The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
There's a question to ask here I think about where you draw the line with everything. With regards to the truck stuff and how prominent that has been in the news in recent years, down the line this could be used to justify the view that the only cars that should exist should be driverless. For example:

https://www.inverse.com/article/38003-driverless-cars-answer-truck-attacks

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-self-driving-petrol-diesel-ban-electric-2025

And this quote has been attributed to Merkel:

So the discussion is already there, and it would again be this chipping away of liberty in the name of safety, because if a time like that ever comes, you could only go where your car is able to take you, which is probably going to be determined more and more by a select few companies as time passes.

With regards to other things that could hurt other people, you also have alcohol, which is clearly a massive contributor to violence, death and abuse all around the world. It's the same situation in that you have people who feel they gain something positive out of it (social benefits, relaxation, etc), just as people may feel with owning a gun (safety and recreational enjoyment), and in both situations you have industry leaders that would presumably be vehemently opposed to any prohibition. And again, as you say:

Back to that point again.

Control of one thing as a single act may seem quite harmless on its own, but it's worth thinking about what sort of monstrosity of a society in terms of legislation and prohibition we could be heading towards because of this sort of incrementalism.
Nice misqoute there. As long as it fits your agenda I guess ....

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Tactical nukes don't kill people ...........

So why ban people from owning them? I'm sure there is a reason but it escapes me for the moment.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Nice misqoute there. As long as it fits your agenda I guess ....
I said it had been attributed to her, and that the discussion is already there, which it is if you go on Google and look it up. Lots of talk of mandatory driverless cars, terrorists and driverless cars (for and against), etc.

What's with the tone? :) It bothers me that there doesn't seem much of a push to really get to, in my opinion, the root cause in the world compared to the push for more legislation, more government control, etc. It's a world made up of billions of people that act, think, etc... Strikes me as pretty important that we understand people in this situation! You wouldn't run a hospital full of people that didn't understand human biology.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I said it had been attributed to her, and that the discussion is already there, which it is if you go on Google and look it up. Lots of talk of mandatory driverless cars, terrorists and driverless cars (for and against), etc.

What's with the tone? :) It bothers me that there doesn't seem much of a push to really get to, in my opinion, the root cause in the world compared to the push for more legislation, more government control, etc. It's a world made up of billions of people that act, think, etc... Strikes me as pretty important that we understand people in this situation! You wouldn't run a hospital full of people that didn't understand human biology.
There’s literally no talk of that at all, and while that quote is Merkels, it was just some general PR talk about how far technology has come and will go. Knowing which sites have used it to attribute it to some „you can’t drive your own car anymore!“-discussion makes me wonder about you, to be honest. It’s r/t_d bullshit.

Not to mention we already all need a license, which only shows how stupid that statement was anyway.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

And there we have it. Fecking idiots, the lot of them

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I like facts.

So why do France, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Canada and Belgium have higher assault rates than the US?
Not really sure what the point of this is, because by definition - "assault" is on a spectrum from an imminent threat of harm, to unlawful physical contact.

That's not on the same scale as having mass shootings on an almost daily basis in the US.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Not really sure what the point of this is, because by definition - "assault" is on a spectrum from an imminent threat of harm, to unlawful physical contact.

That's not on the same scale as having mass shootings on an almost daily basis in the US.
I also have to disagree on your social differences argument. There’s no indication for that at all. There’s a lot that it’s an issue of an embraced culture of violence and extremely easy access to guns.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
If its not about a gun she should have used the hash tag #FloridaAnotherLunatic
She is a dumb twat so deep in the pockets of the NRA and Trump. Unfortunately, she is massively popular and millions will lap shit like this up.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I also have to disagree on your social differences argument. There’s no indication for that at all. There’s a lot that it’s an issue of an embraced culture of violence and extremely easy access to guns.
My social differences? I haven't inferred mine in this thread yet, I was just replying to that individual comment because I didn't see how assault can be compared to gun violence.

I do agree that the US has a different attitude towards violence, in comparison to other countries - culture is probably a good way to define it, but either way the approach to firearms is just bizarre.
I wouldn't know why it's that way, and I'm sure there are scholars who have written on the subject - but from the outside looking in it's just unbelievable.

KingEric7

There’s literally no talk of that at all, and while that quote is Merkels, it was just some general PR talk about how far technology has come and will go. Knowing which sites have used it to attribute it to some „you can’t drive your own car anymore!“-discussion makes me wonder about you, to be honest. It’s r/t_d bullshit.

Not to mention we already all need a license, which only shows how stupid that statement was anyway.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/491...e-london-bridge-or-westminster-experts-claim/
https://spectrum.ieee.org/transport...rless-cars-optional-by-2024-mandatory-by-2044

Yeah, it's the Sun in that first link, but the media clearly has a massive influence on politics and people's perceptions. Society is only heading in one direction as far as surveillance, government control, etc is concerned, so it's an example to illustrate how this sort of thing could leak into other aspects of life and begin to really accumulate. I think it's really reached the time where there needs to be a bit more of an 'out the box' change in how we go about things as a society. For example, there is talk in this thread of having a few police officers in all schools, but like I say, how about more effort being put into encouraging children to think, to understand right and wrong, to know how to deal with the parts of us that lead to anger, violence, etc? The schooling system at the moment isn't really structured to instill anything like that, and is more of a 'do this, or else..." approach. The amount of mental illness and unhappiness in the world is very, very high, so there's a lot to suggest that we could do with making some more fundamental changes, and from the ground up. To use another football example, I suppose it's like a smaller club seeing the impossible situation in the transfer market in terms of prices, and deciding to prioritise youth and the academy instead.

The world is clearly not in a very stable place currently, and I don't feel like changing things that are more towards the surface of society (in the grand scheme of things) is going to eliminate the deeper issues.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

And there we have it. Fecking idiots, the lot of them
This is her less than 24 hours after the Manchester arena bombing:

This is her less than 24 hours after the New York attack last October:

Tomi Lahren: How Many More Americans Have to Die Before We Throw Away the PC Garbage?
'Civilization jihad' isn't coming, it's already here.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/insider.foxnews.com/amp/article/58805

But when it's a shooting, which is an infinitely bigger issue in the US, they trot out this "too soon" bullshit every single time.

I fecking hate these people, and they all have blood on their hands.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
My social differences? I haven't inferred mine in this thread yet, I was just replying to that individual comment because I didn't see how assault can be compared to gun violence.

I do agree that the US has a different attitude towards violence, in comparison to other countries - culture is probably a good way to define it, but either way the approach to firearms is just bizarre.
I wouldn't know why it's that way, and I'm sure there are scholars who have written on the subject - but from the outside looking in it's just unbelievable.
Eh? Your social differences? You said that gun violence is a result of social inequality in the US and I disagreed, for nothing to do with you.

Edit: that was another poster, nevermind.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The amount of people who say ‘guns don’t kill. It’s the people’ is ridiculous. If those people didn’t have guns in the first place I’m certain you’d have far less fatalities. What is it with Americans and their fetish for guns ffs?!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/491...e-london-bridge-or-westminster-experts-claim/
https://spectrum.ieee.org/transport...rless-cars-optional-by-2024-mandatory-by-2044

Yeah, it's the Sun in that first link, but the media clearly has a massive influence on politics and people's perceptions. Society is only heading in one direction as far as surveillance, government control, etc is concerned, so it's an example to illustrate how this sort of thing could leak into other aspects of life and begin to really accumulate. I think it's really reached the time where there needs to be a bit more of an 'out the box' change in how we go about things as a society. For example, there is talk in this thread of having a few police officers in all schools, but like I say, how about more effort being put into encouraging children to think, to understand right and wrong, to know how to deal with the parts of us that lead to anger, violence, etc? The schooling system at the moment isn't really structured to instill anything like that, and is more of a 'do this, or else..." approach. The amount of mental illness and unhappiness in the world is very, very high, so there's a lot to suggest that we could do with making some more fundamental changes, and from the ground up. To use another football example, I suppose it's like a smaller club seeing the impossible situation in the transfer market in terms of prices, and deciding to prioritise youth and the academy instead.

The world is clearly not in a very stable place currently, and I don't feel like changing things that are more towards the surface of society (in the grand scheme of things) is going to eliminate the deeper issues.
Who said tighter gun controls would "eliminate deeper issues"? That's a straw man. Literally nobody has tried to make that point apart from you. What it would do, though, is bring down the numbers of kids being slaughtered while at school. Which is the point being made my most people in this thread. How the feck does anything you've said address that simple point?

GBBQ

Its an eye opener in the south, people who are otherwise indistinguishable from you or I but have this love affair with guns and retain this inbuilt right to carry a gun. Its so alien to me, I picked up what I thought was a pellet gun from a pick-up truck, there was no warning to be careful with it, but the driver asked if i wanna go shoot it at the range. Just scary to think how blase the average joe is about these things in certain States.

Worth checking out the This American Life podcast that @Pogue Mahone shared in the PC gone mad thread. Half of it is about an NRA member trying to get realistic toy guns (airsoft and BB guns that look and feel real) banned and even that is met with derision.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Its an eye opener in the south, people who are otherwise indistinguishable from you or I but have this love affair with guns and retain this inbuilt right to carry a gun. Its so alien to me, I picked up what I thought was a pellet gun from a pick-up truck, there was no warning to be careful with it, but the driver asked if i wanna go shoot it at the range. Just scary to think how blase the average joe is about these things in certain States.

Worth checking out the This American Life podcast that @Pogue Mahone shared in the PC gone mad thread. Half of it is about an NRA member trying to get realistic toy guns (airsoft and BB guns that look and feel real) banned and even that is met with derision.
Not even just in the south! I have friends all over America, in the 'liberal' states, who carry guns - get given ones for their birthday, go shooting regularly etc.
It's all completely alien to me and like you said - they are otherwise indistinguishable. I just can't understand it at all.

I think we can all appreciate the 'fun' aspect when it comes to video games, and toy guns when we were kids - but treating the real thing as if it's a hobby?
You'd think America was in a war zone.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It’s genuinely mind-blowing that sentient human beings can think that someone whose child has just been shot might be upset by someone else calling for gun control immediately afterwards. What the feck?
Yeah, it's inexplicable. She's either incredibly dumb (I doubt it, though), being paid by the NRA (more than likely) or a genuine gun lover. Problem is, that she has such a big audience and many will lap it up.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Not even banned outright! The bill was to make them illegal to bring into school. The mental gymnastics used by the NRA to explain why this would be a very bad thing is a sight to behold (which is a weird phrase to use about a podcast, admittedly).

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
This is her less than 24 hours after the Manchester arena bombing:

This is her less than 24 hours after the New York attack last October:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/insider.foxnews.com/amp/article/58805

But when it's a shooting, which is an infinitely bigger issue in the US, they trot out this "too soon" bullshit every single time.

I fecking hate these people, and they all have blood on their hands.
Like I just wrote, she's either dumb, paid or a gun nut. I'm guessing paid, but who knows. She's got a massive following which is a problem, though.

Abizzz

In the absence of a satisfactory explanation for atrocities like these I make people like Tomi Lahren, Alex Jones and their likes directly morally responsible for the deaths of these kids.

Not speaking up against this is reprehensible. Aiding in getting these nutters guns is no less than conspiring. Everyone still arguing for easy access to guns has blood on their hands.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
As Jim Jefferies so eloquently put it; the only reasonable argument against gun laws is: feck off, I like guns!

KingEric7

Who said tighter gun controls would "eliminate deeper issues"? That's a straw man. Literally nobody has tried to make that point apart from you. What it would do, though, is bring down the numbers of kids being slaughtered while at school. Which is the point being made my most people in this thread. How the feck does anything you've said address that simple point?
I don't think I said they did. There's a lot of talk in a thread like this for authorities to step in, so I thought I'd put forward a perspective that aims more at tackling the origin of violence. I've just read through through the posts I've quoted (ones about mental health and gun control), and it all seems relevant to me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't think I said they did. There's a lot of talk in a thread like this for authorities to step in, so I thought I'd put forward a perspective that aims more at tackling the origin of violence. I've just read through through the posts I've quoted (ones about mental health and gun control), and it all seems relevant to me.
Can you come up with any rational reason why society shouldn't do what it can to tackle the origins of violence (which will take time) and reduce the number of children being shot by making it more difficult to own guns (which can be done immediately)?

KingEric7

Can you come up with any rational reason why society shouldn't do what it can to tackle the origins of violence and make it harder for people to shoot each other by making it more difficult to own guns?
To be honest, I think in the US given the revelations about mass surveillance and an atrocity like Project MK-Ultra, I can understand if people are not happy to give up firearms in a state like that.

Revan

Assumptionman
All in the name of 'what/if the government becomes dictatorial, so the fat wankers with guns who don't know how to use will easily overthrow the government which has rockets and drones'.

fecking disgusting that this shit still happens in a supposedly civilized country.

KingEric7

I'll take that as a "no", then.
It's again relevant, as it's assuming that the state has the best intentions of its people at heart, and that decent people are running it. There's evidence to show that the reality is not like that, so sure, it's a government's job in theory to protect people, but there are millions and millions of Americans who do not feel that the people in charge care about this, and I find that absolutely understandable.

Abizzz

To be honest, I think in the US given the revelations about mass surveillance and an atrocity like Project MK-Ultra, I can understand if people are not happy to give up firearms in a state like that.
This would make sense if the same people weren't defending things like the "Patriot Act" and "USA FREEDOM ACT".

The fact that 98-99% do makes it nothing else than a nice sounding excuse. (how fitting)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can you just explain to me how owning a gun helps you in these scenarios?

Status
Not open for further replies.