That first pen for Portugal tonight

Handré1990

I find it incredible so many posters thought it wasn’t a pen. Lloris should have seen the red card imo.

Can someone explain how that wasn’t a penalty? Cheers.

Idxomer

People are used to the extra protection keepers get, I thought at first it wasn't a pen but changed my opinion.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Games gone. Now we can't punch players in the face anymore?!

Tarrou

it's obviously a penalty because it's dangerous play

but years ago it wouldn't be a pen and it takes some folk a bit of time..

binary bot
It's a pen but it was similar to the lovren vs Czech situation. Loads of areas in sport where certain rules are ignored because its just always been reffed that way. Aerial challenges, especially in the box have been part of that weird grey area.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
How's it a pen? he punched the ball. Is he supposed to let the player score?
If a goalie throws himself into the path of an attacker and elbows him in the head with such force you're happy he didn't get a concussion, it's a penalty every day of the week. It doesn't matter if the attackers header hit him as he was doing it.

Just like if a defender throws himself into the path of an attacker and rams his studs into his shin with such force you're happy he didn't break his leg, it doesn't matter if he blocks the shot on his way to clatter the attacker, it's a stonewall pen.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I think it was a free out.

He headbutted Lloris fist and elbow.

Never a pen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How's it a pen? he punched the ball. Is he supposed to let the player score?
The player got to the ball first and then Lloris elbowed him full force in the head. Unsurprisingly, you're not allowed to do that.

Also, elbowing him in the head wasn't the only way to prevent a goal. He could have tried actually saving whatever came at him. He isn't obliged to try and punch the ball.

But if we imagine a world where the only way he could have possibly prevented a goal was elbowing his opponent in the head then yes, he is expected not to do that. Or he does it and gives away a penalty. Because the rule isn't that fouls and dangerous play stop counting if it's the only way you can prevent the opponents from scoring.

It's as clear a penalty as you will see.

FatTails

Didn’t see a whole lot of people saying it’s not a penalty. Just a few England fans who desperately wanted to avoid France in the next round and that was clouding their judgement.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would love it if refs punished goalkeepers being reckless more often. They get protected way too much and get away with murder far too often.

shahzy

It was a UFC elbow smash. It wasn't deliberate but it happened. That's why it's the most obvious pen.

Why don't we talk about how BS the French penalty was. Defenders can't defend these days without refs wanting to give a penalty against them

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Why are we even talking about Portugals penalties? The one for France was straight up nonsense.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Pen and a Red Card.

Portuguese player should have been sat out too

DickDastardly

The first pen for France is more deserving of a thread then this.

A slight body check and a theatrical fall by Mbappe could fool the ref.....but how the feck do the VAR refs explain themselves?!

Also, the foul by Bruno at the end.

VAR should have a brain check.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Definite penalty. Not sure whether it should also be a red card. Goalkeepers *are* different from outfield players and should be treated differently, otherwise every time they come out to punch the ball away it should be a foul for dangerous play...

France penalty was bs, simple as that. Just a horrible decision, and one where i think VAR should have intervened

The Bruno foul towards the end was checked, but it was outside the box. Again not sure it should have been a penalty given the nature of the foul, which was more accidental than anything

arnie_ni

Pen and a Red Card.

Portuguese player should have been sat out too
No surprise he came of at half time. Bet he wasn't 100 percent correct.

Football and head injuries are still a joke.

I thiught there was an independent doctor?

arnie_ni

Definite penalty. Not sure whether it should also be a red card. Goalkeepers *are* different from outfield players and should be treated differently, otherwise every time they come out to punch the ball away it should be a foul for dangerous play...

France penalty was bs, simple as that. Just a horrible decision, and one where i think VAR should have intervened

The Bruno foul towards the end was checked, but it was outside the box. Again not sure it should have been a penalty given the nature of the foul, which was more accidental than anything
It was a definite foul, just outside the box.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, i meant to say red card :lol:

It was obviously a foul

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its definitely a penalty and should have been a red card. Lloris is a coward. He could have gone for the ball, took a collision and got the foul. Instead, he decided to put an arm's length between him and the attacker and ended up punching him. I'd have been furious as a teammate if I had lost that game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
clear penalty. goalkeepers have been allowed to get away with this for far too long.

redshaw

Clear penalty, careless and dangerous play. Not even about this talk of keepers get too much protection and "about time" like it happens each week, no I'm totally fine with protection keepers have, this punch and forearm rocking back a players head doesn't happen often. When a keeper takes a player out like that it's seen and punished.

Baneofthegame

Clear penalty, careless and dangerous play. Not even about this talk of keepers get too much protection and "about time" like it happens each week, no I'm totally fine with protection keepers have, this punch and forearm rocking back a players head doesn't happen often. When a keeper takes a player out like that it's seen and punished.
Ive seen Peter Walton and Dermot Gallagher for BT and Sky respectively say that if a goalie punches an attacking you have to “expect contact” and it’s a ”contact sport”.

Never understood how goalies got away with punching people for so long.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think the keeper's unlucky. Yes it was clearly dangerous given the end result of him forearm smashing dude in the head but he can't not go for that ball and he actually made contact with it so...I certainly don't think he deserved a red and in the end the ref got that right.

I don't think he could complain that the pen was given but equally I wouldn't have been up in arms if it was called as an accidental collision. For me Lloris was unlucky but it was probably the right call. Certainly much less of a pen than the one Bruno should have conceded though in my view.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
None of the penalties last night in the game were penalties.

The Lloris descision was awful, never a penalty.

Sylar

I'm annoyed these aren't given more. See many times where a player heads the ball, and almost scores but is knocked out with a flying punch and they just... Carry on