That Rooney vs Ronaldo World Cup 2006 incident

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What was your reaction to it back then? I'm curious to know how some people felt at the time. I was only 10 when it happened and I recall everyone being sure Ronaldo was going to leave that same summer. Did some of you (England fan base) want him gone at the time? Also curious what our fanbase outside of England thought too.

izec

I was a teenager back then. I remember it well. I thought it wasnt a big deal once they both would meet up at United. I know the commentator i listened to made a big deal out of it, but i always thought a few weeks/months down the line, it wouldnt be an issue.

fergies coat

I remember the David Beckham one at France 98. That was 100 times worse. The abuse he got was shocking. It shows what a character he is to turn it all around.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Always thought Rooney handled it well after the fact.

In hindsight it just exemplified how much winning meant to Ronaldo even in the infancy of his career.

I remember being worried, for whatever reason, that Ronaldo may leave - so glad Fergie was having none of it.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Clear Red card.

100% Rooney's fault. It was a disgraceful stamp.

Probably why Rooney didn't make a big deal out of it afterwards.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Stevie Me was like if he was Rooney, he'd never speak to Ronaldo...cnut.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The English pundits and fans are hilarious.

Who is the woman who says 'The ref wasnt gonna send him off, it was only until ronaldo came and did this *gestures arms open*'

Is she having a laugh?

ifightdragons

Rooney deserved a red card and even a 3-5 match ban. Horrendous challenge. Come on, studs to the groin!?

Ronaldo wanted to win, like he always has and always will, and did whatever he could. It would be wrong to expect otherwise from him. It’s that very drive that makes him the player he was and still is.

The red card was well deserved. And they both got over it quickly. Laughable overreaction from English pundits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kostur

海尔的老板
The English pundits and fans are hilarious.

Who is the woman who says 'The ref wasnt gonna send him off, it was only until ronaldo came and did this *gestures arms open*'

Is she having a laugh?
Did you just assume their gender you sexist pig? Check your privilege.

El Zoido

It was definitely a red card, I was more annoyed with Rooney. This is sport, Portugal (and Ronaldo) played him like a fiddle. They knew they could get him to react like that and he took the bait.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Did you just assume their gender you sexist pig? Check your privilege.
no mate you got the dates wrong. This video was from before everyone born after the year 2000 turned 18, so we are allowed to call her a woman and base her gender on her private parts.

mu4c_20le

Hilarious. I was laughing my arse off at Rooney being so naive, and Ronaldo being cheeky. Good times.

SirAF

Ageist
Rooney deserved a red card and even a 3-5 match ban. Horrendous challenge. Come on, studs to the groin!?

Ronaldo wanted to win, like he always has and always will, and did whatever he could. It would be wrong to expect otherwise from him. It’s that very drive that makes him the player he was and still is.

The red card was well deserved. And they both got over it quickly. Laughable overreaction from English pundits.
This.

MikeeMike

Both Red cards.. Both succumbed to baiting. Foul on Becks by Simeone was nearly a Red. If he’d just stayed down. Rooney - Dont even know why he stamped .. was only a tussle.
Just to add - Ince and Batty lost the game in 98 ultimately. Two worst pens ever.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Fecking heck. So much drama and so much hype I actually forgot that 1) it was actually a foul and 2) it wasn’t on Ronaldo.

If Rooney has done what Ronaldo did the focus would be on the foul that Ronaldo committed.. not Rooney complaining to the referee or winking.

Last edited:

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I was convinced (and supportive of the fact) that Ronaldo would never play for United again.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I was ready to throw all my toys out of the pram in anticipation of Ronnie leaving.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Just gutted England went down to ten men. I think they lost the game when that happened.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"He winked!!!!!!!!!"

"Yeah but the other guy just stamped on yer mans balls!"

I love videos like this where they get a load of people, who have no idea what they're talking about to give their opinion.

Kostov

I remember what an absolute prick Ronaldo was and still is. What he did to a teammate was disgraceful, his fanboys should actually admit that. Never actually liked him that much after this, I was always the Rooney fan more myself.

Irwin99

I remember Alan Shearer, with his usual intelligence and insight, said in the aftermath that there was every chance that Rooney would go back to United and ‘stick one on Ronaldo’. He actually said that. Rooney stamps on someone’s balls, is rightly red carded, and suddenly it’s all Ronaldo’s fault :lol: . He ran up to the referee to complain. That was it. Even Rooney later admitted he tried to influence referees himself and that it really wasn’t a big deal.

The narrative of injustice was truly remarkable when in actual fact England were shite in that tournament, with Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard in particular in terrible form.

Anyway, the whole incident just seemed to inspire Ronaldo even more as he went to have his best season at United :devil: all’s well that ends well.

marktan

I was 12 so I remember asking God if he existed to let us win on penalties against Portugal (or was that 2004?) and that I'd never doubt him if we did.. course we lost.

The winking incident barely registered with me, all I remember from Ronaldo that year was turning into an outstanding winger. Sometimes I feel like the press choses a person or persons to villify and then they run with it, I didn't read papers back then obviously so none of that hit me, but the sort of narratives that get built up are a probably a bit akin to what Harry and Meghan face in the press these days. Unfortunately for them they can't turn into a 40 goal scoring, CL winning balloon dor winner to stop any negativity.

FujiVice

We should have shithoused our way to a world cup win with that back 4. We didnt conceed even with 10 men against them. Neville, Terry, Ferdinand and Cole with Hargreaves in front of them and Crouch up front. That's proper akward, all time cnut formula that.

thepolice123

It was blown out of proportion by the media. It was a nasty stamp by Rooney and exemplified what a hot-head he was back then.

Ronaldo's performance at that world cup also had me convinced that he would have a breakthrough season with us. He was a different player from the season before.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its a clear red card any week any day, Rooney deserved to be sent off, totally. Not even a question. In fact, he was lucky he didn't get a 5 match ban from it.

Ronaldo should stay less vocal there though, they were teammates afterall. The reaction is not necessary. The wink is quite disrespectful.

I remember it has cost Ronaldo not being voted for young player of tournament, or team of tournament, or something, out of moral reason. But Rooney should be the one to get the blame. I don't understand why they all blame Ronaldo instead. I mean, he has violently stamped someone's groin on the floor, is it even acceptable in football? It's like watching WWE.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I never thought it was Ronaldo's fault. Either the ref saw it or he didn't, if he didn't see it he wouldn't have sent him off. If he saw it its a clear red. Nothing Ronaldo did made any difference IMO, though he was obviously a massive cnut about it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even then I thought it was blown over the top. I recall being at college and fellow United fans hating on Cristiano and said they never want him to play for the club. One even said “going by his performance against France, he’s gonna be shit from now on anyway” :lol:

kambinks

Think its not a United fans hating Ronaldo thing but more England fans hating him. If i remembered it correctly most fans were behind Ronaldo staying really especially after Fergie made it clear he has Ronnies back. Pundits reaction was normal really back then most live coverage was from Sky or BBC which mostly backed England to win it. I think Ronaldo had it tough from the press and the fans wherever we played.

Didn't mind him gone though back then for some reason. Probably thought he was more of a show pony than an actual effective player then.

Lynty

Ronaldo would throw his mom under the bus if it got him a win.

But non-United fans hated Ronny anyway, this just gave them a semi-plausible reason to hate him more. I was annoyed that he went running to the ref, just stay out of it and let your teammates do it - but I was more nervous he'd leave in the summer.

I imagine Rooney did catch hold of him though. Don't think he's the type of guy who would let that slip without a kick in the shins at next training.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What did Ronaldo do wrong here?

He did what any player should do, putting pressure on the ref to make decisions has been a part of the game forever. Rooney did it all the time. Neville, Keane, all of them.

It's international football, in that moment Rooney and Ronaldo aren't team mates. Both playing for United doesn't matter. And it's not like Ronaldo was trying to con the referee. A red card offence actually happened.

POF

The Portuguese got him sent off! Carvalho, that utter cheat. Deliberately thrusting his testicles under Rooney's boot!

People wonder why Rooney's legacy doesn't seem to fit his career at United. It's at least partly due to nonsense like this.

The agenda that surrounded him painted him as something he wasn't, irrespective of what happened on the pitch. It was an expectation that he could only ever fail to meet. "Rooney, the world class superstar was about to fire England to world cup glory until those cheating Portuguese got him sent off".

Rather than "indisciplined hot headed kid stamps on opponent's balls and is rightly sent off. England lose a quarter final and were no closer to winning the world cup than the other 3 losing quarter finalists who were also justifiably knocked out".

Cloud7

It was a clear red card, and I thought the wink was quite funny. Never felt any negativity towards Ronaldo after this.

LARulz

I am part Portuguese so was going to win either way. But at that time, Rooney was still seen as the greater prospect so of it came to either I was convinced we had to keep Rooney over Ronaldo. I think people are looking back in hindsight saying it was over the top (it was looking back) but there was clear anger and even hatred by many - including United fans. This was England's golden generation and people cared about international football more than they do now.

I also stress again, Ronaldo was showing his monster qualities but became the beast after this incident, before and during Rooney was still seen as the better prospect.

I was annoyed it was both our top prospects and even though I was a "winner" either way, I was enraged at the wink. Not because he did it to help his team win (i'd expect nothing less), but that it was against his club team mate. If he did it regarding Gerrard or whatever I wouldn't have cared at all.

Ultimately it was handled excellently by all involved after - credit goes to them all

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I was worried Ronaldo was going to leave. It was a clear red card and Ronaldo really didn't do anything wrong. Blown out of proportion by the media.

Deery

Dreary
Remember the papers at the time calling him the winker, obviously meaning something else.

But, it was this tournament we all knew Ronaldo was going to be a star so not much was thought of it.