The Academy restructuring thread

Prodigal7

There has been significant restructuring over the last 6-12 months but I still don't think there is clarity (at least from the outside) about who is doing what.

We have Nick Cox, Nicky Butt, John Murtaugh and John Peacock with what I would describe as more strategic roles.

Then we have some other new recruits on the talent recruitment side with Derek Langley going. I haven't heard anything definitive but Steve Brown at Everton and Stephen Hopcroft at West Brom are names which are being discussed.

In addition, there are still some moves being discussed about some of the coaching staff at some levels. There was a tweet last week about the U/18's role being looked at but again nothing definitive.

With United being less than open about the changes it is hard to actually determine the exact structure.

Other clubs websites name all the coaching and Academy staff pretty clearly but we rarely tend to do this.

I only see these as moves in the right direction but time will tell.
I read somewhere that we are taking on 10s of new scouts globally. It doesn't surprise me that the club would want to keep this structure and a new academy structure as secret as possible because they won't want other clubs trying to sabotage their interviews/targets, disrupting the rebuild. Perhaps when we finally have a fully reformed structure with the new appointments in place, then we'll get an official structure chart. Also, without misleading any potential applicants for these jobs, the club will likely take someone on and see if they can cope with a certain level of management responsibility , if not then they may hire a superior or someone to support the admin side of things. There are a lot reasons to keep things discrete right now.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I read somewhere that we are taking on 10s of new scouts globally. It doesn't surprise me that the club would want to keep this structure and a new academy structure as secret as possible because they won't want other clubs trying to sabotage their interviews/targets, disrupting the rebuild. Perhaps when we finally have a fully reformed structure with the new appointments in place, then we'll get an official structure chart. Also, without misleading any potential applicants for these jobs, the club will likely take someone on and see if they can cope with a certain level of management responsibility , if not then they may hire a superior or someone to support the admin side of things. There are a lot reasons to keep things discrete right now.
Good point.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Hopefully it's okay i post some tweet conversations of https://twitter.com/manutdreserves here because it seems there are still big problems in our Academy.

"Told their job had gone. Scouts and coaches moral was at an all time low. As no new players were being signed it meant United couldn't even name a full quota of subs for some youthgames or players who had played a full game for U16b running straight to the u18 to be used as a sub. It also meant that Paul McGuinness was forced to play 15 year olds at U18 level and people wondered why we lost. No one cared and no one would challenge it"

"That is just a small part of what's been going on. There is another very important issue but I can't say It on here in case I get in trouble legally for saying it"

"I have spoken to a youth coach, asked him about a player and told he hasn't been seen for weeks and the coach isn't told why"

"Its been an utter shambles, still is but big improvements have been made during the summer. Sacking Paul McGuinness was ridiculous."

khoazany

Hopefully it's okay i post some tweet conversations of https://twitter.com/manutdreserves here because it seems there are still big problems in our Academy.

"Told their job had gone. Scouts and coaches moral was at an all time low. As no new players were being signed it meant United couldn't even name a full quota of subs for some youthgames or players who had played a full game for U16b running straight to the u18 to be used as a sub. It also meant that Paul McGuinness was forced to play 15 year olds at U18 level and people wondered why we lost. No one cared and no one would challenge it"
I don't think it's a problem.Happened for many clubs.If we don't even have some U16s who're ready to play a part for the U18s then it's a bigger problem.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Don't know how anyone can doubt our youth academy. We have so many youth products in the top flights, which demonstrates an ability to churn out good quality players, year after year. Just recently we've brought through Januzaj, Rashford, Perreira, Lingard, Wilson, Borthwick-Jackson, and Fosu-Mensah. That's fantastic. Also just broguht back former youth player Paul Pogba. So both the youth scoutingand coaching is working well.

Just a whole bunch of hyperbole from drama queens and journalists. That said, the club are clearly making some big changes, which is perfectly normal in any organization in order to cope with environmental changes. That's what keeps you at the top.

Don't care if former players send their kids to other academies. How many go on to become good players? Hardly any, ever.

Mr. MUJAC

There are still major issues.

We should be producing more Best's, Charlton's, Viollet's, Hughes', Giggs', Scholes' and Whiteside's...not Championship quality players.

Although it is very pleasing that so many go on to have careers in the game, the whole point is to produce PL quality for our first team.

No doubt time will take care of many of the legacy problems.

Interesting article by the Irish Independent talking about lack of scouting in the Republic.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...land-for-first-time-in-80-years-34981721.html

Leonard17

We should be producing more Best's, Charlton's, Viollet's, Hughes', Giggs', Scholes' and Whiteside's...not Championship quality players.

Although it is very pleasing that so many go on to have careers in the game, the whole point is to produce PL quality for our first team.

Interesting article by the Irish Independent talking about lack of scouting in the Republic.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...land-for-first-time-in-80-years-34981721.html
Don't know if that article is actually a fair reflection of the situation. We've signed arguably the crown jewel of what is an improving underage side for the Irish in O'Connor, Azah was/is joining and we've had Connolly in on trial (apparently). If we've looked at O'Connor, I'm pretty sure we've seen the other talented players coming through or the likes of McAuley before he signed for Liverpool, unless that was a deal done very early on. That's even without mentioning Northern Ireland where we beat Liverpool to Hamilton it looks like (don't know the exact situation with him) and have signed plenty of players from in the past. So yes, I think we have taken our eyes off the ball in that region, as with most things at the club, but again, I'm not sure if it's as bad as the media make it out to be. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: Varun

jb8521

United have increased scouting in Ireland again in the past year. We've had some Irish lads on trial multiple times over a few different age groups and another couple are due to go over in the next month. I watched the Hibernia Trophy tournament in Dublin yesterday and between the Saint Joseph's, Northern Ireland and Ireland teams about a dozen of the players had already been over to United

Mr. MUJAC

United have increased scouting in Ireland again in the past year. We've had some Irish lads on trial multiple times over a few different age groups and another couple are due to go over in the next month. I watched the Hibernia Trophy tournament in Dublin yesterday and between the Saint Joseph's, Northern Ireland and Ireland teams about a dozen of the players had already been over to United
Good to hear!

khoazany

Should have signed Tyreke Wilson (now at City) after we played against him in the Hibernia Trophy few years ago.

Prodigal7

Does anyone know if our relationship with Desportivo Brasil is still active? It's produced feck all for us other than a few photos of youth players in suits at OT.

jb8521

Does anyone know if our relationship with Desportivo Brasil is still active? It's produced feck all for us other than a few photos of youth players in suits at OT.
There are still players coming over on trial from them so I presume its still active

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
  • Tottenham's highly-rated coach Kieran McKenna has joined Manchester United.
  • The 30-year-old started out as a midfielder with Enniskillen Town in Northern Ireland before joining Tottenham but was forced to quit playing after picking up a hip injury.

• At Spurs he guided Tottenham's under-18s to the semi-final of the FA Youth Cup in 2015.
  • In his words, it wasn't a priority for him to win the Youth Cup. He wanted to look for 'standout inviduals' who could fit the first-team manager's mould and style of play.

• He began working at Carrington on Thursday but starts officially on Monday.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...g-coach-Kieran-McKenna-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

khoazany

I suspect Leo Carvalho will be the first player we officially sign from them.Heard he's very impressive during his trial last year.

Leonard17

Sounds a good appointment.
Sounds very good, but I can't remember the last time we signed an Iberian to the academy. There was links with Pena last year, we had Virginia and Felipe on trial, we wanted Vinagre and we had the Portuguese striker on trial last season, but I just can't remember the last time we actually managed to complete a deal for an Iberian. The last one off the top of my head was Brandao, but he was already in the country. Before that Pique was the last. Hopefully it can change, especially with the Spanish.

jb8521

Was sent this by Dutch newbie @GroteBergMan98

Roy Beukenkamp previously at FC Twente and FC Groningen as youth scout.

Praised for work with fellow-scout Grads Fuhler at Groningen, for bringing in players that were sold for 17 million euros in the space of 6 months.

Called 'masterscout' by Rens Walland who discovered Arjen Robben.

'Roy is a fantastic scout with probably the best network in Denmark out of everybody."
One of the first to discover Kasper Dolberg.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Butt reveals how Manchester United academy is getting back on track - exclusive

Man United youth system is in the process of a revamp and academy chief Nicky Butt has been leading the changes.

Nicky Butt believes Manchester United's famous youth system is pointing in the right direction again.

Just over six months ago the Reds' treble-winning midfielder was appointed as the club's new Head of Academy.

Butt's remit from executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was to oversee a root-and-branch review and overhaul of the department that had developed generations of tap

ent - from Matt Busby's Babes, the core of the 1968 European Cup winning team and Butt's own Class of '92 era that engineered United most famous campaign in the club's history in 1999.

There were claims that the academy was in a mess and ailing, a criticism Butt vehemently denied on his appointment as Brian McClair's successor last February.

It was, however, recognised that the Old Trafford conveyor belt - and facilities - needed an update.

Half a year on and United's academy is deep into its modernization.

“We are getting there with the revamp. Slowly but surely,” 41-year-old Butt told M.E.N Sport. "We have a lot of new people now in new roles. That will take time to bed in.

“Around the Aon Complex itself we are generating new pitches, better facilities. We are going in the right direction but it takes time to do such a massive job.

“It is not a sea change because the academy at Man United has done the right thing by players here for a long, long time and we have always got players into the first team and been equally successful getting players careers at other clubs.

“It is not a massive big change of direction but it was a case of steadying the ship. We had just veered off course a little bit but we are pointing back in the right direction.

“To be honest with the great success we have had in getting kids to realise their dreams of becoming professional footballers maybe we had pushed a lot of things to one side because we thought we were doing it right.”

The Premier League's Elite Players Performance Plan (EPPP) means clubs are scrutinised every three years.

The Reds passed the last audit to remain an Category One elite academy.

However, Butt says not everything was correct.

“We had the audit and they flagged up a lot of things,” he said. “Even though we were doing a lot of things right by the players in getting them to the correct end product, you have to have the right tick boxes along the way. Maybe we weren't so great in that.

“But we passed with flying colours which is really good for the club. Now we can get back to doing what we do the best and that is developing players.”

To that end United have appointed a whole raft of new youth coaches to lead their youngsters from the clubs age nine group upwards.

“We have more support staff, more analysts, more psychologists, more sports science guys for all ages. I couldn't tell you how many but I know there isn't as much space in the changing rooms!”

The Reds' scouting network has also under gone a major revamp programme.

“Recruitment of players is a massive juggernaut on its own,” added Butt.

“We were not missing out on countries but in years gone by you maybe had one scout in each country, or two, but the way it is with young players now as soon as a kid does well there are about five or six clubs on him straight away.

“You just need to get yourself in the right position if the new Ronaldo, or the new Marcus Rashford comes along. He could be in Longsight or Buenos Aires or anywhere in the world. You just have to be there ready.

“If you have people around the world who can spot them and find them then you are in the right position. All our worldwide scouts come to Carrington twice a year and it is a big operation.

“I don't think we have ever rested on our laurels. If you don't move on and you stand still then you die. We are kicking on.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-news-ronaldo-academy-11829310

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Good to hear this and good appointments are being made it seems. I hope they look into player recruitment as we lag behind there. We do get a good player once in a while but you hear city ,chelsea, barcelona snapping kids up from all corners of world and we lag behind i think there. Hopefully by summer we have a good machine running and everything falls into place.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Not their fault really since the '90 minute rule' was invented. Not been too long since it was abolished.

MDFC Manager

Love reading about all the background with being done at the club. Woody is getting a lot of things right.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nicky Butt: Head of Academy
Performance Manager: Nick Cox
Academy Consultant: John Peacock
Academy Scouts: Henny de Regt, Roy Beukenkamp
U18 Coach: Kieran McKenna
Recruitment: Steve Brown

So this much has been changed(from what has been in the media) in the 6 months or so. Pretty sure I'm missing a lot but seems like we've added a lot more staff and scouts as per Nicky Butt's latest interview.

Good stuff.

Leonard17

Nicky Butt: Head of Academy
Performance Manager: Nick Cox
Academy Consultant: John Peacock
Academy Scouts: Henny de Regt, Roy Beukenkamp
U18 Coach: Kieran McKenna
Recruitment: Steve Brown

So this much has been changed(from what has been in the media) in the 6 months or so. Pretty sure I'm missing a lot but seems like we've added a lot more staff and scouts as per Nicky Butt's latest interview.

Good stuff.
Steve Brown is a senior scout I believe.

Leonard17

There are probably a dozen more scouts that we don't know about and a dozen more aboutnto be appointed.
I'm talking more about head of recruitment, we haven't got a replacement yet. Also, Cox is the operations manager for the academy, so basically he takes care of the EPPP, I would assume. But like you said, it's pretty much a whole new structure with a lot of new people.

Mr. MUJAC

I'm talking more about head of recruitment, we haven't got a replacement yet. Also, Cox is the operations manager for the academy, so basically he takes care of the EPPP, I would assume. But like you said, it's pretty much a whole new structure with a lot of new people.
I understand we have approached Stephen Hopcroft at West Brom.