That treble season...

Yagami

Good post resistant
This is getting ridiculous now.

Going into the game, Juventus were the Serie A champions and runners up of the previous CL, were they not? They had made the final 3 consecutive years at that point.

Opposition fans trying to cheapen our run is mental.

Imagine joining an Arsenal forum to say that the invincibles aren't as good as Arsenal fans think. Or joining a Madrid forum to say that their 3 consecutive CLs weren't that impressive because they only won the league once in that time.

The cheek!

macheda14

Really? Mate, I didn't know
Yeah, although they actually gave Wenger the trophy as a parting gift when he left the club. It remains to be seen whether the next team to go invincible also receives a gold trophy. I’d imagine they would

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why are you completely ignoring the fact that Serie A back then used to have 6-7 teams that were strong enough to challenge for the title?
https://myoutlookonfootball.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/a-golden-era-of-serie-a-the-seven-sisters/
I'm not. Juventus didn't come close to challenging for the title. It was a team at the end of a cycle, with a manager that was leaving at the end of the season and then announced in December he was going to inter of all teams, who spent half the season feuding with his players and the other half(until he was sacked/resigned) feuding with management. The change in coach did improve them but never to a point where they were truly a great side. Or at least not on the level of the actual great sides in Italy that season

If you're counting that juventus side as a great team you should do the same for barcelona 07/08(same situation, actually better team), or real madrid or last season or this one, or barcelona of the last 2 seasons, etc...
And the World Cup winning captain Deschamps. Either way they had incredible experience at the highest level right through the side. They were bookies favourites. They may have been having an off-season domestically but I remember Gary Neville's reaction when finding out Juventus had got out of the group stages and he rolled his eyes and sighed, which pretty much summed it up for Utd fans and all the other sides left in the competition. Juventus was the team you didn't want to play against in the knock outs.
Yeah, and real madrid was coming off 3 straight CL wins last season. Great side?
Going into the game, Juventus were the Serie A champions and runners up of the previous CL, were they not? They had made the final 3 consecutive years at that point.
See above
Just demonstrates how strong the Italian league was back then.
Eeeeh. I actually think that was the season when the power started to shift from italy to spain. I'd say barcelona were probably better than any italian side that season. United obviously as well, and Bayern

Maybe lazio was at that level

No but yeah, maybe the top wasn't quite THE top but definitely the teams below(parma, fiorentina, roma, bologna, etc) were still the best around. Probably. I mean two teams in the UEFA semis and won both the UEFA and CWC(though this was lazio) so...

marktan

Was too young for 99 but 08 should have been a treble as well. Battered Portsmouth and got robbed of a clear penalty. I'm glad I caught the last 8 years of our success, doubt there'll be anything like SAF ever again.

big rons sovereign

Was too young for 99 but 08 should have been a treble as well. Battered Portsmouth and got robbed of a clear penalty. I'm glad I caught the last 8 years of our success, doubt there'll be anything like SAF ever again.
Atkinson. Another stitch up in a long line of stitch ups from that cretin.
Interesting thing is that Hansen and McCarthy, both defenders think it's nailed on, whereas Shearer, a bellend, thinks it isn't.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is getting ridiculous now.

Opposition fans trying to cheapen our run is mental.

Imagine joining an Arsenal forum to say that the invincibles aren't as good as Arsenal fans think. Or joining a Madrid forum to say that their 3 consecutive CLs weren't that impressive because they only won the league once in that time.

The cheek!
Arsenal weren't actually as good as their fans reckon though, as they only won the league. I always wonder how you can claim to be "Invincible" when you've lost in 3 separate cups?
Would you prefer a league without losing a game, or 2-3 trophies? Not really a debate.

Although I get your point, you wouldn't sign up just to put them down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
08 showed winning a treble comes down to way more than just having the best team.
You need fate to fall your way, as in cups a decision, or a break of a fall can ruck you up, as seen in that Portsmouth game.

This is why winning a treble has only been done the once, and is an incredible achievement.
When you remember back to 99, and think of that late Arsenal pen in the FA cup, or being 2-0 down in Europe, or Basler (?) hitting the bar in the final when they were 1-0 up, to that ball not falling perfectly for Sheringham to swing in for the equaliser....

Just phew!

Thisistheone

Yeah, and real madrid was coming off 3 straight CL wins last season. Great side?
That Juventus side didn't lose a Cristiano Ronaldo though did they. They lost Del Piero to injury but thats nothing like losing CR7.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That Juventus side didn't lose a Cristiano Ronaldo though did they. They lost Del Piero to injury but thats nothing like losing CR7.
That juventus side also didn't have Ramos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Kroos, Benzema, Bale, Asensio and Isco though. Besides Davids and Zidane they didn't have all that much. And before you go about Zidane vs Modric(both won the ballon d'or midseason) i'll just mention now that Zidane had perhaps the one outright poor season of his career, too

Besides, yeah, it wasn't much different given Del Piero was their best player, talisman and top scorer...

Thisistheone

That juventus side also didn't have Ramos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Kroos, Benzema, Bale, Asensio and Isco though. Besides Davids and Zidane they didn't have all that much. And before you go about Zidane vs Modric(both won the ballon d'or midseason) i'll just mention now that Zidane had perhaps the one outright poor season of his career, too

Besides, yeah, it wasn't much different given Del Piero was their best player, talisman and top scorer...
Sure mate but they were still a top class side no matter what you say. I remember the 2 legs like it was yesterday and we were right up against it despite having a brilliant side ourselves.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sure mate but they were still a top class side no matter what you say. I remember the 2 legs like it was yesterday and we were right up against it despite having a brilliant side ourselves.
I don't think they were brilliant at all - and that's based on watching them throughout the season, not just 2 games - but no matter, that's irrelevant to my point

Thisistheone

I don't think they were brilliant at all - and that's based on watching them throughout the season, not just 2 games - but no matter, that's irrelevant to my point
We'll agree to disagree then.

They gave us hell of a game at Old Trafford and there was massive relief when Giggs got a late equalizer. We went 2-0 down there. They almost beat us and thats one of the great Ferguson teams.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We'll agree to disagree then.

They gave us hell of a game at Old Trafford and there was massive relief when Giggs got a late equalizer. We went 2-0 down there. They almost beat us and thats one of the great Ferguson teams.
And 10/11 barcelona beat arsenal 4-3 on aggregate and helped along by a ridiculous red card

That juventus side? Barely scraped by Olympiakos in the QF

They were by far the weakest team in the SF

Thisistheone

And 10/11 barcelona beat arsenal 4-3 on aggregate and helped along by a ridiculous red card

So weak they were minutes away from another final.

Thisistheone

And chelsea won it in 2012...
Oh, so that Chelsea side the previous 3 years had won it, and reach the other 2 finals as well had they?

Come on.

You're also missing the human element involved in the tie, for Utd and their fans that Juventus team was our nemesis in Europe. They meant a great deal to our players & Ferguson who'd tried so hard against them before but came up short. They were the yardstick in Europe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh, so that Chelsea side the previous 3 years had won it, and reach the other 2 finals as well had they?
And we're back to real madrid...or if you prefer, milan 07/08

You're also missing the human element involved in the tie, for Utd and their fans that Juventus team was our nemesis in Europe. They meant a great deal to our players & Ferguson who'd tried so hard against them before but came up short. They were the yardstick in Europe.
I'm not, the human element as you put it was the only reason the tie was close. Because the teams were not. Ultimately there were 4 really great teams in CL that season. 3 made the SF, the other had the bad luck of being drawn into a group with 2 others

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Arsenal weren't actually as good as their fans reckon though, as they only won the league. I always wonder how you can claim to be "Invincible" when you've lost in 3 separate cups?
Would you prefer a league without losing a game, or 2-3 trophies? Not really a debate.

Although I get your point, you wouldn't sign up just to put them down.
Dont get me started on this, the should be called the nearly invincibles, proper invincibles would have won every competition they were in.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Pep's City are the best PL team as they are the only to have achieved 100 points. We're talking about best team in the PL, not best team in PL and other cups. Last season's Liverpool were clearly better than Chelsea as the points show. Don't know about this season. We could get 102+ points or finish on 89.
Points can’t be taken out of context like this. Man City cheated to have a squad that was strong enough to battle in numerous competitions at once. They never had to field an understrength team in the league.

Liverpool have had to tank other competitions to fully focus. I am not going to be like others and play down their achievement. Liverpool are an impressive team, but the schedule and trophies of that United treble team put them ahead of any others.

Snuffkin

But the schedule and trophies of that United treble team put them ahead of any others.
I don't think anyone would disagree, but we didn't have financial fair play to worry about. We were a team with a diverse range of players from many nationalities and we could have afforded anybody who took our fancy. We should have made hay and won the next couple of champions league trophies. But no one would say the treble was anything but an amazing achievement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dont get me started on this, the should be called the nearly invincibles, proper invincibles would have won every competition they were in.
Having been in their end v United at the Emirates for 6-7 of the last 8 years, i find it hilarious they throw off our 20 times, as being ancient history, then go back way further for their "invincible" season.

Out of all the big clubs I think i'd be most worried about being an Arsenal fan. I just can't see them getting back to the top.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Having been in their end v United at the Emirates for 6-7 of the last 8 years, i find it hilarious they throw off our 20 times, as being ancient history, then go back way further for their "invincible" season.

Out of all the big clubs I think i'd be most worried about being an Arsenal fan. I just can't see them getting back to the top.
I always felt they were punching above their weight under Wenger.......

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I don't think anyone would disagree, but we didn't have financial fair play to worry about. We were a team with a diverse range of players from many nationalities and we could have afforded anybody who took our fancy. We should have made hay and won the next couple of champions league trophies. But no one would say the treble was anything but an amazing achievement.
We played by the rules as they were at the time, and have always played by them. We spent money that was ours to spend, but also had half a team full of local players and cheaper British/Irish buys.

We did it the right way.

kidbob

So what you're saying is that United 08-11 were the best team ever because we won it in 08, in 09 we should have been facing Chelsea (if not for Uefa Spanish cheating) and in 11 we should have won it agin for the same Uefa Spanish preference?

You know what though, you're 11 European titles are bullshit when for 5 of them you played no one and for the last 3 under Zidane you were never actually the best side in the competition at all. So when push comes to shove Madrid have 'actually' won 3 european trophies.

Edit: you're first 5 CL wins were bullshit and there is every chance that if a certain plane crash never happened that Madrid would be below United for totals. But I guess the teams you beat back then were better than Inter and Juve in 99? If you want to take this course then the fact is most of Madrid's European titles are bullshit. And you all had the 'luck' of a apparently incredible team dying in an accident.

Or you know what you can stop claiming that teams with Zannetti, Ronaldo, Zidane and Davids were not 'great' teams and forget all this and accept that the United treble team were in fact incredible. If it makes you feel better then the Barca 11 team were the best club team ever, it may not be Madrid but at least it's Spanish. I'm sure most posters here will accept them as the best without needing to undermine them.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So what you're saying is that United 08-11 were the best team ever because we won it in 08, in 09 we should have been facing Chelsea (if not for Uefa Spanish cheating) and in 11 we should have won it agin for the same Uefa Spanish preference?

You know what though, you're 11 European titles are bullshit when for 5 of them you played no one and for the last 3 under Zidane you were never actually the best side in the competition at all. So when push comes to shove Madrid have 'actually' won 3 european trophies.

Edit: you're first 5 CL wins were bullshit and there is every chance that if a certain plane crash never happened that Madrid would be below United for totals. But I guess the teams you beat back then were better than Inter and Juve in 99? If you want to take this course then the fact is most of Madrid's European titles are bullshit. And you all had the 'luck' of a apparently incredible team dying in an accident.

Or you know what you can stop claiming that teams with Zannetti, Ronaldo, Zidane and Davids were not 'great' teams and forget all this and accept that the United treble team were in fact incredible. If it makes you feel better then the Barca 11 team were the best club team ever, it may not be Madrid but at least it's Spanish. I'm sure most posters here will accept them as the best without needing to undermine them.
That sure is a lot of words to counter a point i never made

Question: why is it that teams with zanetti, ronaldo, baggio or zidane, davids and del piero are great teams but teams with messi, griezmann and suarez or one with kroos, casemiro and hazard are not?

caid

Inter were Inter in 99. They had lots of great players but were their usual underachieving, less than the sum of their parts selves. So fair enough beating them wasn't a huge achievement, they were merely good. Juventus were having a rough season and a lot of players were coming to the end of their career. But they'd sorted most of their problems by the time we played them and they were pretty bloody good in both legs. A team with their line up was always capable of clicking and performing when they needed to, they were quite like the recent Real team in that regard. Half their line up were World Cup finalists or Champions League winners. 'Only' beating Olympiakos is nothing to be sneezed at, Olympiakos were quite good that year, so were Dynamo Kiev. I suppose its easy to underrate them now but if you watched them at the time then you're just trolling really.
In terms of runs to the final its kind of hard to disregard a line up with Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Juventus and Inter Milan. Theres no era that would be straightforward or easy.

TheReligion

Abusive

Question: why is it that teams with zanetti, ronaldo, baggio or zidane, davids and del piero are great teams but teams with messi, griezmann and suarez or one with kroos, casemiro and hazard are not?
Because the former are better players? Bar Messi of course.

kidbob

You see I don't think any of those teams are not great. However you are the one who thinks that teams like Inter and Juve weren't great and that it somehow takes away from United's achievement. So using that logic then every Madrid european win except 3 is not worth mentioning. Simple as that.

Or you know what I think is better? Both teams deserve big credit for what they achieved and it just so happens United 99 are by far the most successful English team ever who deserve credit as being the best until some other team achieves what they did. and the Madrid 3 in a row team were also excellent (are as this Liverpool team to a current lesser extent).

Ergo anyone can diminish any teams achievements with mostly worthless nuances.

Dion

Juventus did what Milan did in 07 and just put all their eggs in the CL basket. Anyone who was actually around then could tell you they were still the ones to beat.

Gazza

Juventus played superbly in the first leg of that semi final at Old Trafford. They may have had a poor season overall but on their day they were still a major threat.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because the former are better players? Bar Messi of course.
Look up the whole squads and if you think inter and juventus had the better players, fair enough. We disagree
However you are the one who thinks that teams like Inter and Juve weren't great and that it somehow takes away from United's achievement.
I really, really don't
Juventus played superbly in the first leg of that semi final at Old Trafford. They may have had a poor season overall but on their day they were still a major threat.
I think it was more a matter of you being poor, particularly the first half. Was similar in the second leg as well. You were terrified and both times it took time and desperation before you settled your nerves and started playing like yourselves(and both times you completely took over as soon as you did)

Anyways, sure, of course. Once again, irrelevant to my point though

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The CL final result was a bit jammy though, if we are being honest.

Good side though and they beat some good teams during that CL run.