The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silva

He is 19. He's not dead, he's in custody. He will wish he was dead when he gets to prison, and I expect his ears will come in handy too. cnut.
He will be tried at the Federal level and probably get the death penalty, it's unlikely he'll have enough contact with other prisoners for any rapey stuff to happen.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
He is 19. He's not dead, he's in custody. He will wish he was dead when he gets to prison, and I expect his ears will come in handy too. cnut.
Cheers. Yeah, he'll probably have a pretty hard time in prison. He's got the eyes of someone who's been bullied his entire life.

slyadams

The conginitive dissonance you must have to not act en masse to fix this is astonishing, if not evil

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
He will be tried at the Federal level and probably get the death penalty, it's unlikely he'll have enough contact with other prisoners for any rapey stuff to happen.
Yeah I thought that as I posted it, that's a shame. He doesnt deserve a quick death. Yet another reason why I oppose the death penalty. He should be put in general population for a few months before his trial.

CircusMonkey

America really does need to have a conversation with its self. These incidents have multiple variables, that need to be seriously addressed. Everything from Gun law, mental health, even to the way it seems to be breeding a generation of self entitled arseholes. Jesus how fecking selfish or deranged do you have to be (without people noticing) to commit such an awful act of aggression.

So much of what America represents is enmeshed with violence, guns, and a warped sense of masculinity. Even the presidents attitude is so 'cowboy', its horrendous, shame as its such a beautiful country, with so many great people.

GiddyUp

Indeed.

A guy I coach with used to be the athletic director at the high school a few blocks from the Aurora theater shooting. He had something like 2 dozen football players there that night, two of which were shot. He says that one that wasn’t shot, but went back in multiple times to carry wounded people to safety, has the worst PTSD of the lot.

My colleague’s office was used to have “the meeting” with people to let them know they’d lost a loved one. He hasn’t gotten over that himself, to be honest.
I feel sick just reading that. There are a lot of things I love and hate about this country since I moved here, but I can deal with them. The one thing that scares the shit out of me is sending my kids to school. When I see their little faces come out the door is hands down the best part of my day and even the thought of what those parents go through during and after these senseless tragedies really fecks me up. Outside of mental health and regulation the first thing they can do tomorrow is ban the sale of Ar-15 type weapons pending an extensive background check and training procedure. It's the common denominator in this bullshit. Give people a fecking chance to survive, give them valuable seconds to flee or fight and admit that this is not a weapon of hunting or home protection. It's a weapon of mass casualties and cowardice and has no place being sold to the general public.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Have we been told yet how the real solution here is prayer and making sure good people have guns so they can fight the bad people with guns?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
America really does need to have a conversation with its self. These incidents have multiple variables, that need to be seriously addressed. Everything from Gun law, mental health, even to the way it seems to be breeding a generation of uneducated losers without any perspectives. Jesus how fecking selfish or deranged do you have to be...
Fixed that for you, should also answer your question. There are millions of Cruz's out there, all armed, all angry. Naturally some of them are short fused, and blow, sooner or later. Happened before, will happen again.
Will this massacre change anything? Nope, it'll be forgotten by Monday, until the next massacre, rinse and repeat.
Why? Because those guns are the last source of, or let's better say substitute for pride for this ever growing mass of have-nots and left-behinds. And since the ones in power have no interest in creating a more just society, they are in fact aiming for new era of feudalism, this isn't going to change anytime soon.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Have we been told yet how the real solution here is prayer and making sure good people have guns so they can fight the bad people with guns?
They've been told by Tomi Lahren it's too soon to talk about gun control. Because, you know, please think of the victims families. Never mind the families of the victims of the next shooter, though.

slyadams

I really wish I didn't watch that.
Understood, I probably should have added a stronger warning. What's interesting to me is hearing people talking about arming teachers, charging shooters etc., because most people's impression of things like this are the movies where nothing is remotely realistic. Watching videos from the scenes, it just makes it clear how outrageous it is to expect this from people and how utterly terrifying it is and that this is a fecking school.

Siorac

It's too soon to talk about guns!!! Let people mourn until the next shooting in a couple of days.

The Firestarter

I feel sick just reading that. There are a lot of things I love and hate about this country since I moved here, but I can deal with them. The one thing that scares the shit out of me is sending my kids to school. When I see their little faces come out the door is hands down the best part of my day and even the thought of what those parents go through during and after these senseless tragedies really fecks me up. Outside of mental health and regulation the first thing they can do tomorrow is ban the sale of Ar-15 type weapons pending an extensive background check and training procedure. It's the common denominator in this bullshit. Give people a fecking chance to survive, give them valuable seconds to flee or fight and admit that this is not a weapon of hunting or home protection. It's a weapon of mass casualties and cowardice and has no place being sold to the general public.
Just ban the sale of that thing and similar, pronto. No exceptions.

Kaos

Its depressingly telling that when I first saw the headlines this morning my mind just registered as another common story.

These shootings in the state have become to me what terrorist attacks are in the middle east. Its just unfortunately become part of the country's furniture and once you couple in the general gun culture and sheer power of the lobbies I don't see control being feasible.

The only thing I could possibly see provoke a genuine debate is if the victims were high profile, then they'd perhaps appreciate the morbid reality.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've never really understood the rationale behind owning a gun to protect yourself from the government. If the Government wanted you dead you'd be dead, even if you own an M16. Instead these idiots let thousands die each year so they can keep a gun and never use it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Fairly interesting thread - I do think there is something tied to toxic masculinity in this, and the fact that these incidents of mass violence almost always involve men.
But it would be good to get other people's opinions, particularly since the theory of 'broken boys' should be applicable globally (and i'm not a guy, so what do I know?)

I do think men should be able comfortable exploring the full spectrum of human emotion, rather than having to outwardly perpetuate stereotypes - and I think America, being the epicenter of media (superheroes, cowboys, war films etc) definitely feeds into that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Its depressingly telling that when I first saw the headlines this morning my mind just registered as another common story.

These shootings in the state have become to me what terrorist attacks are in the middle east. Its just unfortunately become part of the country's furniture and once you couple in the general gun culture and sheer power of the lobbies I don't see control being feasible.

The only thing I could possibly see provoke a genuine debate is if the victims were high profile, then they'd perhaps appreciate the morbid reality.
That is what I think too. Until a large mass shooting doesn't happen in a Republican convention where influential members of parties (or their loved ones) don't get killed, it is very difficult to see something changing. If Sandy Hook didn't give any response (in fact Trump's administration revoked the lite rules Obama had done for guns), this one and similar attacks won't change anything.

In fact, for NRA probably these types of attacks are good, cause the number of guns sales (unsurprisingly) increases.

Siorac

Fairly interesting thread - I do think there is something tied to toxic masculinity in this, and the fact that these incidents of mass violence almost always involve men.
But it would be good to get other people's opinions, particularly since the theory of 'broken boys' should be applicable globally (and i'm not a guy, so what do I know?)

I do think men should be able comfortable exploring the full spectrum of human emotion, rather than having to outwardly perpetuate stereotypes - and I think America, being the epicenter of media (superheroes, cowboys, war films etc) definitely feeds into that.
I think that's worth a separate thread, something that isn't necessarily linked to a shooting. Because yeah, toxic masculinity is a problem everywhere, unlike mass shootings in schools.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That is what I think too. Until a large mass shooting doesn't happen in a Republican convention where influential members of parties (or their loved ones) don't get killed, it is very difficult to see something changing.
Already happened. Nothing changed.

Siorac

I think the mainstream media should show it in all its graphic detail. Just seeing number of dead isn't moving the needle. The media need to shock people.
I'm not sure about that. You do have to consider the victims' families and friends; also the survivors who might not want to relive it again if there's any way to avoid it.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm not sure about that. You do have to consider the victims' families and friends; also the survivors who might not want to relive it again if there's any way to avoid it.
Geez, I missed this. Yep, it is really hard to see what can happen for anything to change. President getting killed? A senator starting a mass shooting in the senate? Democrats having a 60%+ majority in all two rooms, having the president and controlling the constitutional court?

Ultimately, it seems that NRA has so many senators and other influential politicians (mostly Republicans, but likely many Democrats too) in their payroll, that basically nothing can change, whatever it happens. I guess that a lot of people are realizing this, with the 'if you can't beat them, join them' way of thinking, and getting guns despite that they might be anti-gun people. Which obviously makes things even worse, which can be shown by the increase of mass shootings.

A clusterfeck if I ever saw one.

RedDevil@84

I think the mainstream media should show it in all its graphic detail. Just seeing number of dead isn't moving the needle. The media need to shock people.
You assume that the media has some kind of responsibility to show things that would help the society.
No, that is not how media works. There are owners, their political leanings and their funding sources to be considered.

RedDevil@84

Guess it is difficult to understand the mindset of these type of gun owners. Perhaps continuous brainwashing about the needs of having a gun with you all time makes you believe that you can't live without one

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Guess it is difficult to understand the mindset of these type of gun owners. Perhaps continuous brainwashing about the needs of having a gun with you all time makes you believe that you can't live without one
Think it's a more simple case of "look at how massive and powerful my... gun is."

Raulduke

The alt-right on twitter is currently trying to use this tragedy as a stick to beat the FBI/Comey with. Absolutely shameless, but asking questions about gun control in the wake of a mass shooting is always "too soon" apparently.

Shark

@NotShark

The more bizarre thing is, the question mentioned only stricter gun control, but he instantly jumped to “you can’t take everyone’s guns” argument. I don’t think that it’s realistic to completely save America at this point, guns are far too embedded into their culture for that. However that doesn’t mean that they can’t implement laws to make things a whole lot better and safe. Doing nothing is downright insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.