That Maguire challenge on Digne

dev1l

It's like some people have such an outrageous downer on Maguire that even after a great team win, and a good performance from him, they still have to try and find an angle to attack him.
Agreed. It s pathetic really

thepolice123

He got to the ball first. The tackle changed the direction of the ball and got it out of play. What’s there to talk about, seriously?

Evans999

Someone will end up getting injured by delaying the flag, but with VAR I can't see what other option they have.

Dante

Average bang
I think what the OP is trying to say is that Maguire cost £80m so it should be a red card.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Bloody hell, if we're going to have threads about ball winning challenges that aren't two footed, don't cripple someone (although the soft Digne was trying to pretend he was) and are just well won balls, then this site is going to be a painful read going forward.
You just have to look at the penalty incident on Matic against Arsenal to see that these don't get given very often. That was way more reckless and two footed and nothing happened. I have a feeling that VAR would have overturned this one though, just randomly against us. Maguire makes a tackle like that and there is almost outrage but barely any mention of the situation where he got kicked above the knee by two desperate players in the opposite box, studs up. They didn't even get the ball, how that wasn't reviewed and overturned I don't understand.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If that hadn't been called an offside, the entire result could have been different now, and the whole mood would have been different.

So yeah deserves to be talked on.
The Pickford/Keane smashfest on Maguire was much more of a talking point.
Same situation. Everton equalise late on and that becomes a big point.

Yet because it's not a thread that paints Maguire in a bad light there's no thread.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Absolutely not, you are factually wrong, go read the rules before commenting with such confidence. Maguire clatters Digne, don’t make it sound like it was a 50/50. Ridiculous.
Clatters him after winning the ball completely clean. It wasn't reckless and dangerous. Football is a contact sport.

And it was blatantly a 50/50 situation. If you can't see that, that's on you.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You just have to look at the penalty incident on Matic against Arsenal to see that these don't get given very often. That was way more reckless and two footed and nothing happened. I have a feeling that VAR would have overturned this one though, just randomly against us. Maguire makes a tackle like that and there is almost outrage but barely any mention of the situation where he got kicked by studs from two desperate players in the opposite box. They didn't even get the ball, how that wasn't reviewed and overturned I don't understand.
That's because some of our "fans" like to stick to their view that Maguire is rubbish, irrespective of any evidence to the contrary, like his good display today.

Hence that thread about should he have given a pen away for grappling someone in another game.
Yet nothing on when he's the victim.

Red_toad

Got to the ball first and was only ever going to be 1 winner of any contest for the ball. Not a red nor a penalty. Forward shouldn’t have put his foot in there after the ball had been played.
If people are looking to ban slide tackles, it’ll be very very detrimental to the game.
After the match my main issue is how Pickford basically booted Maguire, got nowhere near the ball and that was nothing?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I totally agree with this, in fact it looked like Pickford raked Maguire across his manhood. Maguire's challenge on Digne was clean in my view and Everton took the chance to mope about it. We're fortunate it was offside anyway though because the ref wasn't great today.
Are you suggesting that was a red card or just asking hypothetically?

My other question would be, are you a Man Utd fan?

el3mel

The Pickford/Keane smashfest on Maguire was much more of a talking point.
Same situation. Everton equalise late on and that becomes a big point.

Yet because it's not a thread that paints Maguire in a bad light there's no thread.
If that had been Lindelof he would have been slaughtered ten times and it would have been alright but since it's Maguire it's not ?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
When two players challenge for the ball like that, one player, generally, will get to the ball first, so both feet will come into contact with each other, so why does that have to be regarded as a foul or a reckless challenge. It appears to me that the player who loses the challenge will scream as if shot, looking for a free kick or pen. Association Football is a contact sport. As for the assault on Maguire from both Keane and Pickford, how that isn't deemed a needlessly reckless, I'll never know.

Shiva87

Proper legit tackle that. Don't know why the commentators thought something more needs to be done! Got the ball and caught the player in the follow through.

el3mel

What are you talking about?????
The guy basically thinks the entire thread is an agenda against Maguire ? And no it's not. If Lindelof had made a similar change, he would have been slaughtered even more.

Idxomer

There was a stonewall penalty a minute earlier.

Also, this somehow ended with a foul against Martial.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Commentators had no idea what they were talking about. He slid in front of the player, took the ball and then the player. Good, hard and clean challenge. Had he been running towards the player and made that challenge then different story. But it was never a penalty if onside...

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The tackle was probably harder than it needed to be but Maguire did well there.

No surprise Everton stopped with their thuggish behaviour once Maguire showed that he'll dish them out back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If that had been Lindelof he would have been slaughtered ten times and it would have been alright but since it's Maguire it's not ?
I don't think there was anything in it, irrespective of who did it.

fps

I reckon he did it knowing he couldn't be touched for it without exposing the hypocrisy of him not being given a pen at the other end.

Red_toad

pen

clipped the ball but studs and gets the man which is dangerous play
Was offside you cannot win a penalty from offside. I’d suggest you go read up on the rules.

Got to the ball first and played it fairly.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Over the years, pundits repeating over and over that any challenge on the ball is never a foul has basically brainwashed viewers. I have never seen it as a rule written that if a player gets the ball first then whatever happens afterwards between the playes is basically ok.
Maguire got very very lucky