The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
This would make sense if the same people weren't defending things like the "Patriot Act" and "USA FREEDOM ACT".

The fact that 98-99% do makes it nothing else than a nice sounding excuse. (how fitting)
I don't live in the US, to be fair, but I suppose it depends on the demographic. There are a lot of people for whom the Patriot Act and the sort of outlook I refer to fall into the same category, but maybe there are people who are more in the pro-Trump/Infowars/alt-right communities that feel that way. To be honest, Trump was advertised and marketed in part through Infowars, which is a fiercely anti-Islam platform, so it's possible that people who belong in this demographic could be against gun-control, while also being in favour of the Patriot Act. To be honest, Infowars has long since lost its credibility and shouldn't be taken as being representative of the views of people within the alternative media.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I don't live in the US, to be fair, but I suppose it depends on the demographic. There are a lot of people for whom the Patriot Act and the sort of outlook I refer to fall into the same category, but maybe there are people who are more in the pro-Trump/Infowars/alt-right communities that feel that way. To be honest, Trump was advertised and marketed in part through Infowars, which is a fiercely anti-Islam platform, so it's possible that people who belong in this demographic could be against gun-control, while also being in favour of the Patriot Act. To be honest, Infowars has long since lost its credibility and shouldn't be taken as being representative of the views of people within the alternative media.
When did Infowars have credibility?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Imagine thinking a gun is going to help you against jets, tanks & nuclear weapons :lol:

I need that kind of confidence/ignorance

onemanarmy

A (stupid?) question for our US residents, would there be an interest in certain states to leave the United States and become a sovereign country? Has this ever been expressed?

I'd imagine more progressive states would want to restrict gun ownership, but are tied to the 2nd amendment.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The replies to most of the tweets about gun control kind of amaze me the most , it just boggles the mind that so many people are now convinced that this is not about guns. The whole political discussion across the world is now sadly becoming us Vs them where basically if you support a side then you automatically have to support every argument of theirs

Abizzz

There is no alternative media. There is just media, some good, some bad, and some that feature more propaganda than journalism. I'll let everyone be their own judge of which is which.

Someone who is for the Patriot Act because he is "anti-islam" is verifiably stupid though, no matter which media he reads/watches/listens. ( and that is aside from anything soemone who is "anti-one specific religion" is already anyway). If you're for guns because you fear the state you cannot defend the state giving itself essentially limitless powers (in many respects).

slyadams

Like I just wrote, she's either dumb, paid or a gun nut. I'm guessing paid, but who knows. She's got a massive following which is a problem, though.
Its so hard to figure out why she's got such a large following.....

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
A (stupid?) question for our US residents, would there be an interest in certain states to leave the United States and become a sovereign country? Has this ever been expressed?

I'd imagine more progressive states would want to restrict gun ownership, but are tied to the 2nd amendment.
I was musing on slightly different lines, is there any interest from individuals in emigrating to a saner and more civilised nation? I suppose the US is so geographically huge people will think they can find a safe corner within it somewhere.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
There is no alternative media. There is just media, some good, some bad, and some that feature more propaganda than journalism. I'll let everyone be their own judge of which is which.

Someone who is for the Patriot Act because he is "anti-islam" is verifiably stupid though, no matter which media he reads/watches/listens. ( and that is aside from anything soemone who is "anti-one specific religion" is already anyway). If you're for guns because you fear the state you cannot defend the state giving itself essentially limitless powers (in many respects).
There is a divide, in my opinion. You have the BBC, Sky, the tabloids, CNN, etc, that generally take up the same perspective of things, report the same stories, etc, and you have people that take the general outline of what is being reported largely as fact. What people call the alternative media is when people question the entire outline of what is being reported and the motives of the media, though to quite different extents at times, which is why I make the distinction when I talk more about Trump/Alex Jones stuff, which really is not very satisfactory when it comes to what I say there about questioning the entire outline of what is being reported.

Can you just explain to me how owning a gun helps you in these scenarios?
I'll drop you a PM so as to avoid this thread going too far in this direction.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Wasn't California talking about this? Called it Calexit.. don't know how serious it was or who proposed it though.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Its so hard to figure out why she's got such a large following.....
I know. She is probably the ideal poster girl for the right wing, being well spoken, beautiful and just 25.

Abizzz

There is a divide, in my opinion. You have the BBC, Sky, the tabloids, CNN, etc, that generally take up the same perspective of things, report the same stories, etc, and you have people that take the general outline of what is being reported largely as fact. What people call the alternative media is when people question the entire outline of what is being reported and the motives of the media, though to quite different extents at times, which is why I make the distinction when I talk more about Trump/Alex Jones stuff, which really is not very satisfactory when it comes to what I say there about questioning the entire outline of what is being reported.

I'll drop you a PM so as to avoid this thread going too far in this direction.
See I don't make that distinction because I don't talk about Alex Jones/INFOWARS/ETC. when i'm not insulting or mocking them. Sorry for taking this thread off-topic but I had to clarify that. Anyone who's opinion is shaped by the likes of Alex Jones is lost anyway (for all political purposes to the rest of the rational world). Discussing with them is as futile as trying to convince a dog to stop lick it's balls.

We shouldn't have to accept piles of dead children to accomodate for the intellectual poverty of these people though. Then again lenient gun laws have been around a lot longer than the garbage labelling itself "alt-media".

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Did someone already mention, 18th (eighteenth) school shooting this year, that's in 2018, a period of 6 weeks?
All the figures have been posted and as usual everyone is somehow in the juxtaposition of being equally shocked and completely unsurprised.

The thing is, the numbers at this point are just statistics. If they were just one third of what they are now, we would still be just as shocked as we are now at each individual indecent and still just as shocked at the sheer volume of times it happens. Equally though, if they were three times what they are now, we would be just as shocked at each incident and just as shocked at the sheer volume.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, if Sandy Hook couldn't change anything, nothing can.

When you have the families of infants who have been shot to pieces in an attack on a school getting abused in public by the likes of Alex Jones and his supporters who call the tragedy a "false flag" or claim that it didn't even happen because they campaign for regulations to stop other parents having to deal with that situation in the future, it's fecked up enough.

When you have supposedly civilised members of congress, blocking every single law they can so their financial backers can keep turning over profits, that's getting close to the limit of feckupery.

When the same members of congress vote to repeal legislation that is designed to make it more difficult for people with mental illnesses to own guns, you know you have reached peak feckupery.

These Midterms are possibly the most important in America's history. If there's a blue wave and there is finally a system in place to hold the Trump Admin accountable, there will be some home. If the redistricting of voting boundaries is removed from Republican hands, that's another step in the right direction.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Nobody was injured in 8 of those and two were suicides. It’s still terrible though.
I'm sure a lot of people are still traumatised though?

Death & injury aren't the only indicators of destruction caused.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm sure a lot of people are still traumatised though?

Death & injury aren't the only indicators of destruction caused.
Indeed.

A guy I coach with used to be the athletic director at the high school a few blocks from the Aurora theater shooting. He had something like 2 dozen football players there that night, two of which were shot. He says that one that wasn’t shot, but went back in multiple times to carry wounded people to safety, has the worst PTSD of the lot.

My colleague’s office was used to have “the meeting” with people to let them know they’d lost a loved one. He hasn’t gotten over that himself, to be honest.

Siorac

I like this one:

I mean, how???
My favourite is this:

The guy said, in all seriousness, that you can kill people just as easily with butter knives as with semi-automatic assault rifles.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Indeed.

A guy I coach with used to be the athletic director at the high school a few blocks from the Aurora theater shooting. He had something like 2 dozen football players there that night, two of which were shot. He says that one that wasn’t shot, but went back in multiple times to carry wounded people to safety, has the worst PTSD of the lot.

My colleague’s office was used to have “the meeting” with people to let them know they’d lost a loved one. He hasn’t gotten over that himself, to be honest.
That's terrible :(
I can't imagine what that must be like, being trapped by your own traumas so regularly.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
My favourite is this:

The guy said, in all seriousness, that you can kill people just as easily with butter knives as with semi-automatic assault rifles.
Yeah, if you want to kill it really doesn't make it easier if you have an assault rifle rather than a knife. The stupidity is deafening.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Yeah, in 1860. We had a bloody Civil War cause some states wanted to leave so they could preserve slavery.

Carolina Red

Staff

And as a result of the Civil War that @adexkola brought up, it is now definitely known to be unconstitutional to attempt to secede from the union, so it's a moot point. (SCOTUS case is Texas v. White, 1869)

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
If the NRA was black owned we all wouldn't be having this conversation. As I've said before, after Sandy Hook, America isn't going to do jack shit about guns.

Carolina Red

Staff
It was implied by stating that in 8 cases where nobody was killed, that it's not as bad as the stats suggest. That's ridiculous.
I’m going to assume you just stopped reading and didn’t see the “It’s still terrible though.” right after the first sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.