The 12th July in N Ireland

Rooney24

Its that time of year again.

"Cultural highlights" this year include banners on bonfires saying "Scott Sinclair loves bananas" and a coffin with a picture of Martin McGuinness on it.

Unbelievable. Place has light years to go before it becomes a normal functioning society.

RedTiger

Half mast

"Cultural highlights" this year include banners on bonfires saying "Scott Sinclair loves bananas" and a coffin with a picture of Martin McGuinness on it.

Unbelievable. Place has light years to go before it becomes a normal functioning society.
Scott Sinclair the footballer? That's very clever isn't it:rolleyes:

buckooo1978

it's a disgrace

A PSNI spokeswoman said: "We take hate crime very seriously and actively investigate all incidents reported to us. Hate crime is wrong on all levels and the PSNI will do everything it can to ensure that everyone, from whatever background, can live free from prejudice, fear and discrimination."

yet year after year the Police turn a blind eye to blatant racism, sectarianism, crime, public disorder with the clean up paid for by the tax payer too

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief

"we're not racist just don't like cotton picking niggers"

like, no shame, at all? i believe this is one from last year but the scott sinclair one is recent.

fergosaurus

As someone brought up in a Potestant community it makes me cringe so much. All this time of the year does here is cause more division and gives people in masses the impression that it's acceptable to be racist and bigoted. If it was up to me I'd ban all bonfires and parades. They bring more harm than good, all they are is gloating exercises which give small-minded idiots a platform to spout their sectarian ideology and keep this country in the dark ages.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
the north is a backwards shithole* that's suffered years of neglect by Westminster. for me it serves as a reminder of how lucky we were in the south to gain independence.

* although parts of Derry and Belfast are nice, tbf.

Blind

There has been a few positive stories since they started calling it 'Orangefest' (I know), but for the most part it's still a stain on the country and butchers the legacy of an important moment in British history.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Not all of the society has light years to go stop painting with a broad brush

Ramshock

the north is a backwards shithole* that's suffered years of neglect by Westminster. for me it serves as a reminder of how lucky we were in the south to gain independence.

What is it with you and slabbering about the north? Like life in the south is that much better being constantly fecked over by a FF / FG gangbang.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What is it with you and slabbering about the north? Like life in the south is that much better being constantly fecked over by a FF / FG gangbang.
It kinda is, though. You need only cross the border and see how awful your roads are compared to ours to see how neglected the north has been by Westminster.

EDIT: FWIW I like parts of the North - Derry and Belfast have some great spots to go out in/visit, I just find it frustrating to still see such divide there and see it neglected as it has been. If only we could have a unified country, but that'll never happen.

Ramshock

it's a disgrace

A PSNI spokeswoman said: "We take hate crime very seriously and actively investigate all incidents reported to us. Hate crime is wrong on all levels and the PSNI will do everything it can to ensure that everyone, from whatever background, can live free from prejudice, fear and discrimination."

yet year after year the Police turn a blind eye to blatant racism, sectarianism, crime, public disorder with the clean up paid for by the tax payer too
Look whilst I dont agree that triumphalist marching and bonfires constitutes culture thats what that community thinks it is. So they should be allowed to do it.

However bonfires should be safe, environmentally harmless and effigy free and marches should be held in their own areas.

Ramshock

It kinda is, though. You need only cross the border and see how awful your roads are compared to ours to see how neglected the north has been by Westminster.

EDIT: FWIW I like parts of the North - Derry and Belfast have some great spots to go out in/visit, I just find it frustrating to still see such divide there and see it neglected as it has been. If only we could have a unified country, but that'll never happen.
I dont know what roads you mean i only go down through Newry usually but it did used to be the reverse. Of course I want a United country but stop digging out the north its not that bad.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Aye. Any time the idea of a United Ireland is mentioned I imagine sharing a state with some of these shitehawks..... *shudder*

buckooo1978

Look whilst I dont agree that triumphalist marching and bonfires constitutes culture thats what that community thinks it is. So they should be allowed to do it.

However bonfires should be safe, environmentally harmless and effigy free and marches should be held in their own areas.
yes I agree

I was referring to racism, sectarianism, crime, public disorder with the clean up paid for by the tax payer

if anyone wants to stage an event it should be a decent, hate free event with responsibility taken for the clean up

Frank Grimes

Always seemed dumb to me to place tricolours all over a bonfire. Looks like a nationalist rally for weeks and then they burn it, so weeks of flying they flag obviously despise. Not too clever.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
We get the parades on our town too, always have. They come in from Liverpool. When I was a girl, they used to stay all day, get drunk and cause problems. Now, the police get them back on the trains PDQ.

I've no idea why it's still allowed - presumably because they've been doing it for such a long time.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Not a fan of bonfires. Particularly the huge monstrosities that get built in N.Ireland. This is a Catholic bonfire to mark internment day. It's usually a minority from both sides who are responsible for such events.

Rooney24

So instead of asking people to exercise common sense and build a bonfire away from peoples properties, its preferable to write to the residents and tell them to evacuate because there is a health and safety risk and a risk of damage to their property.

Madness.

Genuine question from a foreigner: does the rest of the UK see N.Ireland as an embarrassment?
I don't think we see them as anything. In the nicest possible way, I think people in the UK forget they're there most of the time.

Art Vandelay

I don't think we see them as anything. In the nicest possible way, I think people in the UK forget they're there most of the time.
We've got feelings you know!

I don't think the rest of the UK really know the depths of stupidity that goes on here and if they did hear about it they would assume it was a wind up. I sometimes play Xbox in a group with a guy from Belfast and two guys from over the water. One night the guy from Belfast mentioned something about it kicking off in Belfast and I said it's the same here I can hear the police helicopter fairly close. They couldn't believe it and were oblivious to what goes on here, they thought we were joking at first.

I can't imagine having to explain parades, flags and bon fires to someone that's not grown up with it. It would be embarrassing for me, nevermind the rest of the UK.

stevoc

So instead of asking people to exercise common sense and build a bonfire away from peoples properties, its preferable to write to the residents and tell them to evacuate because there is a health and safety risk and a risk of damage to their property.

Madness.
Only in Northern Ireland would people be forced from their homes instead of moving a fecking bonfire.

The disgusting thing is if someone chose to stay in their home and got killed, it would change nothing. I'd be willing to bet the Bonfire would be in the exact same place next year.

They build the fecking things anywhere they want. I think it's time for the council to erect and control these bonfires.

Genuine question from a foreigner: does the rest of the UK see N.Ireland as an embarrassment?
Im from NI and i'm embarrassed by lots of the shit that goes on here. I have friends/family in England and some of them think i make up half the stuff that goes on here.

Rooney24

They build the fecking things anywhere they want. I think it's time for the council to erect and control these bonfires.
I think this is coming sooner or later.

How the feck can they get away with putting a bonfire in the car park of a leisure centre and shutting the facility down ffs??

I think its time the council stepped in and said you can have your bonfire but this is where you are having it and this is what will go on it.

The way it is at the minute is crazy.

poleglass red

It's a carryover from a different era. During the troubles these things were seen as bonding local communities. Not needed anymore no matter what side you are on. The internment bonfires have pretty much gone except for some isolated ones, as there just isn't support for them. The old argument it's "culture", once you start putting other countries flags and racist messages on your fire, that argument goes out the window. Is your culture burning other peoples flags? Celebrate your culture but you don't need to insult anyone elses to do so.

Art Vandelay

I think this is coming sooner or later.

How the feck can they get away with putting a bonfire in the car park of a leisure centre and shutting the facility down ffs??

I think its time the council stepped in and said you can have your bonfire but this is where you are having it and this is what will go on it.

The way it is at the minute is crazy.
You know how that ends though. Men in masks and kids building the bonfire wherever they want anyway. The council can't really win.