That 1998 World Cup Final: France 3 Brazil 0

FujiVice

With Brazil 94 and Brazil 2002 having won the World cup, you'd think most of that 98 side would have a WC medal at the end of their career. I wonder who missed out on one.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
With Brazil 94 and Brazil 2002 having won the World cup, you'd think most of that 98 side would have a WC medal at the end of their career. I wonder who missed out on one.
Edmundo? You may be onto something! :nervous:

We will probably never know if anything underhand went on to cause Ronaldos seizure but I'm pretty sure had he been fit and the rest of the team weren't shellshocked from it all, they would have beaten that French team comfortably. They were a brilliant side and Ronaldo was on fire at that time.

cheeky_backheel

Come 2002 and France finished bottom of their group.

The monetary incentive to have the host nation progress as deep as possible in the WC, correlated with how another host team (S. Korea) seem to overperfrom, has kept many conspiracy theorists busy

DRM

This was my first ever WC and I think my favourite. So many good moments I still remember clearly.

- Beckham's freekick v Columbia
- Nigeria's shock victory over Spain
- Owens goal v argies, then becks getting sent off for kicking out at simeone
- Berkamps wonderful touch and goal v argies
- Croatia trouncing Germany in the quater final 3-0
- Zidane's red card in the group stages, thuram scoring twice in the sf and of course zizou's 2 goals in the final

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Really? I dont remember that much honestly. What happened?
Well, first you had the let off of Mijatovic, a big star back then, missing a penalty at 1:1. But the main thing I was referring to was the linesman ignoring Bergkamp stomping on Mihajlovic right in front of him.

Ten minutes or so after that red card that never was, Davids rifled home and you were through.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well, first you had the let off of Mijatovic, a big star back then, missing a penalty at 1:1. But the main thing I was referring to was the linesman ignoring Bergkamp stomping on Mihajlovic right in front of him.

Ten minutes or so after that red card that never was, Davids rifled home and you were through.
Hehe, funny how my bias clouds my memory :)

Because the only thing I remember is the Davids goal..

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Those goals look very iffy to me. The 2nd one nobody near Zidane in the box. He was left with a free header. Not buying it!
The team was shell-shocked and would have likely lost to anyone half decent that night. Zidane's two headers were borne out of crap defending, but Brazil had been suspect from cross balls all tournament and were all over the shop defending any decent deliveries in the semi-final against Holland. Aldair was well past it and Kluivert had given him a roasting in the semi.

Would have been a great game though with a fit Ronaldo and a more normal and buoyant Brazil. France had an incredible back four and a suffocating midfield, but they wouldn't have kept a clean sheet against a fully fit and peak Rivaldo/Ronaldo axis.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The hypothesis about accepting brides is pure rubbish. £15 million would be enough money to make the squad or even multiple players throw the match in 1998? Anyone that believes that theory please PM because I am selling stocks and property for quick cash.

Its acknowledged by multiple people that Ronaldo was not right that day. Was it illness, epilepsy, he was drugged? Who knows. The real conspiracy I remember related to Nike and how Nike got involved with the NT decisions to play a clearly unfit (for whatever reason) Ronaldo and how that disrupted the entire team before the final began.

(oh and Romario should have been selected in the first place)

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Those goals look very iffy to me. The 2nd one nobody near Zidane in the box. He was left with a free header. Not buying it!
Yeah because if the game (or games) were fixed, it's obvious that they'd let Zidane free with is usually average header skills when you had Desailly or Thuram in the team. And it was planned that the ball would go between Roberto Carlos' legs because Zidane can be this accurate with headers. Luck was on france's side during this world cup (Thuram against Croatia is just ridiculous, it's the only time in his entire carreer i achieved such a performance) the rest is pure speculation and "going with gut feelings" is the worst way to have a proper analysis.

Reactions: Carolina Red

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
This was my first ever WC and I think my favourite. So many good moments I still remember clearly.

- Beckham's freekick v Columbia
- Nigeria's shock victory over Spain
- Berkamps wonderful touch and goal v argies
- Croatia trouncing Germany in the quater final 3-0
- Zidane's red card in the group stages, thuram scoring twice in the sf and of course zizou's 2 goals in the final
Zanetti's goal against England

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Brazil could have had R9, R10, and Neymar at their peak and under the best PEDs possible. They weren’t beating France in their home playing for their first final ever. R9 wouldn’t have made one bit of a difference and despite his issues the night before, he had a couple of good chances but Barthez was on another level and Zidane was the only one playing like a Brazilian that night, much like in 2006 for his last WC.

People will always try to find an explanation or excuse, but nobody cares. France was just better, and proved it two years later at the Euro as well. We are talking about one of the all-time great teams.

thepolice123

France showed up for the final, Brazil didn't. That Brazilian team was overrated anyway. Their defence was poor and they had Bebeto and Dunga who were as good as retired.

Tarrou

I remember the match being fairly even in the overall play, but France scored twice from corners and Ronaldo missed a couple of good chances and that was the difference. Brazil definitely didn't play anywhere near their potential, and I think they'd have had a great chance if the Ronaldo stuff didn't happen.

I don't remember this as France being way too strong as some have said. They were s good, efficient side and solid at the back but not way better than Brazil, IMO.

Denis79

Remember that. Never had any respect for Bergkamp after that. Proper cnut.

Grande

Theory 2: Brazil’s Players Accepted Bribes to Throw the Match

This theory has the Brazil squad being offered £15 million, according to The Guardian, as well as the right to host a future World Cup in exchange for throwing the match against France. Part of the agreement is also said to have included the guarantee of a favourable draw in 2002.

Ronaldo, uncomfortable with the arrangement, pulled out of the squad but changed his mind after Nike told him he was risking his sponsorship money.

The story about Ronaldo having a fit or sufferering from food poisoning is bollocks imo!
Yes yes, I call a WUM. However, you should be able to wum without forging facts. The Guardian article is clear in what it presents as ‘what happened’, which is about the reasons for the seizures and how it affected the team, of course. It also presents for our entertainment a few conspiracy theories dreamt up by communists or lunatics. Going by your name, you could be the former ;)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This was my first ever WC and I think my favourite. So many good moments I still remember clearly

Pretty sure Pochettino was in the ref’s ear making sure that was a red card too.

ReddBalls

That Brazil team were definitely beatable. Norway beat them 2-1 in the group stage.

M Utd

I was on holiday at the time on Crete and watched the game from an outdoor terrace 35 degrees C. Brazil had looked unstoppable mainly due to a 22 yr old by name Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima. France were the hosts and the stage was set for the final all football lovers wanted to see.

Remember my first thoughts after the game without any influence from any other spectator. I couldn’t believe how Brazil could have put in such a bad performance in such an important match. I remember the next morning and the disappointment from the locals. (the Cretians were all behind Brazil). They were gutted, but not only were they expressing there discouragement for the defeat, they were outraged over the manner of defeat. They were convinced the game was fixed!

Such thoughts had entered my mind the night before and now the day after, I was convinced this was the case.

There have been investigations and different theories brought forward since the game, and most of them circulating round the player Ronaldo.

Amongst all the speculation I’m sticking to my own gut feeling and back it up with a certain theory that was published in The Guardian which I won’t go into.

Whatever happened ahead of the match, what followed was a sort of awakening to the intersect of football, money and power.

It was the night football lost its innocence.
Incredibly I had almost the exact same experience except I was staying in Corfu. I remembering watching the early stages of the world cup at home and then travelling away. As you say Brazil appeared unstoppable with a certain R9 up top. I'm not sure the truth will ever surface about what happened before the game.

M Utd

I wanted to see the two sides go at it at the peak of their powers. This was Ronaldo's chance to ascend, as it were - one of the greatest defensive units of all-time vs. the greatest striker possibly of all-time. It had the makings of an epic, for the ages contest.

Ronaldo was clearly - absolutely clearly - not right and he shouldn't have even played in that game. I've heard numerous theories of what caused him to get sick, and with the history of the World Cup, particularly related to home nations, (England, Argentina in particular prior) it wouldn't be out of trend with previous competitions should something under-handed have actually gone on.

All I conclude is that the whole Brazil team looked shell-shocked, and not because of anything France did; just like, they were in a daze and distracted well before the game had even got going. Most of the stories as to why revolve around them crying and panicking about Ronaldo and his convulsions and then trying to play in the game.
I'd argue that Barthez or Lama (i think) was their weak link but due to an amazing back four and supporting midfield he wasn't exposed. If I remember correctly France had a slow start to the competition (mostly due to lack of goals) and one of the CBs scored a vital goal to keep them on track and in the tournament. From memory it was Blanc against paragary but I may well be wrong. What I do remember is Zindane putting on some master class performances during the competition and of course did incredibly well in the final.

M Utd

Come 2002 and France finished bottom of their group.

The monetary incentive to have the host nation progress as deep as possible in the WC, correlated with how another host team (S. Korea) seem to overperfrom, has kept many conspiracy theorists busy
I think there are lots of examples of home nations performing above or at least to expectations. England 66 and 96. South Africa when they hosted and again with Russia in the most recent WC. I'm pretty sure I did read somewhere about how groups or even sides of a draw are created to favour particular teams. Personally I like it when home nations do well as it add something to a tournament so long as the fair competition isn't compromised.

Although I might have not been so keen on SA doing any better than they did as far as I'm concerned the vuvuzela can feck off.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
France weren’t that great during the tournament from what I recall. Extra time win over Paraguay? Penalties against Italy? They didn’t sweep teams aside until the final.

M Utd

France weren’t that great during the tournament from what I recall. Extra time win over Paraguay? Penalties against Italy? They didn’t sweep teams aside until the final.
Yes. Decent enough in the group stages (9 point I think) but didn't play anyone of note. Their back four were pretty immense though so were really tough to beat.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Here’s a cool video of the French defenders discussing Ronaldo before th final.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I do remember that game and it had quite an odd feeling to it. France had a great side but Brazil was more than a match for them, at least on paper. I couldn't believe how a team with Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Dunga, Bebeto and Ronaldo can look so hopeless.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Everybody's tripping over themselves to make excuses for Brazil.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
We will probably never know if anything underhand went on to cause Ronaldos seizure but I'm pretty sure had he been fit and the rest of the team weren't shellshocked from it all, they would have beaten that French team comfortably. They were a brilliant side and Ronaldo was on fire at that time.
Despite all this theory involving Ronaldo and Nike's sponsorship, it was claimed some times that Ronaldo really felt funny some hours ago (convulsion) and told everyone he wouldn't play. Naturally, Edmundo would start on the teamsheet (it was even announced in the WC official line-up) but the Dr.Toledo gave Ronaldo "carte blanche" and Ronaldo pressed Zagallo to put him in the line-up. It was pretty clear he was in no condition to play and affected his teammates psychologically - look at when he bumped into Barthez and how his teammates looked like shocked in worry for Ronaldo's safety. He recognized his own mistake some days after that match, admitting he shouldn't have asked Zagallo to play that final.

It was a shame because Brazil actually convinced more as a team until that final. I remember Netherlands was regarded as the best team in that competition and Brazil knocked them out deservedly since A Seleção demonstrated much more spirit, stamina and guts in ET - in fact, Brazil could've decided that game before extra-time if Ronaldo hadn't tried to dribble Van Der Sar when the match was 1-0 in Brazil's favour. France did a good job against two dark-horses in the two first matches but struggled a lot against higher tier teams. Even without Ronaldo, Brazil still could've had a fair good chance to win if Edmundo had started as it was originally planned. He was one the few Brazilian players who demonstrated seriousness in that match - there's a classic scene at which he shouted at Rivaldo for having touched the ball off the field - and let's be honest. Although he was not Ronaldo, he was still a great player at that time, a truly beast one year ago.

France always beat us:lol::(
WC 1958: Brazil 5 x 2 France
No... France doesn't always beat us. ;)

You're right... they weren't. They had a pretty solid defense and weak attack in contrast to Brazilian team. Not as talented as some squads like Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina. France 2000, on the other hand, was that great IMO.

Besides I remember FIFA pre-selected 6 Brazilian players, 6 Dutch players and 5 French players out of 38 to contest for the best players in that WC before the final.
Brazil: Cafú, Roberto Carlos, Junior Baiano, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldo
Netherlands: Van Der Sar, Frank de Boer, Ronald de Boer, Cocu, Overmars, Bergkamp
France: Barthez, Desailly, Thuram, Zidane, Henry

RochaRoja

I remember this game being a massive letdown. Was billed as being an epic attack v defense battle but Brazil just didn’t show up. France won it in second gear.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I was devastated hearing Ronaldo wasn’t playing.

I was devastated watching him struggle around clearly in no fit shape to be standing up, let alone playing in a World Cup final.

I’m still devastated that injury, weight and partying cost us the chance to see perhaps the best player ever develop. I want to see the alternate timeline where he was fine for the final and injury free and fully fit for his entire career.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Could it be that maybe, just maybe, Brazil had a collective off-day? Shit happens.
Given what had happened to their team mate hours before, I doubt any of them were in the right mindset to play a final properly.

Some of them might not have been able to get the image of him fitting and convulsing out of their heads. Others would’ve been torn not wanting him to play and fighting against those that did.

It was a mess mentally for them.