The 4-Way Draft - Finals: Tuppet vs 2mufc0

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not a good reference at all. That 1982 side was very different than what you have and Zito and Dunga would be extrmely underwhelming in possession compared to Falcao and Cerezo. And its not more "balanced" than 1982 imo. You need either Falcao or Cerezo to balancr that more. Plus i really dislikr Zico role here. Not optimal
Your tactic actually minimizes Zico influence as he was a not a CM. Really not a fan of Pele at SS and Zico at CM role.
Ok..... but APART from the underwhelming in possession, unbalanced nature, non-optimal Zico role, minimising Zico influence, poor Pele position and poor Zico position ..... you liked it?

(For all fans of "The Life of Brian")

Tuppet

@oneniltothearsenal why didn't you like Zico's role here ? He is not playing CM here, he is an attacking midfielder (advanced playamker in FM lingo), whatever I've seen from his club matches that's how he operates. For example in the famous Liverpool game he was mostly playing in the "hole" or slightly deeper even, very Zidane-esque. Taking ball from defenders and doing long passes from deep midfield. Was that not his natural game ?

Also why don't you like Pele's role ? I keep thinking what would be his best role and how he would play in modern tactics and I think he would be playing either striker or second striker, he also played with plenty of playmakers during his career so zico being there should not really affect him. It would limit Zico a certain degree (mostly because you would have only so many runners from deep positions) yes, but not overly I would say and them are breaks that you have to play with in all-time(ish) draft finals. Its true for the 2mufc0's (and most draft final teams) as well, don't think Matthaus for example can play his Germany 90 role with Platini there.

Your point on 1982 midfield is valid though, and I didn't mean my midfield would be as fluid on the ball, especially because its crafted more like 94 Brazil midfield. The balance point was to illustrate that Italy really needed all the luck to win that Brazil game and it wasn't because of masterful Gentile marking.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The only thing I probably regret is perhaps picking up either Gullit or Rummenigge instead of Rijkaard, who didn't get much love here.
Gullit pairing up with van Basten would've been absolutely devastating here. Didn't know that they were available.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@oneniltothearsenal why didn't you like Zico's role here ? He is not playing CM here, he is an attacking midfielder (advanced playamker in FM lingo), whatever I've seen from his club matches that's how he operates. For example in the famous Liverpool game he was mostly playing in the "hole" or slightly deeper even, very Zidane-esque. Taking ball from defenders and doing long passes from deep midfield. Was that not his natural game ?

Also why don't you like Pele's role ? I keep thinking what would be his best role and how he would play in modern tactics and I think he would be playing either striker or second striker, he also played with plenty of playmakers during his career so zico being there should not really affect him. It would limit Zico a certain degree (mostly because you would have only so many runners from deep positions) yes, but not overly I would say and them are breaks that you have to play with in all-time(ish) draft finals. Its true for the 2mufc0's (and most draft final teams) as well, don't think Matthaus for example can play his Germany 90 role with Platini there.

Your point on 1982 midfield is valid though, and I didn't mean my midfield would be as fluid on the ball, especially because its crafted more like 94 Brazil midfield. The balance point was to illustrate that Italy really needed all the luck to win that Brazil game and it wasn't because of masterful Gentile marking.
Well you have Zico behind Pele and Ronaldo. Basically in their peaks Zico an Pele played the same position (ponta-de-lanca in BRA). They interpreted the position differently of course and had their own unique traits but at Zico's peak and in Pele's era you are using him they used the same space on the pitch really.
Zico never really played before a striker-second striker combo. Nunes at Flamengo really was a forerunner of the the modern false 9 and Zico flourished up at the point of the attack. Then the style Flamengo played and IMO takes most advantage of Zico's unique skill set is not really a 94 Brazil cynical tactic. Adilio was much more dynamic on the ball and in attacking than Dunga. Its those runs from midfield and both wings with Zico interchanging that really brought out his best. A lot of his goals come from being in positions that Pele is going to occupy in your tactic. I don't see the combination of 94 inspiration, Dunga-Zito and two forwards in front of him able to bring out his best.

Again, Zico can do the role you asked of him just fine. Its just that it really doesn't bring out his best (the tactic-personnel combo) or maximize his impact on the game. But that's just me. If I picked Brazil, optimizing Zico would have been my strategy so I likely wouldn't have selected Pele.

Of course that didn't matter as just the Ronaldo-Pele combo seems to have earned you votes without even mentioning Garrincha.

Tuppet

Well you have Zico behind Pele and Ronaldo. Basically in their peaks Zico an Pele played the same position (ponta-de-lanca in BRA). They interpreted the position differently of course and had their own unique traits but at Zico's peak and in Pele's era you are using him they used the same space on the pitch really.
Zico never really played before a striker-second striker combo. Nunes at Flamengo really was a forerunner of the the modern false 9 and Zico flourished up at the point of the attack. Then the style Flamengo played and IMO takes most advantage of Zico's unique skill set is not really a 94 Brazil cynical tactic. Adilio was much more dynamic on the ball and in attacking than Dunga. Its those runs from midfield and both wings with Zico interchanging that really brought out his best. A lot of his goals come from being in positions that Pele is going to occupy in your tactic. I don't see the combination of 94 inspiration, Dunga-Zito and two forwards in front of him able to bring out his best.

Again, Zico can do the role you asked of him just fine. Its just that it really doesn't bring out his best (the tactic-personnel combo) or maximize his impact on the game. But that's just me. If I picked Brazil, optimizing Zico would have been my strategy so I likely wouldn't have selected Pele.

Of course that didn't matter as just the Ronaldo-Pele combo seems to have earned you votes without even mentioning Garrincha.
Sounds fair, I agree that there is overlap between Zico & Pele and I did think the best way to go about it would be to have someone like Didi over Zico. But a 2 man midfield would stand no chance against that monster midfield of 2mufc0. With Brazilian attacking options someone just had to give, much like Tostao and Rivelino in 70, Zico would have to compromise his game here a bit to let Pele do his thing. So you are right in that we won't get the peak Zico, would that make our attack suffer I don't really know, thats the fantasy parts of these drafts I suppose.

Annahnomoss

Not exactly but thats mostly because he always played in a 4-2-4 / 4-2-3-1 . For what its worth the 1970 side actually had less width on left than my side here, Everaldo was a defensive fullback to balance Carlos Alberto while Rivelino was mostly playing tucked in. here is an Annah quote from an earlier draft game

The width on left side mostly came from Pele-Tostao interplay and that is one of Pele's absolute best performance.
Definitely. Natural width sort of becomes overrated when you have players like Pele, Ronaldo and Zico up there. Their interplay doesn't need width to work as they were so skilled they didn't need much space to function. Sure Nilton would be lovely down the left as well and provide some decent width there while I don't think it's a necessity by any means.

Even game here with two great teams. Not much to say about 2mufc0, just all around fantastic and I am happy to see Gentile making a comeback as well. Maybe the originality would edge it to Tuppet if I had to vote but otherwise I'd probably chicken out.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sounds fair, I agree that there is overlap between Zico & Pele and I did think the best way to go about it would be to have someone like Didi over Zico. But a 2 man midfield would stand no chance against that monster midfield of 2mufc0. With Brazilian attacking options someone just had to give, much like Tostao and Rivelino in 70, Zico would have to compromise his game here a bit to let Pele do his thing. So you are right in that we won't get the peak Zico, would that make our attack suffer I don't really know, thats the fantasy parts of these drafts I suppose.
In the real life, if we do consider the players at their best, tactics don't matter: Ronaldo would destroy the opposing defence with a limited support.

I have voted for 2mufc because I thought Pele would have to compromise his game and playing more on the wing than usual to preserve the balance of the team. I know he was more comfortable on the left than on the wright.

Brazil 58-62: Zagallo & Nilton Santos to defend on the left
Brazil 70: Rivelino and even Tostao
Santos: Pepe

Below you can see showing where Pele touched the ball in the 1970 World Cup final (map done by the French newspaper L’Equipe) >>> 40 touches

Always strange to vote against Ronaldo, especially when his teamates are also great players.

Congrats once again, how many drafts have you won? Gio still leading the way with 6 victories IIRC :)

@2mufc0 : 2 finals in 4-5 drafts?

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Below you can see showing where Pele touched the ball in the 1970 World Cup final (map done by the French newspaper L’Equipe) >>> 40 touches
He probably uses an earlier version of him

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He probably uses an earlier version of him
I'm not saying he can't play there and and a proven track record don't really matter (but abilities do)

Let's say it's not the optimal way to use him unless iDunga plays higher and mainly on the left.

Dixit the guy who used the "sweeper" Dinu as a right-back :D