The Academy restructuring thread

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Exciting times for the acadamy. Will be interesting to see how they do. Developing players for Man Utd is a different ballgame from developing players to West Brom and Sheff Utd.

Irish_Red

We really have done some excellent work this summer in terms of both player and staff recruitment. The u18 side definitely has some of the best talents we have had there in years. The summer recruitment of attacking players means that we have exceptional talents all fighting for game time.

However I think there should be a lowering of expectations around here as to the short term success of this overhaul. Cautious optimism should be the demeanor for the season ahead. I say this as I think we could be in for a mediocre season results wise at both the u18s and u23 age groups.

With the u23s we have let numerous players go between transfers and loans, as was the correct thing to do. This, coupled with the promotion of players like TFM and Rashford to the seniors has left a huge gap between the senior team and the u18s. I don't think this is a disaster by any means however as I will later elaborate on.

We have clearly recruited heavily in terms of first year scholars (u16s) this year and hopefully the change in the overall structure of the academy should lead to the production of some more homegrown first year scholars in the years to come (to add to the already promising young players such as Greenwood, Elanga and Laird).

Similarly for the u18 this season we will have a squad full of extremely talented but relatively very young players. I expect the older players from the u18s to be dragged forward to the u23s this year due to the lack of numbers at this level (the likes of Gribbin, Dearnley, Hamilton, Williams). This will in turn leave our u18s playing with numerous first and second year scholars who will be playing against players a year or two older all year. Furthermore, whilst we have focused on recruiting numerous attacking talents at this level, we are extremely short of numbers and talent at the back, especially in comparison with the Reid, Tuanzebe, Williams, CBJ era. More realistic aspirations for the year should be for the management to focus on building a complete youth squad capable of dominating in the next two years as most of the current squad is eligible for the next year at least

Therefore I would say that by right we should not be expecting any sort of dominating youth teams in the next year or two, though as I said before, with the amount of talent these players have you can't help but being at least cautiously optimistic at the potential for these young lads to exceed expectations.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Read on twitter that a scout from chile is also approached.

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
For those in the know who are United's best prospects at under 21s and under 18s? Also which players do you think will be knocking on the door of the first team this season?

I've heard a lot of promising things about your young central defender. I forget his name but it begins with T

Prodigal7

For those in the know who are United's best prospects at under 21s and under 18s? Also which players do you think will be knocking on the door of the first team this season?

I've heard a lot of promising things about your young central defender. I forget his name but it begins with T
Hard to say. But for me, potential first teamers of the future are:
Gomes (16, CM/AM)
Chong (17ish, Winger/Forward)
Gribbin (17, AM or winger)
Boonen (17ish, AM/Winger)
Tuanzebe (18ish, CB)
Williams (17, CB)
O'Connor (16ish, RB)

Burkhart (Striker) I haven't seen play yet be he could apparently be added to that list if you take reputation into account.

jb8521

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-swoop-west-brom-8787555

Manchester United swoop for West Brom youth chief Steve Hopcroft to kick-start Academy production line
The 49-year-old oversaw the Baggies emergence of Saido Berahino and others, having also developed Nathan Redmond and Demarai Gray at Birmingham
  • The 49-year-old oversaw the Baggies emergence of Saido Berahino and others, having also developed Nathan Redmond and Demarai Gray at Birmingham
Manchester United have lured the country’s top spotter of young talent to Old Trafford after West Brom’s Steve Hopcroft agreed to join the Red Devils’ Academy.

Hopcroft has been responsible for developing a string of players who have now earned Premier League title and international honours and will be tasked with repeating the feat under Jose Mourinho.

The Baggies’ head of youth recruitment will take up a position left vacant after Derek Langley left two months ago.

The move is part of a wide-ranging re-vamp at youth level as Manchester United attempt to re-discover a core part of the club’s DNA.

Hopcroft has been employed by the Baggies for the past eight years and is credited with bringing through a string of players who are now reaching first-team level.

Saido Berahino is the biggest name, but teenagers Jonathan Leko, Sam Field and Kane Wilson have all appeared for Tony Pulis’ side this season.

The 49-year-old oversaw the Baggies emergence of Saido Berahino and others, having also developed Nathan Redmond and Demarai Gray at Birmingham

He was responsible for introducing Nathan Redmond and Demarai Gray, now of Southampton and Leicester respectively, to the club.

Prodigal7

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-swoop-west-brom-8787555

Manchester United swoop for West Brom youth chief Steve Hopcroft to kick-start Academy production line
  • The 49-year-old oversaw the Baggies emergence of Saido Berahino and others, having also developed Nathan Redmond and Demarai Gray at Birmingham
Manchester United have lured the country’s top spotter of young talent to Old Trafford after West Brom’s Steve Hopcroft agreed to join the Red Devils’ Academy.

Hopcroft has been responsible for developing a string of players who have now earned Premier League title and international honours and will be tasked with repeating the feat under Jose Mourinho.

The Baggies’ head of youth recruitment will take up a position left vacant after Derek Langley left two months ago.

The move is part of a wide-ranging re-vamp at youth level as Manchester United attempt to re-discover a core part of the club’s DNA.

Hopcroft has been employed by the Baggies for the past eight years and is credited with bringing through a string of players who are now reaching first-team level.

Saido Berahino is the biggest name, but teenagers Jonathan Leko, Sam Field and Kane Wilson have all appeared for Tony Pulis’ side this season.

He was responsible for introducing Nathan Redmond and Demarai Gray, now of Southampton and Leicester respectively, to the club.
More fantastic news. We are recruiting the very best.

khoazany

I feel so strange about this deal.I followed him on Twitter for a good few years having no idea that he has any slight interest/possibility on joining United and he always bang on about how good the WBA setup is to bring the lads through the first team and advice the young lads not to move to the big clubs too early where they stockpile the talents but does not give them the opportunities/pathways.

He seems well regarded though and the current system at WBA is very good and they must have some secret methods to bring through strikers because they have a talented one on almost every age group:
Berahino
Jerome Sinclair (eventually moved to Liverpool, now at Walford)
Izzy Brown (now at Chelsea, currently on loan at Rotherham United)
Tyler Roberts (current on loan at Oxford, trained with the senior Wales squad)
Jonathan Leko (first teamer, England U18s international)
Jamie Soule (England U16s international)
Rayhaan Tulloch (England U15s international)

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Local Birmingham paper saying that we've approached him but he hasn't taken any decision yet and handed the notice

Leonard17

I feel so strange about this deal.I followed him on Twitter for a good few years having no idea that he has any slight interest/possibility on joining United and he always bang on about how good the WBA setup is to bring the lads through the first team and advice the young lads not to move to the big clubs too early where they stockpile the talents but does not give them the opportunities/pathways.

He seems well regarded though and the current system at WBA is very good and they must have some secret methods to bring through strikers because they have a talented one on almost every age group:
Berahino
Jerome Sinclair (eventually moved to Liverpool, now at Walford)
Izzy Brown (now at Chelsea, currently on loan at Rotherham United)
Tyler Roberts (current on loan at Oxford, trained with the senior Wales squad)
Jonathan Leko (first teamer, England U18s international)
Jamie Soule (England U16s international)
Rayhaan Tulloch (England U15s international)
You could probably add Dhanda to this list as well.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Great article by Nicky Butt in today's Times.

He calls the U/23 league 'crap'...raves about Marcus Rashford...wants more leadership and fight on the pitch...and questions Adman Januzaj's attitude.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

He calls the U/23 league 'crap'...raves about Marcus Rashford...wants more leadership and fight on the pitch...and questions Adman Januzaj's attitude.
Would like to read that but Times is behind paywall right?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Also name checks Gomes as one to watch and says that if anyone doesn't make it at 20 then he'll never make it(Lingard anyone?)

And seems very disappointed by Januzaj.

lysglimt

Scout
If Nicky Butt is more or less responsible for the majority of the changes at U18-23 level - he deserves a LOT of credit. From the looks of things, he really has turned things around in a short time.

Leonard17

Also name checks Gomes as one to watch and says that if anyone doesn't make it at 20 then he'll never make it(Lingard anyone?)

As a benchmark, yes 20-21 is arguably right. Obviously some players might growing problems like Lingard, but even he was in and around the 1st team at 20 (tour 2013). Then there's also the goal keeping position where it's even harder. Also, I think he sees what everyone sees with Januzaj, in terms of talent, but is more questioning why he hasn't been able to push through and develop like he should've done.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Lingard was in the first team at 20. The terrible injury stalled him.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Hopcroft, who has helped to develop a host of talented Albion youngsters including Saido Berahino, has reportedly agreed to become United's new head of recruitment.

He has started following a series of Twitter accounts with links to United including @FullTime Devils, 'YouTube's biggest and best channel for Manchester United fans.

Hopcroft has also started to follow @manutdreserves, a prominent supporter of the club's youth system and @mrmujac, a historian focusing on United's kids.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-academy-coach-drops-11858812

Mark Pawelek

Excuse me? His career started way before then?
What do you mean by career?

The definition of 'career' here seems to be 'starter at a top 4 club'.

Carrick's early 'career':
  • In his late teens, according to his manager, Harry Redknapp, Carrick lost almost two seasons to injuries because of his rapid growth.
  • When Carrick was 22 he was playing in the 2nd-tier (what later became the Championship) for West Ham
  • Signed for Spurs on 20 August 2003, just turned 23, so moved back to the Premiership.

Leonard17

What do you mean by career?

The definition of 'career' here seems to be 'starter at a top 4 club'.

Carrick's early 'career':
  • In his late teens, according to his manager, Harry Redknapp, Carrick lost almost two seasons to injuries because of his rapid growth.
  • When Carrick was 22 he was playing in the 2nd-tier (what later became the Championship) for West Ham
  • Signed for Spurs on 20 August 2003, just turned 23, so moved back to the Premiership.
Nah mate, he made his 1st team debut at 18, was an international by 20. But every player that breaks through from an academy is going to go straight in the starting 11? Let's not be ridiculous here, put it into context.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That Hopcroft looks exciting. There's a hell of a lot of young English talent around the midlands, from what a few people have mentioned to me. Would be good to have someone who knows the area, as I think Izzy brown, Leko, etc all went to the same school? (not sure if that's true).

DannyDee

Hopcroft seems like an interesting hire, although I think some of his quotes could be used against him in regards to recruiting even if we aren't as big offenders of these things as City or Chelsea. At the end of the day, I don't think it will impact recruiting too much, most high-level athletes believe they are the exception and will be able to crack a spot on a big club. It will be interesting to see what Hopcroft can do with United's budget, he seems to have innovative ideas (shadow academy, etc).

Prodigal7

Hopcroft seems like an interesting hire, although I think some of his quotes could be used against him in regards to recruiting even if we aren't as big offenders of these things as City or Chelsea. At the end of the day, I don't think it will impact recruiting too much, most high-level athletes believe they are the exception and will be able to crack a spot on a big club. It will be interesting to see what Hopcroft can do with United's budget, he seems to have innovative ideas (shadow academy, etc).
I really like the shadow academy idea. Hope he incorporates that at United.

Leonard17

You should put his comments into perspective and context. West Brom were regularly raided for their players (Matt Smith-City, Dhanda-Liverpool, Sinclair-Liverpool and Brown-Chelsea) some who didn't/haven't gone on to do much. Izzy Brown and Jerome Sinclair are ones that left for "bigger clubs" and their careers haven't done much as it could've if they stayed. Think it was more a case of him actually giving reasons for players to join and stay at West Brom with an actual pathway to the first team.

DannyDee

You should put his comments into perspective and context. West Brom were regularly raided for their players (Matt Smith-City, Dhanda-Liverpool, Sinclair-Liverpool and Brown-Chelsea) some who didn't/haven't gone on to do much. Izzy Brown and Jerome Sinclair are ones that left for "bigger clubs" and their careers haven't done much as it could've if they stayed. Think it was more a case of him actually giving reasons for players to join and stay at West Brom with an actual pathway to the first team.
I understand the reasons for the statements, and why he would say it. It is now he is on the other side of the equation, and many of those statements apply to us.

Leonard17

I understand the reasons for the statements, and why he would say it. It is now he is on the other side of the equation, and many of those statements apply to us.
That's fair enough. I think that situation will only arise if we were to attempt to take a player from most clubs smaller clubs m, but West Brom in particular. Having said that, we have a much better youth record than most of the clubs who snapped up the players I mentioned before, so any backlash wouldn't/shouldn't be as bad as it would be at other clubs.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
That's fair enough. I think that situation will only arise if we were to attempt to take a player from most clubs smaller clubs m, but West Brom in particular. Having said that, we have a much better youth record than most of the clubs who snapped up the players I mentioned before, so any backlash wouldn't/shouldn't be as bad as it would be at other clubs.
We have a better youth record than 'every' club in Britain...with arguably only Ajax better in terms of longevity at the top.

Leonard17

We have a better youth record than 'every' club in Britain...with arguably only Ajax better in terms of longevity at the top.
I was talking in terms of possible reasoning against a "backlash" from media or fans about him doing what he tells the players at his current club, not to do.