That Maguire challenge on Digne

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What is the problem? He touched the ball first, it’s a clear tackle. If he touched the leg after he touched the ball doesn’t matter
As @Rado_N pointed out, touching the ball does not mean a great tackle, especially if you munch someone after.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Over the years, pundits repeating over and over that any challenge on the ball is never a foul has basically brainwashed viewers. I have never seen it as a rule written that if a player gets the ball first then whatever happens afterwards between the playes is basically ok.
Maguire got very very lucky
Not commenting on the individual challenge that this thread is referring to, but you’re absolutely right. It can be seen in this thread where they believe getting the ball first means no matter what follows it can’t be a red. Pundits in general have an awful grasp of the rules of the games (which can admittedly be opaque).

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As @Rado_N pointed out, touching the ball does not mean a great tackle, especially if you munch someone after.
I really don’t understand where this myth comes from.

I mean I’m not necessarily saying this one WAS excessive force, but I don’t think it’s clearly not and I certainly don’t think it was a “great challenge”.

People just saying “he got the ball, case closed” seemingly don’t know the rules.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I really don’t understand where this myth comes from.

I mean I’m not necessarily saying this one WAS excessive force, but I don’t think it’s clearly not and I certainly don’t think it was a “great challenge”.

People just saying “he got the ball, case closed” seemingly don’t know the rules.
You've answered your own question. Loads of people don't know the rules (plus there's this increasing tendency to look for the negative in all we do by some).

I see what people mean about the contact after (and you're absolutely right, you can get the ball and give away a foul) but don't think this tackle is malicious or even a foul myself.

patty123

Everton have been playing like thugs for weeks and start whinging as soon as it gets given back to them. That challenge never happens if Pickford and Keane don't clatter Maguire.
Spot on, as look at the first half and calvert lewin goes down without being touched, then that tosser james does it, fast forward to second half and Bruno does it and the tosser james goes ape and starts dragging Bruno up by the shirt, bollox, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Nick7

Current rules it’s a penalty, but that’s utter bollocks to be honest.

Davie Moyes

Perfect tackle. Won the ball and took some of the man too. Could not believe VAR took so long considering it. We don't see enough of these from our players. The Utd teams of old would out run, out tackle, out fight and out play teams.

A few of these committed challenges can get the fans (not currently) and team mates going whilst at the same time let's the opposition know we mean business and are up for it (this can especially help against smaller teams who think they may have caught us on an off day).

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I swear this is almost too dumbfounding for me. I mean, how can you call that anything but a great great tackle?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I swear this is almost too dumbfounding for me. I mean, how can you call that anything but a great great tackle?
People trying to make every slide tackle into some sort of violent assault.

The best response I've seen (elsewhere) on this was "If Maguire had been a few inches to the left and a few inches higher he could have done serious damage.." I mean what the feck kind of argument is that

Strelok

Got the ball first, didn't raise his leg high. I understand the worry of injury but it's football. Even if he broke Digne's leg it was just an accident. He went for the ball not Digne's leg, and he got the ball. It was simply a very good tackle.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Over the years, pundits repeating over and over that any challenge on the ball is never a foul has basically brainwashed viewers. I have never seen it as a rule written that if a player gets the ball first then whatever happens afterwards between the playes is basically ok.
Maguire got very very lucky
Of course it can still be a foul or red card even if the tackler gets the ball first. I've made that argument myself numerous times in the past where a blatantly dangerous tackle should be punished even though they did win the ball.

This tackle isn't one of them. Nothing wrong with it.

NotThatSoph

If it was a red card challenge then it would have been given even if offside, but it probably wasn't a red card challenge.

It would have been a pretty clear penalty with no offside, or at minimum not a wrong decision if it was given, but thankfully that wasn't a relevant factor. I'm pretty dumbfounded over all the talk about "getting the ball". If he didn't get the ball then it would obviously have been a foul, but getting the ball is not enough to make the tackle legitimate. He forcefully takes out Digne, which is dodgy at the best of times, but more importantly he didn't take him out as a consequence of getting the ball. He marginally touches the ball with the right side of his boot when his foot is moving away from the ball and towards Digne. When he takes him out the ball is like a yard away, it's a bad tackle.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course it can still be a foul or red card even if the tackler gets the ball first. I've made that argument myself numerous times in the past where a blatantly dangerous tackle should be punished even though they did win the ball.

This tackle isn't one of them. Nothing wrong with it.
I don't agree with it but it doesn't matter anyway

James Peril

What is the problem? He touched the ball first, it’s a clear tackle. If he touched the leg after he touched the ball doesn’t matter
Factually very wrong, but don’t let science, rules etc get in the way of your feelings.

kiristao

He didn't just touch the ball did he? He got enough of the ball to completely change the direction of the ball in a 50-50 challenge and then made strong contact with the strikers foot.
It's not like he was in the air two footed or that he slid from behind and caught the standing leg of the striker.

Tony247

Great tackle. Cannot be red. Unfortunate but unavoidable harsh contact in the follow through. But that's football. It is a physical game.

What pickford did was totally different. It was a dangerous tackle from the word go.

Strelok

If it was a red card challenge then it would have been given even if offside, but it probably wasn't a red card challenge.

It would have been a pretty clear penalty with no offside, or at minimum not a wrong decision if it was given, but thankfully that wasn't a relevant factor. I'm pretty dumbfounded over all the talk about "getting the ball". If he didn't get the ball then it would obviously have been a foul, but getting the ball is not enough to make the tackle legitimate. He forcefully takes out Digne, which is dodgy at the best of times, but more importantly he didn't take him out as a consequence of getting the ball. He marginally touches the ball with the right side of his boot when his foot is moving away from the ball and towards Digne. When he takes him out the ball is like a yard away, it's a bad tackle.
Case 1: He didn't get the ball and brought down Digne. He didn't raise his leg. Clear penalty if not offside. Because he had obstructed the movement of a player within the penalty area which could lead to a goal. Where the ball would probably ended up within the possession of Digne if he had not brought down Digne. With probably a yellow.

Case 2: He got the ball but brought down Digne. His leg was high. Probably a red card because that's a tackle that would seriously injure opponent player. At least a yellow. No penalty as he was penalized for the behaviour only. The ball was in possession of Maguire.

Case 3: He got the ball, his leg was low. Offside or not it's never a penalty or a card.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't believe taking the player out was at the forefront of his mind when making that challenge. Maguire is not the vindictive type from the what I've seen of him.

Several unnamed Greek police officers may disagree with me on that though.

norm87cro

I call b... on this thread because of three major factors that play into it:
1) A possible penalty on Maguire just minutes before
2) An obvious offside before the tackle
3) It was still on the ball prior to the man

Whenever we win we still have threads like this. When we lose its the end of life as we know it

trailertrash

Supports
Bayern Munich
LOL@ great tackle, if it was vice-verca, whole forum would be fuming and calling for Dignes head and asking for a season long ban. Get real..

choccy77

Do we actually know what should happen when the flag is up too late and there's a red card foul?

Looks like it doesn't count and we understand that the player, who unfortunately gets injured, has simply a bad luck, right?
Unless you're an Everton Keeper, you can be given a Red card or booking.

NotThatSoph

Case 1: He didn't get the ball and brought down Digne. He didn't raise his leg. Clear penalty if not offside. Because he had obstructed the movement of a player within the penalty area which could lead to a goal. Where the ball would probably ended up within the possession of Digne if he had not brought down Digne. With probably a yellow.

Case 2: He got the ball but brought down Digne. His leg was high. Probably a red card because that's a tackle that would seriously injure opponent player. At least a yellow. No penalty as he was penalized for the behaviour only. The ball was in possession of Maguire.

Case 3: He got the ball, his leg was low. Offside or not it's never a penalty or a card.
Touching the ball with a low leg does not make it not a foul. You have to know this.

NotThatSoph

In that case sliding tackle should has been banned from the game long ago.
No, in a lot of instances touching the ball with your leg low will not be a foul. In some instances it will be. It's not a very complicated concept.

mattsville

It was a perfectly timed tackle, got the ball, cameras can see that, you get the ball or you don't, the ferocity of the tackle is irrelevant.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I thought it was a good tackle, not a great one. As @Rado_N said, he was lucky to get some of the ball and because he wasn;t perfect he caught Digne rather messily

Had he cleared the ball cleanly and crushed Digne, then it would have been a great challenge and he probably wouldn't have been reviewed because the contact wouuld have been cleaner.

Dominos

I missed the game so this is the first time I've seen it.

I cannot fathom how anyone could think that is a red card :lol: I was expecting a follow through whereby he plant his studs mid-shin for a potential leg breaker.