players we had were only Simeone, Zannetti and Batistuta...and let me tell you that Batistuta never delivered at main stage in World Cups, he was really critiziced back then for his poor performances when facing strong steams at WC.
We didn't even deserve to beat England, we were given a penalty that clearly wasn't a penalty....
And Pasarella was criticized pre and post WC, because he always was an average manager.
France had easily better squad than us.

Brazil,Netherlands, and France had the best squads at France 98.
Bit harsh on yourself there IMO, although I'd agree that France had a more solid spine and base than Argentina in '98.

Argentina were never winning that tournament mainly because of the draw - the route being England, Holland, Brazil, France. But I think you can add Veron to your list at that point in his career, he was certainly one of the best midfielders in France. Ortega had a great group stage but obviously fecked it up in quarter. Ayala too was about to kick on at Valencia and establish himself as one of the top centre halves in Europe. The likes of a young Crespo, Claudio Lopez and Kily Gonzalez were better than average supporting acts.

FootyCrew

France weren’t that great during the tournament from what I recall. Extra time win over Paraguay? Penalties against Italy? They didn’t sweep teams aside until the final.
There is no such team as invincible looking at WC, let me remind you that Brazil 2002, a team that people love to praise here and there, needed help from the refeeres to pass Belgium and Turkey, and had a pretty even game against England, the only game where they looked really great was against that horrible and rubbish Germany team in the final (Ballack was the only great player they had, and he missed the Final) .