The Africa Thread

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Bit a of an economic and property boom going on there in some west African nations that seems to be going unmentioned. Think Ghana, Ivory Coast etc.

Funny thing. It was an Uber driver telling me about it. Then the next day, I saw tictok video about that. Saw some great looking malls, very modern financial centres, and beautiful properties.
A couple years ago there was this link doing the rounds on WhatsApp. It was a Chinese website saying how amazing Ghana is, and it was full of glamorous images of "great looking malls, very modern financial centres, and beautiful properties." I had several people message me, and say, they never knew Ghana had such advanced technology. The beam in their eyes wasn't reciprocated, as I understood the link for what it was. Chinese people saw the potential of real estate investments in Africa, and created an agency to make Ghana look appealing to a global audience.

Its an ambition of mine to have property in West Africa and East Africa. In West Africa, I aim to have property in Ghana, Ivory Coast and/or Cameroon (too much competition in Nigieria) and East Africa, I'm thinking Kenya, Uganda and/or Tanzania. Its my understanding people are making a lot of money from doing this in Nigeria and South Africa. I want to have 50k investment for each country, so I'll maybe looking at just 2-3 of the aforementioned countries, then I can take advantage of the currency difference.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's not lost on me just how colonisationy it sounds that people aspire to effectively buy cheap land/property in poorer countries.
While the locals are completely priced out of the market.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The Ghanaian economy is in shambles right now too btw.

AlPistacho

A couple years ago there was this link doing the rounds on WhatsApp. It was a Chinese website saying how amazing Ghana is, and it was full of glamorous images of "great looking malls, very modern financial centres, and beautiful properties." I had several people message me, and say, they never knew Ghana had such advanced technology. The beam in their eyes wasn't reciprocated, as I understood the link for what it was. Chinese people saw the potential of real estate investments in Africa, and created an agency to make Ghana look appealing to a global audience.

Its an ambition of mine to have property in West Africa and East Africa. In West Africa, I aim to have property in Ghana, Ivory Coast and/or Cameroon (too much competition in Nigieria) and East Africa, I'm thinking Kenya, Uganda and/or Tanzania. Its my understanding people are making a lot of money from doing this in Nigeria and South Africa. I want to have 50k investment for each country, so I'll maybe looking at just 2-3 of the aforementioned countries, then I can take advantage of the currency difference.
That’s probably the biggest concern that I’ve heard the amount of investment from China and what they’ll want in return.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
African Woman in the Atlantic World has my interest. I've added it to my to "books to read list." This part peaked my interest:

Shows the ways in which African woman participated in economic, soicial and political spaces in Atlantic coast societies. Focusing on diversity and change, and going beyond the study of wealthy merchant women, the contributors examine the role of petty traders and enslaved women in communities from Sierra Leone to Benguela. They analyse how women in Africa used the opportunities offered by relationships with European men, Christianity and Atlantic commerce to negotiate their social and economic positions; consider the limitations which early colonialism sought to impose on women and the strategies they employed to overcome them; the factors which fostered or restricted women's mobility, both spatially and socially; and women's economic power and its curtailment.

The Userper's Dream is a fantasty Novel - An adaptation exploring precolonial life of the Ashanti Empire. Fantasy mixed with folklore, magic and history. Yeah, I think I'll buy this for Christmas.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
@Jaqen H'ghar (or anyone else?), any thoughts on what’s happening in Sudan right now?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Reads like the start of a civil war:

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
@Jaqen H'ghar (or anyone else?), any thoughts on what’s happening in Sudan right now?
Sudan is a country where the army has leveraged it's power to become the major business and financial institution in the country. Anything that makes money, the army invests in, from banking to groceries.

Hemedti the "owner" of the RSF has used his forces to control gold mines and set up a huge financial institution.

It's basically a war of kleptocrats fighting for dominance over the country's resources.